IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

Whereabouts is this apparently non-obvious point of no return? I've just done 

Spoiler

The Conservatory mission and have now come back to the surface. The next thing is The Spire, which has an air of finality about it.

Is this my last chance to do world map stuff? I've got most of the FOBs already and am 12 hours in.

24 minutes ago, Girth Certificate said:

I absolutely love rollin' deep with the boys in a Razorback. It's excellent fun.

Everything else can bolt. The Wasp is probably the most rubbish and boring vehicle in all of the Halo games, even worse than the gyrocopters in Halo 3.

Halo: Peaks & Troughs would be a good name for this.

The wasp was completely useless against Banshees. Might as well bail if you're spotted.

16 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Reveal hidden contents

The Conservatory mission and have now come back to the surface. The next thing is The Spire, which has an air of finality about it.

Is this my last chance to do world map stuff? I've got most of the FOBs already and am 12 hours in.

You've got a couple of big missions yet.

1 hour ago, Uncle Nasty said:

There should have been NG+ option where you can use the NVT unlocks. Seems a real waste to have all these upgraded weapons unlocked and nothing to shoot on the empty map. Another indication of rushed/poorly planned design.

They also should have given the weapons basic stats at the very least so you could actually see what's different in the NVT unlocks beyond their paintjobs.

I found most of the vehicles completely pointless. The map is just too crowded with tress/rocks and full of dead ends/tight roads to make them enjoyable. Why Mongoose when you can Grapple? Again, really fucked balance.

Probably my biggest complaint. I'd usually do a good few Heroic runs to get familiar with a new Halo and not attempt Legendary until I was really confident that I could make a dent in it. In Infinite I quit my Heroic run and blazed through it on Legendary, only problem as you say was the bosses, but I'd put that more down to their shit design and tight environments.

Something else I noticed is every achievement I unlocked is a rare/diamond - I unlocked the achievements for killing every NVT, rescuing all marines,  liberating every FOB etc and they were all rare. Even the missions have a really low, say 12%, of completion. Is everyone just playing the MP or bouncing off the game early?

You have to realise you’re in the 1% of the 1% for even completing the campaign more than once, let alone ‘usually I’d do a good few Heroic runs’…

I'm enjoying the game but it definitely feels like Breath of the Wild came along and no one on the development staff noticed. I'm about half way through, just done the AA missiles section which was really good and a clear example of where the game's strengths lies. The campaign missions which are just boring corridors and samey bosses in small rooms aren't doing much for me. 

A few points which have been noteworthy, particularly in light of my BOTW comment is that early on I tried to get to the South East island and managed to successfully get there from a high starting point but then got the 'left battlefield' message and killed me. Clearly they don't want me there yet but they have done a poor job of stopping me and in BOTW where I can, if I want, go straight to Hyrule Castle is just seems a shame to have such a boring barrier preventing me from getting there. Likewise, I'm currently at a large spire and wanted to go to the top with my grapple but at a certain point it just stops connection so I can't do it. It's like the game wants you to experiment, but just not too much. 

Also grapple definitely needs its own specific button. Why on earth flash and crouch has a dedicated input but grapple does not is very strange. Something like grapple is permanent R1 and then use B or similar for deploy equipment (relegate flash to the gadget panel and put crouch on up D-pad). 

I have enjoyed the game but the open world encounters are the best with the campaign stuff a bit of a slog. Also, a lot of the time the open world seems a bit underdeveloped. Thinks like Spartan Cores are listed on the map whereas they should really be discovered by exploring the game naturally. The open world is also a bit basic, all very similar in terms of look, again something like BOTW really puts it to shame. In that game just by looking at the landscape I can work out where I am but here it looks pretty similar. There was an island at the top of the map which I managed to get and there was a boss to beat to grant a weapon but aside from that it was a pretty empty place. Perhaps it will have significance later in the campaign but it seemed weird to have a difficult to reach island and most of it is just completely empty. 

So yeah, a lot of its flaws are simply because BOTW came out and just nailed the open world approach and here we are five years later and rather than surpassing BOTW it is lacking in nearly all ways. Combat though, still as great as ever and does save the game. 

49 minutes ago, Girth Certificate said:

I absolutely love rollin' deep with the boys in a Razorback. It's excellent fun.

Everything else can bolt. The Wasp is probably the most rubbish and boring vehicle in all of the Halo games, even worse than the gyrocopters in Halo 3.

