IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

30 minutes ago, spanx said:

So yeah as expected….

Hide contents

Sword boss after the two BRILLIANT fights is impossible. Tried about eight times and he’s killed me in seconds every time. Fucking boss fights

I quite enjoyed that one, my favourite of the bosses at least. Classic elite cat-and-mouse chase.

Spoiler

If you're fully upgraded you should be able to take a sword hit before dying. Equip boost so you can make a last-minute escape when he comes at you.

If you don't have a spare rocket launcher, the best weapon to use against all the shielded bosses is the plasma carbine, it cuts through them. Jump downstairs and shoot the plasma containers when he's near them. 

23 minutes ago, spanx said:

So yeah as expected….

Hide contents

Sword boss after the two BRILLIANT fights is impossible. Tried about eight times and he’s killed me in seconds every time. Fucking boss fights

Try this:

Spoiler

38 minutes ago, spanx said:

So yeah as expected….

Hide contents

Do you mean the guy with the hammer? If so, use your thrusters and he’s much, much easier. Just kite him around the central column in his first phase.

There’s plenty of firepower around the room.

EDIT: You mean the guy before. Soz. I just mangled him with..erm…the mangler. Make sure you put a sensor down to keep track of him!

I also found this worked:

Spoiler

Jumping on one of the big boxes that were flush to the wall. He can't jump up to you and most of his swings will just miss you. Fight bullshit with bullshit.

Regarding the brightness levels at dusk, the game uses different lighting settings when you're inside a building and I noticed that when you stand in a doorway you can occasionally see the landscape with that same darker, cleaner look, which I actually found preferable. You can see some (heavily compressed) examples below as I moved between them.

The initial shots are all taken from doorways, and the second shots are after I've moved a few feet outside and the dusk lighting has kicked in.

Spoiler

image2.thumb.jpg.32e0e7f14bc0eff8cda0ef1b7651431a.jpg

image3.thumb.jpg.efd57e325bb466c66582e1c84509b425.jpg

image5.thumb.jpg.4509dca95aa2962edc7b523a4d244d9e.jpgimage4.thumb.jpg.cf4125ebc7485025f35f3dff9b2560a4.jpgimage0.thumb.jpg.8c67a066b80719cf24b3e9d50f133f01.jpgimage1.thumb.jpg.4aa1c01db11a494eff264d5a1c6c6fbe.jpg

I appreciate that they've probably prioritised readability above all else, but I found it interesting to see the world with some actual darkness punctuated by pockets of light, rather than the flat day-for-night-ish look they have currently. I expect we'll see a mod for the PC version which mimics this look before long.

I’m not very far into this, the second mission I think (where you fight Elites for the first time) and it looks stunning! Reminds me of the Citadel in Half-Life 2, but it’s all shiny and blue!

19 hours ago, Minion said:

Fuck the bosses in this, such a turn off. Was doing the excavation mission and had to turn off as it was so fucking annoying trying to kill the bullet sponge hammer dude. Those 'weapon' cut scenes too, so lame, the devs making this must have known how shit and cheesy those bits were.

Yep. Actual gameplay is freaking ace. Bosses, open world, map screen quite underwhelming and/or annoying.

I’ve just completed this now. The final boss rush wasn’t anywhere as bad as I’d feared; I can’t say I enjoyed the second one all that much, but it wasn’t the worst boss fight I’ve ever done. Three bosses over the course of an hour wasn’t too onerous - they were tricky, but hardly Sekiro in terms of difficulty. The final one was actually quite enjoyable, as it seemed to get that fighting an overpowered enemy in a small area isn’t that much fun, and that Halo’s end sequences work best as mini-firefight sections. 

Spoiler

I have to confess that during the Escharum fight, when the Weapon said “his shield transfers all the damage you inflict onto Echo 216!”, I thought “finally, some good news”. 

Narratively, it was pretty unsatisfying:

Spoiler

Who did the Harbinger turn out to be again? What was her plan? Why were the Banished helping her? Why were the sentinels helping the Banished? What were the secrets of this Halo? Why did the screeching pilot ask the Weapon what her new name was, and then not follow up when she said she’d chosen the perfect one?

