IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

That DF video is quite interesting. The sparks in Infinite do look a bit shoddy, and clearly a lot worse than their equivalents in the original Halo, but at the same time, the particle effects in Halo were probably better than they had to be. It reminds me of a quote from 2003 from Michael Evans, one of the programmers of the original game:

Michael: Right. Okay, I'll take a shot at that. I think that there's never enough time in the world to max any piece of hardware out. There are so many opportunities that we just didn't have the time to take, and one of them that comes vividly to my mind is a day on Halo 1 where Jason [Jones, lead developer on Halo] and I were talking about particles. Jason was like, "we should scrap the particle system, and rewrite it, because it totally sucks, and was designed around a PC architecture." I was like, "we have, like, four weeks, Jason. There's no way we're scrapping the particle system and rewriting it." And there was no choice we made in Halo 2... any time anybody wanted to redo something to make it better, to make it better fit the architecture, that's what we've done. It's been a lot of work on behalf of a lot of people... but I think it's really great. I'm sure we could stretch things further.

It sort of illustrates the difference between Halo and Halo Infinite, which was that the first game was made by a relatively small team of young people with very little structure or organisation who mostly did things according to what they wanted to do at any given moment, and who when they realised they had a deadline just stayed in the office and did as much as they could until the deadline hit and they released what they had. You can imagine that an organisation like 343 / Microsoft are going to have different priorities, and are going to want to cut corners in different places than Bungie did. So instead of ripping out fifteen of the 25 proposed levels in Halo and most of the plot, they're jettisoning stuff like co-op and going with these weirdly awful but generally not very noticeable stuff like the sparks. But at the same time, there are parallels between the two games. It remains to be seen what Halo Infinite is going to be like, but part of me thinks that it isn't a proper Halo game if they didn't do all of it in a mad panic in the last eighteen months.

1 hour ago, Stanley said:

Yep, all feature complete when they launched, in the late 90s.

Not to drag this out in the Halo thread but...

Spoiler

The emulation is n't what it should be and has been all over the news since launch even worse than what they managed with Mario 64. And this little beauty just recently. They aint as wonderful as you think, screw up just as much as others:

On 07/11/2021 at 17:07, Nick R said:

Because the Digital Foundry video the other day was so popular, :eyebrows: here's their new video complaining about the lighting on enemies standing in shadow, inconsistent framerates on certain animations, and flickery spark effects when the air-dropped vehicle lands. (To be honest, the sparks in that shot do look poor compared to all other Halo spark effects.)

Christ what a load of garbage - His "PC Master Race" persona is utter shite.

Hmm, so the map is not open initially.  Wonder how they limit you from just taking off in an flying vehicle ?

Not sure I like the idea of the scanner flagging up where all the enemy are

While I don't mind the graphics, I can see how the xbox one has hamstrung them

2 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

You say that about the xbox one having hamstrung them graphically but that doesn’t seem a valid argument when you see what Playground Games have done with Forza Horizon 5.

I really think because Halo's art style is dated and cheesy, no amount of next-gen polish will make it look contemporary. How good can Halo really look with silly enemies like Brutes, Jackals and Grunts? The more you model and texture that shit, the worse it will look because the designs are just naff. Even the Elites themselves are pretty old hat now. It must be frustrating as hell for 343s artists to be limited by what Bungie's artists dreamt up 20 years ago.

I'm looking forward to Infinite and think it will be good. But its familiarity will always draw comparisons to CE and whether it's as good and of course it never will be.

28 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

You say that about the xbox one having hamstrung them graphically but that doesn’t seem a valid argument when you see what Playground Games have done with Forza Horizon 5.

Just imagine what the next Forza will look like when it's not hampered by last gen. Cant wait. 

26 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

Not sure what to say other than maybe 343 are 'lazy devs' ;)

Maybe comparing Forza 5 with Halo Infinite is an oranges to apple comparison as Halo may possibly be more demanding under the hood? 🤷‍♂️ Maybe 343 had more time constraints with having to go back to the drawing board with their infamous presentation last year?  I can only give my opinion on what I see.  

That Brute interior level looked incredibly poor, like someone had put it together in Forge.

People are willing to blame everything but the actual problem though, it's not the hardware as shown by FH5 or FC5, and it's not the "classic artstyle" considering that's a completely new environment for Halo.

On 11/11/2021 at 20:20, metallicfrodo said:

I for one am looking forward to finding out who will receive the award ‘Best looking game with a Warthog in’ 2021. 

On 08/11/2021 at 18:36, Lorfarius said:

Not to drag this out in the Halo thread but...

Hide contents

The emulation is n't what it should be and has been all over the news since launch even worse than what they managed with Mario 64. And this little beauty just recently. They aint as wonderful as you think, screw up just as much as others:

Why are we comparing an obscure bug which was fixed near instantly from a GOTY contender which was launched three months after it was announced, to a missing mainline feature which the series had previously defined in a game which has taken five years and unlimited funds to produce?

Its a shame they can’t be proud of releasing a complete package while calling it a job well done. I’d be well up for paying €70 for a complete new Halo. As it stands I feel that my Game Pass sub, which for some reason I haven’t been charged for in nearly two years, covers it just fine. It’s like things aren’t being taken seriously, like one big fucking doss.

That said I’m really looking forward to the MP. That’s all I’ve ever cared about with Halo anyway.

47 minutes ago, Fallows said:

Why are we comparing an obscure bug which was fixed near instantly from a GOTY contender which was launched three months after it was announced, to a missing mainline feature which the series had previously defined in a game which has taken five years and unlimited funds to produce?

Its a shame they can’t be proud of releasing a complete package while calling it a job well done. I’d be well up for paying €70 for a complete new Halo. As it stands I feel that my Game Pass sub, which for some reason I haven’t been charged for in nearly two years, covers it just fine. It’s like things aren’t being taken seriously, like one big fucking doss.

That said I’m really looking forward to the MP. That’s all I’ve ever cared about with Halo anyway.

Oh nice. What’s it like on Legendary?