Forza Horizon 4 - Open-UK Racing

djbhammer

• 2 weeks later...

I've just started playing this on PC, it's great! I bounced off 1 & 2 within an hour but this one has actually grabbed me. There are so many cars though I only have a few at present. I've just qualified for winter, is there loads more content, I'm worried I seem to have got through the first two seasons and only just started?

It runs amazing on my PC too, 4k 60fps it's beautiful and fun though as I don't drive in real life I'm constantly driving on the wrong side of the road as in nearly every other driving game you have to drive on the right 😄

19 minutes ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

The structure seems a bit weird tbh, you wizz through the seasons and then it opens up a massive load of online'y events and stuff on top. Billions of icons.

Oh ok, I've just got the standard gamepass version at the moment I'm not sure that allows online even on PC. I might just buy the full version tbh as there's not much else on PC Gamepass I want I basically used the £1 offer as a demo tool.

6 hours ago, Minion said:

I've just started playing this on PC, it's great! I bounced off 1 & 2 within an hour but this one has actually grabbed me. There are so many cars though I only have a few at present. I've just qualified for winter, is there loads more content, I'm worried I seem to have got through the first two seasons and only just started?

It runs amazing on my PC too, 4k 60fps it's beautiful and fun though as I don't drive in real life I'm constantly driving on the wrong side of the road as in nearly every other driving game you have to drive on the right 😄

It takes you through all 4 seasons as a tutorial and then you join everyone else where the season changes... well about now actually, it's Thursday afternoon every week and everyone playing is on the same season.

4 hours ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

The structure seems a bit weird tbh, you wizz through the seasons and then it opens up a massive load of online'y events and stuff on top. Billions of icons.

Map filter :D

I'm really digging this, I'm often finding myself with a huge grin on my face as I'm throwing my car around bends teetering on the edge of losing control and just managing to get it back and what a variety of cars! It's excellent and the first driving game I've ever managed to commit to cockpit view as it's a total blast! (might be also that my current tv is the biggest I've had). 

Oh and I've got the Cyberpunk car, amazing!

There are some simple QOL improvements that I would like added, like test drive a car before buying, be able to compare stats side by side (unless I've missed that option) without flitting between the two cars and trying to remember the values, it's not always clear what cars are suitable for some events. Otherwise though this is fucking fantastic and I might just buy the ultimate edition for £43 on cdkeys and FH5 is now a day1 purchase for me.

• 2 weeks later...

So I just have to keep an eye out for them? That's kinda annoying.

Think I might just start going through all the offline stuff. I beat all the road races yesterday, I'm well on my way to 3 starring all the Speed Cameras thanks to the Konisegg Aguera (no idea how to spell either of those words). I seem to have pretty much rinsed the off road and cross country stuff already, so I may polish those off and do the Street Scene ones - it's hilarious to do these in a Transit Van, when the AI is driving Lambos and the like.

Playing this on a Series S has completely revitalised the game for me.

On 10/09/2021 at 11:31, ScouserInExile said:

So I just have to keep an eye out for them? That's kinda annoying.

Think I might just start going through all the offline stuff. I beat all the road races yesterday, I'm well on my way to 3 starring all the Speed Cameras thanks to the Konisegg Aguera (no idea how to spell either of those words). I seem to have pretty much rinsed the off road and cross country stuff already, so I may polish those off and do the Street Scene ones - it's hilarious to do these in a Transit Van, when the AI is driving Lambos and the like.

Playing this on a Series S has completely revitalised the game for me.

There's one every week. Easiest way to spot them is to set the map filter to 'Seasonal Events' and it will only show you the various events & series for that week (they change with the season, so every Thursday). Completing the weekly events at higher difficulty earns you specific prizes (a car for the races and spins for the PR stunts). Completing a certain percentage of them each week also unlocks rarer rewards. You can also earn a special type of currency which you can spend on certain rare items which change week to week. Every 4 weeks is called a series and they add new cars and events and what not (you can see what they've added here : https://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/fh4-series-33 ). They only added 2 cars this time so I'm guessing they are winding down the monthly updates as FH5 approaches.

On 10/09/2021 at 10:23, ScouserInExile said:

Ah, I didn't realise that was what it was. It's a bit annoying there's no explanations for them.

Speaking of which: Showcase Remix Events? What're they?

On 10/09/2021 at 10:49, Boozy The Clown said:

They were weekly new versions of the showcase races in the Forzathon section. Race the Vulcan bomber in a taxi, do the halo run in a ferrari type events. I don't think they'll be happening anymore though.

On 10/09/2021 at 10:52, SweatyTravolta said:

They still happen, they're in the seasonal challenges. 

7 hours ago, LowCostMonkey said:

There's one every week. Easiest way to spot them is to set the map filter to 'Seasonal Events' and it will only show you the various events & series for that week (they change with the season, so every Thursday). Completing the weekly events at higher difficulty earns you specific prizes (a car for the races and spins for the PR stunts). Completing a certain percentage of them each week also unlocks rarer rewards. You can also earn a special type of currency which you can spend on certain rare items which change week to week. Every 4 weeks is called a series and they add new cars and events and what not (you can see what they've added here : https://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/news/fh4-series-33 ). They only added 2 cars this time so I'm guessing they are winding down the monthly updates as FH5 approaches.

They stopped adding new cars and showcase remixes 2 months ago. 

They still add forzathon weekly stuff but remixes won't be returning. 

I'll take the humble apologies as given.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't believe they didn't re-make the wrecked car barn in Lego. Lazy lazy lazy

edit: actually I wonder if TLG mandated the devco weren't allowed to design any Lego built assets themselves, which is why the town etc is made up of loads of copypasted modular buildings and whatnot. Also in a game that already has an 'explode' option when looking at car models it doesn't dissasemble the speed racer vehicles into constituent bricks? lazy lazy lazy.

On 10/09/2021 at 16:14, Girth Certificate said:

The structure of this game is an absolute fucking disaster. I hope 5 is less of a convoluted nightmare.

:D Agree completely. I found it easier not to treat it like a traditional arcade racing game just bunch of events you can participate in. Its a odd "racing" game... feels more like a car RPG than anything else. Which actually thinking about it probably is....CARPG... :D 

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of a crosspost from the fh5 thread so apols for that, but just had to say that I've literally started this yesterday (!) and at first was also a bit confused by the structure, so the discussion above makes me feel a bit better!

Think I've got my head around it all now, but will add that I hope as the online side of fh4 winds down they make the 'hard to find' cars available by other means, even if it's just to stick them up at the autoshow. I get why some rare drops can drive engagement a bit during the prime of competetive community engagement, but when that's tailed off it'd be a bit annoying for any completionist types to be locked out of some novel content. Especially when the steam version hasnt actually been around that long. On that note though I will say that the pc version does run brilliantly, so they nailed that.