Nothing is really explained. But the actual gameplay was stellar; after a rather cautious start, I loved it. You could write thousands of words on all the problems with the game: the weapon balance is off (it’s stuffed with guns that are universally effective, so you don’t have to worry about taking down shields or using weapons in a situational way, you can just obliterate everything with a shock rifle or a heatwave), it’s visually very repetitive (the Banished levels in particular are just generic grey metal with red highlights, with little indication of any practical function for each area, and the Forerunner levels are almost entirely the same set of corridors - at least you occasionally went outside on Assault on the Control Room) and there are almost no characters. The story is almost entirely told through giant holograms monologuing at you, which is at least an inventive way of disguising the fact that they didn’t have much in the way of time to make traditional cutscenes, but gets tiresome after a bit. 

But man, that open world, and those gadgets. The grappling hook doesn’t feel very Master Chief - I would probably preferred it if you played a new character, maybe some kind of next-gen Spartan with all these new abilities - but it’s super fun to use. Once you get the button combos down, it’s very satisfying to ping off a threat sensor, lay down a drop shield to shoot people through, and then finish off the last straggler with a grapple smash. Now that the template is in place, I really hope 343 can build on this, because they’ve really got the basics down. Brilliant stuff; I’m not hugely looking forward to doing the bosses again, but there several levels I’d love to run through again once the option becomes available. 

24 minutes ago, K said:

Now that the template is in place, I really hope 343 can build on this, because they’ve really got the basics down. 

The team are currently on holiday but NEVER FEAR when they return, they will address all issues. 

Lol. 

1 hour ago, K said:

Now that the template is in place, I really hope 343 can build on this, because they’ve really got the basics down. Brilliant stuff; I’m not hugely looking forward to doing the bosses again, but there several levels I’d love to run through again once the option becomes available. 

This blows my mind, honestly. Six years, 750 people, and all they achieved was stuffing Bungie's 20 year old combat in a sparse, pointless open world but congratulations on really getting the basics down, 343! The bits that you did come up with yourselves, the bosses, fucking sucked, but grats on the rest of it! Actually looking forward to a level select in a Halo  because they were too hopelessly incompetent to include it in the version of the game that launched. Jesus wept.

34 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

This blows my mind, honestly. Six years, 750 people, and all they achieved was stuffing Bungie's 20 year old combat in a sparse, pointless open world but congratulations on really getting the basics down, 343! The bits that you did come up with yourselves, the bosses, fucking sucked, but grats on the rest of it! Actually looking forward to a level select in a Halo  because they were too hopelessly incompetent to include it in the version of the game that launched. Jesus wept.

Although I personally liked 4 the combat wasn't really Halo and 5 was terrible so actually managing to resurrect Bungie's magic 30 seconds of fun combat formula in an open world environment is actually quite a big deal.

Personally I think the game is sold significantly short by  that description anyway but you have made your views clear and that's fair enough.  But perhaps lets be a little less disparaging over the ability to capture the lightning in a bottle which is the Halo combat dance

29 minutes ago, Strafe said:

@K No! 

I dunno. I would have quite liked to have used the armour pieces and cosmetic stuff you unlock in the campaign, in the campaign. You could use your custom Spartan, like in Halo Reach. But I get why they went for a back to basics approach after the rubbish new characters they had in Halo 5. 

Eugh, completely stuck on the last boss. The two before it were really fine compared to the earlier ones, but…

Spoiler

…the waves of super-tough, super-accurate enemies that spawn on the third go round are killing me every time. In between trying to swat the annoying fliers, apply concerted firepower on the Elites and avoid sniper fire I’m also expected to run away, Benny Hill-style, from the mega-Brute who does a 10 metre lung that locks your shields out in one go. 

Getting very frustrated, and it’s not even the boss itself that’s the problem. 

The lead up to it - the road and the house of fun - were actually great. 

17 minutes ago, Popo said:

Eugh, completely stuck on the last boss. The two before it were really fine compared to the earlier ones, but…

Reveal hidden contents

…the waves of super-tough, super-accurate enemies that spawn on the third go round are killing me every time. In between trying to swat the annoying fliers, apply concerted firepower on the Elites and avoid sniper fire I’m also expected to run away, Benny Hill-style, from the mega-Brute who does a 10 metre lung that locks your shields out in one go. 

