IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

I think I’m on the last phase of the last boss and finding it to be an utterly miserable experience. I just want to get it over with so I can get back to the open world. 

Even when I kill the minions, it feels very much like I just randomly die. I’m not sure how to dodge those attacks. 

31 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I think I’m on the last phase of the last boss and finding it to be an utterly miserable experience. I just want to get it over with so I can get back to the open world. 

Even when I kill the minions, it feels very much like I just randomly die. I’m not sure how to dodge those attacks. 

By using the dodge mechanic of course! Which only requires a three button combination to pull off! :P

Feels weird to have a new Halo that I won't go back to. Even 4 and 5 have had multiple playthoughs from me, but this one was so forgettable and disappointing that I'm considering just deleting it.

Halo CE is still easily my favourite game of all time and that was reconfirmed recently with an absolutely joyous replay on the Series X and MCC version. Infinite was supposed to recapture the magic of CE but doesn't even come vaguely close. If anything Infinite feels like an alpha demo for what eventually became CE. When the open world of Infinite is cleared of most objectives and you're just aimlessly grappling yourself around the map looking for things to do, it just hits home that Halo shouldn't be like this. A rock climbing spiderman with nothing to do. The occasional Banshee will stutter past allowing you to use the same tired mechanic to yoink the pilot out of his seat and turn his own craft against him. But there's no satisfaction or fun in it thanks to the basic, predictable AI. Remember how fraught and exciting fighting a Banshee pilot would be when you were on foot. Utterly terrifying. Here it's like swatting a mildly annoying fly.

Merry fucking Christmas 343. You fucked it.

4 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Feels weird to have a new Halo that I won't go back to. Even 4 and 5 have had multiple playthoughs from me, but this one was so forgettable and disappointing that I'm considering just deleting it.

Halo CE is still easily my favourite game of all time and that was reconfirmed recently with an absolutely joyous replay on the Series X and MCC version. Infinite was supposed to recapture the magic of CE but doesn't even come vaguely close. If anything Infinite feels like an alpha demo for what eventually became CE. When the open world of Infinite is cleared of most objectives and you're just aimlessly grappling yourself around the map looking for things to do, it just hits home that Halo shouldn't be like this. A rock climbing spiderman with nothing to do. The occasional Banshee will stutter past allowing you to use the same tired mechanic to yoink the pilot out of his seat and turn his own craft against him. But there's no satisfaction or fun in it thanks to the basic, predictable AI. Remember how fraught and exciting fighting a Banshee pilot would be when you were on foot. Utterly terrifying. Here it's like swatting a mildly annoying fly.

Merry fucking Christmas 343. You fucked it.

I’ve been reading this thread since launch and it’s a shame how down on it you are, especially after enjoying it at the beginning.

I’ve only just got around to properly starting it and I’ve just done The Tower, which was absolutely excellent. I’m the same as you in that CE is my favourite game ever, so I’m really worried that Infinite is going to drop off a cliff at some point and leave me hugely disappointed, but for now I’m having a brilliant time with it.

I’ll be back once I get further in with more impressions, but so far from the bit I’ve played and the combat adjustments, it’s easily 343’s best Halo. Let’s see if that changes.

1 minute ago, JPL said:

I’ve been reading this thread since launch and it’s a shame how down on it you are, especially after enjoying it at the beginning.

I’ve only just got around to properly starting it and I’ve just done The Tower, which was absolutely excellent. I’m the same as you in that CE is my favourite game ever, so I’m really worried that Infinite is going to drop off a cliff at some point and leave me hugely disappointed, but for now I’m having a brilliant time with it.

I’ll be back once I get further in with more impressions.

I know. I was cheerleading this game from the start.  Even the initial reveal looked fine to me and I thought people were being unfairly harsh on 343. Love my Series X and what MS are doing in general. I'm genuinely gutted at how all this has played out. Hope you get more mileage from it than I did, and I really mean that.

1 minute ago, Strafe said:

I think threads like this can always remind us that people have different but equally valid opinions.

Well, mostly anyway. Thinking that Halo 4 and 5 are better than infinite is mental :sherlock:

The Composer level in H4 absolutely buries anything in Infinite. It's classic Halo. It's as good or better than a lot of Bungie's own levels. H4 still feels properly futuristic, sleek and alien. There's a progressive sci-fi feel to it, the colours, artwork, textures and atmosphere are all way beyond most of Infinite. Play the Composer level and compare to the threadbare mess of Infinite. Different league.

I would rank 5 lower than infinite, but they are both right at the bottom of the barrel so who cares. But 4 for sure deserves way more credit.

Yeah for me the open world shine has worn off quite quickly. It's just not that interesting.

It's icons on a map and earning Valor. Valor is used to unlock weapons, vehicles and different marines, but weaponry is lying around absolutely everywhere. The grapple is fun but it's just used to scale bland rockfaces. The open world isn't massively interesting and gets samey quickly. I don't have much incentive to do things bar the OCD need to clear the map of icons. It's not like BOTW where discovery and exploration were organic. 

