Forza Horizon 4 - Open-UK Racing

2 minutes ago, Pob said:

One thing I couldn’t work out with they was where all the Lego cars are. I got the Mini you start with but then couldn’t see how you buy or win more. 

Just keep playing through the "Missions", you won't be able to miss them.

7 hours ago, Pob said:

One thing I couldn’t work out with they was where all the Lego cars are. I got the Mini you start with but then couldn’t see how you buy or win more. 

As suggested you need to collect the bricks just doing the races etc. After a couple of builds you will collect bricks to build a Ferrari F40 (which is an utter beast, you also get to do a race to win the non Lego version). I assume more will come as you continue onwards.

So glad I retried this after the load times on bone putting me off, it really is a glorious game.

12 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I got the achievements for driving all roads the other day. Frustratingly, it popped at 530/531 and I can’t find the last bit of road I need to hit to get 531. 

I had to sit right in front of the TV with the map zoomed in to find my last few roads.

14 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I got the achievements for driving all roads the other day. Frustratingly, it popped at 530/531 and I can’t find the last bit of road I need to hit to get 531. 

Just let it go! I think it’s bugged anyway which is why they allow the achievement to pop before you get them all. 

26 minutes ago, ScouserInExile said:

Does anyone play this with a wheel? Hopefully, a G290 will be showing up tomorrow so I'm looking at what I can use it with to get my money's worth. This and FM7 are top of the list...

Yes it works surprisingly well.... I always felt it was a game more geared towards a pad. Also use a G920 great wheel... 

4 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

Interesting what the devs say about the series x upgrades over one x and pc, will be interesting to know what the ‘watch this space’ news will be....

What did they say about improvements over PC as that is already running the game on max settings at 4K/120?

I'd be very surprised if the Series X can bring tricks that a PC could not...

Stupid question - when you select a new car at your house, you get a sequence where you can move the camera around the car and open the boot, climb into the driver's seat, etc. Is it deliberate that the height of the camera in that bit is set to Ronnie Corbett level? It feels like I can move round the car at the level of the headlights, but no higher, which feels extremely weird.

23 minutes ago, K said:

Stupid question - when you select a new car at your house, you get a sequence where you can move the camera around the car and open the boot, climb into the driver's seat, etc. Is it deliberate that the height of the camera in that bit is set to Ronnie Corbett level? It feels like I can move round the car at the level of the headlights, but no higher, which feels extremely weird.

If I am not mistaken (and I sometimes am) you can jump from a low view to a high view. I can't recall how, though. Mash the buttons and see?

2 minutes ago, Meers said:

If I am not mistaken (and I sometimes am) you can jump from a low view to a high view. I can't recall how, though. Mash the buttons and see?

Oh boy, have I mashed the buttons. It feels like there must be a way of doing it, but I can't figure out how. The low view does remind me a bit of running round my dad's car as a child - and given that its Forza Horizon, I can run round the actual Ford Capri he used to own - but it would be good to have a grown man view as well.

2 minutes ago, K said:

Oh boy, have I mashed the buttons. It feels like there must be a way of doing it, but I can't figure out how. The low view does remind me a bit of running round my dad's car as a child - and given that its Forza Horizon, I can run round the actual Ford Capri he used to own - but it would be good to have a grown man view as well.

Did you mash the thumbsticks as well? Click them I mean.

• 2 weeks later...

Been playing this on and off for a few months and I am obviously as thick as pig shit because I just can’t work out the structure of it at all. Every hour or two, half a dozen new icons will appear with no particular explanation. They’ve also just introduced championships which seem to be season related and have a time limit on them. There doesn’t seem to be any explanation of what to do next or what you’re working towards, although it’s still good fun driving around and doing random events etc.

3 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Been playing this on and off for a few months and I am obviously as thick as pig shit because I just can’t work out the structure of it at all. Every hour or two, half a dozen new icons will appear with no particular explanation. They’ve also just introduced championships which seem to be season related and have a time limit on them. There doesn’t seem to be any explanation of what to do next or what you’re working towards, although it’s still good fun driving around and doing random events etc.

Nope that is quite normal. It's the most unstructured racing game I have ever played. Just pick events and enter them. Its more like a car based RPG than anything else. Just level up and earn money by doing "stuff".

Not a huge fan of how its designed in terms of a game. However as tech showcase and a game to just have fun in its great. Just go with the flow and have fun. Forget old school structure rules they are out of the window. 

10 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Here is my guide to getting the most out of FH4:

I love the idea of a racing rpg but sadly it doesn't entirely feel like that in progression. The structure for sure, I actually love being able to not actually spend time in menus picking a race to compete in, sometimes I'll just pick a car, drive around freely enjoying the scenery. If I approach an incomplete event, I'll do it. Great. 

The problem is more that in about a week of installing the game, I got showered with super cars and money so I can compete in any event and win them all if I drive OK. 

Would have been nice to be forced to compete in old bangers and hope to either rely on excellent driving or time spent winning some upgrades. Or it not be about money but xp in a category. Eg start with a classic jeep before getting a warthog. Something like that anyway... 

Perhaps that might put off some. Personally a full on JRPG experience but with driving instead of turn based battles would be exciting for me. They strike the balance of skill getting you so fare, but you can't fight something twice your level without an insta kill. That would port well to cars and engines I think. 

It's nto really a complaint though. With quick resume this game fits in perfectly with the twenty minutes I might have while something is in the oven, my brain can't get deep into anything or I don't have time for two hours of yakuza, like a dragon cut scenes. 

I love the progression in a racing game of starting at the bottom with the slowest cars and working your way towards the faster cars. Like in the older Gran Turismo games having an MX5 or MR2 and earning the faster cars. 

As much as I love FH4 I would love a more structured experience. 

That’s all good, it’s a really enjoyable game to play, but it’s an OCD sufferers worst nightmare and I just wanted to check I wasn’t missing anything. Some nice suggestions from @Pob too, I will throw those into the mix. Only thing missing for me is the London DLC to give it that full MSR/PGR vibe, although Edinburgh is obviously ace.

On 24/11/2020 at 01:16, HarryBizzle said:

It's been a while, but I think there is a dragstrip on the frozen lake that only shows up in the winter season, that counts as a road

I haven't a fucking clue what I'm doing half the time but that's okay - it's a good, fun game and I don't think there's anything wrong with a game that will allow you to drop in and out for as long or as little as you are able to.

'Just one more skill score' etc etc

I've only been playing it for three weeks but it's become part of my gaming routine now - I just have a quick look at what new races are available and have a go at them. I'm not chasing any score or level (I'm utterly bamboozled by all the different measurements/currencies, as I am by the apparently infinite number of menu screens, and what they're all for), just having fun bimbling around from race to race. When there aren't any new ones left on the map I leave it until next time. I'm probably missing loads of depth but I'm enjoying it as a stunning looking arcade racer.

I'm firmly on the fantastic fun arcade game fence.  Yes the GUI is a messy but you barely have to interact with it after the first few hours. On the new xbox its so quick it makes for a fantastic drop in racer. I've no interest in it being more serious or career based, keep all that for Motorsport.