IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

52 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

But this is neutering an already threadbare experience even more - by not using the FOB services are you also not using the HVT weapon unlocks? Seems crazy to have to ignore a big part of the game to enhance what's remaining.

So I’m ignoring the FOBs for my first run through an area and then going and tackling them once I’m happy I’ve explored around it. 

That way I can load up a truck full of mates and go and mop up what I’ve missed. 

it’s fun. It makes the game better. I’ve got no idea why 343 didn’t just use the FOBs for weapon and vehicle unlocks and have waypoints click in once you’ve visited a place but there is a workaround and it does work to keep a bit of exploration in the game. 

Yeah, I mean it's no BOTW in terms of world design but it's perfectly explorable without the need for map markers. You can get up high real quick to get the lay of the land, and also zip from point to point very rapidly via the grapple. Stealing the binocular marking thing from BOTW might've been a good idea so there would be even less need to view the map screen. None of the things you find in the open world are necessary for progress, they're just nice bonuses and bits of emergent gameplay. Even the Spartan Cores seem plentiful enough that you'd likely get more than enough just by playing through the campaign and exhibiting a small amount of curiosity while going through the open world. They give off a noise when you get close and tend to be found at points of interest.

55 minutes ago, Pob said:

Maybe, I didn't even know they were there. Might come back to the FOBs once I feel like I've explored an area, but for now I feel like some of this stuff is surplus to requirements, and removes from the exploration and discovery aspect which I feel is a major part of what makes it feel like Halo.

Every HVT you kill unlocks a modified version of a regular weapon, these appear at the FOB and also the location where you killed him.

21 minutes ago, Nosejam said:

Holy shit the convergence shotgun you unlock (from a high value target I think?) is incredible, absolutely melting brutes with that. Insane!

Yeah that beast of a shotgun and the upgraded Pulse Carbine that you also unlock via the HVTs made for an incredibly potent combo that saw me carve a path of destruction through just about anything I ran into. Most of the super weapons you get from the HVTs are pretty monstrous.

I’m enjoying this a lot. But it’s not very memorable. If you asked me to describe where I am in the campaign and what I’ve done, I wouldn’t be able to. I’ve killed  stuff, done stuff, killed some bosses. But can’t recall any details. Not sure if I’m just getting old and forgetful.

I had a chat with a boy in my class who said he’d just started playing it. He said it was really slow. I don’t play modern shooters so don’t know what he’s comparing it to.

edit: I’ve played Doom Eternal (see, I forgot that) and so has he. So that makes sense now.

14 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

I’m enjoying this a lot. But it’s not very memorable. If you asked me to describe where I am in the campaign and what I’ve done, I wouldn’t be able to. I’ve killed  stuff, done stuff, killed some bosses. But can’t recall any details. Not sure if I’m just getting old and forgetful.

It's McDonalds' gaming for me. When I'm gorging on it, I'm really enjoying it. Afterwards and reflecting on it, it's all a bit underwhelming. I'm happy with that trade-off. 

So I've just hit the AA gun mission and it's kind of everything I wanted from Halo post Halo 2 and it's completely awesome and amazing. Here's 4 objectives in a big open area. Knock about, do them in any order with any weapons you can scavenge from anywhere, enjoy! I've been really liking the game up to this point but it's all felt a bit ODST. A bit "Here's a big open world leading to some corridors." Anyway, this is a mission actually set in the open world and it's one that I can see myself replaying over and over...

Whenever that becomes an option.  

44 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

I had a chat with a boy in my class who said he’d just started playing it. He said it was really slow. I don’t play modern shooters so don’t know what he’s comparing it to.

edit: I’ve played Doom Eternal (see, I forgot that) and so has he. So that makes sense now.

Doom Eternal does kind of make this look like a game for grandads. Which is funny because that's what Quake players would say about Halo multiplayer since time immemorial.

Enjoying the game itself. But the story delivery and dialogue is really mediocre. Hologram Villian just going on and on.

The pilot guy is one of the worst characters I’ve come across in a long time. Wish Master Chef would give him a slap.

I'm savouring this, playing in hour long chunks. I love it, it is what I've always wanted of Halo. There's definitely room for improvement but the sandbox is there now, and the fundamentals are really fun. I love having marines follow you and get involved. 

I haven't seen any banshees, hunters or wraiths yet. Assume they will come. Cannot wait to start flying.

I like the nonsense plot so far - I haven’t completed the campaign yet. I like picking up the audio logs and have found quite a few through just general exploring.  I like the weapon as well, she’s very endearing.

Some of the forerunner interiors do look very samey but it didn’t bother me in Halo 1 and it doesn’t bother me now.

I haven’t read any of the Halo novels but I do remember reading an excerpt from One that talked about how the UNSC had translator things built into helmets or something so they could understand what they were saying. I think of this when I hear the Grunts talking and accept it as canon so that all makes sense to me.

I wouldn’t mind seeing some of the brute pilots or scientists types. Everyone is a soldier but I’d like to have hit the bridge on the banished starship and seen a load of enemies there who were piloting and doing communications etc. Before murdering them, obviously.

The pilot is very whiney, especially when I think about just how many marines under my command have been shot, blown up, stabbed and disintegrated without even an eyebrow raised. So much so that I’m mildly surprised that Master Chief hasn’t just drop kicked him off the ring and flown the pelican himself.  

That said, most characters in Halo tend to be very brave, gung-ho types so it seems quite likely that they’d be at least one cowering fool. I suppose, if you think about it, the pilot probably knows just how many people who hang out with Master Chief survive (hardly any), he has every right to be terrified. I would be.

I’ve had some amazing moments that have happened organically. You don’t get the big set pieces from Halo 1-3 but you create more than enough of your own. Real lost like tears in rain stuff because they’re not going to be repeated.

Like the original games there’s plenty of challenges you can make yourself, like keeping a squad of marines alive for as long as possible - although in this case I can take my boys out in a razorback and then drive back to an FOB and leave them there, conscience in tact. I like doing that.

Despite the open world this definitely feels most similar to classic halo. 4 and 5, especially 4, felt like a Call of Duty campaign at times.

I’m playing through on Heroic and already looking forward to doing it on Legendary and thinking about how I’d approach things differently when I do.

I think this is the best Halo yet by today’s terms. The original trilogy is getting on a bit now so going back to them would feel like a step back. That said, I don’t think it’s as good as I thought Halo 3 was when that came out, if that makes sense.

TL;DR GOTY

Why do developers put in day/night cycles but are then too afraid to actually make it dark at night? I don't think I even notice the time changing anymore, apart from when I get sudden flashes of bright sunlight, which I assume is a glitch. 

On 10/12/2021 at 22:30, Pug said:

Had a weird thing happen, not sure if it was a glitch or not. There was a minute ship in the middle of an orangey pulsing globe in a quiet area.

Took an age to destroy and nothing happened afterwards. Leaning towards glitch.

I think I captured a video of it and will post it when I have a moment.

Here's what I was talking about...