rllmuk
djbhammer

Forza Horizon 4 - Open-UK Racing

Ten minutes ago I'd never played a Forza game before. I just gave Forza Horizon 4 a cursory try on Game Pass.

What a miserable first impression. I felt like I was playing a Youtube advert, the sort of commercial you immediately mute and minimise until it's finished. There were these voiceovers that were speaking English words but in combinations that made absolutely no sense. 'We've lost yellow.' 'Spin it for me, green!' I spent the whole opening going, 'What? What? Shut up!' And for some reason the game insisted on spoiling all the seasons and weather effects in the first few minutes, as though it was trying to convince me to buy a game I was already playing.

I was under the impression this was some kind of drive leisurely around the beautiful countryside at your own pace kind of game. It's a track racer?

• Downvote 3
  • Empathy 1

Ok, I managed to make my way out into the countryside after all and it's very beautiful. I can't figure out how to mute the radio completely though. I can turn off the DJ and the GPS but the radio can only be muted to 1, not 0, meaning I have to mute the whole game to be able to play it without dreadful music.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

25 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

Ten minutes ago I'd never played a Forza game before. I just gave Forza Horizon 4 a cursory try on Game Pass.

What a miserable first impression. I felt like I was playing a Youtube advert, the sort of commercial you immediately mute and minimise until it's finished. There were these voiceovers that were speaking English words but in combinations that made absolutely no sense. 'We've lost yellow.' 'Spin it for me, green!' I spent the whole opening going, 'What? What? Shut up!' And for some reason the game insisted on spoiling all the seasons and weather effects in the first few minutes, as though it was trying to convince me to buy a game I'm already playing.

I was under the impression this was some kind of drive leisurely around the beautiful countryside at your own pace kind of game. It's a track racer?

It's a game that leans towards younger gamers IMHO. Deep down under all the "bling" there is a great arcade racer game in there just seems to be little structure to it all in terms of how older arcade racers used to be!

I played it a fair bit when it came out on GP lovely graphics did all the showcase events etc. Also did some of the "career" events - the stuntman one was fun.

In the end it's a decent arcade racer when not many are being made. Recently gone back to playing PGR4 myself as I enjoy it more than this.  Even with its 4K graphics fest. PGR4 is just a better arcade driving game for me.... Shame it and the PGR series will be trapped forever on the Xbox and the 360. There were lots of rumours about 5 but then came the Horizon series.

3 minutes ago, MattyP said:

It's a game that leans towards younger gamers IMHO. Deep down under all the "bling" there is a great arcade racer game in there just seems to be little structure to it all in terms of how older arcade racers used to be!

I played it a fair bit when it came out on GP lovely graphics did all the showcase events etc. Also did some of the "career" events - the stuntman one was fun.

In the end it's a decent arcade racer when not many are being made. Recently gone back to playing PGR4 myself as I enjoy it more than this. 

I'd got it into my head it was more of an open world, leisurely, explore the British countryside in your car kind of game, rather than a competitive arcade racer with massive text powerpointing across the screen and fast/slow/fast/slow dramatic camera pans as a real-life car model is showcased for the first time.

No big deal - at least Game Pass gives you an opportunity to give unknown stuff like this a try.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

Ok, I managed to make my way out into the countryside after all and it's very beautiful. I can't figure out how to mute the radio completely though. I can turn off the DJ and the GPS but the radio can only be muted to 1, not 0, meaning I have to mute the whole game to be able to play it without dreadful music.

Think you can change radio stations on it! Used to be the crosspad left and right on FH2 IIRC....

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ann coulter said:

I'd got it into my head it was more of an open world, leisurely, explore the British countryside in your car kind of game, rather than a competitive arcade racer with massive text powerpointing across the screen and fast/slow/fast/slow dramatic camera pans as a real-life car model is showcased for the first time.

No big deal - at least Game Pass gives you an opportunity to give unknown stuff like this a try.

It's a bit of everything I guess! 

You can race or you can just drive around the countryside - you can even buy different houses. It's like a RPG/Racer. 

As you say it's part of GP so no biggie. Don't think I'd have bought it though. Never really liked all the bling stuff they put into Horizon from the first one. And this just seemingly has an extremely busy map when it opens up (you have to play though a full season cycle to open up the game IIRC). 

The other thing was the feeling of it always being online. The seasons are hooked into it for example so you have no control over them. I can see why it was all done this way....

Anyhow its a great game to be included in GP! 

43 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

And for some reason the game insisted on spoiling all the seasons and weather effects in the first few minutes

Spoiler

Spring follows Winter 

• Upvote 6

46 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

No you don't, you just change the station to off.

Very tired of all these gaming gammon reactionary takes. This is a franchise that is literally made by gaming dads for people who grew up in the 90s, they have a drum & bass station, when they had a hip hop station it was all 90s stuff rather than modern stuff, there's a series of missions about old 80s and 90s racing games FFS!

But because they've got some people under 30 to do voice acting, and shock horror, a couple of modern songs on the radio, we've got endless old farts in here lining up to moan about how yoof it is.

• Upvote 5

12 minutes ago, MattyP said:

It's a bit of everything I guess! 

You can race or you can just drive around the countryside - you can even buy different houses. It's like a RPG/Racer. 

As you say it's part of GP so no biggie. Don't think I'd have bought it though. Never really liked all the bling stuff they put into Horizon from the first one. And this just seemingly has an extremely busy map when it opens up (you have to play though a full season cycle to open up the game IIRC). 

