IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

I do like this but I've installed Master Chief Collection and I'm looking forward to going through Halo 3 or Reach after. I've spoken at length about my issues with open world games (TLDR: pacing issues and dead time, mostly) and this isn't any different.

I just had a great moment of discovery - a Mjolnir armour upgrade that for whatever reason wasn’t marked on my map even though the nearby FOB Lima was active:

Spoiler

It’s at the very southern end of the huge valley that runs north to south through the map. There was some green glow sticks that grabbed my attention from afar, with some climbing rope and an oxygen tank nearby. “Hmm”, I thought to myself, “maybe there’s a hidden item up above me?” Sure enough, there was! 

What a great little reward for curiosity, with all the visual cues and clues to shepherd the player towards it without completely giving the game away and robbing me of my sense of achievement at having discovered  something for myself.

And what a shame it’s the only one of its type in the game so far.  

Campaign finished on Heroic.

Really enjoyed it, especially the more open areas that allowed experimentation with the sandbox, could have done with less of those empty corridors and holograms chatting to each other to advance the plot. Overall Halo is now in a great place and I’m looking forward to what is next.

Campaign and that amazing MP make this my game of the year. Well done 343. 

10 hours ago, BitterToad said:

This is really thick though. Like, you're just doing yourself out of fun. I understand quite a few of the criticisms yourself and others have pointed at the game but this one's on you. There were people in the Deathloop thread doing similar. "I found one weapon and it made the game easy and I finished it with that one weapon." For me Halo isn't about getting through it, it's about playing with the sandbox, experimenting, having fun! And for all of the faults in Infinite's Exploration, story, graphics, whatever else, the Halo sandbox has never been more fun than it is here and you're doing yourself a disservice if you just play everything the same way because it gets you through encounters. 

I mean, I wouldn't say it's "really thick." People have different viewpoints on what's fun. If you enjoy the sandbox gameplay and dicking about, all power to you. 

For me, and no doubt others, it's about challenge, and well, there isn't really any in this other than the cheap bosses. Legendary in CE + 2 was an utter nightmare because of how the elites behaved, ducking, dodging and "human" weapons would do barely any damage to em so you were constantly trying to get in that cheeky plasma pistol overcharge and headshot. 

Every weapon seems viable in this, I really thought the different weapon types like kinetic/shock/plasma etc would have a huge impact on playstyle going into the harder difficulties but it just doesn't. You can just as effectively kill a shielded enemy with a commando/br as you can whatever else and with multiple ammo crates lying around, I've never had a problem for ammo...there is no "oh shit I'm out of ammo, wtf do I do now." 

Again, hugely down to different people's opinions, but I don't find the sandbox fun. It's bland, boring and once you realise you only need enough spartan cores to upgrade the shield and drop wall, you don't have to bother with anything else. Due to the insane greed from 343 in the MP, there's nothing really worth grabbing cosmetic wise from the mjolnir lockers, and every other collectible is just filler. 

I'm sure I'll get hate for this but those audio logs gave me massive Fallout 76 vibes, in that characters we know of speak in them but never make an appearance. You're just sat on the ring with generic marines and the two main story characters. 

20 minutes ago, Varsity said:

I mean, I wouldn't say it's "really thick." People have different viewpoints on what's fun. If you enjoy the sandbox gameplay and dicking about, all power to you. 

For me, and no doubt others, it's about challenge, and well, there isn't really any in this other than the cheap bosses. Legendary in CE + 2 was an utter nightmare because of how the elites behaved, ducking, dodging and "human" weapons would do barely any damage to em so you were constantly trying to get in that cheeky plasma pistol overcharge and headshot. 

Every weapon seems viable in this, I really thought the different weapon types like kinetic/shock/plasma etc would have a huge impact on playstyle going into the harder difficulties but it just doesn't. You can just as effectively kill a shielded enemy with a commando/br as you can whatever else and with multiple ammo crates lying around, I've never had a problem for ammo...there is no "oh shit I'm out of ammo, wtf do I do now." 

Again, hugely down to different people's opinions, but I don't find the sandbox fun. It's bland, boring and once you realise you only need enough spartan cores to upgrade the shield and drop wall, you don't have to bother with anything else. Due to the insane greed from 343 in the MP, there's nothing really worth grabbing cosmetic wise from the mjolnir lockers, and every other collectible is just filler. 

