IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

You know I didn't really look at the F2P stuff much in the alpha, but looking at it now I'm not sure it's going to be a success.

The progression is all challenge based and very slow, it took me 2 hours to go up to Level 1 just now. And it's got probably the worst Battle Pass I've ever seen, they try to make it look as if you get stuff regularly, but most of the free items are just the ability to swap out a few challenges for another challenge.

Complete those 120 levels at 240 hours(!) of multiplayer gameplay, and you get two pieces of armour (not armour sets, pieces), three end screen poses, a new windscreen for the warthog (thanks Autoglass) and a little pizza and master chief to hang off your gun. I can't see that attracting many people to keep playing for how many seasons they've surely got planned.

Plays like a dream, this. 

Couple of custom 1v1’s with my mate. Nice. 

Bot bootcamp. Nice. 

Played a ‘real’ game 4v4 and got absolutely and completely bummed out of the galaxy. With no lube. 

Reality. 

might have to stick to bots and custom games with mates lol.

12 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

You know I didn't really look at the F2P stuff much in the alpha, but looking at it now I'm not sure it's going to be a success.

The progression is all challenge based and very slow, it took me 2 hours to go up to Level 1 just now. And it's got probably the worst Battle Pass I've ever seen, they try to make it look as if you get stuff regularly, but most of the free items are just the ability to swap out a few challenges for another challenge.

Complete those 120 levels at 240 hours(!) of multiplayer gameplay, and you get two pieces of armour (not armour sets, pieces), three end screen poses, a new windscreen for the warthog (thanks Autoglass) and a little pizza and master chief to hang off your gun. I can't see that attracting many people to keep playing for how many seasons they've surely got planned.

That sounds dire, but I'm assuming they'll keep an eye on feedback and adjust accordingly. At least, I would hope so.

4 minutes ago, Popo said:

Managed to get 4 kills and 3 deaths against bots. I’m going to get pulverised against other players, aren’t I?

I went 11-0 against bots with a triple kill, a few double kills and a killing spree. Felt pretty good about myself.

First quick play match:

47ACB837-18AB-42B3-95BE-BC30646EEFDF.thumb.png.fbb5c0306176d90e257c8c962e0e83cf.png

😐

OK, couple of hours later and I’m still shit but I’m now shit with a premium battle pass. :facepalm:

I think I like the 24 player modes. There’s enough headless chickening going on to get a few kills. 

It’s definitely got the one more go factor for sure but the battle pass levelling is sloooooow. 

Topped the scoreboard in my first Big Team Battle game though didn’t I. 🤗

Think my reflexes aren’t up to closed small arena games against 12 year old Fortnite ninjas these days but the large, objective-based games are much more manageable and reward strategy and tactical nous a lot more. All those years of Battlefield put me in good stead on the larger maps.

It’s slick as hell, very polished and plays beautifully. A lovely surprise after the desperately disappointing Battlefield 2042, so my multiplayer shenanigans over Xmas and New Year are taken care of.

If it proves to have legs and the campaign delivers then this and Forza Horizon 5 have been a pretty awesome end to the year for Xbox.

This is a bit good isn’t it? Some cracking games tonight.

It’s so refreshing to play an FPS where everyone mostly has the same guns and you don’t have to worry about the ever changing *urgh* meta and choosing from a gazillion attachments that make bit of a bar chart go up or down 0.00001%.

Echo the criticism of the battle pass, it makes Apex Legends rightfully maligned first pass look like an exercise in speedy progression and desirable rewards.

You have to imagine EA are pretty miffed right now. This has sucked all the oxygen out of the room and is getting good publicity all over the shop. Meanwhile they’re getting articles like this about their shitshow of a launch, and they haven’t even released Battlefueld properly yet.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-11-15-battlefield-2042s-opening-weekend-has-been-a-disaster

https://kotaku.com/battlefield-2042-feels-like-the-wrong-game-at-the-wrong-1848062293

And the lead platform for BF2042 was Xbox...

This is sublime, I topped the leaderboard in my first game of big team battle. I stress I have average Dadcore level skills at best but a lot of that players in the game seemed very green. I spent some time in that match in the middle of the map mowing several members of the opposing team on a stationary warthog...maybe I got lucky, or maybe I am playing against bots without realising...

Dunno if its just me, but it feels like they've put aim assist/stickiness in for controller players. Thats not just me right? :unsure:

The flights were a real struggle on controller I felt, at least with things like the sniper rifle and spiker - may as well not have picked those up then.

I tried this out with fairly middling expectations given I haven't played much halo multiplayer seriously since Reach and the MCC.

Tried it on PC and they've nailed it got to give them credit. It looks the best Halo has ever looked, ran smooth as better and made the controls and gunplay feel smooth, contemporary but still felt exactly like a Halo game should in 2021. 

Will definitely be playing with with buddies. 

Definitely aim assist. I have no idea what's going on, where the weapons are, what the glowing things that appear do, how to change load out etc but I'm holding my own. First multiplayer halo I've played since 2, but it's nice to see sprinting up to people and smashing them with the butt of a rifle still ohkos them.

Finding it tense when winning though. Had a surprising capture the flag match, in which I captured the flag both times! Just drove up in a warthog, picked it up, then got lost running back to the base, but still got it back in time. Second time I even killed someone with it! Thought that would have given me something, but nope.

Whoever said the unlocks are stingy is correct. Win or lose it's just 100xp for playing, which is utterly pointless.

Also, how do you grappling hook?