IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

19 hours ago, Pob said:

The drop-wall is pretty epic when upgraded as well - the fact you can shoot out through it makes it very useful indeed. I was thinking it might also be OP. But the drop wall, combined with grapple and threat sensor, let you be really aggressive and dynamic in combat. I prefer this new flow to the old 'cowering behind a box figuring out how to grab the needler lying across the way' setup of the Legendary difficulty of old. I've just had the most epic firefights of my entire 20 hours doing the Annex Ridge base by mixing up all the equipment. Except for the boost, obviously. That really needs its own command (double-tap B for example) rather than being something you need to select first.

Here's some of that action from the Annex Ridge base. Feels like there are more Elites a bit later on, which makes for some classic Halo gameplay:

3 hours ago, Pob said:

Here's some of that action from the Annex Ridge base. Feels like there are more Elites a bit later on, which makes for some classic Halo gameplay:

The Plasma Pistol overcharge has been massively nerfed compared to prior games. It might strip the shields of a blue Elite but certainly not the Red or higher ranking. 

I’ve found the Ravager Rifle to be the best for shields. Basically a BR that strips shield, but is weak on “flesh”, so you then switch to the Kinetic weapon of your choice to finish them off. :)  

Played another hour or so last night. I'm really, really enjoying it.

The combat loop is just so satisfying! One loving kinetic weapons over anything else (especially the VK78 Commando) though I am aware that certain scenarios call for the use of plasma or power ordinance.

Still chuckling at the enemy dialogue too. 

It must have me as I'm going that thing where I'm actively clearing points-of-interest on the map before moving on. The last game I I'd that on was Miles Morales and, before that, Ghost of Tsushima.

The end drags on a bit, doesn’t it?

Spoiler

I killed the sneaky elite, then the big bloke with the hammer, which felt like a natural end to the game -  but then it threw me immediately back into a loaf of enemies. I’ve gone through several rooms of them now. I must be nearing the end.

22 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

The end drags on a bit, doesn’t it?

Reveal hidden contents

I killed the sneaky elite, then the big bloke with the hammer, which felt like a natural end to the game -  but then it threw me immediately back into a loaf of enemies. I’ve gone through several rooms of them now. I must be nearing the end.

Yep just the one corridor left to do!

It‘s just that the one corridor is repeated a hundred times….

I'm slightly dreading the last section of the game, but I've just done the three AA guns sequence and am on the bit with the four beacons, and I'm really enjoying this. The AA guns bit in particular was fantastic, and probably the only mission so far where I've thought that I really wanted to replay it. It's open-world Halo done really well - no Ubisoft-style distractions like clearing icons off the map, just a broad, wide bit of landscape that you can tackle in any way you like. They manage to work a fair bit of variety into the levels too, despite it all being based on the same Pacific north-west environment.

One other nice thing I noticed is that when the sun sets, you can see it move underneath the Halo - you can see its procession through the gaps in the ring's structure. Apart from the other side of the ring being visible in the sky, the previous games could have been set anywhere, but this gave a really strong sense of place and emphasised the unique aspects of the setting.

I'm about 8 hours into the campaign and been slowly building up the Spartan bits, exploring the map but it all seems to be a bit.. boring. Nothing really changes beyond the usual shooter bits with each map choice being a FOB, Spartan core or armour upgrade. Everything is very copy/paste so is this it? Does it get better as the game goes on and expand with different things to do? I've not found a Banshee yet so its all on foot. I read in a couple of reviews that the campaign is around 12 hours long so I'm wondering if it's plateaued for me.

Left this for a few days and can’t wait to get stuck back in to it tbh. 

I def miss it. The movement and combat is so good - it’s always a joy, apart from the bosses which are shit. 

Just bring back scarab-type ‘bosses’, moving levels with high level elites and brutes on. That would be so much more fitting. 

Invisible enemies are crap to fight too.

I’m slightly confused about what happens after the campaign ends. I’m back out on the ring but am not sure what is influencing the enemy respawns. They’re back in some locations but not in others?

The checkpointing is irritating me. I’ve got to the very last bit of the last boss with 

Spoiler

harbinger down to the last sliver of health but it’s checkpointed me with about half a second before a big brute with a hammer kills me. Or if I dodge I get sniped quickly by elites. I’ve managed to kill that brute and the elites twice in the last hour only to fuck up on the last bit of boss fight. It’s infuriating. I’m on the verge of rage-uninstalling the game.

50 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

Is it possible to turn the difficulty down without replaying the whole level? Heroic was fine up until this bit.

edit: I’ve given up. Can’t be bothered with it. It will just have to stay unfinished. 

The same bit took me ages and was an incredibly frustrating way to end a game I'd really loved until that point. 

16 minutes ago, Muz said:

The same bit took me ages and was an incredibly frustrating way to end a game I'd really loved until that point. 

I got past that brute a good 3 times (which took ages) but then I just got killed by harbinger’s electric shooty things. I know I was supposed to dodge but couldn’t parse the button presses to switch items. 

As has already been said upthread, torch and crouch are mostly useless and don’t warrant having their own buttons while I can’t select between grapple and dodge without having to stop and remember what combination it was on the D-pad.

It’s a relief to be honest just to uninstall the thing. I’ve got better ways to waste my time.

23 hours ago, Shook said:

Just bring back scarab-type ‘bosses’

The frustrating thing is 343 have done some really great versions of these in 4 and 5. Those games had flaws, but were punctuated with some series-highlight set pieces; Infinite is sort of the opposite* insofar as the fundamentals are all there and really well executed, but there’s no big, impressive moments. 

* I only note that I haven’t finished it yet, so could be wrong, although that’s not the impression others have given. 

16 hours ago, Monkeyspill said:

Is it possible to turn the difficulty down without replaying the whole level? Heroic was fine up until this bit.

edit: I’ve given up. Can’t be bothered with it. It will just have to stay unfinished. 

Yes, if you quit out of the game completely then restart it will let you set the difficulty and drops you off at an earlier checkpoint. Been a few times where I've been stuck like you have and its saved a lot of hassle.

12 hours ago, Popo said:

The frustrating thing is 343 have done some really great versions of these in 4 and 5. Those games had flaws, but were punctuated with some series-highlight set pieces; Infinite is sort of the opposite* insofar as the fundamentals are all there and really well executed, but there’s no big, impressive moments. 

* I only note that I haven’t finished it yet, so could be wrong, although that’s not the impression others have given. 

Which set pieces from 4 and 5 are you talking about? I can’t think of anything that matched the sheer spectacle of the first time the Scarab climbs over the buildings in Halo 3.

55 minutes ago, JPL said:

Which set pieces from 4 and 5 are you talking about? I can’t think of anything that matched the sheer spectacle of the first time the Scarab climbs over the buildings in Halo 3.

Off the top of my head the giant moving truck mission from 4 and the mega-Scarab-base from 5 are real stand-outs. 

38 minutes ago, Popo said:

Off the top of my head the giant moving truck mission from 4 and the mega-Scarab-base from 5 are real stand-outs. 

I really had to think long and hard about those; especially the giant scarab from 5, which just shows how weak they both were to me compared to Bungie’s efforts.