IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

38 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Wow you guys are just being fucking arseholes in here, I never said I didn't know when they were or didn't get it, I was just trying to help Talvalin who clearly didn't know it.

I wasn’t aiming that at you. I think if they wanted to stress test the servers more then why make it insider only.

55 minutes ago, Strafe said:

That said, they could have stressed it more with an open beta.

That's not how it works.

8 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I wasn’t aiming that at you. I think if they wanted to stress test the servers more then why make it insider only.

So they know the rough amount they're going to have per server. Too many and it's just game over.

Been playing this but it doesnt feel like theres much, if any, aim assist to me, although that may be because I've mainly only played Destiny 2 and the aim assist is so strong there on controller. Also matchmaking seems to just throw people together, whether you're solo or not, so its probably advantageous to go in as a team. I've been getting battered, likely due to going in solo and the enemy players are either in fireteams, or used to the controls far more than I am.

I managed to get a bit more time with it (only in Training). I quite like the grapple but really don’t like the lack of a dash/mid air dash/charge/ground pound. I loved all of those in Halo 5. I don’t really get why they took them out. 

I’ll still be playing loads of this, though. 

1 hour ago, Mr Ben said:

Been playing this but it doesnt feel like theres much, if any, aim assist to me, although that may be because I've mainly only played Destiny 2 and the aim assist is so strong there on controller. Also matchmaking seems to just throw people together, whether you're solo or not, so its probably advantageous to go in as a team. I've been getting battered, likely due to going in solo and the enemy players are either in fireteams, or used to the controls far more than I am.

There is less aim assist, and I think that since this is geared towards server load management, as has been mentioned, that skill based matchmaking probably isn't on the menu at the moment. 

I think people are expecting a demo. It's not a demo really.

I certainly wasnt expecting a demo, as I've played the previous flight.

Its a bit of a shame not much changed between the two flights though, given how much feedback they got about the aim assist being so bad. I really hope they dont listen to the m+k lot though, as they just keep banging on about how aim assist is like cheating, whereas they dont seem to realise they have crazy movement compared to controller players to compensate.

Yes it’s very much just them testing stuff out, a full proper Beta will come down the line.

I got more into it today, although still miss boost, you just have to accept that neither of the starting weapons is good over distance (unlike in H5) and that the assault rifle is the go to default.

What I do find weird currently is that your team mates have no physical presence with regards to you running through them, or indeed standing on the same spot as them. Also I’m wonder if they are really considering going with friendly fire off when it releases. Being able to Chuck grenades where your team mates are in a battle seems weird. Even more weird that they block your shots and their shields light up but they take no damage.

With regards to aim assist, as long as it’s an even playing field (I.e. you can matchmake just against controller players) I have no problem with it being turned right down, I’m awful and still manage to hit people.

53 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

Yes it’s very much just them testing stuff out, a full proper Beta will come down the line.

I got more into it today, although still miss boost, you just have to accept that neither of the starting weapons is good over distance (unlike in H5) and that the assault rifle is the go to default.

What I do find weird currently is that your team mates have no physical presence with regards to you running through them, or indeed standing on the same spot as them. Also I’m wonder if they are really considering going with friendly fire off when it releases. Being able to Chuck grenades where your team mates are in a battle seems weird. Even more weird that they block your shots and their shields light up but they take no damage.

With regards to aim assist, as long as it’s an even playing field (I.e. you can matchmake just against controller players) I have no problem with it being turned right down, I’m awful and still manage to hit people.

I feel the same on almost all of this.  I think Friendly Fire is part of Halo but I think it's out of fashion, I think I'd expect for it to be off by default now. 

However, I gather that there are different radar modes for "pro" play,  so I'm wondering if friendly fire will also be on a mode by mode basis, which might be why they block shots,  etc.  

A couple of videos worth watching first…

I think this game is incredible. A few thoughts at 1am in the morning. Aiming is more difficult than previous Halos (at the moment on controller) but once you have your sensitivity, FOV, deadzones dialled in it isn’t too bad. Sniping is still harder but better in this test flight than the last, which makes me think everything could and maybe subject to change so it’s nothing to worry about at this point in time. Strafe speed is much faster and bullet magnetism is less so it feels like you don’t hit all your shots but it’s possible they might change it. 

