Halo Infinite - Q? 2021

42 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

I was going to comment that I'm sure some nice people will be there to offer very reasonable loams with 2000% apr so that people can still get that shiny new console and keep up with their mates. Which is super gross that it's the world we live in.

Then I remembered that Microsoft themselves offer All Access and have said that the sex will be on that program too. I've not looked at it for a while but when it launched you didn't end up paying any extra whatsoever than if you'd bought it outright.

Maybe MS had been planning for the world to go to shit all along. 

Microsoft should really be pushing this aspect of Game Pass in their promotion. 

8 hours ago, Fallows said:

If this ends up being late 2021 they should probably ditch the Xbox One support and go all-in with the Series S/X's full potential.

Less Craig, more Cena. That kind of thing.

Poor Craig. A promising career cut short before it's even had a chance to show full potential.

Craig-701x394.jpg

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Isaac said:

To take it a step further, I don't think either manufacturer really wants to release their console in Q4 given Covid fucking up development at hundreds of studios, but also neither can afford to let the other launch first.

Do you think Phil might call Jim and they'll have a conversation along the lines of:

"What do you think to us both delaying our boxes until next year?"

2 hours ago, Isaac said:

To take it a step further, I don't think either manufacturer really wants to release their console in Q4 given Covid fucking up development at hundreds of studios

I'd be interested to know how problematic Covid has been for game studios. In visual effects the main issue has been the difficulty in shooting live action and lots of film work being delayed or cancelled. CG heavy jobs, however, have been going ahead just fine with everyone remote working to the point where everyone's wondering if we'll ever go back to working in big studios together - there simply doesn't seem to be any need. The PS5 launch advert for instance, a CG heavy extravaganza, finished recently on time and on budget despite being made almost entirely during lockdown. Game development strikes me as a similar beast to CG, with some help from IT it shouldn't have been that disruptive but then I'll happily admit there may be some component of game making I don't understand that doesn't lend itself to remote working. 

• Upvote 5
34 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

I'd be interested to know how problematic Covid has been for game studios. In visual effects the main issue has been the difficulty in shooting live action and lots of film work being delayed or cancelled. CG heavy jobs, however, have been going ahead just fine with everyone remote working to the point where everyone's wondering if we'll ever go back to working in big studios together - there simply doesn't seem to be any need. The PS5 launch advert for instance, a CG heavy extravaganza, finished recently on time and on budget despite being made almost entirely during lockdown. Game development strikes me as a similar beast to CG, with some help from IT it shouldn't have been that disruptive but then I'll happily admit there may be some component of game making I don't understand that doesn't lend itself to remote working. 

I guess it depends on the studio. The head of Larian said that they are working on 70% of their pre-COVID capacity for example. It's slowing things down basically. I'm working in game localization and delays are definitely happening.

My main point of contact with game development is playtesting, and in cases where it's possible to do safely and with confidentiality, it's much slower than it was pre-covid (with some exceptions: remote unmoderated testing is an easier option, and there are solutions for mobile platforms).

Yeah playtesting is a huge one - these dev kits can't be taken home and so you have to do some form of remote access, introducing input lag (which can be pretty severe on some home connections).

12 minutes ago, petrolgirls said:

I'd be interested to know how problematic Covid has been for game studios.

I think the big issue is devkits, while everyone can have a PC to work from home, a studio might only have a few devkits for the new console and usually they come with legal boilerplate preventing them from being removed from the business premises (or at least, this is what I've heard).

2 minutes ago, Isaac said:

Yeah playtesting is a huge one - these dev kits can't be taken home and so you have to do some form of remote access, introducing input lag (which can be pretty severe on some home connections).

I'm guessing 343 will have access to the xcloud infrastructure for this, but even then, it's risky. Studios often aren't keen on letting games out of their onsite test labs for fear of leaks: even though NDAs generally aren't worth much whether they apply in the lab or at home, I think there's an assumption that they can impress the downsides of leaking more effectively when onsite.

Of course, it's much easier for players to leak get images or footage from remote testing, too. There are watermarking methods (they used interesting ones for Flight Sim recently) but users can presumably just blur or crop the image a bit.

22 minutes ago, jonny_rat said:

There are watermarking methods (they used interesting ones for Flight Sim recently) but users can presumably just blur or crop the image a bit.

Misread that as “waterboarding” and thought crunch culture had taken an even darker tone :lol: 

• Upvote 6
9 minutes ago, Broker said:

Misread that as “waterboarding” and thought crunch culture had taken an even darker tone :lol: 

They’ve got to get the mo-cap work for The Last of Us DLC done somehow. 

• Upvote 4
51 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

I think the big issue is devkits, while everyone can have a PC to work from home, a studio might only have a few devkits for the new console and usually they come with legal boilerplate preventing them from being removed from the business premises (or at least, this is what I've heard).

At least Sony and Microsoft (not sure about Nintendo from first hand experience) have greatly relaxed their restrictions on devkits being outside of the registered location. 

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, teddymeow said:

Poor Craig. A promising career cut short before it's even had a chance to show full potential.

Craig-701x394.jpg

On the plus side for Craig...

20200812_114016.gif

• Upvote 3
30 minutes ago, Fallows said:

Also, is it just me or do all these "our game is delayed" announcements use the same InDesign template?

Bloodlines-2-Delayed_08-11-20.jpg
EOa2ITXW4AAbcag.png
efkvapcu8aab79n.jpg

it’s probably shipped out to them, half filled in, when they sign the Microsoft marketing deal.

Shitty PR bullshit regarding the delay. And as people have already mentioned, this won’t ease the pressure on the team one little bit. That part of the press release must have had the team rolling their eyes in despair tbh. They know they’ve got a colossal task on their hands now, with MS producers breathing down their necks every step of the way.

I appreciate it’s not the entirely the same, but drawing a parallel between this and Nintendo’s 3DS fiasco couldnt be more stark. At least they came out with a fairly straight forward admission that they got it wrong.

• Empathy 1
38 minutes ago, gizmo1990 said:

Shitty PR bullshit regarding the delay. And as people have already mentioned, this won’t ease the pressure on the team one little bit. That part of the press release must have had the team rolling their eyes in despair tbh. They know they’ve got a colossal task on their hands now, with MS producers breathing down their necks every step of the way.

I appreciate it’s not the entirely the same, but drawing a parallel between this and Nintendo’s 3DS fiasco couldnt be more stark. At least they came out with a fairly straight forward admission that they got it wrong.

It's also something that can come back to publicly haunt them if they put the screws on. They've cited it as a reason not to release the game at launch.

1 hour ago, gizmo1990 said:

Could you elaborate a bit on the 3DS fiasco? I wasn’t paying much attention at the time. 

Nintendo initially released the 3ds at one price only to very quickly heavily drop it. It resulted in Nintendo apologising to customers and offering them free snes games among other things. Just do a search for the Ambassador 3ds program.

• Upvote 1