Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

I don't see where these comments about it being better than previous games are coming from. The mission where you fight nothing but Sentinels, the most boring enemy, in the same corridors for an hour and half has to be the worst mission out of the whole Halo franchise, right? What's worse? At least Cortana in H3 had a unique environment and more enemy variety. At least the Library had some sense of scale to it. And most of the other missions aren't much better - where would you rate the Conservatory against missions from the old games? The Foundation? The Spire? It's all proper bottom tier.

The open world is fun until the fatigue at the lack of enemy and world variety sets in I guess, when they said it was going to be the second mission of Halo applied to the whole game I didn't think they meant it literally.

The reason I'm enjoying it so much is that those missions have taken up about 15% of my playtime, tops. The missions based in the open world, plus the freeform base assaults, marine rescues etc, as well as generally exploring by land and air, are where the fun is for me. Those bits are better the previous Halo games just because of the new levels of freedom and agency.

16 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

I don't see where these comments about it being better than previous games are coming from. The mission where you fight nothing but Sentinels, the most boring enemy, in the same corridors for an hour and half has to be the worst mission out of the whole Halo franchise, right? What's worse? At least Cortana in H3 had a unique environment and more enemy variety. At least the Library had some sense of scale to it. And most of the other missions aren't much better - where would you rate the Conservatory against missions from the old games? The Foundation? The Spire? It's all proper bottom tier.

The open world is fun until the fatigue at the lack of enemy and world variety sets in I guess, when they said it was going to be the second mission of Halo applied to the whole game I didn't think they meant it literally.

You’ve said this twice now, but you’ve literally made it up. There’s no mission in the game where you fight nothing but sentinels for 90 minutes. The level you’re talking about is nowhere near that long and has a single room (the gondola section) where you fight sentinels on their own. It’s barely 5 minutes long. The rest of the time you’re fighting a mix of Sentinels and Banished as usual. 

I dunno, I swear there's a lot more than that! I'm sure there are rooms before the gondola, there there is a long walkway with corridors and rooms at the side and plenty of connecting bits, plus a big boss sentinel at the end. They are a very boring enemy, only made bearable by the drop shield. The sentinel bits in Halo 2 were worse.

Bring back The Flood, I say. How hard can it be to make space zombies fun to fight, given how many other shooters are based solely around zombie-type enemies? Make them fly apart in a satisfying fashion, disable them via dismemberment etc. I don't know how Bungie never managed to make them a decent enemy.

1 hour ago, CarloOos said:

You’ve said this twice now, but you’ve literally made it up. There’s no mission in the game where you fight nothing but sentinels for 90 minutes. The level you’re talking about is nowhere near that long and has a single room (the gondola section) where you fight sentinels on their own. The rest of the time you’re fighting a mix of the banished as usual. 

There's definitely one level that goes on forever and has lots of Sentinels - rooms where you go in side rooms to get seeds and sentinels come out, elevators with story holograms with sentinels, activating something and climbing up and fighting sentinels, crossing a big room with bridges and sentinels, the bits where the big hexagons are going through the room and there's sentinels. The copy+paste big sentinel boss at the end. The gondola is in there, but it's also used earlier in a mission with the two big chaingun guys, it's turned sideways and used as a lift.

Maybe I'm mixing up literally the same corridors from different missions in my memory because there're reused so often, but I went through the campaign twice and remember Sentinels really only appear in that one mission and then in only one room in the final mission (and you can't kill the latter because it'll lock you out of a skull). They also appear in the open world after you complete the Spire, but they don't appear as enemies in the Spire because they're not hostile to you until you do the boss at the end, so the Nexus is the first and only mission they can appear in.

1 hour ago, Pob said:

The sentinel bits in Halo 2 were worse.

I did consider the first Sentinel missions in Halo 2, but at least that's the briefest mission in the game (like can be done in less than five minutes, even on Legendary), and has more variety with you fighting the Flood as well, with some three way fights, and there's little setpieces going on around you with you seeing human soldiers also pushing through the same space and getting infected, your Covenant allies providing fire support, etc. Halo Infinite has nothing like that in any level.

I really struggled with the gondola bit at first but if you tap the sentinel beam like a pistol it zaps them in two bursts. And to be fair, those weird baby things are so close to sentinels that I’m not sure why they were introduced. They’re just sentinels with guns. Hope that’s not a taste of whatever they had planned for ‘The Endless’.

4 minutes ago, Benny said:

Every time I fought a group of Sentinels I had to keep a defibrillator nearby just to keep myself conscious.

How do you select that? Dragon Punch + A?

11 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

I really struggled with the gondola bit at first but if you tap the sentinel beam like a pistol it zaps them in two bursts. And to be fair, those weird baby things are so close to sentinels that I’m not sure why they were introduced. They’re just sentinels with guns. Hope that’s not a taste of whatever they had planned for ‘The Endless’.

I think they are as they look like smaller versions of Harbinger and she mostly uses 'we' a bunch when talking about the Endless (and 'they' a couple of times). It wouldn't make much sense to introduce a new mysterious alien race and then have another new mysterous race... but then this is narrative craftsmiths at 343 we're talking about.