The other thing was the feeling of it always being online. The seasons are hooked into it for example so you have no control over them. I can see why it was all done this way....

Anyhow its a great game to be included in GP! 

When you say always online ... have some of these cars on the road been other players? :unsure: I spent most of my time at the wheel tearing across fields, smashing through greenhouses, driving on the wrong side of the road, head-on colliding with any car driving towards me, and, to finish, driving into the sea.

2 minutes ago, ann coulter said:

When you say always online ... have some of these cars on the road been other players? :unsure: I spent most of my time at the wheel tearing across fields, smashing through greenhouses, driving on the wrong side of the road, head-on colliding with any car driving towards me, and, to finish, driving into the sea.

They can be or sometimes they are just "drivatars" from your friends on your friends list that play the game too! The game makes a virtual you that will populate and race in other players games... Driving style is based on how you drive too! Think it was a concept borrowed from the Forza Motorsport series..

I think you're guided through the four seasons (after the initial showcase thing) before it changes to the same weekly season transition that everyone gets. I think it's only then that you get peace to arse about. It's definitely worth persevering with. I hated the series at first and it was only after buying FH3 for my nephew that it started to click with me.

EDIT: You'll eventually get the option to join a club as well. There's one for on here, which adds various posters to your world as well.

• Upvote 1

Generally unless you’ve specifically chosen to go online, every person named isn’t a real person.

driving across fields is half the point of Forza Horizon

• Upvote 2

I tried to love this game. I tick all the aforementioned boxes. Dad. 40s. Like drum and bass loved 80s and 90s arcade racers etc etc. I just couldn’t live this. It’s beautiful but totally aimless and the events are all very similar and the landscape is pretty much the same bar the obvious landmarks of course. I sold my one x as it really was the only thing I fired up on it.

What I have done though is start playing NFS heat which I enjoy far more. I haven’t played a NFS game since 1995 and know the failings but despite the graphics downgrade and the even Moore annoying characters it’s just a far more fun game set in a far more fun and dare I say it set in a more interesting location than Blighty. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Exactly what happened with me! Ended up going back to older games get my arcade racer fix.

Not sure what it is about the FH series... Quite enjoyed the second one mainly because of the location and reminded me of blue sky racers. Think it's the whole Horizon festival thing. Although it's developed here it feels far to American or that an American marketing team got their claws into it. 

The first two were the best in the series IMHO. Not even looking forward to another in the series I'm done with Horizon now. 

Next racer I'm actually looking forward to is Dangerous Driving 2 on the Switch. Want a back to basics arcade racer. Until then PGR 4 will do quite nicely..... Having a ball on this at the moment....

16 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Think it's the whole Horizon festival thing. Although it's developed here it feels far to American or that an American marketing team got their claws into it. 

Exactly. What is a music / car festival all about in a game. It is too contrived a scenario and just naff. Then I hurtle around roads and beautiful identical looking fields then drive an arbitrary race  that looks and feels like the last with out much memorability.  Rinse repeat. Looks lush though. 

it’s almost as though there’s too much choice as well. I hammered ridge racer when I bought it with its 1.5 tracks for months and months. This just doesn’t keep you held. 

My switch lite is being delivered on Monday and the first game I’m downloading will be virtua racing. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

Just now, Bangaio said:

Exactly. What is a mucus car festival all about in a game. It is too contrived a scenario and just naff.

You're right, there's no such thing as the Goodwood Festival of Speed.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bangaio said:

My switch lite is being delivered on Monday and the first game I’m downloading will be virtua racing. 

It's awesome...Also lucky for you it's currently in the sale at the moment too for the paltry sum of £4.01! 

But that’s real life. This is a game with shitty virtual sociopaths. 

There a festival for pretty much anything these days but a game about racing doesn’t need it. 

• Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, MattyP said:

It's awesome...Also lucky for you it's currently in the sale at the moment too for the paltry sum of £4.01! 

Amazing. I bloody love VR. I even bought a 32x for it once upon a time. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Bangaio said:

Oh and OutRun is on there too if you enjoy some more old school Sega fun....

11 hours ago, MattyP said:

Exactly what happened with me! Ended up going back to older games get my arcade racer fix.

Not sure what it is about the FH series... Quite enjoyed the second one mainly because of the location and reminded me of blue sky racers. Think it's the whole Horizon festival thing. Although it's developed here it feels far to American or that an American marketing team got their claws into it. 

The first two were the best in the series IMHO. Not even looking forward to another in the series I'm done with Horizon now. 

Next racer I'm actually looking forward to is Dangerous Driving 2 on the Switch. Want a back to basics arcade racer. Until then PGR 4 will do quite nicely..... Having a ball on this at the moment....

Dangerous Driving 2 is open world, so probably not a back to basics arcade racer.

3 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

Dangerous Driving 2 is open world, so probably not a back to basics arcade racer.

Heard it's similar to Burnout Paradise? Be interesting to see what it turns out like. 

17 hours ago, ann coulter said:

I'd got it into my head it was more of an open world, leisurely, explore the British countryside in your car kind of game.

There is literally nothing stopping you playing it like this after the intro.

12 hours ago, Bangaio said:

2020-04-03_12_07_25.jpg

13 hours ago, Bangaio said:

I bought it for the 32x, despite not owning a 32x...

[edit]
and now I own it on the switch.

Edited by SeanR

I got it accidentally for the 32x, as you can see above, I also do not own a 32X.

For some reason when I bought a Genesis in a US flea market 10 years ago the little pile of games included it.