Goemon

Devil May Cry 5

Had a couple of goes of this earlier. It’s too much for my tiny mind to take.

Multiple systems on the go, exceed, devil bringer, general combat, it was proper noobville. 

Not it sure about the Devil Bringer (arm) system. Different arms do different things but they’re...pick ups!? There’s arms scattered everywhere, which I find this totally bizarre. Certain moves basically blow the arm so you can pick up another, you can hold up to 4.

I guess they like the idea of using the arm in different ways leads to different ways to tackle the next section. One liberal use game saw me fighting an entire set of enemies without an arm at all!

In my mind though I saw the arm to be like the technique system where switching techniques allows you to do different things with the arm.

Can’t tell how this will all play out as the demo is way too small.

Biggest crime though, was that there’s a load mid-level. There’s no need for this, it just breaks the flow

I can see already this game will suck time away learning combat, which makes me nervous because as mentioned it’s a busy period and I’m going to want to play everything. >< 1st world problems.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, ronin said:

How do you switch beteeen devil bringers?

From what I can tell you don’t. You have up to 4 in your list, depending you what you want to use you have to blow the ones prior.

This is another reason I’m not sure about the system. I guess if you could switch you would cycle and you’d never need to pick another up.

Just reading about the “break away” which is a specific move to destroy the arm it mentions that you can use it to escape damage so I’m guessing it has invincibility frames to save you but at the cost of an arm.

• Upvote 2

I mean the devil breaker, sorry.

Yeah I thought I was missing something with switching them around but its probably like you say. Its weird how the breaker parts are laying around to pick up, maybe it makes sense in the context of the full game.

Oh shit, just jumped back in for another go...

It looks like you can parry an attack at the cost of an arm. Basically you just press B as you’re about to be hit. It deflects the attack but your arm blows

Edit: need to investigate this more. Seems I’m still taking damage so I’m not sure why you would use it...

43 minutes ago, Goemon said:

Oh shit, just jumped back in for another go...

It looks like you can parry an attack at the cost of an arm. Basically you just press B as you’re about to be hit. It deflects the attack but your arm blows

Edit: need to investigate this more. Seems I’m still taking damage so I’m not sure why you would use it...

If it's the use I'm thinking of, enemies can grab you which is when you press LB to break out. For instance, the boss can suck you into his chest and spit you across the battlefield, if you tab LB while trapped you'll shatter one to escape.

6 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

If it's the use I'm thinking of, enemies can grab you which is when you press LB to break out. For instance, the boss can suck you into his chest and spit you across the battlefield, if you tab LB while trapped you'll shatter one to escape.

No, this is different. There’s a move in the list called “scapegoat” which by the explanation sounds like you press B or you’re holding B as you’re hit and it somehow negates the attack. I don’t really understand it though as I’m still taking damage and I have the animation of the arm exploding so I don’t know what the benefit is...

This chat of arms and blowing and parries is all great but it’s quite clear this is Nero you are talking about. What the fuuuuuuuck is the crack with Dante?

(I don’t have an XBone so will need to rely on you guys to confirm how good things are looking)

• Upvote 1

I don't usually care much about raw fidelity when it comes to presentation (especially when the art style can carry a game, see Vampyr) but these visuals are so inconsistent. The cutscenes look really good, the character models and animation in particular but then during gameplay it all just looks so drab and grey. Honestly looks like an early 360 game at points and the camera doesn't look too hot either. 

Man, the more I see the more I'm getting dehyped. :/

It’s not something that actually bothers me or will dampen my enjoyment at all, but the environments in Capcoms games of this type always look so empty and sterile. Like fighting in an empty movie set. 

• Upvote 1

Easy Allies has a good preview in which Ben goes in-depth on the mechanics. It all sounds very impressive, you get three characters with completely different systems that all have a ton of thought behind them. I wouldn't be surprised if - mechanically - this becomes the best character action game out there. Itsuno is just that good.

Video is not very spoilery btw. It's good stuff.

Remember when early 360 games looked like this? Me neither.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

Wow I think I see royal guard in that 3rd GIF. It looks incredible. 

To the complaints about the environments being sterile- remember this is running at 60fps you can’t expext fully destructible environments with dynamic time of day bs, it’s all in service of gameplay.

the animation is stonking. Day 1 even though I’ll barely have time to play it. Got to support the kind of games you like or they will go extinct.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, VN1X said:

but then during gameplay it all just looks so drab and grey.

This helps highlight weak-spots, hit-confirms, animation prompts, all kinds of stuff. You won't notice the backgrounds once the action gets going and that's the whole point.

• Upvote 4

No demo impressions??

I was impressed by how slick it all was, everything felt like classic DMC although without any moves unlocked it was a bit limited.

Some things I couldn't quite figure out - devil arms are expendable items now? I was aware I was collecting them but couldn't see how to select from the ones I had in my inventory - and from a single run I couldn't understand how and why they were getting used up.

The boss fight was spectacular and seemed to have all the necessary dodge cues etc, but with the transitions from one arena to the next it was a little overwhelming.

I also felt a little like the camera was too close to the not-Dante guy (I assume this is Nero?) and wanted it to back off a bit so I could see more of the surroundings.

Still, I would be all over pre-ordering it if I was younger me. I'm hesitating because I haven't even played Bloodborne yet.

I kinda lost my patience when I died on the boss and it went back to the beginning again. I haaaaate that. Otherwise pretty good. Same old spongy enemies though, but that’s the way they do things I guess.

The only thing I didnt get on with was the dodge controls. Having to press 2 buttons and move the stick seemed a bit clunky. Took me a while to get used to that and beat the boss.

1 minute ago, Mr Ben said:

The only thing I didnt get on with was the dodge controls. Having to press 2 buttons and move the stick seemed a bit clunky. Took me a while to get used to that and beat the boss.

I couldn't stop trying to dodge by pressing R1. Think it's from all that time with Bayonetta. Just feels instinctive now.

It all felt slick anyway, but I wasn't able to do anything especially interesting with combos or whatever. Would need time to get the hang of the controls.

I'm sure it's something I'll play at some point, but I'm not in any rush.

2 hours ago, Sane said:

I'm not convinced by the expendable arm stuff but other than that it looks great. Classic DMC gameplay :wub:.

Surely the full game will at some point give you the option to switch arms around rather than detonating / super powering them to change? If not then I guess they should be loaded up depending on your play style or combat scenario. Still makes the random drops mid level a bit jarring but given the quality of everything else I trust that this going to be a sensational game.

DMC3 is probably my most played game of all time going by the hours spent in the original and that I have bought every version of it that has been released since. It’s a pretty short demo but from what I have played and seen in videos I expect this is going to be a GOTY contender for me.

The most important thing I took away from the demo is how perfectly designed that boss fight is. At first it’s all overwhelming and you get skelped about like a rag doll but a few tries later and there is an entire system of moves, counters, attacks and tricks that encourage you to play without taking a hit. THAT is what DMC has always been about for me and it seems like this is going to deliver the goods. Day one for me and most likely every day after that for a long time!

• Upvote 2