IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

It looks alright, a bit standard open-world template, and a not-particularly-diverse looking open world at that for something that's taken 6 years (between the forests, the Banished outpost and the Forerunner spire I feel I've seen all there is), but at least the extra year means it's no longer embarrassing to look at, even if it doesn't wow either.

2 hours ago, 5R7 said:

19 seconds in - I want it to be one of the best PC games available...8-)

7miutes and 19 seconds in - we've partnered with AMD...who helped with optimisation...:doh: AMD have 15% of the GPU market on PC...and this means, it will run worse on nvidia cards of equal compare than it should as amd have a history of that...greeeeeat.

Yep indeed, Nvidia would of been the preferred partner with DLSS and RTX but I'm still optimistic

I also thought it looked great. 
Since the first Halo, it really felt like pushing the open world/dynamic elements of the game would be the right thing to do but instead they moved to something a bit more cinematic and linear with Halo 2. 

Looks like amazing fun! I'll be there day one. The Multiplayer tests were amazing too! 

I really like the grapple, gives the combat an added bit of strategy, ups the pace when facing multiple enemies and just looks cool as hell. Certainly I haven't been this enthusiastic about playing a new Halo game since the hype around the sequel. Can't decide whether to play it this year on my Xbox One or wait until I've got the pennies together for a Series X. I'll be curious to see what they've had to cut to get it running on the XO.

I wonder if it'll take place over multiple discrete sandbox environments? Kind of like a series of larger, dynamic versions of Halo:CE's second stage (or like Destiny's planets, I guess). I think I'd prefer that to one huge map - it would give a sense of progression and each zone could feel very distinct. I also would't mind a couple of more traditional stages like those aboard Covenant or UNSC capital ships.

23 minutes ago, Pob said:

I wonder if it'll take place over multiple discrete sandbox environments?

Surely it must. I can’t imagine for a second the whole map is one contiguous, accessible space. Just jump in a warthog or banshee and head anywhere? Nah.

Imho a Crysis 1 approach would work best in combination with the evolved combat - the idea and feeling of a sandbox, and big enough to make vehicles feel useful. As you guys say, multiple discrete sandbox environments. Not Far Cry 2 meets Halo CE, but rather Crysis 1 (original PC version specifically) meets Halo CE.

Anyway, can't believe some of us didn't notice the massively improved lighting and details - that initial reveal will stick with people no matter what it seems. For what it's worth, I thought this looks great now. The proof is in the playing of course, but the potential is off the charts. *IF* they nail the feeling of Combat Evolved but with even more evolved combat in environments that are fun to explore and filled with brilliant combat encounters - this could be the most impressive Halo since CE. Maybe even the first proper sequel, the first to build on the evolved combat of the original game since all the sequels so far went into a more cinematic direction.

It could go either way still, but at least the potential is there if we look at the current footage. This looks hell of promising. I'm choosing to be optimistic and I'm dialing my personal hype up just a notch :)

42 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Surely it must. I can’t imagine for a second the whole map is one contiguous, accessible space. Just jump in a warthog or banshee and head anywhere? Nah.

I don’t see why not. Loads of open world games have transport that can zip you around but use various mechanics to stop you going everywhere right at the start. 

On 25/10/2021 at 14:21, BitterToad said:

It basically looks like Halo Just Cause and Halo Crackdown rolled into one.

12 minutes ago, Girth Certificate said:

or like the Just Cause games where they don't even bother :lol: 

Calling in vehicle drops from the air, and using a grappling hook to grab onto and hijack flying vehicles? Very Just Cause 2!

46 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Anyway, can't believe some of us didn't notice the massively improved lighting

I'm wondering how much of that is due to the sun being lower to the horizon. And how much the earlier choice was "we don't have performant shadows".

Nice Halo breakdown video, spots things you may have missed. 

I'm excited by the interactions with marines and having FOB's dotted around like being part of a real battle with the Banished.  One of the things I love about Halo is the meta game of trying to save as many Marines as possible for a s long as possible so you have a small troop.  Hopefully this element can be more fleshed out but not too granular as to change the Halo formula.

I'm excited by the interactions with marines and having FOB's dotted around like being part of a real battle with the Banished.  One of the things I love about Halo is the meta game of trying to save as many Marines as possible for a s long as possible so you have a small troop.  Hopefully this element can be more fleshed out but not too granular as to change the Halo formula.

hopefully. 5 didn't have nearly enough dudes you could give rocket launchers to. Just those useless spartans.

Actually, the chief should end up with his own Firelink Shrine style area full of rescued marines, and a Cannon Fodder style graveyard for the ones you let get eaten by brutes.