Halo Infinite - Q? 2021

13 minutes ago, Lorfarius said:

As have all games... That's the point of a 4k patch, to make them look better.

Nah, a few games don’t benefit that much at all from straight resolution jumps and (subjectively) some probably look a bit worse because they no longer play at the resolution the assets were designed for. 

Games like Halo 4 and 5 have very high quality assets which reveal all their detail when rendered in 4K, rather than being obscured by the low resolutions they were initially rendered in at launch. Which is what I meant when I said they’ve benefited “massively.”

11 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Halo 5 looked nice in places but there were a lot of sacrifices made to get that thing to run at 60fps in campaign. The skyboxes were particularly dodgy looking. 

Both 4 and 5 have benefitted massively from the 4K patches they’ve received.

Coincidentally I revisited 5 last night, and took these. It's a really hard game to take decent shots of, it's very busy visually and looks a lot better in motion. Admittedly this is probably the best looking level of the game, but I thought it was interesting just how much nicer the (static) lighting was compared what we've seen of Infinite so far. 

QlUe8RIiu1kXraDAwSaJqkG1zG1rG4XiVrI=

e0af447a-bf53-40d5-9bba-2b3ab77f07d9.PNG

f653efee-1de7-41aa-86bb-0762ed54d2b9.PNG

c4c26293-b55e-4855-9cf6-4a99d2a6ebca.PNG

Also for comparison, some character models:

D73nkFywoM=

• Upvote 7

That’s the point of the DF video though, right? Smaller environments that you spend less time with can get away with static lighting? I’m happy for the game to look “worse” (though it still looked good to me) if the game benefits from it, which I’m hopeful about. I don’t think Gears did an open world well at all - it was mostly pointless and did nothing interesting, but Halo seems built for it. My favourite levels have always been the bigger ones where you’ve got free reign to tackle it how you like.

• Upvote 5

Yeah, I love the look of Halos 4&5 but they are all arenas with (as DF calls them) 'baked-in' lighting effects. As Richard says in the first vid they did, the non-stream version they got in the press kit version MS released following the conference looks a LOT better.

My guess is Slipspace was developed from scratch to work on the original Bone, allowing for lighting effects to be overlaid. Problem is, looks to me like a) lighting effects aren't ready (doesn't even necessarily need to be ray traced, could be anything - none ready) and b) they've fucked-up with LOD and pop-in big time. I'm not sure how big a deal or how long it'll take to fix but there are only two things that can happen here...

Either they pull it from release and give themselves at least six months from the proposed release date to fix this -- so well into Q2 2021 --  or they release it anyway with patches forthcoming. They might be able to get away with the latter as it's primarily going to be played on Game Pass, let's be straight here, but it'd be a baaaaad look from a marketing perspective. But if they miss day and date with Series X release, it'll really harm them. 

The worst thing in all this is, it's hitting all the problems both Destiny and Anthem had, but this is worse as not only should 343i have learned from those lessons,  but it's also the flagship release for a new console! 

I don’t think they refer to a press kit, weren’t they talking about the 4K YouTube stream that was put up after the show? It’s higher quality for sure.

6 minutes ago, Treble said:

give themselves at least six months to fix this

Let's say the build was an old one from May and it's not launching until November. That's your 6 months to sort it right there.

6 minutes ago, JPL said:

Let's say the build was an old one from May and it's not launching until November. That's your 6 months to sort it right there.

I meant 6 months on from delivery date, so May 2021 :)

12 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

I don’t think they refer to a press kit, weren’t they talking about the 4K YouTube stream that was put up after the show? It’s higher quality for sure.

Oh right, I thought it was something they'd received as a download. My bad.

1 minute ago, Treble said:

Oh right, I thought it was something they'd received as a download. My bad.

It’s definitely worth looking at if you only saw the version in the original stream. It’s still got a lot wrong with it but it’s an extremely clean looking game.

