rllmuk
djbhammer

Forza Horizon 4 - Open-UK Racing

13 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Are the bikes playable?

Presumably yes in future paid  DLC that they'll throw adverts at you for between races until you buy it.

Horizon 3's the only one I've played and  it has its moments when bombing across fields,  but generally the racing wasn't really exciting enough for my liking. 

And the way the single player was structured made the whole thing feel so aimless. Never got as far as playing online. I'm guessing that's where it came a bit more alive. 

That world in this does look wonderful though. And if Edinburgh is extensive I suppose I could be tempted to give this a go. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

I have always missed those aspects of TDU so between this and the Crew 2 I'm super excited.

Yeah, this is sounding like a current gen TDU. I'm beyond excited. :omg:

• Upvote 1

I missed out on FH3, but the UK setting means that I’m in like shaolin on this one. Love the idea of the UK-centric Forza stories, it suggests you’ll be doing burnouts in Asda car park with a load of kids in tracksuits, or getting cut up by some gammon-faced dude in a knackered transit van. 

• Upvote 7

44 minutes ago, Fatsam said:

Horizon 3's the only one I've played and  it has its moments when bombing across fields,  but generally the racing wasn't really exciting enough for my liking. 

And the way the single player was structured made the whole thing feel so aimless. Never got as far as playing online. I'm guessing that's where it came a bit more alive. 

Never liked FH3 either ...  well actually never bought it after playing the demo. Just didn't like all the buggies and setting and the overly zany Australian characters. Loved the 2nd one though and this is one of my favourite races this gen. Looking forward to this - like the idea of seasons and the UK setting. Not sure I'm too fussed about acquiring businesses and buying property though.. this is a racing game no?!?! Be interesting to see what accents the crew have on this one... will it be Scottish? Or cockney geezer... or queens English.. :D

Not sure what spec of PC it will need my ageing GTX--970 will hopefully handle it OK... 

Looks utterly amazing - the weather in F7 was mind blowing but in this it looks even better. 

The UK setting is just nuts - I cannot wait to play this as every new location shown last night had me thinking "yeah I've driven that....oh its just like that road on the way to.." 

Can.Not.Wait. :)

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Pob said:

60fps is cool and all, but the Horizon games have some kind of magic 30fps shit going on that make them feel nigh-on 60 (yes, I know the simulation runs at 60).

If there was a choice of fidelity and frame-rate, I'd probably stick to fidelity.

No it doesn't. It is very well done and probably the best 30fps I've seen but no. 

13 minutes ago, nakamura said:

No it doesn't. It is very well done and probably the best 30fps I've seen but no. 

I thought it recorded your inputs 60 times a second? Doesn’t that imply it’s running at 60hz but rendering only 30fps?

Apologies I mean the actual image update. It's fantastic how well they have it running at 30fps but it's still no substitute for 60. 60 will be hugely advantageous at high speeds and especially off road. But as far as I can remember the physics are all 60hz etc like you suggested. Very clever. 

The previous Forza Horizon games were at 30fps, but the frame rate was absolutely rock solid and the subtle motion blur (I think) made it look super-smooth anyway. I'm dubious as to whether 60fps would really add much to the game, and would be worth the tradeoff for the inevitable loss of detail and/or effects elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Pob said:

As much as I'm bursting at the seams for this one, I might just go on a footage hiatus and allow myself to take it all in for the first time in October. Like, I know I'm going to watch the next Avengers, no need for them to spoil half the gags in the trailer.

MS, get some deals on the X between now and October, please (proper ones, not the current $50 off).

Just now, TehStu said:

As much as I'm bursting at the seams for this one, I might just go on a footage hiatus and allow myself to take it all in for the first time in October. Like, I know I'm going to watch the next Avengers, no need for them to spoil half the gags in the trailer.

MS, get some deals on the X between now and October, please (proper ones, not the current $50 off).

Don't worry that link wont reveal too much :D

Just now, K said:

The previous Forza Horizon games were at 30fps, but the frame rate was absolutely rock solid and the subtle motion blue (I think) made it look super-smooth anyway. I'm dubious as to whether 60fps would really add much to the game, and would be worth the tradeoff for the inevitable loss of detail and/or effects elsewhere.

