IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

I'm enjoying this so far. It plays great, I love the grappling hook and I've already had some brilliant firefights. I'm yet to be sold on the open world though, as it's already making the game a little repetitive. Sometimes it feels like I'm playing the second level of CE on a loop.

I'm so conflicted by this game. I agree with all the criticism in this thread but tonight I did the dig mission and had an absolute blast. The boss can go fuck himself, but it was massively telegraphed there was about to be a boss fight so I went in armed with a rocket launcher which made it slightly easier. 

I'm playing this in bite sized chunks, maybe an hour at tops every day or two. I think that probably suits the nature of the game with its repetitive open world. I don't mind burning around the landscape cleaning up a couple of marked objectives even if that's all I do in an evening.  

Yeah the grenade and item selection interface is fucking terrible. Why it can't just cycle them on tapping left for grenades and right for items when there's only a few types I don't know. Or even just a hold down direction and select with the right stick in a radial.

26 minutes ago, Popo said:

No one is talking about the real crime Infinite commits - nesting 8 different items inside various combinations of d-pad button presses.

Am I supposed to commit them to memory? Am I supposed to be able to see those tiny tooltip icons from across my living room? 

And yet a useless torch has a button all to itself. 

I had the equipment memorised from about half way through. It certainly helps for some of the tougher areas where I wanted to switch between grapple and thruster. It felt really clumsy until that point though, for sure.

This latest Halo just doesn’t get firing for me;  the whole saga just feels played out now with another mystery faction (yawn) always revealed and the labyrinthine threads stretched to breaking trying to make sense of it all. The open world is bland and there’s too many tedious obsidian corridors. That loading jpg looked shit in MP; now they have the gall to repeat it for some reason in SP, at least I finally know what it is having dropped off a cliff. As has been said the select on the dpad is a mess and I randomly spam it to select.

The whole thing needs a radical gameplay rethink. 

8 hours ago, Popo said:

No one is talking about the real crime Infinite commits - nesting 8 different items inside various combinations of d-pad button presses.

Am I supposed to commit them to memory? Am I supposed to be able to see those tiny tooltip icons from across my living room? 

Yeah, it’s rubbish. I think I’ve mostly got them memorised (at least the power ups- the only grenade I have memorised is plasma). But it’s so awkward. I’m usually using my right thumb to change power while I keep moving with my left. 

It’s a real shame because I can see chaining grapple and boosts being great. I think I’d happily give up crouch on B to have boost on there instead. Crouching in this game is mostly pointless. Sometimes you can sprint up to enemies without them noticing you, at other times you’re crouched on a mountain a mile away and they start firing at you. 

@Pob

I loved that mission too. Like a fool, I restarted the mission following that one as I didn't have an appropriate load out, and I had to redo all 3 guns again.

This isnt a huge criticism as it's such a fun mission - but the route I used the 2nd time round was completely different, and I used different weapons. 

I even dealt with the hunters in a different way. I like that there are various strategies you can use. 

MGV nailed item selection. Hold the d-pad in the appropriate direction and use the right stick to select between eight items. Or just tap the d-pad to quick-select the most popular item in that menu (for Halo this would clearly be the grapple), or keep tapping the d-pad to cycle through them (so boost should come after grapple in the selection order so you can quickly change to boost when flying through the air). This would work even better in Halo than MGSV because there are only four things to choose between so you could also use the face buttons for selection when the d-pad is held (less chance or mis-selecting). 

At the very, very least the options should be arranged in a cross in the HUD so you don’t have to inspect them in detail when learning which thing is what direction. 

9 hours ago, Popo said:

Yes, I don’t really agree with a lot of the criticisms here - feels more criticism towards what it’s not rather than what’s actually there, which imo is mostly excellent…

But yes! The D-pad selection for items and grenades is SO SO BAD! 

My brain can basically cope with double tap grapple and tap right-left for barrier, but that’s it! 

Given that I can never remember which is right and which is left for items in Battlefield, I’m amazed that I managed to internalise all 8 things in Infinite so quickly. It’s probably the boss battles forcing me to do it over and over again. 

48 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

Grapple - RB

Boost - B

Threat Detector - Dpad Right

Shield Wall - Dpad Up

No flashlight or crouch.

This would work.

As noted above, at a very very bare minimum, the UI should be arranged in a natural cross mapping so you can glance at it and understand which direction is which.

Displaying the legend for a cardinal points control system with a horizontal UI is a very basic error.

10 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Remembering the various button inputs was like remembering MK Fatalities. Just ridiculous.

I never knew what grenade I'd be lobbing apart from the plasmas which I remembered. Pointlessly complicated and unnecessary.

😂

1 hour ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Remembering the various button inputs was like remembering MK Fatalities. Just ridiculous.

I never knew what grenade I'd be lobbing apart from the plasmas which I remembered. Pointlessly complicated and unnecessary.

It is crazy, especially as the behaviour of the grenades differs between each type. If I know I'm lobbing a plasma grenade then i'll throw it further than the frag grenade that rolls towards the target. The amount of times I've just lazily flopped out a plasma grenade that falls meters short of the target is....several. 

It's the only part of the combat loop I need to think about.

3 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Actually yes! You can redefine them all! 

Hah actually you can’t! Oh well! 

While this game is pure fun and one of my favs of the year, there’s so many weird “off” things! 

Why doesn’t  a charged P-pistol shot strip the entire shield of - sometimes - even blue Elites?! What the actual? 

It totally negates the point of charging it and moving to mid range if you can’t immediately follow up with a headshot from a Kinetic weapon! 

It makes the Plasma Carbine way, WAY more viable as it’s longer range, has homing and munches though shield quicker! 

The n00b combo is sacred and THE fun mechanic of the game. It’s not cool how it’s been done dirty here. 

I mean, it’s 50% percent a 10/10 game. The most fun was getting the high value targets. Plenty of combat options and a duck and dive boss encounter at the end. But I’ve done all the beacons, which were anticlimactic, an empty room, and now not that fussed about finishing it? How long is left? The problem with the screenshot, it’s beautiful and you think you have the whole world of freedom to explore, not an area the size and variety of the Brecon national park.

183BDFB0-FD5F-4B06-A616-07DF452EB936.png