IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

I think I'm a towards the end and the more I play of the non-open world campaign, the more I dislike it. So much of it is boring corridors, with the same mini-Boss enemies trotted out again and again. As mentioned, a lot of them involve going around and around a pillar, pointlessly. There's bits where you have to get Power Seeds and go into two identical corridors and kill exactly 6 sentinels which come out of the same holes in each identical corridor, and you just have to sit there and wonder why.

So many of the story missions just lead right into one another, too, so there's no option to go do something more interesting if you tire of 2+ hours of identical corridors.

Spoiler

The story is downright embarrassing. I keep forgetting the Pilot exists. Even after he got kidnapped I completely forgot about him until Cortana goes "make sure you save him!"

What? How is he different to the thousands of other disposable marines? I expect the Chief to just stare blankly at Escharum's threat of torturing the pilot and then immediately move onto doing something more important. This is Master Chief, ready to risk everything to save Earth, unable to even see beauty in a Halo ring ("all I see is a threat,") who's now apparently to risk... whatever is happening on this Halo... to save some schmuck whose name he don't even know.

And what is it with video game devs and spooky whispers in your ears? It's such a crap and played out trope but they can't seem to get enough of it.

7 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

So many of the story missions just lead right into one another, too, so there's no option to go do something more interesting if you tire of 2+ hours of identical corridors

They really should have signposted that point of no return when it dumps you into the final cycles of bosses and corridors. The pacing and structure is such a mess.

I know I've moaned too much in this thread and I'm sorry for the bad mood and if I spoiled anyone's fun. I'm just so deeply disappointed in this game, it's really bought me down. I wanted a meaty Christmas game and was convinced this would be a classic Halo. Massively disillusioned with gaming after this and all the positive reviews.

Tbf, just beat the post-AA bosses and played the next couple of FOBs and HVTs and it’s been really really fun.

Couldn’t beat the rocket HVT in 20 tries coming in carefully or in a ghost. In the end I switched to the Hammer and wrecked everyone. Was ace.

Those bosses were actually fine when I approached them more tactically.

Cloaked melee elites used to destroy me - now I’m just taking them out without using the tracker. I can definitely feel myself improve and it’s very satisfying.

Oh and I finally understand what you all mean by ‘power’ weapons/ammo - that star shaped symbol.

I do think it's an odd criticism to bemoan the lack of power weapon ammo. They are limited precisely because they are so good, and the idea is once you run out of ammo you swap them for any other of the plentiful weapons lying around, so they don't really "block" a slot.

1 hour ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Massively disillusioned with gaming after this and all the positive reviews.

I think you're a victim of your own expectations. Between the multiplayer and the campaign you were pretty sure that this was going to be the greatest game of all time. I've gone in with only expectations of wrecking some aliens halo style, and I am having an absolute ball. I haven't got to the end where you're funnelled through campaign missions but the open world is working so well for me. I see the sacrifices they've made with the lack of set pieces and different looks for the scenery, but I honestly don't care about that stuff too much. They've chosen to spend the time tuning up the open world to work as a halo game and I think they have done an incredible job with it. I've even enjoyed the bosses so far (though I can't say i'm looking forward to the boss rush at the end).

I thought I was out of the tunnel crap but I’ve actually been put on a bit of the outside where I can’t fast travel to anywhere on the main map so looks like I’m stuck with the linear bit of the story. 😐

Seems like the point of no return is waaaaaay sooner than I thought. 

2 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

I know I've moaned too much in this thread and I'm sorry for the bad mood and if I spoiled anyone's fun. I'm just so deeply disappointed in this game, it's really bought me down. I wanted a meaty Christmas game and was convinced this would be a classic Halo. Massively disillusioned with gaming after this and all the positive reviews.

I’m totally with you. I don’t want to stink up the thread with negativity either, but most people seem to be loving it so it can’t hurt to tip the balance a bit.

I think if this had come out in 2018, three years after Halo 5, I’m still not sure I would’ve liked it, but I would’ve been a lot more forgiving of it. As it stands, I can’t believe this is what they came up with after 6 years and all that Microsoft cash. You’re damn right my expectations were high with all that time and money spent. I mean, go back and watch that first reveal trailer from 2018 when they should’ve been three years into the project (so arguably at that point not a concept piece). It has so much promise. Weather systems, different biomes, an abundance of wildlife, mysterious writing on cave walls. They really gave the impression that this was going to be Halo on a truly massive scale.

Instead, we’ve been served another below par Halo campaign, hidden inside a much smaller open-world that doesn’t really serve any purpose other than allowing you to shoot more aliens in the face.

343 must have breathed a massive sigh of relief when they saw that Metascore come in. That same old dependable combat loop saved their asses. They got away with it. 

I think it's an interesting game in so many ways. Regardless of how you feel about how it all comes together it's fascinating to pick apart and wonder what decisions led to what in the finished work. You can sort of see the development process unfold in front of your eyes as you go through it.

Indeed. I don't think my expectations were unreasonable given the reveal, dev time and what the actual devs themselves had promised in even the weeks up to release - especially what they said about the day/night cycle, how Phantom ships would hunt you at night with searchlights etc. That was all very recent but absolutely not in the game. Reviews have completely overlooked this which I think is a massive disservice to both gaming and to journalism. Is the entire industry that much in 343/MS's pocket that no one can speak up?

23 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

I’m totally with you. I don’t want to stink up the thread with negativity either, but most people seem to be loving it so it can’t hurt to tip the balance a bit.

