Halo Infinite - Q? 2021?

I've always suspected that DF are amateur enthusiasts rather than fully versed game developers with intricate understanding of the development of games and as such their takes on games beyond framerate and resolution analysis (which even that has proved to trip them up many times this gen) is distinctly basic.

41 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

I've always suspected that DF are amateur enthusiasts rather than fully versed game developers with intricate understanding of the development of games and as such their takes on games beyond framerate and resolution analysis (which even that has proved to trip them up many times this gen) is distinctly basic.

Yep. I like them but I think they’re largely responsible for the growing obsession with frame rate and resolution. There’s obviously so much more to a games performance, it’s really frustrating to see it boiled down to just those things.

I can how it’s caught on though, it gives armchair experts a number they can throw around and compare like the days of console power being measured in bits.

The guy in the video doesn’t actually explain what DF got wrong, or why it’s important, so it’s hard to gauge whether they fundamentally misunderstood something, or whether they just over-simplified when trying to explain a concept to a general audience. I would have thought that if DF really were dilettantes who knew nothing about the subjects their videos discuss, they would have been found out by now given how popular they are. 

That aside, the extreme focus on minute details in their videos does annoy me a bit, especially when they have to zoom in three times before a supposedly glaring flaw is even visible, or when a game is declared borderline unplayable when it looks fine. I’m not sure they’re completely to blame, but I think they have to accept some responsibility for the modern curse of people endlessly banging on about True 4K as if they can tell the difference on a screen less than 70” in size. 

1 hour ago, K said:

That aside, the extreme focus on minute details in their videos does annoy me a bit, especially when they have to zoom in three times before a supposedly glaring flaw is even visible, or when a game is declared borderline unplayable when it looks fine.

To be fair to DF they do quite often qualify statements with "but it's not something that makes a difference in motion". Which makes you wonder why they discussed it at length - but I mostly see their videos as a celebration of what game developers do. Like - hey, these are all the tricks they did to get something looking so good, let's go frame by frame and zoom in so we can check it out. They only seem to really criticise things when they impact the actual experience as a player.

1 hour ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Yep. I like them but I think they’re largely responsible for the growing obsession with frame rate and resolution. There’s obviously so much more to a games performance, it’s really frustrating to see it boiled down to just those things.

I wonder if people will stop caring so much about frame rate, if VRR really takes off. Like, let's say if in five years, most people are gaming on a console or PC and display that supports VRR. Then someone comes out with a video showing that Series X runs a particular game at an "unlocked" frame rate with 50fps, and the PS5 at 45fps. Or vice versa. Will anyone care? Will anyone, controller in hand, be able to tell the difference?

Going on about frame rate is definitely something imported from PC culture, where everyone has different hardware, and even the same part might run differently compared to another, or even compared to itself under different conditions. So back when displays all ran at fixed refresh rates (mine still does, hoping to change that shortly), trying to meet that refresh rate was essential for a good experience. It's creeping into the console space, partly because of the introduction of lower / higher end variants that can be compared.

16 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I’d love a video game equivalent of  the “VFX artists react” YouTube channel.

Given how much shit The Cherno is getting for that Dirt 5 reactions video elsewhere, I doubt any actually active game developers want the grief from whatever fanboy side doesn't like them not being ultra positive about their preferred platform and games running on said platform. He just does these reactions as a bit of fun on the side going in completely blind.

The team at Digital Foundry get enough shit thrown at them as it is, to the extent it's caused John health problems.

Game devs on Twitter also rarely bother giving you the truth as they know it isn't worth the hassle 99.99999% of the time.

I'm not sure why anyone would be getting upset about that Dirt 5 video given it's a multiplatform release, which will surely look even worse on lesser powered hardware like the PS5 and current gen machines.

31 minutes ago, Pob said:

Just stay off Twitter and other social media and don't read any comments. 

FTFY. Just nuke it all from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

1 hour ago, mushashi said:

Given how much shit The Cherno is getting for that Dirt 5 reactions video elsewhere, I doubt any actually active game developers want the grief from whatever fanboy side doesn't like them not being ultra positive about their preferred platform and games running on said platform. He just does these reactions as a bit of fun on the side going in completely blind.

The team at Digital Foundry get enough shit thrown at them as it is, to the extent it's caused John health problems.

Game devs on Twitter also rarely bother giving you the truth as they know it isn't worth the hassle 99.99999% of the time.

While the Cherno reaction is a bit “live by the provocative video title, die by the provocative video title” you’re right actually the fan base is probably way too toxic to be an attractive way to make a living.

57 minutes ago, Liamness said:

I wonder if people will stop caring so much about frame rate, if VRR really takes off. Like, let's say if in five years, most people are gaming on a console or PC and display that supports VRR. Then someone comes out with a video showing that Series X runs a particular game at an "unlocked" frame rate with 50fps, and the PS5 at 45fps. Or vice versa. Will anyone care? Will anyone, controller in hand, be able to tell the difference?

Going on about frame rate is definitely something imported from PC culture, where everyone has different hardware, and even the same part might run differently compared to another, or even compared to itself under different conditions. So back when displays all ran at fixed refresh rates (mine still does, hoping to change that shortly), trying to meet that refresh rate was essential for a good experience. It's creeping into the console space, partly because of the introduction of lower / higher end variants that can be compared.

It's the latest fanboy battleground as GFX is marginal or at parity between console versions these days. The problem isn't the information, it's how some people choose to weaponise it. Consoles don't have ways for end users to monitor performance so you are reliant on people with the tools to provide you that information.

VRR only fixes the visual presentation, it still wouldn't fix the gameplay feel of erratic unstable performance. Though to the casual player, this doesn't matter as they are fine with sub-30fps anyway at present. These things only concern dedicated gamers. John Linneman especially is sensitive to it and I'd generally agree. Locked 60 is the reason I own a gaming PC, it just feels so much better to play than 30fps or an erratic inbetween framerate.

Framerate is also the reason e-Sports games are designed the way they are, higher frames is more responsive. That's the real reason people should want higher frames, it gives you better gameplay feedback.

35 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

While the Cherno reaction is a bit “live by the provocative video title, die by the provocative video title” you’re right actually the fan base is probably way too toxic to be an attractive way to make a living.

You got to play the algorithm if you want people to watch the videos now, it's why a lot of people do variants of the derp face these days, even on subjects you wouldn't think it was required for.

Though the footage of Dirt 5 he was requested to watch hardly makes the game look great so his reaction to it is not abnormal, it's not much of a looker in most of the footage I've seen so far.

Some people on YouTube do make some coin playing to the fanboys, it's interesting seeing that worldview on things every so often. Superchats can be quite lucrative, even for channels with a small amount of subscribers.

• 2 weeks later...

#You say Halo, I say goodbye.

Goodbye, goodbye!

I don't know why you say Halo, I say goodbye!

Hey-la, hey, Halo-ah...woooo-ah

Hey-la, hey, Halo-ah...woooo-ah#

Etc.

3 minutes ago, bear said:

At what point do you think they'll just drop the Xboxone version of the game? 

Whenever the Series X version comes out. It's the same game running with different settings.

• Kryptonian changed the title to Halo Infinite - Q? 2021?