Their introduction is pretty funny, you have nu-Cortana going on in mystery-box terms about the Halo hiding sinister stuff and something worse than the Flood, then a bunch of comedy flying monkeys appear and you waste them with shot each, your average Grunt is more threatening. So you're left on that podium thing surrounded by their dead bodies going

spacer.png

There are loads of great missions. The Road, House of Reckoning, the Auditorium, the AA gun sequence, the bit with the beacons. Some of the open world bits are effectively missions in themselves, like the Banished stronghold where they’re loading Forerunner artefacts onto a spaceship, that you have to access through a canyon. That one in particular is great, as you can drop in by air if you want a real fight, or you can do the groundwork to open up the road into it, if you want to bring a squad of marines to help you. 

Just the above sequences alone mean Infinite is way ahead of Halo 5. 

I don't think the Auditorium is a good mission, it's just the same corridors as every other mission, except with a load more shit Cortana holo-flashbacks than every previous mission. A bunch of the rooms are empty but still filled with guns, as if they removed encounters in them, just lots of running through empty environments for 15 seconds at a time. There's that shit bit where they lock you in a room with no cover with the powered up Hunters, and if you shoot them from outside the door they just teleport you inside the room so they can lock the door, rough edges everywhere.

The one unique room in the whole level is the final bossfight, which can do one, and then the narrative wet fart of an ending.

It's easily the worst last mission in any Halo game, which one is better?

I like the open world stuff better than the main missions but it’s still nowhere near the Bungie Halos in terms of encounter design.

Standard Brutes and even worse, Elites, have been completely nerfed - the only Elites in the game that are any kind of threats are the ones with cloaks and loads of extra health. The perfect dance of the Bungie Halos, where on higher difficulties a single standard Elite was a dangerous opponent because it fundamentally had the same abilities as the player, has gone. The grapple absolutely kills it.

I’m playing on Heroic and my most common cause of death is a sniper shot from miles offscreen. That’s just frustrating.

In fact, there’s just no intensity to the open world bits. I saw people bigging up the AA gun and Sequence sections and yeah they’re a bit of fun but they’re also completely sedate. There is nothing in here to compare with the absolutely berserk intensity of the later Halo CE levels where you’re fighting the Flood and Covenant (who are fighting each other!) at the same time and have to switch up your combat approach on an encounter by encounter basis.

And to that point - why is there virtually no rival faction interplay in any of 343’s games? I think Prometheans vs Covenant happens in one early level of Halo 4 and then they become allies, which was really disappointing at the time.

Since then, nothing - and that’s surely not a technical issue, it just seems like that’s a gameplay scenario 343 just aren’t interested in, and which we will continue not to see in their games. Which feeds into my underlying belief that they’re fundamentally not a very ambitious or exciting developer when you get down to it.

15 minutes ago, Flanders said:

Standard Brutes and even worse, Elites, have been completely nerfed  (...)

In fact, there’s just no intensity to the open world bits. (...) There is nothing in here to compare with the absolutely berserk intensity of the later Halo CE levels where you’re fighting the Flood and Covenant (who are fighting each other!) at the same time and have to switch up your combat approach on an encounter by encounter basis.

Unfortunately I have to agree. And the more I play the more apparent this gets. Which is why I mainly stick to "story" missions (which also suffer from enemy problems, i.e. variety). I can see what 343 was trying to do here: export some of the intensity into boss fights. The problem of course is these boss battles are quite lukewarm most of the time and provide nowhere near the intensity of previous set pieces and encounters.

I REALLY, REALLY don't understand why enemy design wasn't a bigger issue in game development. It's so important. Sure, it is nice to be able to approach encounters in different ways. In the end though these encounters are with ever the same types of enemies and it gets old quite fast.

33 minutes ago, Flanders said:

Standard Brutes and even worse, Elites, have been completely nerfed - the only Elites in the game that are any kind of threats are the ones with cloaks and loads of extra health. The perfect dance of the Bungie Halos, where on higher difficulties a single standard Elite was a dangerous opponent because it fundamentally had the same abilities as the player, has gone. The grapple absolutely kills it.

I adore the purity of CE but the Halo dance hasn’t been like this since Halo 2, where dual wielding allowed you to rush Elites by out-gunning them and the addition of the battle rifle changed the focus of combat from a close range battle of attrition to popping headshots from a distance. After that there’s no Elites at all until Reach, at which point they’d already started adding super powered ones that can shrug off sticky grenades and rocket launcher hits. If anything the power of the player has been brought back in-line with the strength of the enemies. 

I wouldn’t be averse to an ODST-style scenario with a nerfed character though. Re-use the map, set it during the missing six months or something. 

Yeah, the new equipment accompanied by powerful standard weapons definitely tips the balance in favour of the player. The Elites in Infinite are like CE Elites, geared up for fighting a sloth-like Chief who's only got a needler clip and 3 pistol rounds left. It's be cool of some of the Elite flavours in Infinite had their own grapple or drop-shields.