That's fair, Playground stuff has always been voodoo. There's an absurd amount going on for the "slower" machine of this gen, and it was really weird going back to Driveclub recently for the online challenges, which really feels 30 fps.

That said, I assume 60 fps mode will be an X thing, and maybe it's got the spare oomph to do it. Or there'll be a 1080p60 mode which doesn't drop the detail.

1 minute ago, K said:

The previous Forza Horizon games were at 30fps, but the frame rate was absolutely rock solid and the subtle motion blue (I think) made it look super-smooth anyway. I'm dubious as to whether 60fps would really add much to the game, and would be worth the tradeoff for the inevitable loss of detail and/or effects elsewhere.

Looks like it's 1080p/30 on the OG/S and a choice between 1080p/60 and 4K/30 on the X. 

Not that I’ve even got an Xbox One, but I’d love for some of my favourite roads from the Scottish highlands to appear. Glencoe and Glen Etive and all that. The crazy climbing hairpin bend by the Quiraing on the Isle of Skye :wub:

4 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

Looks like it's 1080p/30 on the OG/S and a choice between 1080p/60 and 4K/30 on the X. 

That sounds ideal. Can't wait to bez it down the M6 and get caught in roadworks at junction 34 in glorious 4K/30.

3 minutes ago, Calashnikov said:

Not that I’ve even got an Xbox One, but I’d love for some of my favourite roads from the Scottish highlands to appear. Glencoe and Glen Etive and all that. The crazy climbing hairpin bend by the Quiraing on the Isle of Skye :wub:

The A9 up the coast to Wick would be nice. Or the whole A835/6 along the north coast and down. Actually, I didn't live there for long, but you really can't go wrong for astonishing scenery in Scotland. Excellent location for Horizon.

11 minutes ago, K said:

The previous Forza Horizon games were at 30fps, but the frame rate was absolutely rock solid and the subtle motion blur (I think) made it look super-smooth anyway. I'm dubious as to whether 60fps would really add much to the game, and would be worth the tradeoff for the inevitable loss of detail and/or effects elsewhere.

The detail you won't even see at 150mph. It will be hugely beneficial for gameplay, especially for off-road. It's a great option in an already amazing technical package. 

1 minute ago, nakamura said:

The detail you won't even see at 150mph. It will be hugely beneficial for gameplay, especially for off-road. It's a great option in an already amazing technical package. 

Yeah, but what I like about Forza Horizon is that I don't have to drive everywhere at 150mph. I quite liked just breezing around the Italian countryside at a relatively sedate pace, listening to Hospital Radio and watching the sun peeping over the crumbling walls of a thousand year-old village. The world itself is a huge part of the appeal, and I don't want to see that diminished in favour of frame rate. Although it looks like the 60fps option is a bonus for 1X owners, so it's a moot point really.

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

a choice between 1080p/60 and 4K/30 on the X. 

I wish this were an option on more X games as I would always take the 60 over the 4K..

24 minutes ago, TehStu said:

The A9 up the coast to Wick would be nice. Or the whole A835/6 along the north coast and down. Actually, I didn't live there for long, but you really can't go wrong for astonishing scenery in Scotland. Excellent location for Horizon.

Agree having recently driven around Scotland fantastic choice... lovely scenery and great roads...

21 minutes ago, K said:

Yeah, but what I like about Forza Horizon is that I don't have to drive everywhere at 150mph. I quite liked just breezing around the Italian countryside at a relatively sedate pace, listening to Hospital Radio and watching the sun peeping over the crumbling walls of a thousand year-old village. The world itself is a huge part of the appeal, and I don't want to see that diminished in favour of frame rate. Although it looks like the 60fps option is a bonus for 1X owners, so it's a moot point really.

Yes agree... what I really enjoyed about the 2nd one... wish they had have brought it (FH2) to the PC as I would be buying it on that... 

@revival evo triangle would be a great fit for Wales DLC 

There's a ton of secret roads in northumberland/scotland which I'd love to see make it in as well - or versions of them a la Horizon.