I'm sure I'll get hate for this but those audio logs gave me massive Fallout 76 vibes, in that characters we know of speak in them but never make an appearance. You're just sat on the ring with generic marines and the two main story characters. 

Oh "really thick" was me talking how I normally do and forgetting it comes across in type on the internet, so apologies for that if it caused any offence @Uncle Nasty! I just think it's a case of making your own fun rather than complaining about what you "need." There's been some chat on here about reviewers only liking it because of "nostalgia" but it brings to mind a point made on the excellent Back Page Pod this year. Immersive Sims like Dishonoured and Deathloop tend to do much better with games critics than with sales and the point they made was that critics tend to be looking to break stuff and those games tend to reward that, and I think Infinite's the same. If you're all about working out the best possible way of doing things and then exacting that plan then it'll definitely come up short, but in terms of just throwing yourself into the mix and experimenting on the fly Halo Infinite's pretty unmatched for me.

I think if you look at it as an open world and compare it to Breath of the Wild or as a shooter and compare it to Titanfall 2 or DOOM then it'll come up a little short in terms of actual crafted design. But on its own merits, as an example of playing around with enemies in a Halo sandbox I think it's up there with the very best in the series and offers something that none of those other examples give. It's moment to moment freedom rather than freedom in exploration. 

I'm also finding it really really hard on heroic, and am having to change my plans for a lot of the bases etc. 

Finished it last night. Buckle up, becuase here are my OPNINIONS. Mostly criticisms.

Sometimes it felt like halo, and I think that's a great because I like halo. I really enjoyed most of the open world bits. Thought it was a totally great game but then the last third or so was a turd. Or so.

The story is utter shit. I don't understand or care who many of the characters are or what's happening. Cortana's obsession with the master chief is bizzarre and creepy.

I don't like the stuff the aliens say. Grunts trying too hard to be funny, I just feel sorry for them, and not convinced that they're even aliens. Jackals should never say anything. Encountering the skirmishers is like fighting a rabid Judi Dench. They're all saying stuff that I couldn't believe they were speaking alien translated into English. It's just English. I'm sure some of the enemies even call you a "hero"?

Everything's gone a bit hooray for the military support our troops AMERICA. Even all the weapons and vehicles have to have a military designation. It's sci fi, it's fine to just be a battle rifle OK?

It's the only halo game where I've struggled with the controls. Trying to input the konami code just to select my grenade and equipment isn't intuitive, and it stopped me from doing what I was trying to quite a lot.

Not sure about the enemy variations. It's inconsistent. Grunts with shields! Brutes that you can kill in a few shots and then brutes with overshields that rain death from two hundred meters away. Brutes that run straight for you! Brutes that act like elites, brutes that act like grunts!

The balance isn't great. I often felt like I was cheating or being cheated.

The hunters are overpowered. On heroic they'd just look straight at me and blast me. It reminded me a bit of games where the enemies have no AI. I had to change the difficulty down to normal for the last pair and they were still a challenge for me.

I liked some of the indoor bits, they reminded me of the first Halo. But then they'd be better if they were a quarter as long.

Bosses were garbage. No thanks.

Checkpoints don't work very well. They also don't mean you can quit out and return - not sure why they made this change. They're triggered in weird places too. Don't withhold me a checkpoint just because I don't want to listen to some bullshit hologram.

It's tragic watching people get crushed to death every single time I order a vehicle. They've survived this long.

Multiplayer is OK but again I don't like the style choices. I could do without all the posturing and dramatic music and hilarious AI quips. I'm not even going to try to engage with learning what a battle pass is or any of this paid for shit.

Huge section of the map with nothing in it. Why's it there? There are also a lot of places with interesting features but nothing to do there. Someone's obviously gone to some effort designing them but there's nothing of interest. Or there's groups of enemies in the middle of nowhere - you can fight them if you want, but there's no reason to. It feels unfinished that way.

Having not played 5, I think this is probably the best zombie halo. But it's still zombie halo, and my fascinating opinion is that halo shouldn't have been made after bungie left.

3 minutes ago, BitterToad said:

Oh "really thick" was me talking how I normally do and forgetting it comes across in type on the internet, so apologies for that if it caused any offence @Uncle Nasty! I just think it's a case of making your own fun rather than complaining about what you "need." There's been some chat on here about reviewers only liking it because of "nostalgia" but it brings to mind a point made on the excellent Back Page Pod this year. Immersive Sims like Dishonoured and Deathloop tend to do much better with games critics than with sales and the point they made was that critics tend to be looking to break stuff and those games tend to reward that, and I think Infinite's the same. If you're all about working out the best possible way of doing things and then exacting that plan then it'll definitely come up short, but in terms of just throwing yourself into the mix and experimenting on the fly Halo Infinite's pretty unmatched for me.

