Devil May Cry 5

Goemon

I was in love before I even swung a sword or fired a gun. That opening, the music, the ‘history of DMC’ vid, the best menu ‘ching’ sound ever used that as survived since DMC1. All of it.

Yeah sure the game itself is incredible too but the quality and love there is for this series and how much of it has been retained since it first arrived all those years ago is something special.

Also, did anyone else find it comical how quickly the ‘history of DMC’ vid skipped over DMC2 when all the others got a full plot summary :lol: GOTY man... just stop all other releases now to save embarrassment, time and wasted money!

Fuck is going on with the intro? It starts off with the van sequence and says “7 months later” quit that and you start a new game and then do the prologue bit, which according to YouTube, happens before said van cut scene.

Anyone else?

Felt like i was going through the motions until i played as V. Now that is a really novel twist on this game type. Love it.

Shame you can't replay the game with any character you choose. :facepalm: Although i imagine that's DLC for a later dater?

2 hours ago, Strafe said:

Fuck is going on with the intro? It starts off with the van sequence and says “7 months later” quit that and you start a new game and then do the prologue bit, which according to YouTube, happens before said van cut scene.

Anyone else?

It says 1 or 2 months later but that doesn’t really matter. The intro is a little misleading as it plays before and after the prologue, with the time it plays after the prologue being the only part where it’s in sequence and makes sense in terms of chronology.

I think :blink:

Oh and agree about V. He is such a beautiful change of pace and style and playing with him at a decent skill level is going to look and feel lovely. Right now almost every cool thing I have him doing feels likes its by accident rather than choice but this isn’t stopping me grinning from ear to ear watching him.

I can't believe I let this slide off my radar, it looks fantastic! I think I let the ugly new westernised faces of Dante and Nero put me off and lead me to assume that it wasn't going to be in the vein of the classic DMCs. But it sounds like a real return to form. I just googled the director of this,  Hideaki Itsuno, and he sure does have an impressive CV being behind a lot of my favourite Capcom fighters, DMC3 and even Dragon's Dogma. And that line about this being a gorgeous ps2 game. This has suddenly become a must buy for me.

1 hour ago, MardiganX said:

It says 1 or 2 months later but that doesn’t really matter. The intro is a little misleading as it plays before and after the prologue, with the time it plays after the prologue being the only part where it’s in sequence and makes sense in terms of chronology.

I think :blink:

It playing twice must be some sort of mistake. I mean...why 

This seems to be £39.99 absolutely everywhere, even at GAME. Makes me think it’ll be about £25 in two weeks. 

I’ve got Crackdown and Trials on the go and have Shadow fo the Tomb Raider and JC4 waiting on Game Pass, but I suspect I might come back from town with this a bit later. 

42 minutes ago, spanx said:

I feel I want to buy this not just because it looks great, but also because it’s a proper, 10-15 hour single player GAME, with no bullshit. 

Never played a DMC though

Multiply that by 10 and you are closer to the kind of time this should be getting. Multiple play throughs or not at all ;)

Absolutely agree on how good it is to have a release that is not overwhelmed with 5 different versions, loot boxes, upgrade packs and all the other toxic shite that plagues top end releases nowadays. Even the deluxe version with its lovely 100k orb boost that is purely for single player is cheaper than most standard versions of other games. And like DMC3 and 4 I will happily pay for any extra content or special editions because the initial approach has been simply to release an excellent single player experience. 

30 minutes ago, Adrock said:

Any news on the quality of the PC version?

It seems to be just as good as RE2 is, to be honest. Not as many options to tweak things like you did in that game, and some slightly odd definitions on stuff - some stuff has settings like 'low', but then the only other thing to set it to is 'variable', which I'm not sure I understand!

Load times are substantially better than on the consoles as far as I can tell. I'm only running the thing on an HDD at the minute, but whilst there are a lot of them, they're only two or three seconds long.

However, it's rock solid as far as I've seen...but as I'm now in the uber-nerd category of a 2080ti owner, my comments are probably as useful as ray tracing is at the moment ;)

14 hours ago, MardiganX said:

Also, did anyone else find it comical how quickly the ‘history of DMC’ vid skipped over DMC2 when all the others got a full plot summary :lol: GOTY man... just stop all other releases now to save embarrassment, time and wasted money!

Properly LOLed at that moment, was literally like one line. If you blinked then you missed it.

2 hours literally vanished in an instant, playing this morning. Barely felt like I did anything, sooo much learning to be done.

Still not sure about the devil breaker system. At the very least it feels like end game stuff where you’ll plan your mission by buying the order of the arms you want based on how you want to tackle the level.

17 minutes ago, Strafe said:

You can’t change devil hunter to human (easy) difficulty without replaying the game, basically. I could understand you can’t move up a grade without clearing the previous...but down?

Normally after failing a few times the game will ask if you want to drop the difficulty

12 minutes ago, Goemon said:

At the very least it feels like end game stuff where you’ll plan your mission by buying the order of the arms you want based on how you want to tackle the level.

YES!!! At the moment they all look great and at best are an extra mechanic to mix in for style and damage but at top level and with practice you can have a tactical load out, specific points at which you know you are going to detonate / overpower them and they will become as important as a sword. A lot of it will come down to style of play aswell, where the benefits of a couple of arm types might be all you want or need and so just structure everything around them. Options options options and a system that can cope with any one you go for!

I can already see how different arms work better for different enemy types but I’m fucked if I know how to really exploit yet. That’s what DMC is all about though... and haven’t even got a hold of the main man yet :omg:

Yes, there’s one arm (I forget the name) that’s good for piercing blocking enemies and an enemy that loves the block, so at higher levels it will become a strategy for sure.

One of the tips kinda confirms later play as it says you have to decide the timing of wanting to play reserve or go all out, but you can’t really determine this until you really know the level and what’s coming.

1 hour ago, Adrock said:

I've got a 1060, I think, so hopefully that'll stand me in decent enough stead to play it at a suitable level. Cheers @JoeK.

It runs super smooth on my 970 with everything on high/ultra so you will be fine.