IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

6 minutes ago, Varsity said:

They were both weak to Bungie's efforts to be fair but even if at a bare minimum they had 1 set piece moment, that's still 1 more than Infinite lol. 

Oh definitely. I’m not against them having set pieces, in fact I think they should have definitely had some and lowered the number of bosses.

I completed it on Heroic and loved it. I haven’t seen many criticisms of it that aren’t valid (repeating environments, emptyish world) it’s just that none of that bothered me because the core gameplay loop is so, so good. And I liked the plot because it managed to do a decent job of fixing all the nonsense they came up with in the previous 2 games.

As soon as I’d completed it on heroic I started again on Legendary, which is a noticeable step up in difficulty and the bosses are fucking rock.

6 minutes ago, Strafe said:

As soon as I’d completed it on heroic I started again on Legendary, which is a noticeable step up in difficulty and the bosses are fucking rock.

Until you realise you can cheese most of em lol and abuse the checkpoint system ^^. 

The core gameplay loop is great, but I can experience the same excellent gunplay for as long as I want in MP.

1 hour ago, Varsity said:

Until you realise you can cheese most of em lol and abuse the checkpoint system ^^. 

The core gameplay loop is great, but I can experience the same excellent gunplay for as long as I want in MP.

Please tell me these cheeses 

Well, I stumped up the princely sum of £1.00 to get gamepass ultimate, and have spent a good evening with the game. And you know what? It was a good evening, overall. :) 

The game makes an absolutely terrible first impression. The intro isn't encoded to HDR and is therefore washed out to fuck, the rest of the cut scenes are choppy as all hell, and the facial animation harks back three generations. What's with the Banished when they talk? It's like their mouths are animated at 15-20fps, it's really distracting. And Cortana, or whoever she is, basically looks like this 90% of the time:

Spoiler

Overly_attached_GF.jpg

She's also not funny, despite trying so hard to be. The writing in this game is absolute shite, with the voice acting equally poor. The opening missions aboard the ship are utterly terrible to the point I almost gave up. Just empty corridors, and yeah those worked for Halo 1, but that was twenty years ago. At this point the game looked pretty, but felt real fucking old; I figured I should probably get to the actual Halo part of this Halo game before writing it off.

Good thing I did, everything on the Halo was pretty much pure gold; the only exception being the bullet sponge boss I encountered. But it's the sheer scale of the world here, it is genuinely awesome. And sure, the FOBs are basically outposts from Far Cry and other open world games, but who cares? This is a fun world to play around in. It's fun just realising you can go anywhere, get a vantage point, drop down a ravine for cover and then grapple somewhere else - and yes the grapple hook is a nice addition, but it's not exactly an innovation, is it? "Centrepiece" oh, come on! Titanfall 2 and loads of other games have had grapple hooks and done them just as well if not better. 

I like the Halo world in this, I like the open world sandbox approach 343i have taken here, and I can feel it getting its hooks in me despite me not caring much (if at all) about the story here. 343i can't write for shit, and that's actually a shame because I really like the lore and stories in Bungie's Halo games. But yes, I am looking forward to playing more, and keeping my expectations firmly in check regarding the final missions.

1 hour ago, BitterToad said:

I can already see Thor's posts when he reaches the last third of the game and they are not going to be pleasant. 

I played more campaign last night and I'm now on the penultimate mission. I hesitate to post my thoughts because I've been quite active in my disdain for the campaign recently and don't want to be accused of too much negativity. 

4 hours ago, tobert said:

Am I right in thinking that the Master Chief Collection does a "best of" playlist of the various halo games campaign levels?

Yea there's loads dude. Each game has a number of playlists depending on theme. For example, Halo 3 has a "big battlegrounds" esque playlist which has the 3 big vehicle levels in it. It also has one just for the corridor/tight quarters type levels etc. There's also a set of cross-game playlists which feature the best of each game etc. I've checked them out a few times when I want to revisit some of the best moments back to back. 