I think they need another year honestly, you look at the technical stuff and it's like they've turned down the PC options all to minimum for performance (grass render distance, texture quality, lighting, etc). I think if they got all of those to render all the way to the horizon or higher settings (that I'm assuming are there), you would have something that looks like the 2018 demo.

But there's a hell of lot of optimization needed to get there, not to mention all the missing effects and lack of general polish. And with all of these compromises on the more powerful platforms, it really makes you wonder what state the Xbox One version is in (insert Halo 1999 picture here).

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, Treble said:

I meant 6 months on from delivery date, so May 2021 :)

Why from delivery date? I’m sure they’re working on it now and have been since the version that the demo was captured from.

I heard somewhere that it was a build from January, which gives them almost a year to sort it. Not sure how true that is though.

1 minute ago, Alex W. said:

It’s definitely worth looking at if you only saw the version in the original stream. It’s still got a lot wrong with it but it’s an extremely clean looking game.

I've seen it, via DF. I just didn't realise MS had updated it post-conference. I personally have no issues with the graphics, but then I own a gaming PC and a One X, will get it on Game Pass, and have no plans to get a Series X. I imagine those hungrily awaiting something beautiful for their new console will have more emotional investment.

4 minutes ago, JPL said:

Why from delivery date? I’m sure they’re working on it now and have been since the version that the demo was captured from.

I heard somewhere that it was a build from January, which gives them almost a year to sort it. Not sure how true that is though.

Because, as @RubberJohnny says, it needs a year (or the better part of). Not that November 17 is anything like 6 months away, not sure why people have that misconception :)

There were rumours the demo was from January but, as loads of people earlier in the thread said, I don't think any of us believe this is true. In fact, wasn't it debunked already?

16 minutes ago, Treble said:

Not that November 17 is anything like 6 months away, not sure why people have that misconception :)

I meant it could quite easily be 6 months from whenever that demo build was from, not from now.

But, I agree it still needs a lot of polish. I’d love to hear from 343 what the plan is and how they’re going to salvage it.

4 minutes ago, Fallows said:

It looks like it needs finishing first before thinking about any polish at all.

It’ll be pretty much finished, won’t it? I thought they’d be on optimisation and polish now?

The thing about old builds is that they're chosen for stability, so when there's a live demo on a conference floor there's less chance of it crashing or bugging out in front of everyone. But this wasn't a live demo, it's a glorified trailer, so really they could have captured it from any build they wanted so long as the footage was good enough. And it still looked rough.

45 minutes ago, JPL said:

It’ll be pretty much finished, won’t it? I thought they’d be on optimisation and polish now?

I don't think so, they had some pretty evasive language about it being an "evolving platform" when asked if everything would be there at launch or features would come later like Halo 5 and MCC.

2 hours ago, CarloOos said:

Splitscreen seems optimistic, given the circumstances.

Nah - the demo didn't look great but it was clearly running at a locked 60fps, and at 4k.

I can totally believe they could have a solid splitscreen running with that build.

book copy - 
 To take full advantage of its prodigious graphical prowess, 343 Industries built an all-new, next-generation game engine, giving their world-class artists the tools and technology to realize the worlds, war, and wonder of the Halo universe in unprecedented style and fidelity. 

88728BEC-8772-4FDA-9303-76D6743C2A15.jpeg

• Empathy 1
4 hours ago, CarloOos said:

Splitscreen seems optimistic, given the circumstances.

It's confirmed. They actually confirmed it some time ago since its omission from H5 caused a bit of a backlash. 

9 minutes ago, Wallace said:

It's confirmed. They actually confirmed it some time ago since tits omission from H5 caused a bit of a backlash. 

cortana gets her tits out!?!

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 2

The discussion around them having time to fix it should only start from now really as it seems like 343 weren’t aware of anything to fix until the internet collectively said ‘hold on a sec’

20 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

The discussion around them having time to fix it should only start from now really as it seems like 343 weren’t aware of anything to fix until the internet collectively said ‘hold on a sec’

It’s like the Sonic movie all over again 

• Upvote 1