Halo Infinite - Q? 2021?

I don’t see how that’s even vaguely relevant here. They’ve said they think the game needs more time and you’ve chosen to interpret that as “we’re going to make our developers lives miserable for the duration of the delay.”

I’ve seen a 9 month delay mentioned, but they haven’t given a new launch date yet, have they? I’m wondering if they should give it a year, so they can drop the Xbox One version and concentrate on making it a proper next gen flagship title. Whatever that E3 2018 trailer was running on, and I’m assuming it wasn’t Xbox One, is where they need to be.

Wouldn’t that be the best course of action?

I'd prefer it be delayed that substandard. And they must have seen truth in the criticism of the demo trailer otherwise they wouldn't be delaying - the complaints were legitimate. I guess it all depends if 343 decides that everyone needs to settle in for mega-crunch for the next [x] months or not. Hopefully they won't, having see the bad press that comes out of those practices lately - but it's impossible to deny that the delay of H:I is a but of a blow to Microsoft's plans for the console.

I guess it's easy for me to say that I'm happy it's being delayed for improvements, because I'm old and miserable and sort of patient - but I suspect the bean counters and advertising guys over at XBOX HQ are pretty pissed off right now.

Yeah they really need to drop the Xbox One version. I mean, they want to build and expand on this game for ten years or something, right? Imagine a game in 2029 still being held back by the laughable Xbox One CPU from 2013. Drop the Xbox One support if they want to maximize the potential and also if they want something visually impressive to compete with the visual blockbusters Sony is putting out all the time.

49 minutes ago, footle said:

And relative to the screws required to hit a November launch, and then the continual firefighting to fix a live game after that November launch?

November 2021?

Not only do they have to finish the game, but they have to make sure it's the absolute dog's bollocks and a lot better than anything that they've done with Halo before. It's really not a good position for them to be in.

I wish them all the best with it. Playing MCC for a short while on Game Pass last year made me really want to get excited for a new Halo.

52 minutes ago, gizmo1990 said:

Nintendo initially released the 3ds at one price only to very quickly heavily drop it. It resulted in Nintendo apologising to customers and offering them free snes games among other things. Just do a search for the Ambassador 3ds program.

Maybe they were just copying what they did with the N64?

1 hour ago, Steven said:

It's also something that can come back to publicly haunt them if they put the screws on. They've cited it as a reason not to release the game at launch.

They’ll just NDA the employees and be militant about ruining their careers if they say anything to Jason Shrier. 

43 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Yeah they really need to drop the Xbox One version. I mean, they want to build and expand on this game for ten years or something, right? Imagine a game in 2029 still being held back by the laughable Xbox One CPU from 2013. Drop the Xbox One support if they want to maximize the potential and also if they want something visually impressive to compete with the visual blockbusters Sony is putting out all the time.

The parallels with Destiny are really stacking up.

1 hour ago, JPL said:

I’ve seen a 9 month delay mentioned, but they haven’t given a new launch date yet, have they? I’m wondering if they should give it a year, so they can drop the Xbox One version and concentrate on making it a proper next gen flagship title. Whatever that E3 2018 trailer was running on, and I’m assuming it wasn’t Xbox One, is where they need to be.

Wouldn’t that be the best course of action?

Just drop the current gen version. I think it was the TCGS podcast a few weeks back that suspected this cross gen thing is actually way harder than they initially thought and that’s why a bunch of the big franchises are being pushed out of the “no next gen exclusives for two years” window, to get around that promise.

I honestly think at this stage they could hold their hands up and say “sorry we tried but don’t want to hold the game back now”.

The cross gen thing seems insane. I get that resolution scales well (though I think the push for 4K is fucking stupid), but CPU power doesn’t. If you want Halo running on Bone you need to drastically limit the size of the world, the number of enemies etc. Those things do not scale at all, even though logically you might thing they would. So you have to build an Xbox One game that just looks a lot shinier and nicer on series X, which surely drastically limits your design. 

This generations processors are old garbage, and I think that’s a big reason why there’s not been a lot of innovation this generation, with a lot more iteration and shinier or larger versions of the exact same thing. It’s also probably why unlike most previous generations, these console’s big franchises are all the same ones from last gen, and there’s little in the way of new genres.

If Microsoft were assuming that would continue I guess scaling across consoles and the iterative upgrades make sense. But as soon as Sony or PC developers start working from newer processors as a baseline they’re almost certainly going to start creating things that just won’t be possible on older hardware with worse graphics. At that point, you run a huge risk of your games looking old and shit because they’re trapped supporting a seven year old CPU that was cheap shit when it launched. 

3 hours ago, JPL said:

I’ve seen a 9 month delay mentioned

If that was by me,  I plucked it out of the air as I thought the next viable release would be Easter time. If they don't hit march/ April I'd expect it to be next year's 4th quarter, a year after expected.

Thing is, even if they did drop the current gen version and delayed for a full year, while that might lift the boot from their necks in some regards a year isn't exactly long enough to properly redesign the game without those limitations. I presume most big games these days spend almost a year just doing bug-fixing and optimisations.

Two year delay to get away from the silly  cross-gen promise and do something besides polishing up.

You know, people were like "hell yeah enhanced BC!" and they were like "hell yeah cross play!" and they were like "hell yeah game pass!" and "hell yeah smart delivery!"

But was anyone - literally anyone anywhere - like "hell yeah two years of cross-gen games and not one built from the ground up for XsX!"? Who was that for? Did that garner any relevant goodwill or positive pr? I know I know, game pass library - but fuck me, you have xcloud sitting right there to circumvent that. Is that too obvious? 

Since Miyamoto said that, the internet has been invented and patches have become a thing.

Ah remember the good old days where you had to physically send your memory card in the mail to Nintendo to fix a game breaking bug? Good times.

4 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

It's very rare for patches to turn a bad game into a good one. Maybe they can fix a buggy, but good, game. But rarely, if ever, does version 1.5 after that patch become a good game.

True but there are examples. Like uhm

6 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

DriveClub? No Man’s Sky?

Two games that were fundamentally changed with patches.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

6 minutes ago, JPL said:

DriveClub? No Man’s Sky?

Two games that were fundamentally changed with patches.

On top of the two games @JPL just mentioned, we also saw Diablo 3 go from a broken mess to a quality dungeon crawler. 

Final Fantasy XIV went from bad to great too. 

1 minute ago, PeteBrant said:

Neither was fundamentally changed. They just added features.

Well, you know what I mean. They were both games that could have done with being delayed, but eventually came good with patches.

• Kryptonian changed the title to Halo Infinite - Q? 2021?