Halo Infinite - Q? 2021

I does feel more and more like something that would’ve been way more impressive if people had tried it as a playable demo to show off the real time aspects. Maybe it was only meant to be an E3 playable demo, with a trailer and/or the demo for plebs? But we wound up with an E3 demo streamed.

11 minutes ago, footle said:

The time of day dynamic lighting thing makes sense^, and the cross cuts to the same object in different lighting conditions helps illustrate it, but why then show the game off with those conditions?!

^ particularly in the context of a game they want to add content to.

At a guess, Corona forced their hand. I still think it needs work, but I’m counting on it being an old build and there being plenty of time to spruce it up. I’m optimistic.

5 minutes ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Excuses, excuses...... 

well yes, I don’t see how they actually solve it for most of the game, and the lack of ambient occulsion is odd

Don't games such as Ghosts of Tsushima, Assassins Creed Origins/Odyssey, and Red Dead Redemption 2 feature open worlds, dynamic lighting and time of day? All of those game look pretty amazing with excellent modelling, animation and texture work. They also don't feature LOD, texture and object pop-in/out, terrible art work/assets (not fixable by hardware, btw) not to any degree as to what's visible in that Halo Infinite gameplay supposedly running on hardware multiple times more powerful and being released 4-5 months from now. For Digital Foundry to hand wave it all away and essentially go 'it's a time of day/lighting issue' and waffle on about real-time dynamic this or real-time shadows that and ignore all the other problems takes the absolute piss. B-B-But it's 4K/60FPS!! If you can't manage that without your game looking like a 360 title, maybe don't bother? You are trying to flog a £500 console* don't forget and are the flagship title!

*Cue: They're trying to sell Game Pass subscriptions h-actually. *Pushes glasses up nose*

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 5

See, the ray-tracing example DF used from Metro Exodus actually looked a lot more like the 2018 trailer. Hard separation between extreme shadows and light. If they're planning on properly implementing it I bet it makes a hell of difference.

It's not gonna fix the models and everything else, of course.

44 minutes ago, AI1 said:

Don't games such as Ghosts of Tsushima, Assassins Creed Origins/Odyssey, and Red Dead Redemption 2 feature open worlds, dynamic lighting and time of day?

Not at a fast paced shooter 4K/60 (and youll struggle 4K/60 on a very high powered pc on those which will play on that platform), and it would be trivial to make a horrific Ghosts video: you’d just show the initial beach scene dropping frames all over the place.

its just that none of Sony, Ubisoft or Rockstar *would * release such marketing footage.

and I’m not sure you’ve played GoT from this description: there’s dynamic lighting yes, and it’s very easy to make it look flat and shite accordingly (and then amazing in photo mode where you can move the sun to cast interesting shadows etc.)

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

I’ll have to watch it again, that was the one with two timelines at once yeah? If there was gameplay I somehow missed it, just looked like proof of concept, in engine type stuff. In fact I don’t think we’ve seen anything gameplay wise that was captured real-time on an Xbox Series X, have we? (Including Halo which I believe was running on a more powerful PC)

It wasn't in the conference but the developers put out a decent length gameplay trailer with explanation of what was going on. Linked to via the thread we have in Discussion. Look pretty impressive and far along, it's certainly no proof or concept. I'm assuming though that it's running on a PC at this point.

• Upvote 1
48 minutes ago, AI1 said:

Don't games such as Ghosts of Tsushima, Assassins Creed Origins/Odyssey, and Red Dead Redemption 2 feature open worlds, dynamic lighting and time of day? All of those game look pretty amazing with excellent modelling, animation and texture work. They also don't feature LOD, texture and object pop-in/out, terrible art work/assets (not fixable by hardware, btw) not to any degree as to what's visible in that Halo Infinite gameplay supposedly running on hardware multiple times more powerful and being released 4-5 months from now. For Digital Foundry to hand wave it all away and essentially go 'it's a time of day/lighting issue' and waffle on about real-time dynamic this or real-time shadows that and ignore all the other problems takes the absolute piss. B-B-But it's 4K/60FPS!! If you can't mange that without your game looking like a 360 title, maybe don't bother? You are trying to flog a £500 console* don't forget and are the flagship title!

*Cue: They're trying to sell Game Pass subscriptions h-actually. *Pushes glasses up nose*

Slightly unrelated, but the recent Ubisoft games totally cheat their lighting, and it's been a bugbear of mine since Far Cry 2 which genuinely did have an amazing real-time day/night cycle. In AC/The Division the time of day only changes as you move (incredibly distracting once you notice it), and in Far Cry 3-5 it just swaps from day to night in about 20 second every so often. 

Don't get me wrong though, I wouldn't complain if Infinite looked a bit more like this. Plonk some Forerunner structures in the distance, a few Covenant patrols flying about, and set me free.