Getting very frustrated, and it’s not even the boss itself that’s the problem. 

The lead up to it - the road and the house of fun - were actually great. 

That bit is tough. I did baddies first (flying ones as soon as they appeared), then grapple-dashed around the arena and picked off the hammer guy as he chased me. As soon as he got anywhere near close I’d just hop around to the other side. Shock Rifle & Plasma Carbine were my combo for that fight.

1 hour ago, K said:

Well, I was mainly saying that 343 had made a good game that I really enjoyed, which is surprisingly difficult and relatively rare, but don’t let that stop you kicking off because someone else enjoyed a game you didn’t. 

I am enjoying this more than most fps I’ve played in the last 5-6 years. The combat is amazing. If it was that easy to bottle and recreate everyone would be doing it. So many fun systems to play with and approaches to take. It’s funny as hell. You can tell a lot of love went into it.

it’s also across a rediculous spread of machines, do not underestimate how much money got sunk into that shit on the optimisation side.

blame the Xbox one sure but don’t blame 343.

and for gods sake don’t hate on people who love it for what it is ! It’s an amazing achievement.

It’s a 7/10 campaign with a 10/10 combat loop, but being glib about that combat does it a massive disservice. It’s not just a recreation of CE nor of 3/ODST/Reach, it’s much faster and more aggressive. The only other single player FPS doing anything half as good as this mechanically is Doom Eternal, and that’s a very different beast.  

It’s clearly rushed and I wish it had a few grander set-piece moments, but ultimately Halo 5 was a much nicer looking game made up almost entirely of those grand set-piece moments and it still fucking sucked, because that loop was no good. They’ve focused on what actually matters this time, which is why people keep saying it’s a good base to build on. 

It’s the polar opposite of something like Far Cry 5 which, for all its polish and content, I barely played for five hours.

For anyone struggling with the bosses (or just powered up hunters and brutes) - use the skewer! The skewer is a beast and there's always a couple knocking around the boss arenas.

2 hours ago, sid said:

and for gods sake don’t hate on people who love it for what it is ! It’s an amazing achievement.

I don’t think anyone is hating on people who love it for what it is, merely stating an opinion.

Its obvious looking back on this thread since launch that there are a few of us that have been genuinely surprised at the positive reaction that Infinite has received, but we’re very much in the minority. What’s wrong with some balanced opinion?

As for it being an amazing achievement, I would bet that a lot of people working at 343 would be smiling through gritted teeth at such a compliment. The campaign is a half-baked, compromised product that’s hanging on for dear life to a combat loop from a 20 year old game.

But I tell you what, that multiplayer goes a long way to redeem it!

I’m taking it slow and just doing the open world stuff.  I love making a murder car full of marines with power weapons (3 sentinel beams melt anything they target and focus fire on, then a rocket launcher and that Brute mortar thing for enemies in cover) and just seeing how far we can get before everybody dies.  You get quite attached to the Marines when you’ve been through some shit together. 

7 hours ago, sid said:

blame the Xbox one sure but don’t blame 343.

What? Why are they blameless? 

They were given the keys to the kingdom on this, as much time as they needed, ridiculous funding and (imo) still fucked it up. The list of features the game is currently missing is staggering, and yet they still have a real money shop up and running no problem. 

- No Campaign co-op

- No Level Select

- No Forge

- No cross-core customization

- Ridiculous shop prices

- D-sync every other match

- No collision

- Barely any maps or playlists

- BTB is still broken

- Skill based matchmaking is broken

- Et cetera

Don't get me wrong, you're entitled to enjoy the game or equally to dislike it as a customer but even if you love it, surely you can't argue that this launched as a fully functioning product. I understand a lot of love went into it but on the flip side, they don't get a free pass for that with the issues above. 

8 hours ago, Mystacon said:

I don’t think anyone is hating on people who love it for what it is, merely stating an opinion.