6 hours ago, Strafe said:

Please tell me these cheeses 

Depends on the boss my guy. Most of it is just clever use of game mechanics tbh. You can use the grapple in a lot of places to get a vertical advantage where certain bosses just can't touch you while you sit back and get their health down. Not the way I wanted to do them but they are kinda BS on legendary. 

The one boss I really enjoyed was the one at the end of the AA gun mission, which just seemed to work really well with the environment, along with the mix of enemies and vehicles. The rest were all pretty rubbish.

I've just finished the campaign and have some mixed feelings about it. At times it was brilliant, and I think 343 definitely have the combat more or less sussed. However, I think the open world felt really underbaked. Aside from a couple of missions it really didn't add much to the campaign, and the linear missions were mostly quite forgettable as well. The combat really did elevate what would otherwise have been a pretty dull game.

The story was also awful. I think I mentioned earlier in the thread that I used to genuinely enjoy the Halo story. I loved all the Covenant stuff in Halo 2, for instance, and was even into the earlier 343 stuff with Halo 4 and Wars. This, however, was just guff. I got the impression that this was intended as a soft reboot of sorts, but if it was supposed to get me pumped for the future adventures of John Halo and Pelican guy, it failed miserably.

The music was disappointing as well actually. It was decent enough, but aside from the arrangements of Bungie era stuff it was completely lacking in memorable tunes. 

I did really enjoy the game for the most part, despite all these issues, but I'm kind of glad it's over.

4 minutes ago, Mogster said:

The music was disappointing as well actually. It was decent enough, but aside from the arrangements of Bungie era stuff it was completely lacking in memorable tunes. 

Yeah, this is indeed disappointing. I got the feels when the main theme was briefly used, but then that fucks off and is replaced with by-the-numbers sci-fi score 101 guff. The music so far has been entirely forgettable.

I played more campaign last night and I'm now on the penultimate mission. I hesitate to post my thoughts because I've been quite active in my disdain for the campaign recently and don't want to be accused of too much negativity. 

Yea there's loads dude. Each game has a number of playlists depending on theme. For example, Halo 3 has a "big battlegrounds" esque playlist which has the 3 big vehicle levels in it. It also has one just for the corridor/tight quarters type levels etc. There's also a set of cross-game playlists which feature the best of each game etc. I've checked them out a few times when I want to revisit some of the best moments back to back. 

Depends on the boss my guy. Most of it is just clever use of game mechanics tbh. You can use the grapple in a lot of places to get a vertical advantage where certain bosses just can't touch you while you sit back and get their health down. Not the way I wanted to do them but they are kinda BS on legendary. 

Making great use of xcloud streaming I played a couple of levels from the Epics battles playlist. Was great fun and good use of the streaming tech which allowed me to play instantly without needing to download the games

12 minutes ago, tobert said:

Making great use of xcloud streaming I played a couple of levels from the Epics battles playlist. Was great fun and good use of the streaming tech which allowed me to play instantly without needing to download the games

Having a Series S at the moment, xcloud is a godsend. The bigger MP games I can keep installed and then anything single player that I can stream from the cloud I do. Reduces the limited internal space issue a bit. 

I did cheese one of the two brute bros by him being so far away he didn’t get aggroed and me pointing a chain gun at a tiny pixelated area of the screen (after getting up close to see where he was) and holding down fire. As the chain gun blooms a fair bit this took about 7 or so minutes of holding the button down as it slowly whittled away his health and shields. I tried to do it with the second one but that didn’t work so had to get close to stop him using his sniper rifle and use a combination of plasma rifle and battle rifle. Even kept the two marines I had with me alive somehow. Upgrading the shield on legendary is very useful.

5 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I did cheese one of the two brute bros by him being so far away he didn’t get aggroed and me pointing a chain gun at a tiny pixelated area of the screen (after getting up close to see where he was) and holding down fire. As the chain gun blooms a fair bit this took about 7 or so minutes of holding the button down as it slowly whittled away his health and shields. I tried to do it with the second one but that didn’t work so had to get close to stop him using his sniper rifle and use a combination of plasma rifle and battle rifle. Even kept the two marines I had with me alive somehow. Upgrading the shield on legendary is very useful.