5 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

I adore the purity of CE but the Halo dance hasn’t been like this since Halo 2, where dual wielding allowed you to rush Elites and the addition of the battle rifle changed the focus of combat from a close range battle of attrition to popping headshots from a distance. After that there’s no Elites at all until Reach, at which point they’d already started adding super powered ones that can shrug off sticky grenades and rocket launcher hits. If anything the power of the player has been brought back in-line with the strength of the enemies. 

I wouldn’t be averse to an ODST-style scenario with a slightly nerfed character though. 

That distance combat-battle rifle problem is even more pronounced in Infinite though - the BR is ludicrously overpowered. Even for boss fights - the area you fight the robot boss in the Spire has loads of power weapons scattered around that I thought I was meant to use, but it soon became clear that the BR was miles more effective.

I know the counterpoint would be that I should make my own fun and get stuck in instead of just sticking to long range sniping but I feel the game actively discourages this because of the snipers dotted around and because loads of the close combat weapons are weedy - energy swords are nerfed, the Ravager is wank and they massacred my boy the needler, which is categorically crap in this game.

BitterToad, I understand your enthusiasm for the Halo series. However, as a relatively neutral Halo player (loved 1 and 2 and only briefly played Reach and MCC) I look at Excavation Site and see bland tunnels after tunnels with ever the same enemies and the same level design and it really is boring. And then I return to the open world which itself feels totally bland and I can only come to the conclusion that, no, this isn't awesome. If it weren't for the gunplay (and maybe the brand) this would score mid-70s ratings. (Edit: talking about the campaign)

3 hours ago, Harsin said:

You mainly notice when someone starts firing at you, you duck round a corner, go phew managed ro get away, and then a few moments later abruptly drop dead.

Yeah, I’ve only noticed that a handful of times. Of course I might be the guy on the other end of the shooting though 👀

The more I think about it, the more I think 343 are the Zack Snyder of the gaming world.

Handed the keys to one of the biggest franchises in their respective media, given hundreds of millions of dollars to develop films/games and the results are average to poor.  Many hardcore fans hate the results but just enough sales ensure that they keep hold of the franchise. The bigwigs love then as they are a safe pair of hands for the franchise to be in.

53 minutes ago, alex3d said:

If it weren't for the gunplay (and maybe the brand) this would score mid-70s ratings. (Edit: talking about the campaign)

Probably right, but you could easily say that about any good game that it'll be worse if you take away the good bits. 

I can see 343 in a real bind now. They've created a great combat loop on what is reported to be a very challenging and frustrating toolset. How long do they keep plugging away with this engine rather than move to another, Unreal 5 say, at which point they could lose the feel of the game?

Would love to know the inside story of this game. 

1 hour ago, BitterToad said:

I think they'd be pretty happy with the "hanging onto a combat loop from a 20 year game" criticism because I think that's actually the biggest compliment you could give the game.

Maintaining the combat loop isn’t a criticism, it’s an absolute necessity. My criticism is that it’s the only thing Infinite has going for it, and I can go play any of the other Halo games to get that particular fix.

On 02/01/2022 at 21:27, Flanders said:

Have you read any of the details on the high value targets? Genocide seems a daily occurrence in the Halo universe. ‘Bruticus Bruteson sunk a human colony and killed 700,000 civilians’.

Life in Halo seems more grim than fucking Warhammer 40K but despite this all the marines are gurning quipsters.

😂

Finished the campaign a week or so ago and agree with most of the positive reviews here. I finished it on Normal and I’ve never played any other Halo game beyond the original CE.

I was complaining a bit about the bosses before but actually apart from the early Hammer boss, I think I mostly enjoyed them all - none are too taxing on Normal. I completed the final boss fight after about 3-4 attempts (I’d purposely kept a fully charged gravity hammer from a few rooms back and there are plenty of cindershots available in that room to clear everything else).

I agree with K and others about the plot and exposition: it’s utter and total bobbins and I had 0 investment in anything going on from a narrative perspective.

The narrative in this thread about how boring the last 3rd of the game is is definitely overblown.

The sentinels section with the power seeds and then the gondola is definitely the most boring. One shot from the Heatwave in vertical alignment will take out a sentinel though so I did it that way instead of with the beam.

But after that the internal spaces are generally good and fun, The Road is excellent and the final combat ‘arenas’ and the sword boss and the last couple of bosses were all fun and not too difficult (on Normal, anyway).

I probably agree that the regular and even heavily armoured Brutes and Elites are maybe a bit easy by the end on Normal. I’d been playing a fair amount of multi-player too and so by the end I could just barrel in to any sized group of enemies and pretty much take them all out.

As I’ve said before, this absolutely fails to hit that game-changing, best of all time level of the likes of RDR2 (and BOTW for others (but not me 😅)), but it’s right up there with the most fun single player gaming experiences I’ve had recently and despite absolutely tons of missed potential… I still can’t complain too much.

Don’t let the naysaying in this thread put you off at least finishing the campaign - the final 25% I actually thought was plenty fun.

I'd be very interested to see a breakdown of people who played this after being fans of the franchise for a long time and those who just dip in for each games campaign and then peace out. 

Just from reading some comments here and elsewhere, it seems very much that people who are long time fans just find it incredibly inferior whereas people who just check out the campaigns etc find it the best things since sliced bread.