Forza Horizon 4 - Open-UK Racing

I downloaded this on GP and played the first part of the prologue up to the first house.  Then I went for a tour round the periphery - up the beach then anti-clockwise through the outskirts of Edinburgh and, as dawn was breaking, over the moors back to Ambleside Village. I earned several K exp for exploration and smashing boards that way.  It was noticeable how few drive-atars were venturing that far away from the SW map sector, although there was one crazy who drove up a mountain and completely messed up the descent (I like them, they make essentially SP games like FH3 feel more human and random).

I'm not sure what is gained from this leisurely SP prologue to be honest - surely the summer section would have sufficed to ease any newcomers in?     I did chuckle though at the "are we there yet" message reward from buying the thatched cottage on the beach. 

I wonder if my loyalty wheel-spins will give me anything good.  Cool how one's previous designs are all available - uncool how the only one I put any time into (AFC at Anfield '89) seems to have pre-dated the Cloud.  Levelling up ones favourite cars also seems a good idea.

Constantly amazed at how this looks... its like playing in photo mode of older driving games.

As much as I love these games wish MS would task playground with a PGR-HD... Imagine what that would look like in 4K?! (or at least 1080p60fps) :) Racing around Edinburgh last night brought back memories of PGR2.. so miss city racing and the PGR series...

Edit: Funny enough just googled PGR and this was published yesterday: https://www.gtplanet.net/project-gotham-racing-when-speed-isnt-enough/ :)

Also seems people are still racing on PGR2 online somehow...

A couple of things I forgot from my earlier post - Don Thompson is back as the (weary) voice of Timeless FM and the track selection so far is excellent.

Also, I could have sworn the numberplate for the first car which drives away as you sit through the street race cut scene reads SPLATOON?  :sherlock:  (i'm currently reading the book about the KGB double agent and it notes the first rule of spy craft is NOT to seek confirmation for something you already believe (e.g WMD in Iraq) ).

1 minute ago, catinthehat said:

Played an hour of so of this last night.  I can't find the button to skip all the talky bits (in a driving game!).  Is there one?

If not, do these bits stop soon?  I really can't be bothered with all that nonsense. 

Think they aren't too long on future events - think the Stunt director guy (Sean Bean sound-a-like) keeps chatting you through things however races don't have too much chat... The host chit chats now and again when any significant things happen.... Just from my couple of hours playing so far....

2 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

I found the talky bits were short and didn't get in the way. That's with two seasons through so I assume it doesn't suddenly get more vocal. 

I find them incredibly frustrating.  You can't even start a race until they've said their bit, even if you're sitting there on the "Start Race" screen.

I get to play for about an hour every few days, and last night it felt like half of that was talky bits.  I couldn't seem to buy a new car, either.  I'm guessing that opens up later?  

2 minutes ago, Cosmic_Guru said:

A couple of things I forgot from my earlier post - Don Thompson is back as the (weary) voice of Timeless FM and the track selection so far is excellent.

Timeless FM is great for this game... only radio station I have on... something quite relaxing in the second stunt event flying down the coastline with the sun glistening away listening to this brought a smile to my face...

4 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

I find them incredibly frustrating.  You can't even start a race until they've said their bit, even if you're sitting there on the "Start Race" screen.

I get to play for about an hour every few days, and last night it felt like half of that was talky bits.  I couldn't seem to buy a new car, either.  I'm guessing that opens up later?  

Think the other thing that seems to waste time is the car change animations... they seem to take ages at times although I expect this is hiding some background loading. Seems quicker on the PC (when installed on a SSD drive).

But hey all niggles aside... What a game... Can't wait to get stuck in again tonight.... 

I find the talky bits an unnecessary irritant and poorly done- there are terrible examples of voice acting and occasionally properly cringeworthy lines.
And if they let Sean Bean live till the end.. fourth wall broken ;)
However its not the reason most people buy the game - hopefully after the artificially extended "Tutorial" they are less frequent.
But the driving is really exceptional (with the limited cars I have tried so far), so good in fact I have yet to even use fast travel system- its too much fun to blast along to the next event manually. 

And the graphics.  
Bloody beautiful.

Is anyone else finding the lack of traffic a bit odd? I drove around for a good 10 minutes last night without seeing another car. And I was always on proper roads.

Speaking of which, it's also slightly strange that the sat nav never takes you down red roads, sometimes going miles out of your way, rather than showing a much shorter route.

They patched broken traffic in FH 2. 

There won't be more traffic, this game is absolutely hammering the base Xbox and it will cause too many issues, especially with the online nature of it now. 

Edinburgh is the best city in the series by far. Amazing. 

1 hour ago, catinthehat said:

Played an hour of so of this last night.  I can't find the button to skip all the talky bits (in a driving game!).  Is there one?

If not, do these bits stop soon?  I really can't be bothered with all that nonsense. 

No, and it is incredibly annoying.

Even worse when you wish to go back and redo, say, a Stunt Driver event as you have to go through all the shite background talk every time. Unskippable cut scenes are almost unforgivable these days (although I assume they are used to mask loading?)...

Hell, given the chance I'd skip cut scenes first time round too given, just as I do in every other game (bar Dark Souls and Bloodborne as they are ace)