The combat is still great but I prefered it in the surroundings of a campaign and being tightly plotted and designed. 

Taking outposts, saving squads, clearing FOBs falls into the open world trap of just having the same activity copy and pasted. The combat is fun but doesn't push me into doing them. If I go to that icon, I can go have the same combat experience that I can have anywhere else on the map.

For me, it's an admirable attempt but doesn't quite hold together in a way that feels cohesive, unique and rewarding. I think I'd rather just have the spectacle of a dozen campaign missions. 

I am only five missions into the campaign mind, so I might find that the later ones wow me. I liked the first two missions here, but I found the couple after that to just be a bit meh. 

17 minutes ago, JPL said:

I’ll be back once I get further in with more impressions, but so far from the bit I’ve played and the combat adjustments, it’s easily 343’s best Halo. Let’s see if that changes.

As @Uncle Nasty says, hopefully you’ll get more mileage from it overall, but my feelings are quite closely aligned with his and I’d say the Tower level was still during the honeymoon period for me.

Be interested to hear your thoughts as you progress, but I wouldn’t worry too much, the majority of folk seem to be loving it.

1 hour ago, Kevvy Metal said:

By using the dodge mechanic of course! Which only requires a three button combination to pull off! :P

They do so much AOE damage that the dodge on its own is worthless. You basically have to sprint and boost, which means you can't keep the boss in your sights.

Anyway - done. Bloody awful boss. And I was right, about half the campaign is behind a point of no return! No warning whatsoever that you'll be stuck doing 6 or 7 hours of boring corridor shooting and awful bosses if you progress with the story.

I am sick to death of fighting Hunters and Brutes with hammers. They are so flipping boring to fight on Heroic/Legendary. It literally just becomes a Benny Hill chase.

As for the story, it is catastrophically bad. As in, bad enough to colour the whole experience.

Spoiler

We learn pretty much nothing over the course of the game. Not what they were doing out on Zeta Halo (maybe that they were going after Cortana), what the Banished want exactly, or what the Harbinger is or wants. To release the Endless. The game's approach to why we should care seems to be "trust me, bro." Unfortunately, every time they're mentioned I just think of 343's track record for introducing new enemy types.

And then we're supposed to believe Cortana had a complete and utter change of heart due to one run in with Atriox? As in having just destroyed all of Sydney, enslaved Earth and killed 74 Spartans without a second thought, she supposedly finds her moral compass and becomes compassionate again.

And then the final bad joke is that Weapon is given "permission" from Chief to name herself after the mass murderer! It's the "perfect name," apparently! I'm sure that'll go down well with Earth and the UNSC!

My God, I don't think I've seen my opinion and experience of a game tank as badly as this before. I honestly had BOTW vibes early on. It would be a massive stinking pile of poo if it weren't for the open world, but even that is too barebones and repetitive for me to call this an overall great or even good game, without ignoring huge chunks of it. Mounds and mounds of potential, but so much of it squandered.

Valor. Fast Travel. Propaganda Towers. The Banished. Audio Logs. It's so basic and unimaginative.

One set of enemies and one location for the entire game. The same repetitive sequences over and over again.

Why is everything so low effort and cheap in this game? Nothing adds up to the scale and budget behind it, even with the cancellations and delays. None of this would fly even in a Far Cry or Wolfenstein.

23 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

The Composer level in H4 absolutely buries anything in Infinite. It's classic Halo. It's as good or better than a lot of Bungie's own levels. H4 still feels properly futuristic, sleek and alien. There's a progressive sci-fi feel to it, the colours, artwork, textures and atmosphere are all way beyond most of Infinite. Play the Composer level and compare to the threadbare mess of Infinite. Different league.

I would rank 5 lower than infinite, but they are both right at the bottom of the barrel so who cares. But 4 for sure deserves way more credit.

Yeah this is another weird thing I’ve found about so many people saying ‘finally 343 made a good Halo game’ - Halo 4 is a good Halo game! Campaign-wise anyway, can’t speak for the multi. 

Like you say, Composer stands up with the best of Bungie. And whisper it, but the Prometheans are actually alright in 4 🥷 - yeah the dogs are stupid but the Knights’ teleport move means you have to be aggressive and go after them to kill then, which jolts you out of the mid-range rut that has been a feature of later Halos.

The Prometheans are rubbish in 5, but then again everything was rubbish in 5. I think they could have still worked as a change of pace in future games - I know the Covenant are the essential Halo combat loop but I do also think you need something else in there to mix things up and stop fatigue kicking in.

Beat the 2 bosses that follow the AA gun mission. Felt great as it must have taken 25+ attempts :lol:

I have no idea how I killed the first one. I think I might have stuck him with a plasma and followed it up with a frag grenade because he died as I was running away from him. 

I just adore the combat in this. So satisfying. When you're not being annihilated by the same boss constantly, that is. 

