IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

1 hour ago, Pob said:

Ideally I want to be able to fly all around, underneath and between the islands in a proper spacecraft, and up to the enormous cruiser above.

Stepping out into the world for the first time I really thought we would be doing exactly that, especially boarding at least one of the ships. Maybe DLC will bring that level of exploration.

There is no doubt that my enjoyment of the campaign is highly influenced by having my expectations kept in check, and knowing ahead of time roughly what's coming (i.e the final third being a bit of a slog through dingy corridors with several bosses). It was a surprise to find out, a few weeks from launch, that the desert and snow biomes shown in the initial teaser would not be in the game. I've massively benefitted by being told that 'The Sequence' is the last mission you do in the outdoors before being funnelled to the end.

I remember when Halo 3 came out I fully expected an epic final mission on Earth, with all-out war between the humans and the Covenant, because that's what was depicted in that diorama Halo 3 advert. But that scene isn't in the game, it was just created for advertising purposes. In hindsight Halo 3 is amazing but I still remember being gutted that the game ended with that frustrating 'Cortana' level and a set-piece Warthog chase rather than the Earth-based final battle.

32 minutes ago, T Pot said:

Which seems to be ruining the game for those people. So surely it would be better to drop to Heroic and have all parts of the game fun? I can't understand playing a game that is so difficult I'm not enjoying it at all. 

I’ve already done the game on heroic, I want to do it on legendary. The bosses are a bit of a slog, admittedly but otherwise the game is great at that level.

3 minutes ago, Pob said:

I remember when Halo 3 came out I fully expected an epic final mission on Earth, with all-out war between the humans and the Covenant, because that's what was depicted in that diorama Halo 3 advert. But that scene isn't in the game, it was just created for advertising purposes. In hindsight Halo 3 is amazing but I still remember being gutted that the game ended with that frustrating 'Cortana' level and a set-piece Warthog chase rather than the Earth-based final battle.

Same!

I think it benefited from being on Game Pass too (as in, you'd probably be pissed off to have paid £50 for this campaign)

I think it'll be interesting to see how the campaign DLC does, if it ever materialises. They've got a year at least to finish the base game (co-op and forge, etc), I get the feeling next-gen will be in full flow by then, and not many people will really be interested in going back, especially given it seems we're going to be stuck on this ring for a while.

13 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

(as in, you'd probably be pissed off to have paid £50 for this campaign)

I certainly wouldn't have been. I thoroughly enjoyed it and have it as one of my favourite halo games. I also got a lot more play time out of the campaign than something like a COD title which can be done in about 4 hours. 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I appear to be fighting a hunter that doesn't want to charge at me, and I'm therefore finding it impossible to get behind him, therefore impossible to kill him. Is this right? 

I had to kill hunters head-on for the most part, wasting loads of ammunition. You can occasionally get behind them by flinging yourself around with the grapple but they turn around really really quickly, so you’ll be lucky to get one shot in (and you can forget about melee).

I didn't mind the annoying access to shield/grapple/thrusters.
But I can't understand for 1 second how they had the option with that setup to put in thrusters or the repulsor and they chose thrusters.

My go to was basically not to use other things that much, and to always switch back straight away to the grapple.

32 minutes ago, Gommy said:

I didn't mind the annoying access to shield/grapple/thrusters.
But I can't understand for 1 second how they had the option with that setup to put in thrusters or the repulsor and they chose thrusters.

My go to was basically not to use other things that much, and to always switch back straight away to the grapple.

See I used everything apart from the thrusters. Because the thrusters suck. The drop wall and the motion sensors were awesome though. They let you properly plan out a move and defend yourself. I managed to fight a load of hunters by grabbing a ravager, throwing down a drop wall, grappling back onto the ravager and pummelling through the wall. Fun!