Halo: Peaks & Troughs would be a good name for this.

Yeah the Scorpion is just too big for the map, and the bases very reasonably have those big metal Jacks things to stop tanks, but the Warthog, Razorback, Ghost and Banshee are all really useful.

The Ghost is how I beat 75% of the HVT encounters - it’s like a portable infinite ammo plasma turret 😎.

Razorback with two rocket launcher guys was needed for Myriad.

There are a couple of encounters in high places where a Banshee is by far the best way to reach them and they even have a landing pad with a fresh banshee on for your departure.

Again, for me it’s just a shame they didn’t have time to go way further. Given Infinite is supposed to be the Halo platform for the next X years, what are 343 saying they’re going to bring to it? Do we expect a new campaign in a few years or something?

1 minute ago, RJames said:

Again, for me it’s just a shame they didn’t have time to go way further. Given Infinite is supposed to be the Halo platform for the next X years, what are 343 saying they’re going to bring to it? Do we expect a new campaign in a few years or something?

I believe they are planning to continue the story yes. Don't have a source right now, but a few people have mentioned it and it sounds familiar. 

It is another reason for me not to rush getting back to the campaign though. I prefer my stories to have a defined end point not a cliffhanger for future content...

5 minutes ago, McCoy said:

I'm enjoying the game but it definitely feels like Breath of the Wild came along and no one on the development staff noticed. I'm about half way through, just done the AA missiles section which was really good and a clear example of where the game's strengths lies. The campaign missions which are just boring corridors and samey bosses in small rooms aren't doing much for me. 

A few points which have been noteworthy, particularly in light of my BOTW comment is that early on I tried to get to the South East island and managed to successfully get there from a high starting point but then got the 'left battlefield' message and killed me. Clearly they don't want me there yet but they have done a poor job of stopping me and in BOTW where I can, if I want, go straight to Hyrule Castle is just seems a shame to have such a boring barrier preventing me from getting there. Likewise, I'm currently at a large spire and wanted to go to the top with my grapple but at a certain point it just stops connection so I can't do it. It's like the game wants you to experiment, but just not too much. 

Also grapple definitely needs its own specific button. Why on earth flash and crouch has a dedicated input but grapple does not is very strange. Something like grapple is permanent R1 and then use B or similar for deploy equipment (relegate flash to the gadget panel and put crouch on up D-pad). 

I have enjoyed the game but the open world encounters are the best with the campaign stuff a bit of a slog. Also, a lot of the time the open world seems a bit underdeveloped. Thinks like Spartan Cores are listed on the map whereas they should really be discovered by exploring the game naturally. The open world is also a bit basic, all very similar in terms of look, again something like BOTW really puts it to shame. In that game just by looking at the landscape I can work out where I am but here it looks pretty similar. There was an island at the top of the map which I managed to get and there was a boss to beat to grant a weapon but aside from that it was a pretty empty place. Perhaps it will have significance later in the campaign but it seemed weird to have a difficult to reach island and most of it is just completely empty. 

So yeah, a lot of its flaws are simply because BOTW came out and just nailed the open world approach and here we are five years later and rather than surpassing BOTW it is lacking in nearly all ways. Combat though, still as great as ever and does save the game. 

Agree with *most* of this. Though there are many spartan cores (and other things) not on the map.

But the fact it falls short of one of the best games of all time surely tells you it’s in fact: pretty good.

16 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

The Composer level in H4 absolutely buries anything in Infinite. It's classic Halo. It's as good or better than a lot of Bungie's own levels. H4 still feels properly futuristic, sleek and alien. There's a progressive sci-fi feel to it, the colours, artwork, textures and atmosphere are all way beyond most of Infinite. Play the Composer level and compare to the threadbare mess of Infinite. Different league.

I played through 4 and 5 again before Infinite came out. The gun play in H4 feels totally off compared to that in the original trilogy (and now infinite). It’s better in 5 but still not quite there.

I struggle to remember much in missions beyond the huge juggernaut in 4 (fun) and the mushroom planet (looked so bland) and running doesn’t the side of the guardian (entertaining) in 5. Everything else didn’t really stick in the memory.

They both (4, especially), had a real call of duty feel to it’s missions at times and 5 had the most uninspiring main character in Locke that I can remember in recent times.

