IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

The most disappointing part is how little reward there is for exploring and doing the FOBs/squads. The Halo games have such a fantastic lore and history so they could have easily done loads of terminals to find. Something to give you reason to wander instead it just feels so half hearted and gets abandoned anyway in the final parts. 

343 really aren't Bungie. There's no mystery or sense of discovery in the entire game.

Remember the helmet cam from the first game where the flood is discovered? There's so many dead Spartans and core laying about with no explanation, no take of woe or reason for why they died. Why not expand the world with more characters? All these humans but only echo actually addresses the Chief. Wheres command? Why are all the soldiers just acting like lemmings? A Captain or Sarge would do the trick but there's nothing else here beyond the main story. 

I mean a whole extra year in development and this is it?

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

343 really aren't Bungie. There's no mystery or sense of discovery in the entire game.

To be fair to 343, Bungie never managed to re-create that feeling either. At a push some might say the open-world bits of ODST, but they fell flat for me. Halo 4 came closer to that feeling than any of the Bungie sequels.

And the gameplay in this is the best there's ever been, so I'm willing to take a small hit on the always underwhelming story - it's a fine tradeoff for me

I do think it could have been a little more ambitious in what the open world offers (some sort of UNMC organization from a submenu could have been cool - sending out patrols to weaken an area or upgrading their gear, just some neat little metagame based on your progress and performance that you could engage with or ignore as the fancy took you) but what's there plays exceptionally well aside from some of the bosses - on legendary they're kind of a pisstake in how quickly you can get splattered, and Chief isn't exactly Doomguy when it comes to mobility

Anyway, regarding my exploded scorpion turret story from yesterday - after resuming my session and it putting me back at the start of the mission on Legendary (ouch), I found there's actually a second scorpion in the area I left my original one, and since I'd rained hell down on the place beforehand it's likely that I smashed it up into a blackened husk, didn't notice it during the chaos and then entered that one by accident after opening up the gate

8 hours ago, Thor said:

Cheers, I dropped it to easy in the end. I thought on normal I'd still have a relatively easy time of it, but the Master Chief appears to be made out of papier mache.

Were you using the threat sensor? I had all my gear maxed out before starting the endgame and found that the sensor made that fight very straightforward. 

3 minutes ago, bear said:

Were you using the threat sensor? I had all my gear maxed out before starting the endgame and found that the sensor made that fight very straightforward. 

Yes, but I don't think it was upgraded at all, I was still getting ganked from off screen. Doesn't matter now anyway as I dropped it to easy.

#6years

Agreed about the ending though. Planning to drop DLC story areas in the future is not good enough, just give me a damn end point, the story is weak enough as it is. 

They did the whole cliffhanger ending at the end of 5 already and then immediately retconned most of it in this game. 

This is such a bizarre hodge podge the more I play it. I keep waiting for the main game to kick in but I think I’m more than half way through it - am on the Sequence beacons now. Everything is just so weirdly low key and strangely paced, I feel like nothing important has happened.

By this point in Halo CE you had the iconic flood reveal. In Reach you’d flown all the way into space to a Covenant cruiser and blown it up, only to get the brilliant gut punch of the entire Covenant fleet jumping in immediately afterwards. Halo 2, despite its flaws, packs in some huge scale adventuring into its first half. I feel like everything storywise I’ve done in Infinite so far would have been packed into one level in other games.

I don’t want to be one of those people who dogs a thread for a game that so many are enjoying but I am honestly finding it to be such a fascinating folly and there’s so much to unpick. There’s so many big and little things that are wrong with it on so many levels, but the core gameplay is enough to get you through it whereas usually I would just give up on a game with so many flaws.

It reminds me very much of Cyberpunk in that way, except swap out ‘core gameplay’ for ‘amazing world design’. 

3 minutes ago, Pob said:

That's cool - I cant work out why the title of the video is 'Halo Infinite is Officially Broken' though.

I think he means it as a positive, that there are lots of unplanned possibilities players can work with via the idiosyncrasies of the physics and mechanics of the game build. 

