Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

One thing that this makes crystal clear is the work BotW put into making the world guide you. Nintendo knew how to put interesting things on the horizon to guide you about from activity to activity without ever needing an icon, always having a sight line to something interesting.  Here they are sprinkled over a map without a thought. So you just end up choosing from the map, then going in a straight line to them. Never distracted by something else.  That’s a unfair comparison because I’m talking about the GOAT, and how could it compare. But still. 

that said, the core gameplay loop is still brilliant. Huge, huge fun. 

Just now, HarryBizzle said:

It was a real struggle to not punch my face as hard as I possibly could when the multi-million dollar, state of the art, AI hologram looked at a Banshee and went "gee mister, what are those things?"

And yet, I'd still prefer to play this than anything David Cage has made.

(I'm not sure why I'm ragging on him so much at the moment, but seriously - the man makes my skin crawl).

3 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

It was a real struggle to not punch my face as hard as I possibly could when the multi-million dollar, state of the art, AI hologram looked at a Banshee and went "gee mister, what are those things?"

Isn't the whole point of her character that she's naive and doesn't remember anything? ...she was an AI solely built to destroy Cortana - or something - and is almost a child-like version of Cortana? That isn't bad writing, that's more looking for any tenuous excuse to dislike a thing. 

14 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Isn't the whole point of her character that she's naive and doesn't remember anything? ...she was an AI solely built to destroy Cortana - or something - and is almost a child-like version of Cortana? That isn't bad writing, that's more looking for any tenuous excuse to dislike a thing. 

It is bad, embarrassing and borderline offensive writing to have your innocent and defenseless AI waifu stroke your ego and go "you'll save us.. won't you Chief?" (🤮) as an accompaniment to your male power fantasy.

18 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

How do you unlock the tank? I’ve only just unlocked the second Warthog type and I’m further than Benny. 

Maybe I should stop doing story missions. 

Better get rescuing them Marines, soldier.

Just now, Benny said:

After losing my first one in a tragic accident, my gameplay progression basically consisted of: "how I unlock tank?", then everything I did from then on was of course in service of doing that :lol:

Ha, that's the genius of a good open world game. Player-set long term goals.

The fact that very little gets saved when you exit the game is bumming me out a bit. I like the idea of taking a rag-tag bunch of marines and a bashed-up Razorback as far as I can, but you lose it all when you save and exit. So I'd be reliant on Quick Resume to keep everything, which means no playing multiplayer.

Yes that's the main part I find annoying. If I want a truly epic journey with a team I have to make sure I fit it all into one session. So I settle for short term escapades with Jools, Jops and Stu eventually meeting their ends perhaps a little more quickly than they would have liked... Especially Stu

6 minutes ago, Benny said:

Yes that's the main part I find annoying. If I want a truly epic journey with a team I have to make sure I fit it all into one session. So I settle for short term escapades with Jools, Jops and Stu eventually meeting their ends perhaps a little more quickly than they would have liked... Especially Stu

I like to think that my troop gets airlifted to safety when the Chief has to rest to recharge his batteries.

6 minutes ago, Girth Certificate said:

That's the crazy thing. Millions of dollars in character modelling and voice acting and the marines still mean fuckall compared to the first few named soldiers in Cannon Fodder. 

Metal Gear Solid 5 did that Cannon Fodder-type thing brilliantly with the whole recruitment system. 

God that is a great game. I know it wouldn’t make sense for Master Chief to go around capturing Elites by balloon to add to his army but on the other hand it would be amazing. 

I got my first tank today and was very disappointed that you can't have 4 marines perch on the treads like in previous games. Great fun, though. I did one of those bases where you have to blow up the silos, which I did from about a mile away, before they had a chance to lower them.

I do really like how it has indoor bits, and I really enjoy those, and then when I get back outside I really appreciate that all over again too. It’s a good dynamic. 

Some of my favourite fights have been assisting the squads out in the field, I hope they expand on that much more, both in size and scale and using different environments. 

I just love how robust the combat and game play mechanics are, still after twenty years there’s nothing like it IMO. 

Finished the campaign and all the side quests. Really loved it and in my top 5 of the year. The gameplay was just sublime and I was always having fun, the most important thing in games. 

Although I honestly would have preferred seperate levels over the open world

That's why I said earlier in the thread when the campaign first came out "is anyone moaning about the open world yet?". Because I honestly thought that is going to be the main factor people bitch about. 

1 hour ago, Boothjan said:

I've just met the bosses

Reveal hidden contents

Hyperius and Tovarus

And I'm missing the straightforward fight that was Bassus. 

Christ, this bit is very very tricky on heroic but I'm being stubborn and refusing to take it down to normal.

Spoiler

The crashed ship in the middle of the area is helpful for that one…

@Boothjan

Spoiler

There are power weapons in the level. Search them and use them.

Don't try to fight them from distance. Upgrade your shield and grapple and close the distance. Get in as close as you can being aware of splash damage.

Weaken their shields with power weapons then get in close with the grapple hook's shock attack. You'll get into a rhythm with it. destroy shields, attach grapple, melee/shock attack. Takes a few hits to take them down once their shield is weakened. Be aware that their shields recharge if you let them take cover.

You get a checkpoint when one of the is dead. So try not to panic. The fight is best taken methodically and calmly.

They are real cunts though.

I managed to get across to the island opposite the start area by heading high and grappling across as I wanted to get the target over there. 

Took the target down and on the way back I came across my first pair of hunters. Totally cheesed them with a ghost.