I think the couple of people here who think Infinite is trash (we get it, you don’t need to keep posting the same thing) are at least positively colouring my experience. I had thought the open world would just be about harvesting the icons but I’ve found so many things not marked on the map - there are plenty of Spartan Cores, Audio Logs, Encampments and other bits not on the map.

The grapple is obviously not just for scaling bland rockfaces! I use it all the time, swinging around corners, zooming up to sniper nests, manoeuvring in combat, grabbing those explodey things, melee aoe shock initiator and of course getting into or hijacking vehicles.

Again, I’m sure I’ll like the final corridor bit less, but at the moment I’m finding the game way bigger and more interesting in the open world than this thread had led me to believe. Whether it’s cruising around in a loaded razorback, taking the scorpion out for a spin or grabbing a banshee for fast travel or getting to secrets, it’s just fun. It’s no RDR2, that’s for sure, and it could be WAY better. But… it’s still great. I can’t believe how well designed and balanced every single weapon is (I finally understand what the shock weapons are for 😇).

Spoiler

Also the uniqueness of the HVT encounters is also great. If you want to cheese them (no way I wasn’t going to just rock up to Myriad with a loaded Razorback) you can. If you want to try to take them out solo, you can do that too. It organically caters for different skill levels and approaches in this way.

Compared to RDR2 and even AC:Valhalla, it’s really short and very limited, but it’s still very very fun and tbh those games are both a bit TOO long :)

I'm back in the open world. I was headed towards a mountain and there was another medium height peak. As I climbed it, the game told me there was an HVT Sniper near by. I couldn't be bothered with a fight, but when I got to the top, I could see the HVT perched way away from his crew, took a pop at him with my BR and took him out with a single headshot. I then grappled to another bit of the peak to get a better view of his crew, thinned them out and then dropped the 50 metres or so to clear them out. It felt like I had loads of options.

This is what Halo should be in 2021. Not fighting bloody Hunters in a locked room full of 20 identical boxes to hide behind.

12 minutes ago, Pob said:

Why are they coloured red? I don’t understand that either. 

Uncertain - I called in a bangbus Warthog for the first time but then stopped playing. I assume now that it’s red to indicate that it’s new, and it’ll be green on subsequent calls? Maybe someone else can confirm. 

It’s orangey red, but agree it’s too strong a distinction. 

I wish it explained what all the HVT weapons do. It’s kinda sad (but well balanced) that you can’t really make toooo much use of them.

Hydra best weapon, don’t @ me.

I recently finished my Halo 4 LASO run on the MCC. 

Upon reaching the credits, I was greeted with a message somewhere along the lines of:

"Thank you for trusting us with this journey, this is just the beginning and great things to come" paraphrasing - 343. 

That did not age well. 

Edit: For context, Im easily over 100 hours played in MP, but the campaign I've got about 5/6 missions left and haven't played it in days. For me, as a big Halo fan that's a first. I like the dialogue between the characters and the story is better than 5 at least but I don't like the open world, lack of set pieces, and BORING LEVEL DESIGN. 

Also apart from the odd difficulty spike with bosses, Legendary is far too easy. 

10 hours ago, RJames said:

I wish it explained what all the HVT weapons do. It’s kinda sad (but well balanced) that you can’t really make toooo much use of them.

There should have been NG+ option where you can use the NVT unlocks. Seems a real waste to have all these upgraded weapons unlocked and nothing to shoot on the empty map. Another indication of rushed/poorly planned design.

They also should have given the weapons basic stats at the very least so you could actually see what's different in the NVT unlocks beyond their paintjobs.

I found most of the vehicles completely pointless. The map is just too crowded with tress/rocks and full of dead ends/tight roads to make them enjoyable. Why Mongoose when you can Grapple? Again, really fucked balance.

41 minutes ago, Varsity said:

Also apart from the odd difficulty spike with bosses, Legendary is far too easy. 

Probably my biggest complaint. I'd usually do a good few Heroic runs to get familiar with a new Halo and not attempt Legendary until I was really confident that I could make a dent in it. In Infinite I quit my Heroic run and blazed through it on Legendary, only problem as you say was the bosses, but I'd put that more down to their shit design and tight environments.

Something else I noticed is every achievement I unlocked is a rare/diamond - I unlocked the achievements for killing every NVT, rescuing all marines,  liberating every FOB etc and they were all rare. Even the missions have a really low, say 12%, of completion. Is everyone just playing the MP or bouncing off the game early?

I found most of the vehicles completely pointless. The map is just too crowded with tress/rocks and full of dead ends/tight roads to make them enjoyable. Why Mongoose when you can Grapple? Again, really fucked balance.

I absolutely love rollin' deep with the boys in a Razorback. It's excellent fun.

Everything else can bolt. The Wasp is probably the most rubbish and boring vehicle in all of the Halo games, even worse than the gyrocopters in Halo 3.

Halo: Peaks & Troughs would be a good name for this.