Yeah, you can abuse checkpoints on anything out in the open like that, whittle health down then duck behind cover, get shields back and get a checkpoint. Most of the time you'll get a checkpoint once your shields are back. Imo the only required upgrades are all the shield and drop wall ones, maybe grapple as well for the better cd, but it's not 100% necessary because you can kite a lot of the bosses around till you can grapple again. 

Threat Sensor and Thrusters both feel a bit pointless to upgrade. 

8 hours ago, Strafe said:

I don't understand why you would want to play a game like that. It just doesn't sound fun at all.

32 minutes ago, T Pot said:

I don't understand why you would want to play a game like that. It just doesn't sound fun at all.

Probably because after being one hit killed repeatedly, or stuck in death checkpoint loops, that's a reliable way to get on with the game. 

On 26/12/2021 at 11:22, K said:

One other nice thing I noticed is that when the sun sets, you can see it move underneath the Halo - you can see its procession through the gaps in the ring's structure. Apart from the other side of the ring being visible in the sky, the previous games could have been set anywhere, but this gave a really strong sense of place and emphasised the unique aspects of the setting.

Yeah, I noticed this when I finally got hold of a Banshee and flew up to land on the tallest peaks. It really brings home the sci-fi setting. I also noticed the 'sun below the horizon' effect. Lovely stuff.

The more I think about it, the more I realise what a great setting this game has. Broken bits of Halo ring is such a neat idea - the land-masses can be any size the designers want, and in future instalments you could have a desert chunk floating near a snowy chunk. There are natural, story-consistent boundaries, rather than the usual impassable mountain ranges or invisible walls. Floating islands in space look awesome and make a change from islands in an ocean. There is so much they can do with this setting. Ideally I want to be able to fly all around, underneath and between the islands in a proper spacecraft, and up to the enormous cruiser above.

51 minutes ago, Fletch said:

You’re right the game isn’t fun when you come to a boss. 

30 minutes ago, Varsity said:

Probably because after being one hit killed repeatedly, or stuck in death checkpoint loops, that's a reliable way to get on with the game. 

See, I just don't play on a difficulty that is so high it turns the game into a miserable slog. I'd rather have it on something that makes it fun. Don't get me wrong, you're 100% entitled to play it on a difficulty that is too much for you, but when you have to play the game in a way that sucks any fun or life from it to the point where it's totally ruined your experience, I don't understand why you'd do it. 

9 minutes ago, Pob said:

I think the point is that most bits are most fun with the challenge of Legendary, but the difficulty spikes can make it slog unless you find an exploit.

Which seems to be ruining the game for those people. So surely it would be better to drop to Heroic and have all parts of the game fun? I can't understand playing a game that is so difficult I'm not enjoying it at all. 

3 minutes ago, T Pot said:

Which seems to be ruining the game for those people. So surely it would be better to drop to Heroic and have all parts of the game fun? I can't understand playing a game that is so difficult I'm not enjoying it at all. 

Pretty much what @Pob said to be honest. 

It's each to their own, "all parts of the game" aren't fun for me if they're faceroll easy. Outside of the BS bosses Legendary is still fairly easy but I'd rather take the few challenges that come up with it and put up with the BS bosses than be able to go through all guns blazing and clear it no problem. 

I wouldn't say Legendary is "too much" for anyone here who have voiced opinions to be honest. It's literally the woeful boss design that causes the issues. Being oneshot because a boss has some OP weapon that can kill you instantly from across the map is not a test of skill like previous Halo legendary runs...it's just bad design simply put. 

I wasn't a fan of bosses in Halo when they added the same Warden fight over and over again in 5. Previous to that the only "boss" is Tartarus in Halo 2 and that was still meh at the time. There's no place for bosses with bullet sponge health bars here. 

That's fair enough I suppose! It sounds like the bosses need some tuning on Legendary. They certainly are not bullet sponges on Normal if you use the correct weapons.

For example:

Spoiler

On Harbinger

Shooting them with a standard BR or Assault rifle was barely moving their heath and was taking me ages. Using the sword and landing a few well timed strikes and that had 90% of the health gone in 3 hits.