Devil May Cry 5

Goemon

Though I remain unconvinced about Nero's disposable weapon arm things (possibly because I have no idea how to use them properly) and I'm rubbish with V, this is an incredible experience all round. I don't think I'll ever manage the ridiculously stylish beatdowns that litter YouTube, but I'll be happy if I can somehow cheese my way through getting all S ranks and clear the Bloody Palace with all three main characters. One day...

I think Nero’s disposable arm is multiple layers of understanding.

At it’s lowest you’re just using them as you find them, and often complete a level literally using 1 or 2

At it’s most advanced, you know a level inside out, you plan how you’re going to tackle each set of enemies using what arms and then purchase your arm order.

I’ve never been at this level but I imagine it’s pretty satisfying. I’m at a level where I’m happy to blow an arm in order to get one that I think will be more ‘handy‘ :hat: but I’m no where near planning a level out.

I don’t think I’ll ever be at a skill level that will allow me to finish Hell and Hell mode. Even after 100s hours of playing these games I barely get above mediocre in skill. TBH I could probably get further but something else always gets in the way.

The game is there for you if you want to do that though, which is what makes these games amazing. It’s literally as deep as you want to go. 

Finished it (well, I've done the 15 hour tutorial). Kinda leaned into just winging in and using Gold Orbs by the end, but it was so much fun, I don't mind. I'd love to come back to this and become excellent at it but I've got Hitman 1-3 waiting for me and Demon's Souls, so maybe another time.

Until next time, Jackpot!

• 1 year later...

PS5 has turbo mode, and Legendary Dark Knight mode (way more demon guys on screen). The loading is much faster, tho still very frequent

Turbo mode is the main one tho, DMC5 has more of a weighty, kinda sluggish feel to its predecessors and gravity is weaker so the speed boost is really nice (x1.2 times faster)

Did anyone ever have any issues with the vertical camera tilt? Whenever I try moving it up and down it also pans aggressively left or right unless I push it precisely down the middle, like there’s zero deadzone to it, or like my controller’s fukt (it isn’t).

51 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

WTF?

DMC3 is the best of all these kind of games. Get that on your PVM. 

It’s been ready to go for years now. I always bounce off after a few levels because work gets in the way. I just had to fix a nightmare work scenario this weekend just gone, so I’m trying to be strategic with my timing now. @ZOK playing Bayonetta also got me back in the mood for some of this style of gameplay.

I’m also afraid that if I play DMC3 fully through first I won’t want to bother with any of the others.

dmc3 is the closest any of them has come for me to providing that feeling of sparring in a fighting game, while fighting Vergil. 

DMC5 was a really cool thing that I spent probably a decade waiting for, but nothing will top 3 for me I reckon. That said I'd probably still recommend 5 to people first cause of the multiple characters you can play as, and exceed/max-act is too much fun. Better than witch time, or zandatsu or dodge offset or whatever, your sword becomes your main movement options if you want it to be.

I have the best memories of DMC3 when it came out it totally blew my mind. As good as 4 and 5 were too, they just didn't have quite the same impact, as they've just built on 3's foundation.

It was criticised at the time but I actually loved the way you had to traverse back through Nero's levels as Dante in 4. I'm gonna play through it again, but 5 seemed a tad disappointing to me only because the environments were a little samey and a bit dull. The combat was as good as any of the other games though if not better.

One thing DMC does so well is some totally off the wall weapon stuff with Dante - I thought Nevan was super cool in DMC3, but DMC5 has a bloody dual-chainsaw transforming motorbike! 😆

I'm at a very comfortable point in the game where I'm feeling like I'm maxing out my limited starting toolkit, thinking to myself that I could be doing with something, only to then find that very something available in the shop. I'll then buy the upgrade I fancy and then effortlessly work it into my routine. I repeated the first secret mission about 20 times last night experimenting over and over, mainly trying to time the on-hit Exceed charges. That really does feel a bit like the inputs for Dodge-Offset on Bayonetta, and as such I'm in two minds about changing the Exceed button over to R2. I've got jump on there currently for the evade/Table Hop input, but then I'm finding Table Hop to be stupendously strict on the timing (even more so than Bat Within), and the benefit when triggered isn't really worth it. As such I've not upgraded it yet, so maybe it gets better.

Outside of technicalities it's great to be playing a Capcom game again. I genuinely can't remember the last time. Super Street Fighter 4 AE? 😆 It definitely looks, sounds, and feels like a Capcom game - like I'm returning home after 10/20 years away. How are the haptics on the PS5 version? This is definitely on my list of PS5 potentials, despite already playing on a 3080.

Fully upgraded table hopper gives you iframes for days, but generally it's the last tool in Nero's kit I find myself reaching for. Still, you can shimmy on over to the enemy through all sorts of bullshit when you get it to level 3.

The PS5 version has haptics on the exceed system I think, tho I turned that off cause it gets in the way imo. PC is the way to go tho imo, the modding scene for DMC5 is insane. Hard to get it all working sometimes, but it is transformative for this game.