I know this won’t change your mind, obviously, I just can’t imagine anyone rated Halo 4 in the first place let alone thinks it plays better than Infinite.

4 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I struggle to remember much in missions beyond the huge juggernaut in 4 (fun) and the mushroom planet (looked so bland) and running doesn’t the side of the guardian (entertaining) in 5. Everything else didn’t really stick in the memory.

This is what I've pointed out to a few people. The first 3 all have multiple stand out missions/moments. EDIT: Forgot ODST + Reach are both magnificent, almost every mission is standout in Reach haha.

I was never a huge fan of 4 but to its credit it did have some stand out moments like the big jungle with multiple vehicle sections in it or the trench run at the end. 

All I remember of 5 was the same copy and paste boss fight over and over but the environments were varied at least, Sanghelios for example. 

Infinite doesn't have any of that. My biggest gripe is that every level I've played so far has been some combination of forerunner grey with the same layout as the Library/AotC or Banished red. 

Like I said in a previous post, don't see it as hating for the sake of it. I don't hate the campaign, I just find it very very forgettable/mediocre for a halo campaign and that level design is the prime reason for me personally.

39 minutes ago, McCoy said:

So far only one open world game has applied any of the design breakthroughs from BOTW and that was Death Stranding. 

Horizon Far West and Elden Ring are the first two big open worlders to have been completely developed post-BOTW so they will be a good litmus test to see if anyone is picking up some of the great ideas in that game.

3 minutes ago, Flanders said:

So far only one open world game has applied any of the design breakthroughs from BOTW and that was Death Stranding. 

Horizon Far West and Elden Ring are the first two big open worlders to have been completely developed post-BOTW so they will be a good litmus test to see if anyone is picking up some of the great ideas in that game.

Elden has horse jumping, so there's that.

1 hour ago, Jamie John said:

Hide contents

Isn't that about 2 missions after the intro? 

If you want to know how far you are in:

Spoiler

About a third of the way through the story missions.

If you want to know where the point of no return is:

Spoiler

After the "sequence" mission.

I imagine by the time you get to the point of no return, you'll be long done with the open world, anyway. At your stage, I'd only explored about a third of the map.

Did the Tower mission last night. All good fun up until another dreadful, dreadful boss fight that was supposedly designed around the threat sensor except you clearly need to use the grapple as well and it’s a nightmare to switch between.

After a bunch of very frustrating deaths I dropped the difficulty to easy and will be doing the same for all of these bosses. I’ve played through all the previous Halos on Heroic and never once thought to do that for a tough section, but there’s already been two of these shitty encounters in the first three story missions and I just need them out of the way so I can enjoy the decent regular combat. 

I'm ashamed to say that it was the thought of losing the achievement/badge for completing it on Heroic that made me put up with the awful boss fights.

And the checkpointing in them is really odd. Some have none at all, some have them in between stages, one of them checkpointed in a place where it hadn't on previous attempts. Just all over the place.

I'm a bit worried that all the critical praise they've been getting is going to get them to double down on all the bad bits.

1 hour ago, RJames said:

Agree with *most* of this. Though there are many spartan cores (and other things) not on the map.

But the fact it falls short of one of the best games of all time surely tells you it’s in fact: pretty good.

Oh, I'm enjoying it but it just feels like BOTW is a watershed moment, like Mario 64, which games released after have to acknowledge. Instead, this feels like it was released before BOTW. 

2 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

The map is just too crowded with tress/rocks and full of dead ends/tight roads to make them enjoyable.

I'm finding this myself. You can only go a few hundred metres before you're up against a steep hill or there are too many rocks to get past. The vehicles feel far lighter than earlier entries as well and are prone to flipping at the slightest bump in the road. It's really annoying.

What happened to the wide open vistas like this?

01.jpg

02.jpg

Yeah I’m liking this less as I play more too. I’m really enjoying the story missions in general but the boss ghost looms large the whole time I’m playing; the insta-kill approach they’ve taken means you’re always one scenery snag away from throwing the fight away.

Started out as a definite 8 or 9 for me, but slipping firmly in to a solid but not very exciting 7. 

1 hour ago, Varsity said:

This is what I've pointed out to a few people. The first 3 all have multiple stand out missions/moments. EDIT: Forgot ODST + Reach are both magnificent, almost every mission is standout in Reach haha.

I was never a huge fan of 4 but to its credit it did have some stand out moments like the big jungle with multiple vehicle sections in it or the trench run at the end. 

