IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

1 hour ago, Boothjan said:

I've just met the bosses

Reveal hidden contents

Hyperius and Tovarus

And I'm missing the straightforward fight that was Bassus. 

Christ, this bit is very very tricky on heroic but I'm being stubborn and refusing to take it down to normal.

I cheesed it by:

Spoiler

Nicking a ghost and killing the first one from miles away. Then I took the other one's shields out and he goes and sits on a platform with loads of energy coils stacked on it, which was pretty funny.

Since it was pointed out in this thread by many esteemed posters that the game would be better without the mission icons, I’m no longer able to overlook the rote, predictable way I’m ‘exploring’ the game world by driving straight to the next marker and checking it off my todo list. I really wish they weren’t there. 343 demonstrably know how to do this properly, because the game is full of eye-catching elements like coloured smoke to indicate marines that need to be rescued, superstructures that beg to be explored and debris trails that lead you to some kind of reward inside a downed Pelican. Exaggerate these to be more visible in the skyline, or mould the landscape to frame them more obviously and you really don’t need markers - BotW wrote the manual on this, it is entirely possible. 

It’s all somewhat compounded by the presence of mysterious forerunner structures and artefacts that do nothing - that just seem to exist as landmarks, but don’t reward curiosity. It’s hard not to mark the game down now, knowing how much more fun exploring Zeta Halo could have been. 

Just now, Popo said:

Since it was pointed out in this thread by many esteemed posters that the game would be better without the mission icons, I’m no longer able to overlook the rote, predictable way I’m ‘exploring’ the game world by driving straight to the next market and checking it off my todo list. I really wish they weren’t there. 343 demonstrably know how to do this properly, because the game is full of eye-catching elements like coloured smoke to indicate marines that need to be rescued, superstructures that beg to be explored and debris trails that lead you to some kind of reward inside a downed Pelican. Exaggerate these to be more visible in the skyline, or mould the landscape to frame them more obviously and you really don’t need markers - BotW wrote the manual on this, it is entirely possible. 

It’s all somewhat compounded by the presence of mysterious forerunner structures and artefacts that do nothing - that just seem to exist as landmarks, but don’t reward curiosity. It’s hard not to mark the game down now, knowing how much more fun exploring Zeta Halo could have been. 

Just ignore the FOBs and explore on foot/by eye. There's exploration there if you want it.

1 hour ago, BitterToad said:

Just ignore the FOBs and explore on foot/by eye. There's exploration there if you want it.

Yeah, just don’t bother opening the map. Do you even need to? My current mission is ‘investigate the dig site’. Pretty sure I can find that by myself, just like I couldn’t miss the fucking great tower that forms the location for the first Zeta Halo mission. 

On 13/12/2021 at 21:26, Benny said:

Also, never alt tab out. I have a 3060ti and it seems fine on Ultra with textures on High (and uninstalled hd textures) at 1440p ish. The open world seems to just eat texture memory so you want to be making sure you hit the "ideal" memory level in the options too. Also keep the minimum FPS setting on and at 60, maximum one at 60 or 120.

It's still running crap. Tried everything. It says it's hovering at 70/80, but it really doesn't feel like it, feels like 40/50.  It's like it's lying to me.  Micro stuttering, hitches...odd things happening, like taking an age to boot after I turned vsync off. ?!  This is with everything at High, not even Ultra.  

Tried the apparent 'fix' that says turn min frame rate to none and max to your monitor and no dice. Turned Xbox Game bar off, set to high performance mode.... Everything I do had no change whatsoever. An R5 3600 and a 3080 really should not struggle playing this at Ultra on a 21:9 3440*1440 on a 100hz monitor. It doesn't seem well optimized at all...