Movement is great, it’s not Halo 5 but it’s also not slow (also helped by grapple and repulser) If you watch the game above with frosty you can tell that high level games are going to be extremely fast paced and like others have mentioned the skill gap will be much bigger. It looks like a mix between H5 and Halo Reach but less cartoony than Halo 5. The sound is off the chart, some of the best sounding weapons I’ve heard ever. 

Listen to the sentinel beam on this video…

It took me a few games to get into it but teaming up with some friends we had some tie games of flag and some amazing come backs in slayer. It really does feel like a modern fast paced Halo game and I think they’ve done a brilliant job of moving Halo on and evolving it into something fresh fast but still Halo. What I really want to see now are competitive settings. BR starts and a symmetrical map please.   

I've enjoyed my time with this so far. I don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves but it is really, really good and I've tried and failed to enjoy the last few Halo games, in MP and SP. The one thing that I hope they don't change is the pacing of combat. The pacing currently feels perfect to me, with enough time after spawning to re-group and think about my movements without being thrown straight back in to the fight.

The Bazaar map is interesting because it is a homage to the counterstrike map but feels more than just visually influenced. They are working hard to think about pacing, map size and have clearly been influenced by the more successful shooters of the last 20 years.

Big thumbs up so far from me.

42 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

I've enjoyed my time with this so far. I don't want to get too far ahead of ourselves but it is really, really good and I've tried and failed to enjoy the last few Halo games, in MP and SP. The one thing that I hope they don't change is the pacing of combat. The pacing currently feels perfect to me, with enough time after spawning to re-group and think about my movements without being thrown straight back in to the fight.

The Bazaar map is interesting because it is a homage to the counterstrike map but feels more than just visually influenced. They are working hard to think about pacing, map size and have clearly been influenced by the more successful shooters of the last 20 years.

Big thumbs up so far from me.

I thought the bazaar map was based around New Mombasa from Halo 2? It certainly looks very similar, especially compared to the remaster.

One thing I do find awkward in this is switching between grenade types. Left on the d-pad to bring up your grenades, then right on the d-pad to cycle through them. It feels over fiddly, especially in the midst of combat when you might want to change types quickly.

1 hour ago, JPL said:

I thought the bazaar map was based around New Mombasa from Halo 2? It certainly looks very similar, especially compared to the remaster.

One thing I do find awkward in this is switching between grenade types. Left on the d-pad to bring up your grenades, then right on the d-pad to cycle through them. It feels over fiddly, especially in the midst of combat when you might want to change types quickly.

Ah, ok, I played a load of Halo 2 but don't remember the New Mombassa map having a door like that in the middle and 2 obvious streets on either side. Certainly, I've played much more Halo 2 than CS but immediately thought of CS over Halo 2. I'm having trouble googling a video/images of the New Mombassa MP map from Halo 2.

EDIT: You mean district? No comparison IMO, Bazaar is much more like Dust in terms of how it plays, in my opinion.

13 minutes ago, BeeJay said:

Ah, ok, I played a load of Halo 2 but don't remember the New Mombassa map having a door like that in the middle and 2 obvious streets on either side. Certainly, I've played much more Halo 2 than CS but immediately thought of CS over Halo 2. I'm having trouble googling a video/images of the New Mombassa MP map from Halo 2.

Ah, maybe the map layout is more CS then, but I was thinking more of the first area you enter in New Mombasa. There’s a huge door where two Hunters come through, so it really reminded me of that.

050A7F72-30AE-4AA8-968B-E4C29896F3FA.jpeg

B980722A-A866-49E8-A043-161766E3FB09.jpeg

7 minutes ago, JPL said:

Ah, maybe the map layout is more CS then, but I was thinking more of the first area you enter in New Mombasa. There’s a huge door where two Hunters come through, so it really reminded me of that.

050A7F72-30AE-4AA8-968B-E4C29896F3FA.jpeg

B980722A-A866-49E8-A043-161766E3FB09.jpeg

Setting wise, yes, Bazaar is very similar to that but the actually MP map based there is very different.