Halo Infinite - Q? 2021

Just now, The Mighty Ash said:

How old was the demo build?

Maybe 2 or 3 if it was meant for E3 originally, but they don't even have it running on a devkit for a console that was revealed last year. That's alarming.

And even on a more powerful PC it's got popup like mad, really harsh LODing, missing effects, turned down lighting and distance detail, etc.

Apparently it's not even going to be native 4K, they're using dynamic resolution so it says "up to 4K resolution on the website", so even that stuff doesn't ring true as an excuse.

• Upvote 1

The disappointing graphics on infinite is because:

1. Being cross gen

2. Wanting to target 60fps

3. For possibly being open world-ish

4.  Its still in development so can be polished up.

People just need to put their expectations in check.  Something has to give. The series X still has limitations.  Many of us have boxes right now equal to or more powerful

Again, that would be fine if we were seeing a current gen version, and it looked current gen, but the best looking stuff (the pilots face, the cutscenes) look worse than current gen games, and the worse looking stuff (everything else) looks worse than games on 360 and Switch! There is a two gen gap between how it looks, and how it should look.

Like this is more than just "compromises", they're clearly having a lot of technical problems with their engine. There have been incredibly frequent senior staff departures, I think this has been a troubled project for a long time.

3 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Again, that would be fine if we were seeing a current gen version, and it looked current gen, but the best looking stuff (the pilots face, the cutscenes) look worse than current gen games, and the worse looking stuff (everything else) looks worse than games on 360 and Switch!

Like this is more than just "compromises", they're clearly having a lot of technical problems with their engine. There have been incredibly frequent senior staff departures, I think this has been a troubled project for a long time.

I agree its not a great showcase for next gen.

7 minutes ago, simms said:

1. Being cross gen

People just need to put their expectations in check.  Something has to give. The series X still has limitations.  Many of us have boxes right now equal to or more powerful

I think people recalibrating their Series Xpectations downwards based on that video is the one thing Microsoft doesn’t want.

34 minutes ago, simms said:

1. Being cross gen

Plenty of pc games that have to scale down to xbox one level and can run at 4k 60fps (AC Odyssesy/Witcher 3 as quick examples) and open world at equivalent series x hardware look significantly better

Look. It's a crappy looking game as a first party high budget mainline franchise intending to launch on the most powerful console ever made. It doesn't mean it's a bad game. But it's a bad looking game for the hardware and the resources behind it. 

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, Harsin said:

A screenshot specifically chosen by a large corporation to publicise the flagship game of their new console, which they're marketing on the basis of just how powerful it is, to try and convince you why you should buy it.

spacer.png

The detail on those trees is utterly impeccable. Naughty Dog have some catching up to do.

• Upvote 5
2 hours ago, SweatyTravolta said:

That's the thing. Why is everyone saying it's going to have this, it's going to have that and that's why it looks like a tramp spunked in your eye! Based on all shown evidence it has none of that. I was expecting s shot coming over a hill to reveal a Dead Rising level of bad guys all in a massive scrap. Instead I got a couple of beefed out Californian Raisins with no shading.

Because those things are staples of Halo and they’ve already shown a warthog? Unless you think it’s safer to assume that’s the only vehicle that’s going to be in it?

1 hour ago, simms said:

Many of us have boxes right now equal to or more powerful

I don't think many of us have a GTX 2080 Super under our desk, no. That's the current maximum high end with nothing better.

The problem is the game looks like it could run on integrated graphics on a laptop, rather than putting a card like that through it's paces.

49 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Because those things are staples of Halo and they’ve already shown a warthog? Unless you think it’s safer to assume that’s the only vehicle that’s going to be in it?

I do wonder if flying is going to be in outside of cutscenes, the menu screen shows those rock rings that are everywhere are portals, so you might just teleport about.

Similarly, the way the map is split up reminds me of Mirrors Edge Catalyst, where the game had these impassible urban crevasses which could only be crossed at set points so they could stream the next area in, I don't think that flying works with that sort of setup.

The scripted path the Pelican was on was also pretty low, flying below the walls, like the helicopter in MGSV, so it didn't have to render everything, and the story context seems to be you two being the last survivors of this big battle that happened before the game began, so I'm not expecting armies clashing.

• Upvote 1
48 minutes ago, The Mighty Ash said:

How old was the demo build?

From January.

theyve said RT hasn’t been added yet, but otherwise I think most of what is being misjudged as “poor grafix” is a shift away from photorealism and towards a thing of it’s own.

Ultimately , you could sharpen all of those textures, apply post process CA, some grain and some more bloom , lens flare and colemtric effects and the game would instantly look “better”.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Is it normal to have a "Start Demo" splash screen on a preview like this? Seemed like an odd thing to show.