I've given up for now! 🥲. #pcgaming

This is such a weird game. In general I love it (playing on Heroic), the open world stuff, which I was worried about is a load of fun, and actually the amount of ammo around and the ability to call in things like Scorpions means that you can really play around with everything the sandbox has to offer. However the campaign seems to have a real split personality, the outdoor levels are great, but the indoor ones are just so weird. Endless corridors and empty rooms. There are points when I actually wonder if enemies are failing to load in because it just feels so empty, and then in some big rooms there will be like 3 grunts. There was on room I entered right near the end which is a big circular room that had 4 weapon racks around the outside and I'm expecting at any moment that enemies will rush in from the doors that are locked. Except they don't, it's just an empty room with more grenades in it than you can carry. And then the next room locks you out of going back, so what was the point? Maybe it's used on Legendary I have no idea.

I spoiler the rest as it's bit about later in the campaign

Spoiler

What's also weird is how the last 4(5?) campaign levels all suddenly run together with no option to get back to the open world.

I was pretty shocked when it went all Prison of Elders with those 'training rooms'. It's very weird as that should be really great to play with the Halo sandbox but I don't know I was just blown away by how stupid it seemed. I do wonder if they will recycle the idea for a firefight type idea, but as I say it just felt like they were riping off Prison of Elders but without the mines!

Also fuck the bosses, the last two are so cheap it's unbelivable, basically one shot kills, and Escharum has so much health and move so quickly. There is no fun in the fight at all. I'm now pretty stuck on the Harbinger can fuck right off with her homing electric things and continual teleporting all over the place, also 3 phases... really.....

I must admit that the end is souring the experience for me.

22 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

I must admit that the end is souring the experience for me.

Yeah the ending is a bit of a damp squib, especially plotwise.

Spoiler

All just stopping stuff that we've never seen and is entirely abstract, as opposed to say, stopping the Flood in Halo CE where we saw how dangerous they were first hand.

I'm sure originally there was supposed to be more open-world stuff in between some of the missions, on the map there's a mission location at the end of the Spine, a thing that gets mentioned a lot in audio logs and is hugely prominent, bisecting the gameworld, and it's clearly the thing with the beam Chief traveled through at the end of Halo 2, there's even a bit in the world that's there so you could get on it and ride the beam to the location, perhaps after activating it somewhere.

Spoiler

But instead that never happens and you just get teleported there in a cutscene.

In the story campaign when it mentions:

Spoiler

Nine spires or whatever (can't remember the exact number): it feels like the original intention was to have a truly vast world with nine spires dotted around. And for the entire map to be 9x as big as the released game as it stands now.

The story references them so much you know that in any other game that would have been the intention. I already know I'm near the latter part of the game though because I've found and upgraded nearly everything and there's not much left to actually do I think than finish the campaign.

There are more power cores on the map than you actually need for upgrades as well, which suggests to me that at some point things got scaled back so drastically they just left them all in on the current set of islands in the released game and reduced the number you needed to fully upgrade your armour.

So having played a large extent of the game now I maintain those first few hours are truly special, but the scale and ambition they had has been scaled back so massively it feels more like a taster of what could have been, rather than any lasting legacy. They could always iterate on it with new area DLC over time I suppose, as the core gameplay polish is genuinely excellent.

Yes, the honeymoon period wears off pretty hard after the first few hours. As for the upgrades:

Spoiler

It's really weird the Repulsor didn't make it into the campaign at all, especially as it's kind of the most "sandboxy" one in being able to reflect grenades, flip vehicles, boost your jumps, yeet enemies off of all those cliffs, etc.

Honestly its so good for a Halo campaign to receive mostly positive opinions. Look I like Halo 4 for the story but it did not quite have that spark. Probably to do with basically all the guns feeling the same or making each other redundant. And the Prometheans being boring as hell to fight. Shoot the floaty medic. Hammer the Knights until dead. Headshot the Crawlers who are Grunts without the hilarious panic and variety of weapons. Repeat forever.

I mean we had the DMR, BR which made each other redundant As where yes one is burst and the other is semi-auto they do the same job. Hell the Covie carbine from 2 was purely to be the Covie version of the BR but had the firing rate advantage, making the DMR just a slower version of that. There was no reason to have both... And then you bung in the Light Rifle which was the same bloody thing with the Tron filter on.