32 minutes ago, Pob said:

That's cool - I cant work out why the title of the video is 'Halo Infinite is Officially Broken' though.

It is quite click-baity, but it is a cool little daft exploit. 

Im very surprised it wasn’t picked up in testing, although in saying that, it probably was found just not fixed because how do you fix? Start making certain bits of terrain grapple-proof? Or turn off Pelican collision? 

It does make me think that the grapple was a late addition to spice up the whole game, as I bet before it was feeling somewhat pedestrian and they just needed something to make the game feel distinguished. A good call imo. 

1 hour ago, Pob said:

I mean it comes off as the game being unfinished rather than an intentional feature. All the dropships have been AI-piloted vehicles since Halo 1, but they were able to prevent you piloting them in those games.

All of the previous Halo games have been full of these kinds of exploits, like getting the banshee on Assault on the Control Room, getting the tank out of bounds on Delta Halo, using the Pelican gun on Halo Reach, driving a Warthog into the Silent Cartographer, super bouncing in Halo 2, etc. I mean, look how many there are here: https://www.halopedia.org/Glitches

The video above just looks like more of the same thing, ie a game with a robust physics system being tested to destruction by the player base. The engine in Infinite seems less robust, but there’s loads of fun stuff you can do with the pelicans, grapple, boosters, etc. 

Being able to concussion jump up to the MAC cannon on the last Reach level was always a fun one. It's even usable from that point so you should blow all the dropships out of the sky, completely making the final fight irrelevant. 

Oh and using the jetpack in Halo 4 and Reach to get outside the map and skip most of the levels where the jetpack is a thing. 

It wasn’t a glitch as such, but does anyone remember pillar battles in Halo CE? You could peg it through a level (a snowy one, I forget its name) and all of the covenant you pass would follow you. You’d end up with a huge battle against tens of them - not something the game had in mind. It was wicked fun. 

The audio logs aren’t going to win any Oscars, like audio logs in every game ever but I like hearing the bits of backstory on futuristic iPads that only seem to have about 3mb of memory on them.

I quite like the Banished. Once you look back and realise how stupid the covenant were for believing the prophets nonsense and learn about the Banished being an army seeking bloody revenge for the

Spoiler

destruction of their home world

they make much more sense. But then again I loved the story in the original trilogy, too. It was just 4 and, especially, 5 were things went silly.

9 hours ago, Flanders said:

This is such a bizarre hodge podge the more I play it. I keep waiting for the main game to kick in but I think I’m more than half way through it - am on the Sequence beacons now. Everything is just so weirdly low key and strangely paced, I feel like nothing important has happened.

By this point in Halo CE you had the iconic flood reveal. In Reach you’d flown all the way into space to a Covenant cruiser and blown it up, only to get the brilliant gut punch of the entire Covenant fleet jumping in immediately afterwards. Halo 2, despite its flaws, packs in some huge scale adventuring into its first half. I feel like everything storywise I’ve done in Infinite so far would have been packed into one level in other games.

I don’t want to be one of those people who dogs a thread for a game that so many are enjoying but I am honestly finding it to be such a fascinating folly and there’s so much to unpick. There’s so many big and little things that are wrong with it on so many levels, but the core gameplay is enough to get you through it whereas usually I would just give up on a game with so many flaws.

It reminds me very much of Cyberpunk in that way, except swap out ‘core gameplay’ for ‘amazing world design’. 

It really is fascinating. I've never had so much righteous fun with such an obviously flawed and unfinished game. But the core gameplay being rock solid is what beguiles enough to make it desirable to pick apart.

Just completed it on Legendary, first time through

Getting the Bandanna skull was almost psychotically difficult, Ninja Gaiden 2 on Master Ninja levels of insanity - no idea how you were supposed to even know what the trigger for unlocking the room was either

I don't think they were particularly ambitious this time around, and the writing is saturday morning cartoon levels of badguys posturing and characters talking about hope and shit, but hell - some quibbles aside they really made an amazingly damn good game here

24 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

I don't think they were particularly ambitious this time around

What do you mean by this? I thought their over ambition was ultimately what led to them having to scale it back massively.