Devil May Cry 5

Goemon

Wish they’d done a bit more with the multiplayer.

It’s SUPER cool seeing someone else in the game playing as one of the other characters while you’re fighting but it just doesn’t happen enough. I’m on mission 17 now and I think I can only name 3 times where I’ve seen other players actually doing stuff.

I’m now praying for a 3 player bloody palace mode. I would play the shit out of that.

21 hours ago, Fallows said:

Some amazing bosses. Absolutely amazing. I'm cack-handing them at the minute in an attempt to unlock everything as fast as possible into my 1-2 hours per day game time.

Right there with you my friend.

My first playthrough of these games (to date, DMC4, DmC and Bayonetta - I started playing DMC3 via the the DMC collection on the 360 and stalled somewhere around the last few levels :( ) is almost always a button-mashing frenzy on Devil Hunter, with gratuitious use of continues throughout, then gradually learning the game in more depth as button-mashing doesn't get you far on SoS or DMD difficulty.

It just occurred to me perhaps I should have gone with Human first, since I would finish my first run faster and even unlock new techniques faster (I imagine that lower difficulties give out more red orbs?), but that kind of depends on whether the game will give me the Human completion achievement on finishing Devil Hunter or if it's going to be obstinately old-school and make me play through that as well (and S rank all the levels whilst I'm at it). On the other hand, going through gloriously overpowered will be fun. I can't say that I'm looking forward to Hell and Hell mode though, as I remember that being a total ballache in DMC4 (the second Nero vs Dante encounter took me fucking hours).

With that all said, I have a habit of learning the minimum number of combos to get through these type of games (definitely DMC4 and Bayonetta, plus Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 come to think of it), so I like to think of myself as being in the lowest-tier of filthy casuals who will do what it necessary to complete the game's achievements, but lack the patience to spend hours playing Bloody Palace mode blind-folded or whatever it is the god-tier players do in their spare time.

Don't get me wrong. I admire those with the patience and skills to do all the jump-cancelling stuff and make it look good, but I don't think I can manage it. :ph34r:

I've been wondering why things have been largely hit or miss and it turns out the analogue on my pad is busted and only partially recognises directional inputs. :doh: Serves me right for letting the little one run around with it.

1 hour ago, Wishdokta said:

The Void flagged up a dodgy shoulder microswitch on my pad, it would flicker every few seconds with a constant press. Drenched both switches with IPA then dried out with some compressed air, spot on now. Looks like I’ll have a nice Sunday Morning job testing all my pads.

e-top-12-ipa-beers.jpg

Just completed Devil Hunter mode, on to Son of Sparda

Slightly concerned about the difficulty of the end of DH difficulty, some of it is pretty tough. I’m a glutton for punishment and won’t continue, but even so it took numerous attempts to do some sections, so more casual players may find it tricky.

Still not even close to getting all the upgrades for everyone. I think it will take at least another playthough to get everything.

Hardly found any secret missions either, only like 4 of 12 and even then I couldn’t do one of them as I didn’t have enemy step.

Oh and the story makes ZERO sense.

One thing that is going to become noticeable, which @Kayin Amoh mentioned, was the load times. The game has story, loading, mission screen, loading, more story, loading, which I didn’t mind when I was watching the story but now I’m just there for the gameplay it becomes more glaring as it can take 3 separate loads just to get to the action. Possibly you can bypass this by selecting missions directly but starting the story again made it stand out.

They’ve left it wild open for DLC too, will be interesting to see what lands.

2 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

Question about Dante, are you supposed to mix up styles on the fly? Or just stick to one that suits you the most? Or switch depending on the situation?

This also confused me when I was playing Devil may Cry 4 as a warm up for this.

That’s the beauty, it’s whatever you’re comfortable with.

On my first play through I mainly switched depending on the situation. However if you watch top players videos you’ll literally see them switching mid combo

Mission 14 (?) spoilers (at least the fight after Dante does the thing with that other thing)

Spoiler

Okay, by this point I'm getting faintly annoyed by the fact that the story has given me three attempts at Urizen (with another one to follow possibly), and all of them were doomed and thus felt a bit pointless. The first fight in particular was a case of just dying and then the cut-scene playing. The second one I guess was pointless as it was only Mission 10, and even the grand reveal of the SDT (in my head this is Super Devil Trigger versus the Sin Devil Trigger) was rendered a bit moot by the fact it was another battle where you didn't actually get to kill Urizen.

Maybe it's just psychological, but having to fight a boss multiple times only to lose or have him bugger off is beginning to get annoying.

That said, smashing the fuck out of people with the bike, doing a spin on their faces and then devil triggering in the middle for added carnage is not getting old any time soon. Even if I have no clue what I'm doing, it's glorious fun.

So I've been replaying some early missions today going for S Ranks.  Regarding V, is it just me or does he sometimes just completely fail at eliminating enemies?  It's like he teleports over, but misses? 

This happens to me quite a bit. I think it may be to do with either the range, or if something is in between V and the enemy you are about to kill.

Also, not sure if its just me, but I struggle to get the panther to attack the enemies that i want, and feel like i'm missing something. I lock onto the enemy, and i'm pressing triangle, along with different combinations of analogue movement, but sometimes the panther ends up attacking thin air.

I do quite like V, but he is nowhere near as fun to play with as Nero or Dante.

20 minutes ago, cohen205 said:

This happens to me quite a bit. I think it may be to do with either the range, or if something is in between V and the enemy you are about to kill.

Also, not sure if its just me, but I struggle to get the panther to attack the enemies that i want, and feel like i'm missing something. I lock onto the enemy, and i'm pressing triangle, along with different combinations of analogue movement, but sometimes the panther ends up attacking thin air.

I do quite like V, but he is nowhere near as fun to play with as Nero or Dante.

I think I figured out my problem, if I let V hit the floor before trying to finish off the enemy it very rarely goes wrong.  I found if I finish an enemy midair, then immediately try and finish another V just spazzes out. 

I love V, the fights feel very chaotic and crazy with him.  To help out with Shadow getting where you want him, I find a good tactic is to do V's side dash as it summons Shadow back to your location.   Another top tip is to basically abuse the hell out of auto attack (L2 and either summon button), especially useful to set Griffon on auto and manually control Shadow.  Of course this means you lose control of the variety of combos for style ranks, but it can be quite nice if you want to concentrate on reading poetry.  :D

While we're half-moaning, I do find it very annoying that you can't cycle through Nero's arms.  And even more annoying that any arm you pick up in the stage becomes the one you're currently using.