Nah, I think a bit of honesty is needed here, there were people absolutely trying to hype this up as a triumph, and I genuinely think if this had come out a year ago rough as shit the same people would have be doing the same thing, there were an awful lot of very defensive posts about the original unveiling and how mean everyone had been to get it delayed or whatever.

I think because so many gaming journalists grew up with Halo it got a very easy ride, a new game this barebones, would be getting absolutely slated.

I don't think that's fair to gaming journos. Regardless of what was "promised" it can only be judged on the finished work, and in that respect, for a good half of the game in my opinion, it provides some excellent sandbox fun. Judging a work on expectations alone is a critical dead end.

I

35 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

343 must have breathed a massive sigh of relief when they saw that Metascore come in. That same old dependable combat loop saved their asses. They got away with it. 

Ever get the feeling you've been cheated? It's the ultimate bait and switch. Promise everything and deliver the minimum.

I actually really liked what 343 had done before, especially H4. But with this they've completely lost me.

30 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Nah, I think a bit of honesty is needed here, there were people absolutely trying to hype this up as a triumph, and I genuinely think if this had come out a year ago rough as shit the same people would have be doing the same thing, there were an awful lot of very defensive posts about the original unveiling and how mean everyone had been to get it delayed or whatever.

I think because so many gaming journalists grew up with Halo it got a very easy ride, a new game this barebones, would be getting absolutely slated.

Yeah couldn't agree more, some people really made their minds up on this one in 2020 didn't they Johnny?

1 hour ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Indeed. I don't think my expectations were unreasonable given the reveal, dev time and what the actual devs themselves had promised in even the weeks up to release - especially what they said about the day/night cycle, how Phantom ships would hunt you at night with searchlights etc. That was all very recent but absolutely not in the game. Reviews have completely overlooked this which I think is a massive disservice to both gaming and to journalism. Is the entire industry that much in 343/MS's pocket that no one can speak up?

I do find it bizarre that so many reviews didn’t mention pretty basic things like the open world gets thrown out for what sounds like the last 25-30pc of the game and that the thing is riddled with boss fights. 

But then it’s not like Halo 5 was reviewed badly and that had a terrible campaign that was subsequently viewed as so awful that all the media outlets said Halo Infinite was a return to form.

One thing to consider is that 2021 has been a very weak year for outright AAA games. Halo 5 had the misfortune to come out in 2015, following Bloodborne, MGS5 and Witcher 3 - there’s been nothing of that calibre in the AAA space this year.

Which technically means Halo Infinite is this gen’s Shadow of Mordor, but that just makes me think how Halo would really suit a Nemesis system…

1 hour ago, Mystacon said:

They got away with it.

That’s putting things rather harshly. They’ve delivered - by most measures - their best Halo game yet.

It is absolutely right that this has to be put in context of the amount of time and money spent on the project - variety in the environments and major set pieces are conspicuous by their absence - but on balance what’s here is very, very good. 

Im really looking forward to the Edge review. Cant guess which way they’ll lean on it. It’s not a 10 - the question really is whether it’s a 9 or a 6. 

I’ve not really had chance to play this properly yet. I’ve only done the first couple of levels and made my way to the surface, but I can’t wait to see where I land on it when I’ve completed it.

What I’ve played so far I’ve really enjoyed, but I’m wondering if the gameplay is strong enough to see me through or if I’ll start to pick at it because of the lack of biomes, set pieces, etc and the way it’s structured.

I’m still really looking forward to getting stuck in, but I just want to get work out of the way first, so I can put some serious time to it.

Finished this off today. After the brilliant open world battles and discovery, I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a drop off in quality in a game in my life. The last fight in particular was total bullshit, I stubbornly refused to drop the difficulty down from Heroic as I wanted the achievement. 

51 minutes ago, Popo said:

That’s putting things rather harshly.

I agree, it does seem quite harsh, but I honestly believe that’s what they’ll be thinking. It’s quite obvious that somewhere along the line something went very wrong and they needed to scale back or maybe even scrap their original vision. It wouldn’t surprise me if they pretty much started from scratch a few years ago.

Like I said in my previous post, if this came out in 2018, three years after Halo 5, I’d be more inclined to turn a blind eye and just say it’s not for me, but here we are 6 years down the road and a rumoured $500 million dollars spent, and what we’ve ended up with, in my opinion, is a very average title.

10 minutes ago, Girth Certificate said:

I like how you get a wee chime when you unlock a door with a space car-battery, like you’ve solved some tricky puzzle. 

Wait until you get to the bit with

Spoiler

Two power seeds! Fiendish.

I've put a few more hours into this tonight, just roaming around the map, clearing outposts and so on, and it's been great fun. I've fully upgraded the hookshot now and am enjoying slamming into muthafuckers with a massive shockwave. I should probably go back to the story missions at some point soon and pace myself with the open world stuff, as I've only done a couple, but it's too much fun just blasting into enemy camps and unleashing chaos.

Question: according to the map there is a Spartan core at the top of the tower (or that's where the waypoint appears when you highlight it, anyway). I grappled all the way up there but could only find 

Spoiler

The Craig's Tour Easter egg, which was funny, and the secret skull. No Spartan Core, although it still appears on the map as being unfound.

Did I miss it? I went back inside the tower too with the big gravity lift, but it's not there. I've had a few bugs so far, so it could just be that.

So I finished the fight this morning. Really enjoyed the open world stuff but then I also greatly enjoy games like Crackdown.

As someone above mentioned towards the end the endless corridors took over, and many of them without a single enemy, just a constant 30 second trot between doors.