Its obvious looking back on this thread since launch that there are a few of us that have been genuinely surprised at the positive reaction that Infinite has received, but we’re very much in the minority. What’s wrong with some balanced opinion?

As for it being an amazing achievement, I would bet that a lot of people working at 343 would be smiling through gritted teeth at such a compliment. The campaign is a half-baked, compromised product that’s hanging on for dear life to a combat loop from a 20 year old game.

But I tell you what, that multiplayer goes a long way to redeem it!

One man’s hanging in to a 20 yr old combat loop is another’s idea of recreating perfection I guess.

Note also that other devs just bash out the multiplayer and call it a day…..

im not saying it couldn’t have been a better story , I’m just saying they were clearly battling with other priorities, cross gen being one. I hope they will drop that constraint for the next game. They should in theory be able to put it out much quicker as well now that the engine is done.

So I got up to the final boss and I was all ready to finish up a few days back and... Quick Resume failed on me. And the last time I saved properly was... the start of the 3 beacons mission 😐

So back I went. I was dreading it as obviously this point is just after the game highlight of the AA guns mission. But it's still been fun. Second time around I tried different approaches, the beacons mission has been epic!

Finished the campaign last night.

It was good up to a point. The core combat loop still feels really good and the need to think on the fly to tackle different groups of enemies is a strength.

Story though? Erm, what?! 

Spoiler

It does that horribly annoying big franchise thing of having an "ending that isn't an ending". The whole "well, we've done that, now what?" felt forced and the happy chuckles at the end where The Weapon is told she can choose her name (Copy-tana? Cor-two-na?) was cringy.

And the pilot?! Fuuuuuuuuck he was annoying! Whinge, whinge, whinge, oh okay, I'll bring you a vehicle!!

And then the post credits scene. Oh, look: the big dead baddie isn't dead. Are you telling me that, with all of The Weapon's technical abilities that she couldn't detect any radio chatter or noise that he was still alive?

And now, after The Covenant, The Flood, The Forerunners and The Banished they're now going to introduce another set of enemies called The Endless? 

So strong gunplay, exciting shootouts, tight controls, slightly bland open world (would have liked more biomes to mix it up a bit), awful writing, lousy story.

I'm off to collect the last few Spartan Cores. 😄

A surprisingly solid 8 / 10.

Going by the fact that this project has has 3(?) Creative Directors on it, I would say there's been some absolutely reactive "pivoting" during the development of the game. 

So Halo 5 came out in 2015? I'd be sure that even at that point Halo 6 was in full pre-production. Story, rough campaign flow and concept art all already done. 

Then everyone hates Halo 5 (as that game still bares the scars of the TVTVTV/Xbox Entertainment Studios initiative to syphon off parts of the story to a TV show with Locke established in "Nightfall"... I think?) and MGS probably getting a shake up that it deserves, Halo 6 was probably outright cancelled a good ways into development. 

I'd imagine that there was first a bit of an R&D period before coming up with the idea for Infinite, and the first trailer was summer 2018? I bet they'd barely started development on it. That's some of the stuff you won't see or be aware of. The false starts or the periods of development where nothing moves forwards. 

I think there will be lots of dissection of what went 'wrong' with Infinite (and I say this as someone who loved it and it still enjoying the multiplayer). I think a lot of it is going to be problems with playtesting. Bungie built and defined a lot of what user research for games looked like in developing the Halo games (Jon Hopson specifically); I have no idea what 343's internal processes looked like, but a lot of the problems in Infinite feel like the game didn't get in front of players until too late. The simple (and yet somehow very confusing) story; the surprise at players wanting level select; the tricky-to-read icons on the tactical map; the colour coding on weapon variants.

The campaign contrasts so sharply with the multiplayer which, for all the issues with game types and FTP stuff, is very on-point when you get into the game. But even there, it feels like the menus haven't actually benefitted from the devs watching players use them. Someone raised a point a while back: when you unlock something, where is it??  How do I equip it? This is the kind of thing that games user research is great at exposing.

They certainly wouldn't be the only ones who've struggled with this due to covid: in-person testing labs are still problematic. But for what they were trying to do with Infinite and the secrecy required: I think it might have hit them very hard.