IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

A good few games in now and I’d never have thought that, for me, the Halo sweet spot has moved from 4v4 to BTB. Obvs it’s early but they really have nailed the big battle vibe. Beautiful chaos. And it’s funny like Halo should be.

I’m so bad at it though. 

managed to kill a chicken

Big Team Battle Stockpile is an instant favourite. Even this early on I saw some great strategies like plonking shields down in front of the power seed pile to provide cover for a Warthog turret to peek over the top and set up a defense as a couple of the team picked the seeds up and hopped on the back of a Mongoose to hoof it back to our base, all while another couple of players went off to sabotage the enemies base at the same time while they were otherwise occupied.

Awesome stuff. This is an absolute banger on first impressions.

49 minutes ago, Shook said:

Right I got overexcited and bought 1000 credits thinking I could, you know, get something cool in return. I bought the Battle Pass.

I don’t seem to have anything new. 

Have I been done over?

Nah, each battle pass level will give you 2 rewards now instead of just the one. But you'll need to hit level 1 first :)

The red, white and blue armour paint is currently free in the store. Tap the HCS Offers button in the bottom left and you’ll see it. :hat:

This plays fantastically well but I agree that it will see a rapid drop-off in numbers if they don’t tone down the insane grind for the battle pass and fill it with some more desirable items. It’s a really poor effort in that regard at the moment and the pace of progression is positively glacial. Daily and weekly challenges are fine but awarding small amounts of XP for each kill, flag capture in CTF, round win etc. would help hugely with the sense of progression. I’m not too bothered about cosmetics and shit personally but if they want to retain as many players as possible for the F2P portion I think they’ll need to address it because people love that stuff these days and will soon get bored otherwise.

Also, when did what seems like half the entire Xbox playerbase become a legit MLG Pro at Halo? I’m decent enough at BTB but every single match I’ve come up against at least one insanely good player who just fucking annihilates the opposition and racks up a massive kill count. Maybe the matchmaking will begin to balance itself out over the next week or so, if there is such a thing.

Nope I still don't like Halo MP. I don't know what it is but it just doesn't click with me.

Getting destroyed by some guy in a flying tank with rockets over and over again in BtB didn't help.

Is there any way to just play Slayer games? They are much more enjoyable than playing objective based game modes where players play them like they were Slayer games anyway. 😆

First of all, this seems really quality. This is probably my favourite MP shooter on consoles since Apex Legends was released. 

Leveling seems awfully slow, though. After five rounds with 5-10 kills each round and some captures I’ve yet to reach level one.

Also, is the matchmaking cross platform with PC by default? It seemed like some of our opponents were highly skiller and had mad precision aim in every showdown. I know I’m getting old and my reflexes slower but I really didn’t stand much of a chance in most duels. I’m used to quite a high K:D ratio in these type of games but on this I was averaging 1:1 with a couple of rounds as bad as 1:2.

This release has also gotten me pumped for the campaign, it’ll likely be my christmas game this holiday. Can’t wait :)

4 hours ago, pinholestar said:

The red, white and blue armour paint is currently free in the store. Tap the HCS Offers button in the bottom left and you’ll see it. :hat:

This plays fantastically well but I agree that it will see a rapid drop-off in numbers if they don’t tone down the insane grind for the battle pass and fill it with some more desirable items. It’s a really poor effort in that regard at the moment and the pace of progression is positively glacial. Daily and weekly challenges are fine but awarding small amounts of XP for each kill, flag capture in CTF, round win etc. would help hugely with the sense of progression. I’m not too bothered about cosmetics and shit personally but if they want to retain as many players as possible for the F2P portion I think they’ll need to address it because people love that stuff these days and will soon get bored otherwise.

Also, when did what seems like half the entire Xbox playerbase become a legit MLG Pro at Halo? I’m decent enough at BTB but every single match I’ve come up against at least one insanely good player who just fucking annihilates the opposition and racks up a massive kill count. Maybe the matchmaking will begin to balance itself out over the next week or so, if there is such a thing.

The other big problem with tying everything to challenges is that you always end up with loads of people playing the challenges not the objective. So you’ll be trying to grab the flag, but the rest of your team are too busy trying to destroy a banshee with a plasma pistol while stood on one leg.