But hey it was 343 first game so growing pains it still managed to tell a fairly decent tragic and weird love story between a man and his weird hologram girlfriend.

Then Halo 5 happened.

So first we have the advertising campaign setting up Chief going AWOL and setting up this clash between him and Locke (and Eddie Buck is there too yay). I lapped that up with the audio drama and everything...for it all to culminate in a slap fight halfway through the game (and one Chief should have just won without breaking a sweat if we're going by book lore but that's another issue.

And then Cortana is back. I mean I suspected she would be so it wasn't that surprising. And making her the villain was an interesting concept...but CHRIST was it handled badly. She's basically unleashing the threat of genocide on the galaxy just so her boyfriend can have a relaxing retirement. Like...wow. Way to fuck over the last game's ending guys.

Cortana the ULTIMATE YANDERE.

Plus dear God Locke was a crap character. So was the rest of Osiris sans Buck (and possibly Vale's thighs). 

The Prometheans...still crap to fight. They tried to put in the soldier class to try and bring in that mid-tier level of enemy ala the Elite/Halo 3 Brute but just...crapper. Then they make the Knights now just weaker versions of the Hunters with none of the personality.

Now I won't go into detail on Infinite's story because spoilers but I think it's done well. It's got problems but it essentially kinda want a us to ignore the major points of Halo 5 and does a decent enough job of doing it, bringing in a new enemy type and rejigging old ones to make them interesting. 

Plus one of the top 5 grappling hooks in gaming.

So yeah I'm gonna say "well done" to 343 for finally doing a campaign on par with Bungie's best for a good chunk and no worse than their middling bits at worst.

6 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Yes, the honeymoon period wears off pretty hard after the first few hours. As for the upgrades:

Reveal hidden contents

It's really weird the Repulsor didn't make it into the campaign at all, especially as it's kind of the most "sandboxy" one in being able to reflect grenades, boost your jumps, yeet enemies off of all those cliffs, etc.

Yeah I'm genuinely baffled about that. I have literally a bag full of cores just waiting to be used for more upgrades. I've stopped collecting them now as it's not as much fun doing it when you don't have a goal in mind.

Korok seeds in BotW were obviously all over the place and you had more out there than you needed, so I guess it's a bit like that. But the crucial difference is they were not shown on the map until you found them, and literally every Korok seed had a little puzzle or was often fiendishly hidden so actually finding them did feel like an achievement.

3 minutes ago, Benny said:

So having played a large extent of the game now I maintain those first few hours are truly special, but the scale and ambition they had has been scaled back so massively it feels more like a taster of what could have been, rather than any lasting legacy. They could always iterate on it with new area DLC over time I suppose, as the core gameplay polish is genuinely excellent.

This is a fair assessment. I really thought Halo was back in a big way until it started to sag and never picked up again. Because of its lack of variety and basic simplicity you just end up being more and more critical of it. The last couple of hours were the worst in the series' history. Awful. We know that 343 can design great Halo levels from the amazing  Reclaimer in Halo 4, but  just don't know what happened here.

I would rank them:

Halo CE

Halo 3

Reach

ODST

Halo 4

Halo 2

Infinite

Halo 5

I wonder why there's no Firefight in this? The game is pretty much Firefight anyway, but it would've been a welcome mode to have some zoned areas with challenge waves.

Definitely don't feel like playing it again to collect the remaining Skulls, mainly because of the bosses. Usually with a new Halo I play it on loop and never really stop, but this one already feels totally dead to me. Without the big memorable set pieces and epic battles the entire game just feels like a blur of the same thing, punctuated with those brutally frustrating boss battles.

I got stuck into having a wander about the open world last night and all very enjoyable.