All I remember of 5 was the same copy and paste boss fight over and over but the environments were varied at least, Sanghelios for example. 

Infinite doesn't have any of that. My biggest gripe is that every level I've played so far has been some combination of forerunner grey with the same layout as the Library/AotC or Banished red. 

Like I said in a previous post, don't see it as hating for the sake of it. I don't hate the campaign, I just find it very very forgettable/mediocre for a halo campaign and that level design is the prime reason for me personally.

I think the biggest issue with 4 and 5 was how they didn’t actually have any Halo’s in it.

The Sanghelios mission was quite fun briefly, jumping from platform to platform but it looked rather silly for a city. Plus I had to listen to Jameson ‘fun police’ Locke suck out any kind of humour from the atmosphere as I went.

10 minutes ago, JPL said:

I'm finding this myself. You can only go a few hundred metres before you're up against a steep hill or there are too many rocks to get past. The vehicles feel far lighter than earlier entries as well and are prone to flipping at the slightest bump in the road. It's really annoying.

01.jpg

02.jpg

Having to fit it all on an Xbox One as well.

IMO the campaign is probably an 8 - I appreciate there's flaws but it's still such good fun. 

Multiplayer is amongst the best online experiences I've had in years, and I hope they add more detail/stats etc in the coming weeks/months because it's just superb. Got some old friends returning to online gaming again on the strength of it and we're having a blast. 

Neither mode is perfect, both modes do what I want with a video game - keep me entertained and have given me some top gaming memories.

3 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I think the biggest issue with 4 and 5 was how they didn’t actually have any Halo’s in it.

The Sanghelios mission was quite fun briefly, jumping from platform to platform but it looked rather silly for a city. Plus I had to listen to Jameson ‘fun police’ Locke suck out any kind of humour from the atmosphere as I went.

This is true, can't say I was a fan of the whole Promethean story arc tbh. Enjoyed 4 a bit more recently doing LASO but that was mainly for the skips and glitches you can do rather than rediscovering the campaign in a new light. 

One redeeming quality of 5 was Nathan Fillion returning as Buck though. I would argue that while Infinite features a Halo ring, it's not a particularly interesting one. The "open world" itself just reminds of playing the 2nd level of CE tbh. 

5 minutes ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Having to fit it all on an Xbox One as well.

Probably the worst thing they could have done, and it seems really short sighted when you think this is supposed to be built on for the next decade or so. Hamstrung from the off and where does it leave the last gen consoles once they start adding stuff to it?

12 minutes ago, Varsity said:

One redeeming quality of 5 was Nathan Fillion returning as Buck though. I would argue that while Infinite features a Halo ring, it's not a particularly interesting one. The "open world" itself just reminds of playing the 2nd level of CE tbh. 

Yeah, Buck was pretty cool though the revive mechanic seemed to just be there to make up for some weird difficultly spikes and bullshit sections.

30 minutes ago, JPL said:

01.jpg

02.jpg

Agree. As someone else mentioned, making it playable on the original Xbox One was a massive own goal.  This should be showing what the power of Series X can do. 

The open world both feels claustrophobic and boring at the same time which is quite some achievement. 

You have to wonder what the developers were doing for all these years. BOTW, GTA V, Forza Horizons, hell things like the Just Cause games are all either bigger or more interesting or, in some cases, both. 

2 hours ago, Varsity said:

Enjoyed 4 a bit more recently doing LASO but that was mainly for the skips and glitches you can do rather than rediscovering the campaign in a new light.

Oh, what’s this all about?

I’ve only ever tried LASO on CE and I can get about half way through the first level, but that’s it! I’ve no idea how people do it. It seems pretty much impossible to me.

Have these guys ever seen what a tank can do? Getting stuck on small bushes and fallen logs would likely mean nobody in the military ever wants to be the tank driver. A normal old tank can drive over a car for gods sake. 

And what's with the aliens drop ships dropping off baddies then simply vanishing into thin air? Riven Gate has been the worst so far, with the ships disappearing as soon as they reach the outside walls of that area. It's really quite sloppy. 

Is the northern-most island empty? I managed to get over here, spent a while exploring, and just found a few enemies walking round but nothing else. Now I can’t get back, and keep falling to my death every time I attempt the jump.

I’m hoping it won’t start me back over here if I restart the game.