Was my post but no apology needed lol, I just assume comments made are always critical given what this forum tends to be like. 

I think you make a valid point though, in that depending on what any person is looking for will determine their enjoyment. I.E Hardcore players will not find much here whereas others might love the sandbox gameplay. 

23 minutes ago, Varsity said:

Was my post but no apology needed lol, I just assume comments made are always critical given what this forum tends to be like. 

I think you make a valid point though, in that depending on what any person is looking for will determine their enjoyment. I.E Hardcore players will not find much here whereas others might love the sandbox gameplay. 

What constitutes a “hardcore player”? 

5 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

What constitutes a “hardcore player”? 

As mentioned in my post above, to me personally that would be people that play for challenge/and/or get enjoyment out of the hardest difficulty. 

Apart from the cheap bosses there is no challenge in this. They've even simplified LASO by allowing the infinite ammo skull to be used which defeats the whole point of it. 

11 minutes ago, Varsity said:

As mentioned in my post above, to me personally that would be people that play for challenge/and/or get enjoyment out of the hardest difficulty. 

Apart from the cheap bosses there is no challenge in this. They've even simplified LASO by allowing the infinite ammo skull to be used which defeats the whole point of it. 

Completely disagree, Heroic difficulty offers up a similar if not more challenging experience to the prior games. 

8 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Completely disagree, Heroic difficulty offers up a similar if not more challenging experience to the prior games. 

You're entitled to disagree. Personally, I thought the enemies seemed to be lacking the challenge they previously did, not many of them push you like the old elites did. Any that do push you like the charging brutes, you can just grab some vertical positioning via grapple and they can't get to you while you stand there picking them off. Same with the cloaked sword elites, as long as you get on a box or pillar, they become completely irrelevant. 

The AI in general just seems a bit naff in my opinion, I've rarely had to use any form of strategy so far and the grapple makes it hilariously easy to get out of danger, recharge and go back. 

1 minute ago, Benny said:

I'm literally flabbergasted that veteran Halo players who have played the entire series all the way through might find the game a bit easier than those that haven't.

Probably forgotten. This one is much easier aside from some of the bosses. 

Yeah, the general enemies in this are way easier than any other game. Brutes and Elites in Reach are way, way harder to hit than in this. They're all over the place, ducking, diving, pirouetting. 

1 hour ago, chris on the moon said:

Trying to input the konami code just to select my grenade and equipment isn't intuitive,

This is perfect.

11 minutes ago, Benny said:

I'm literally flabbergasted that veteran Halo players who have played the entire series all the way through might find the game a bit easier than those that haven't.

What about some players who have played the entire series finding it easier than other players who have played the entire series?

14 minutes ago, Benny said:

I’ve finished all the Halo games on Legendary (bar Halo 5) and was part of the development team that brought you Halo 3, 4 & ODST remasters as part of the MCC, and I’ve found this to be far more challenging than any other, on Heroic. I know these games very well. 

…but it is subjective to the player and their approach to the game. In this game, the enemy head count in a typical encounter seems far, far higher than any other game requiring you to spin far more plates than usual. Halo CE you would encounter fewer enemies that might feel trickier, but no not really as almost every Elite in this game has stronger shield and more health than any other entry - sometimes to its detriment - shield often take MORE that one Plasma Pistol charge or health takes multiple sword hits. There are brutes that require more attrition that any other game in the series, and lots of switching of ammo type guns to be the most efficient. It’s all really great in my opinion. 

7 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

…but it is subjective to the player and their approach to the game. In this game, the enemy head count in a typical encounter seems far, far higher than any other game requiring you to spin far more plates than usual. Halo CE you would encounter fewer enemies that might feel trickier, but no not really as almost every Elite in this game has stronger shield and more health than any other entry - sometimes to its detriment - shield often take MORE that one Plasma Pistol charge or health takes multiple sword hits. There are brutes that require more attrition that any other game in the series, and lots of switching of ammo type guns to be the most efficient. It’s all really great in my opinion. 

Pretty sure Two Betrayals had more going on enemy wise than anything in this game so far. 

But if you're enjoying it, you're enjoying it, godspeed.