But I had an observation that I’ve not really seen repeated anywhere else, which I find quite perplexing - and that is, it’s Destiny isn’t it? The open world bit of Halo Infinite feels just like playing Destiny to me.

It’s not just the semi open world, it’s the generous ammo refills, the special targets with names and extra health/shields. Even the grapple hook is just really adding into Halo the increased mobility that all the Destiny classes have with their super jumps etc.

I don’t necessarily have a problem with this - Destiny without all the loot/metagame guff is definitely an attractive prospect if done right. But it also makes me think it’s a shame that Bungie have made Destiny so aggressively impenetrable and unfriendly to new players, as the core fundamentals of that game are as good if not better as what we see in Halo Infinite. And they’re coupled with much more imaginative world and art design.

I really liked the Onyx setting in Halo 4, it had some genuinely fresh sci-fi imagery rather than the same old Forerunner buildings. Would have been a good location to re-use for something like this. The Ark from Halo 3 was sorely under-used as well.

I know they all ultimately boil down to lush landscapes with mad alien structures dotted about, but those two really captured my imagination the same way the original Halo did.

1 hour ago, Uncle Nasty said:

I wonder why there's no Firefight in this? The game is pretty much Firefight anyway, but it would've been a welcome mode to have some zoned areas with challenge waves.

Same reason there's no co-op, no Forge, only one biome, multiplayer is fairly bare bones in terms of maps and stuff in the launch trailer is nowhere to be seen. They scrapped two thirds of what was meant to be in the game in 2019 and had to hastily cobble something together from the detritus. The crazy thing is if this had released in 2020 as intended we'd have essentially have been getting a game that had been developed in one year and during a pandemic to boot. I'm super curious just what it would have been like.

This must have some drop-off in the second half because every play session I've had so far has been brilliant, in particular when I've just been exploring the open world, sans map, poking around nooks and crannies and getting involved in fire-fights. Sometimes I'm grappling around mountain sides on my own, inspecting the horizon for things of interest and chancing across power weapons or HVTs. Sometimes I'm wading into fights to save marines, racing against time to take out the enemies and scrabbling for  effective weapons before too many of them die. Sometimes I'm bouncing around the terrain in a fully-loaded Razorback, destroying banished checkpoints before they even know what's happening. Sometimes I'm scoping out huge banished bases from on-high with a team of sniper-equipped marines. The score seems to kick in at just the right time, tailored to what you're doing. I love the 'floating chunks of Halo installation in space' setting - it looks brilliant and makes for a perfect open world play area.

It's basically exactly what I've always wanted from a Halo game - the best bits of the early games preserved, but with carefully-selected enhancements that really elevate the experience. It's been chock-full of memorable one-off events and moments of wonder that only Halo can provide.

Once again, I can highly recommend ignoring the map and navigating by sight and sound alone, and also avoid using the ammo refills and FOB services if you want to recapture that scavenger feel from the earlier games, and be forced to mix it up.

1 minute ago, Pob said:

Once again, I can highly recommend ignoring the map and navigating by sight and sound alone, and also avoid using the ammo refills and FOB services if you want to recapture that scavenger feel from the earlier games, and be forced to mix it up.

But this is neutering an already threadbare experience even more - by not using the FOB services are you also not using the HVT weapon unlocks? Seems crazy to have to ignore a big part of the game to enhance what's remaining.

4 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

But this is neutering an already threadbare experience even more - by not using the FOB services are you also not using the HVT weapon unlocks? Seems crazy to have to ignore a big part of the game to enhance what's remaining.

Maybe, I didn't even know they were there. Might come back to the FOBs once I feel like I've explored an area, but for now I feel like some of this stuff is surplus to requirements, and removes from the exploration and discovery aspect which I feel is a major part of what makes it feel like Halo.

I’ve had great fun finding hidden secrets etc.. by setting a waypoint to a collectible and then the random stuff that happens when I get there. Like an Elite flying a Banshee and nicking it off him, and then seeing a crack in a mountain which I could fly down into a cave full of enemies.