5 hours ago, pinholestar said:

Yep, this is the main issue with this at the moment. I imagine they will listen to the criticism, much like Apex did on their first battle pass attempt.

As you say, you should get XP for kills, captures, multi kills, wins etc. Not just challenges.

Also SWAT is missing.

But apart from those two things, this game is fucking incredible. The important bit, how it actually plays, is something that they have absolutely nailed.

Given all the very sensible reasons why not to release HI multiplayer now, and as a shadow drop, has the main strategic driver behind it been - get out before Battlefield, and while the launch runway is relatively clear of F2P battlers?

35 minutes ago, FatOldGeek said:

How much of a game is there here if you just stick to bots?

I’ve found every single PvP FPS I’ve ever played an utterly frustrating experience but I could fancy giving it a try with the bots. 

It’s a lot of fun, give it a try as you’ve nothing to lose. 

14 minutes ago, Popo said:

Given all the very sensible reasons why not to release HI multiplayer now, and as a shadow drop, has the main strategic driver behind it been - get out before Battlefield, and while the launch runway is relatively clear of F2P battlers?

Probably, but I’d like to think it was because it was exactly 20 years ago to the day that Halo CE launched.

I had a game last night where two of the four opposing players were AFK. I can only respect that kind of commitment to the AFK lifestyle given that there's no benefit at all to going AFK in Halo Infinite. They must be doing it for the love of it. 

I really like the Power Seeds mode, probably better than Capture the Flag, it feels like you can contribute a bit more.

I didn't notice they also mentioned they'd delayed Season 2:

Season 1 is now expected to run until May 2022, which is months longer than 343's original plan to release a new season every three months. In a blog post, Microsoft's Joseph Staten said it extended the length of the inaugural season to give developers enough time to allow Season 2's content to reach its quality standards and to complete the work on the content "in a healthy and sustainable" way for the developers.

Microsoft had said that campaign co-op is expected to launch in Season 2. Given that Season 2's start-date is now coming later than expected, it seems campaign co-op has been delayed, too. Forge was expected to launch after Season 2, so it, too, has seemingly shifted to a later date. Staten said 343 will make announcements in January about Season 2, as well as its plans for campaign co-op and Forge. In any event, GameSpot has followed up with Microsoft to try to get more details.

I'm surprised they didn't have the team just working on the seasons content during the year delay, I was sure they were talking earlier like they had a whole bunch of stuff already lined up, although maybe it's the co-op that's delayed and they don't want to undo their commitment that they'd launch together. 

I had a game last night where two of the four opposing players were AFK. I can only respect that kind of commitment to the AFK lifestyle given that there's no benefit at all to going AFK in Halo Infinite. They must be doing it for the love of it. 

Unfortunately there is when one of the daily progression challenges is just complete matches win or lose, this is why it would be better if XP was tied to you and your teams performance and not stuff like this or get X kills with a really bad weapon that will probably disadvantage the rest of your team.

8 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Unfortunately there is when one of the daily progression challenges is just play matches, this is why it would be better if XP was tied to you and your teams performance.

Didn't think of that. That's a pretty big oversight by 343. Probably explains why people are going AFK then, given how slow progression is.

Anyone else having problems with weapon select on scroll wheel on the PC? I’ve never played such a weird implementation of it - rather than a swish up or down each individual tick on my G520 swaps and a swish simply goes back to the original weapon, it feels terrible, and weird, but maybe I’m missing something?

Apart from that it’s good. Big Team Battle is just chaos and not that enjoyable and the ttk at times is near ludicrous but the arenas are fun and map design and visuals well developed. 

On the Big Team Battle modes, I found Domination (or whatever the Halo version is called!) to be waaaaay more fun than CTF.  The latter always seems to be too tense and very few captures ever happen as the maps are too big.  CTF is better with 4 player teams on the smaller maps IMO.

The domination-esque game type I played was tremendous fun - absolute carnage in and around the contested areas, but some good team work and strategic positioning all help.  The fact that the contested points move around the map also really help the flow of each map, as some useful spots are utterly useless when the action moves elsewhere.

Think I'm going to focus on ranked matches so the match making improves as (understandably for day 1!) some of the mismatches are ridiculous at the moment.  I'm very, very rusty with multiplayer games and sometimes I have horrendous matches and end up near the bottom of the leaderboards.