I finished this today, the "story" part at least. I've purposely given myself some more map stuff to do because I heard about Lineargeddon at the end. I really really like the game, that ending slog definitely goes on for too long but the two "training rooms" in the second half are the firefight mode we never got from the game. I love Halo rooms like that; here's a shit ton of weaponry and a shit ton of baddies now go have a shit ton of fun! I think if they'd basically removed the entire first half of lineargeddon, everything up to the banished chap, and just had you end on that second half it would have been a really solid ending. As it is you do get a bit tired of trudging through room after room of the same. They also definitely took combat encounters out, which seems slightly mad. There's a room towards the end in which nothing happens but it's full of sniper rifles and Covie sniper rifles. Clearly something was meant to happen in there. 

Anyway, good game overall! 343 have given me at least a glimpse of the Halo I always wanted, and I'll definitely be going back to explore levels again (when that becomes a thing...) and play in coop (see previous brackets). 

Finished the campaign last night. I was playing on normal difficulty so I didn't hit many roadblocks with the exception of the final boss which was just an annoying fight. The story is clearly the weakest part of the whole experience and the last level suffered from having to tie up stuff that was setup in some way in earlier titles. I wonder if they would have been better off just having you play as a different Spartan and base the game entirely around fighting the Banished. The Halo lore is obviously important to some people but its all a bit messy at this point. Its still my GOTY as its clearly the best 2021 release I finished this year. I might be cursing that by the end of January if I end up playing Dread. 

Spoiler

Atriox still being alive isn't much of a twist. I thought he might have shown up as the final boss battle but I was confident most of the way through that he was still knocking about somewhere. It'd be very silly to build up this big bad dude character and then kill him off screen or in a cutscene. 

The Cortana stuff was bobbins. Maybe thats the best they could do after locking themselves in a corner in Halo 5 (didn't play it) but the story went from showing Cortana destroy an entire planet to a supposedly emotional farewell in less than two hours which seemed entirely unearned. Also, holy fucking shit at that nonsense at the end where they heavily imply that Weapon is going to chose the name Cortana. I'd be signing up to join the Banished tomorrow if I heard the Master Chief was running around with a clone of the evil planet destroying AI whose onslaught I barely survived. Sure they might eat me but fuck it, Johnny Boy is going to get me killed eventually. 

The Road mission was great I thought. Definitely the highlight of the end game sequence. 

Oh God yeah I totally forgot that they 

Spoiler

Rey Skywalkered

it with that AI at the end. Cracked up laughing at that. Christ the script was terrible throughout. Not worse than Halo 5 of course, but that had the absolute worst script of anything I can remember ever. 

Quick question - can you destroy a scorpion's cannon by firing it too often? At one point I hopped out of my scorpion to open up a gate after wiping out all the enemies, and when I got back I found that the gun had basically blown off the rest of the tank and I couldn't fire it - not something I noticed when I hopped out, but when I came back it was knackered

19 minutes ago, Thor said:

Am I on the final boss?

Hide contents

I'm fighting Rega after making my way past two training areas.

This boss fight is fucking horrendous.

No but not much further to go after this, just one more boss. Use a dropshield in one of the rooms and use your grap to gain speed into the side corridors. More flying less running is my advice. Keep moving and only cross the rooms when required with pot shots. 

19 minutes ago, Thor said:

Cheers, I dropped it to easy in the end. I thought on normal I'd still have a relatively easy time of it, but the Master Chief appears to be made out of papier mache.

One weapon I discovered to be surprisingly useful was the usually awful Disruptor. Seem to take off more of his health than any other weapon around there. Did get a bit silly, felt like I was playing Ninja Gaiden with the way I was moving 🤣

Speaking of weapons, where the fucking fuck are these:

dbkvu51-87dc04a1-1b4b-4e80-b155-26e22ca3

Whenever I think of the classic Halo weapon, it's that one, and it's not in this game. Have 343i actually played the old Halo games? ;)

On a more positive note, I'm leaving the finale for tomorrow, but I have rather enjoyed the overall story, what little there is. :)

I've captured all the FOBs, rescued all the squads and killed all the targets in the open world, now, so I think I'm ready to face the funnel o'fun to the end. Based on the reports in this thread, I reckon I'll knock it from heroic to easy and play along with a podcast, skipping the cutscenes. I've played it for 15 hours, apparently, and I feel like I've had my fill, so I just want to see it through to the end now.