Maybe it was running through xCloud and they plan on releasing the demo to everybody and every device soon :p

Capture.PNG

48 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

I mean, to be fair, Halo Wars 2 had the best Halo story in a long while because it wasn't an incoherent mess that required 16 pieces of expanded universe materials to understand who any of the characters were. Embarrassing that an offshoot RTS did a much better story than the last two mainline FPS games.

The story in Halo Wars 2 was the classic example of soulless recycling of things from previous games in the series to give the fans what they think they want. Like, the story is that the spaceship from Halo Wars 1 turns up at the Ark from Halo 3. And oh, calamity! It's been taken over by the Brutes. The story involves them making a new halo. The flood turn up in the DLC. The only original element was the Banished, who are about as distinct from the Covenant as the Empire was from the First Order.

It wasn't a bad game, but it had absolutely no identity of its own. It felt more like a content delivery platform than a game.

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, EvilBoris said:

From January.

theyve said RT hasn’t been added yet, but otherwise I think most of what is being misjudged as “poor grafix” is a shift away from photorealism and towards a thing of it’s own.

Ultimately , you could sharpen all of those textures, apply post process CA, some grain and some more bloom , lens flare and colemtric effects and the game would instantly look “better”.

Cool. If they can switch all that on before launch, there’s no need to worry.

13 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

It's not from January, the bloke who said that was making it up.

It seems to be a pretty recent build.

Oh. That fucks things up a bit then. How do you know?

I thought some of the screen shots look pretty poor . Particularly the battle scene with trees Ported in from the original game . A shot that impressively manages to get worse every time you see it .
I am relieved to hear it’s not bobbins and I’m just misjudging it. 

If it is an old build (I bet it's not) they are idiots.

The big chance to show off a highly anticipated game on a new console and we got a shit demo that looked worse graphically than halo 5.

Stupid. 

• Upvote 2
50 minutes ago, Wahwah* said:

Alanah who? Does she not have her own twitter?

She did a video and was almost in tears that everyone was just posting HaLOL memes on twitter instead of talking about how incredible GamePass is.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, JPL said:

Cool. If they can switch all that on before launch, there’s no need to worry.

Oh. That fucks things up a bit then. How do you know?

RT is post launch. Those were just examples of the kind of visual fluff that gets switched on to create a certain look, I don’t think they will do that however as I think this look is intentional 

9 minutes ago, EvilBoris said:

RT is post launch. Those were just examples of the kind of visual fluff that gets switched on to create a certain look, I don’t think they will do that however as I think this look is intentional 

To be honest, I love how they've gone back to the more cartoony look of the original. It definitely makes the enemies easier to differentiate and makes it feel more like a game.

They really need to add in that visual fluff though, whether that's through lighting, particle effects, whatever. At the moment it does look too basic, but it looks like it plays really well, so I'm not writing it off yet.

After the initial reveal trailer from 2018, I was hoping they'd be a lot closer to that. How much work would it be to pull it round now?

I bought an Xbox after reading the review in Edge and seeing the gameplay (along with knowing that Out Run 2 was only coming to Xbox) it was amazing, those 30 second moments were like nothing else on a console for FPS. I liked the 2nd one too. I never signed up to XBox online so missed out on MP. (as took the cheapskate option ie free online gaming on the PS3)  

This looks to have the same type of gameplay, which if they can capture will be good,  but 343 don't seem to have evolved it much which is a shame. 

Visually, it looks as though that could be something running on an Xbox X, not the Series X

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, JPL said:

To be honest, I love how they've gone back to the more cartoony look of the original. It definitely makes the enemies easier to differentiate and makes it feel more like a game.

but you can make games that look cartoony and good at the same time. Sea of Thieves or Luigi's Mansion 3 spring to mind

• Upvote 3

I wouldn’t count on it. I was worried from the outset seeing that pilots guys facial stuff. The whole thing is leagues away from where it needs to be for a first party lead title. I mean that brute boss speech to camera was terrible and waxy. Sony must be chuckling today as the games they have out today look a different gen ahead from this mess.

As @Ksaid earlier that teaser from before with herds of futuristic wildebeest moving across a plain, super high textures of trees etc, was what I was expecting - a huge beautiful Halo canvas writ large by the power of the X. Not a bald, polygon headed brute, with no facial animation whilst being punched in the mush and trees made out of six textures rotated around a trunk.

This just looks cobbled together at the moment. Remember the wow moment of seeing the Scarab; there was no high point to this just a checkbox of nostalgia.

• Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, SweatyTravolta said:

but you can make games that look cartoony and good at the same time. Sea of Thieves or Luigi's Mansion 3 spring to mind

Yeah, sure. That's what I'm asking - how much work would it take for them to add all the fancy effects, filtering, lighting, etc. to make it look great? I think the art direction is fine, it's just the finishing touches that need cranking up*.

*I'm not a game developer, so no idea how easy any of this is to rectify.