IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

Well that was an absolutely excellent weekend of Halo after @TommyG helped me sort out my controls. It feels like old school Halo again but with a much more modern "sandbox-y" twist. I know what we've seen so far hasn't exactly lit any fires but if the items and the weapons and the open world connect in the single player it could be really special too. 

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting that they introduced ultra wide support after all the cinematic were done. Ideally, you wouldn’t have done those things in that order. I wonder to what extent that kind of feature creep is representative of the development process. 

29 minutes ago, Stanley said:

It’s gonna be good I can feel it. 

All that matters to me in this 2pm showing is the following: "Does the sandbox look fun?" Graphically I hope it's a lot better than what we saw before, obviously. But in gameplay terms I just want to see things clicking together in a way that looks like we can get that 60 seconds of fun in an open world context. I still think the idea if Infinite is exciting, especially after seeing how well all the different elements click together in the multiplayer. If you can give me that AI with a really fun sandbox in an open world I think we could be on for something really special. 

Of course it could be another horror show and we could end up with an absolute clunker. I really, really hope that's not the case. 

I'm confident that this Halo will be a special one.  They really have nailed the feel of the multiplayer, and the fact we've seen practically nothing of the campaign actually makes me think that we're in for a treat.

Glass very much half full for me!

What would be amazing is if they wrote "Craig" into the game. Whereby Master Chief allies with a Brute who, in the absence of using his own name which perhaps has no meaning in our language, adopts the name Craig after overhearing it in conversation and mistakenly thinking it's an honourable hero's name. Would be a great way to subvert the meme and inject some comic relief.

Of course, this won't happen because it's made by 343i, it'll be a po-faced affair with attempted "military gravitas". 

Not expecting much graphically (besides a very clean, glitch-free image) but I already thought the gameplay looked fun last time, and having played the MP test I’m confident they’ve nailed the ‘feel’ of Halo. I reckon this might end up being the sleeper hit of this Christmas period, I’m not seeing much optimism for CoD or Battlefield this year so the stage is set for a bit of an upset. 

Story will be total shit though, that’s a nailed-on guarantee. 

(Yes, yes, most expensive game ever so how can it be a ‘sleeper’ etc).

I bet it'll be like MGS2, you'll spend an hour running about on a Halo shooting wort wort worting Elites as the Chief and then you switch to Firefly Guy and fight Prometheans and learn about the Forerunner's war with pre-historic spacefaring humans for 20, with loads of Cortana and her battle with space dementia.

We already know that it feels amazing to play and looks really good thanks to the MP tests. The main thing I'm interested in is the structure. I'm all for a much more open wordly approach but not that standard "tick off icons on a map" setup.

It’s going to be all about the structure. Halo 5 looked amazing and the MP sandbox is incredible, but the campaign structure on that really wasn’t well received, so I don’t think we will know anything about the game until we actually have reviews coming in. They could show all kinds of little encounters in the footage at 2pm but we then have to hope it’s not broken up by fights with a boss like Warden Eternal at the end of every section.

I thought the story of Halo 5 was boring, but TBQH I wasn't that bothered because I love how that game feels to play.  I won't be too upset if this is similar gameplay wise.  Anything more than that is a bonus - I'm more than confident that the multiplayer will keep me busy for a very long time so the package as a whole should get the thumbs up from me.

Just now, Boothjan said:

I thought the story of Halo 5 was boring, but TBQH I wasn't that bothered because I love how that game feels to play.  I won't be too upset if this is similar gameplay wise.  Anything more than that is a bonus - I'm more than confident that the multiplayer will keep me busy for a very long time so the package as a whole should get the thumbs up from me.

See I thought 4 was pretty boring story wise but 5 was outright awful. All of the "evil Cortana" stuff just reads like childish fan fiction, which I suppose is what it is. Then again Halo's never had an even half decent story outside of some nice atmosphere in the first game. I quite liked the basic "finish the fight" pull of 3, but everything that happened within that was nonsensical garbage. 

Just now, BitterToad said:

See I thought 4 was pretty boring story wise but 5 was outright awful. All of the "evil Cortana" stuff just reads like childish fan fiction, which I suppose is what it is. Then again Halo's never had an even half decent story outside of some nice atmosphere in the first game. I quite liked the basic "finish the fight" pull of 3, but everything that happened within that was nonsensical garbage. 

I can't disagree with any of that!  I couldn't even tell you what happened story-wise after Halo 3!  All I know is that I've enjoyed them all despite the confusing and dull plotlines.