Far Cry 5 / What A Sight

1 hour ago, CarloOos said:

Don't get me wrong though, I wouldn't complain if Infinite looked a bit more like this. Plonk some Forerunner structures in the distance, a few Covenant patrols flying about, and set me free.

Far Cry 5 / What A Sight

so, something like this?...yeah....yeah...:(

Capture.thumb.JPG.601a11f53205d6700cdd2c28aa260e99.JPG

upon comparing them, i'm amazed how similar they look?!

• Upvote 7

No amount of fancy lighting patches will make up for the goofy hairless monkey poundshop Thanos, the lame banter and stiff animation of Howling Mediocre Murdoch, the solid blue overshields and solid blue explosions with less depth and texture than an Animal Crossing cutout stand. Heart sort of sunk when the first thing you do is make another Grunt squeal. Sick of those fuckers, it’s the same punchline for 20 years. 

Was really looking forward to getting hyped over a new Halo and being forced to buy a new Xbox. CE and Reach was literally the most fun I’ve had with anything ever. The showcase should’ve put on a unimpeachable banger so it’s wild seeing the goalposts move from it being a system-seller to, oh just a subscription-seller.

• Upvote 6
15 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Edy0u_BXkAEUfHW?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Day/Night cycle.

Why is there no shadow under the Hog? God, I hope they can make it look more like that image in the post above yours.

16 minutes ago, JPL said:

Why is there no shadow under the Hog? God, I hope they can make it look more like that image in the post above yours.

Looks like it’s in shadow already in the bottom one and in the top one you can see the front right wheel is casting a really long shadow because the sun’s getting real low. 

Just now, Sarlaccfood said:

Looks like it’s in shadow already in the bottom one and in the top one you can see the front right wheel is casting a really long shadow because the sun’s getting real low. 

If you look at that bottom pic, the shadow directly underneath the Hog should be way darker. I know the whole hill is in shadow, but it still looks wrong.

21 minutes ago, JPL said:

If you look at that bottom pic, the shadow directly underneath the Hog should be way darker. I know the whole hill is in shadow, but it still looks wrong.

Hmm maybe. Depends what else is going on out of frame? I can’t see any darker shadows it should match though so what makes you say that?

3 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Hmm maybe. Depends what else is going on out of frame? I can’t see any darker shadows it should match though so what makes you say that?

It’s a bit late now, but I’ll edit that shot tomorrow to show you what I mean. Maybe I’m just being a bit critical as I’m proper knackered.

10 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

If the intention is just that it’s lit by ambient/reflected light you’d still expect the underside of the warthog to be darker than the surrounding area from the point of view of the camera. Which would typically be faked, and appears to be just omitted here.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/292663675773080440/ - e.g. the ground is in shadow to the left, which means it’s only lit by indirect light, but this doesn’t preclude there being less indirect light directly underneath the bridge.

• Upvote 1
14 minutes ago, footle said:

If the intention is just that it’s lit by ambient/reflected light you’d still expect the underside of the warthog to be darker than the surrounding area from the point of view of the camera. Which would typically be faked, and appears to be just omitted here.

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/292663675773080440/ - e.g. the ground is in shadow to the left, which means it’s only lit by indirect light, but this doesn’t preclude there being less indirect light directly underneath the bridge.

Gotcha yeah that makes sense. Way more noticeable when I actually click on the pic and not just look at it embedded on my phone too.

Yeah, it’s as if the whole image, right into the distance, has the same relatively high shadow value. You'd normally expect darker pockets towards the foreground with a similar luminance to the black tyres of the vehicle itself, which would bed it in.

• Upvote 1

My main take away from that conference has been everyone realising that game lighting is a load of horse shit and it shouldn’t have fooled us for the last three decades.

• Upvote 8
11 minutes ago, Alex W. said:

My main take away from that conference has been everyone realising that game lighting is a load of horse shit and it shouldn’t have fooled us for the last three decades.

and once you watch that digital foundry video, and then go and play another game (say... GOT) you suddenly become very interested in ray tracing, and looking forward to whatever comes after this series of consoles.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, mikeyl said:

No amount of fancy lighting patches will make up for the goofy hairless monkey poundshop Thanos, the lame banter and stiff animation of Howling Mediocre Murdoch, the solid blue overshields and solid blue explosions with less depth and texture than an Animal Crossing cutout stand.

Also, the wonky animations (look at how that Elite does a forward roll!) and bits of debris which seem to float above the ground. Every time I watch the demo I find more stuff wrong with it.

They have a concerning amount of work to do in three months if they want to avoid a MCC scenario. Maybe it's their plan to release it half-baked and then finish the job over the following months/years (after everyone has moved on).