IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

I shite myself when I hear the drop ship noise - it's like the martians from Tom Cruise's war of the worlds.  A really scary noise.

I can't agree that there aren't epic moments.  I've had some great epic combat moments in this game, the kind that you only get in a good Halo game.... and @Pob is right, there are few games when you have fun even when you die.

and the baddie patter is genuinely funny in places.

Maybe it'll evolve over time.  I'm looking forward to playing this on couch co-op when it appears.  I imagine it's also rife for some hefty campaign world based DLC over the course of the next wee while...  It is called Halo Infinite after all.

Not that far into my Legendary run (just done my first bits in the open world) but I adore the combat so far. It's really damn good and the Grappleshot is a gamechanger for me. Whether you want to grab a weapon from cover, quickly escape from a dire situation, stun and melee Jackals, or climb to new vantage spots: it adds a ton to the gameplay loop. Only done one boss so far, but he didn't feel unfair or spongy. I kept one of those Skwer guns with me and those things melted his shields. 
Also: the Grunt lines are fantastic. Era has an entire thread about them:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/so-imo-halo-infinite-has-one-of-the-best-enemy-dialogue-of-all-halo-games-especially-the-grunts-show-your-favorite.526729/

Will it challenge Returnal as my GotY? Probably not as that game has it all, including a killer atmosphere and intruiging narrative, but I'm really enjoying myself with Infinite so far. Just took out a cloaked Elite and now I have his sword and one of those fancy Sunbeam shotguns or whatever they're called. Good stuff.

1 minute ago, scottcr said:

I shite myself when I hear the drop ship noise - it's like the martians from Tom Cruise's war of the worlds.  A really scary noise.

I can't agree that there aren't epic moments.  I've had some great epic combat moments in this game, the kind that you only get in a good Halo game.... and @Pob is right, there are few games when you have fun even when you die.

and the baddie patter is genuinely funny in places.

Maybe it'll evolve over time.  I'm looking forward to playing this on couch co-op when it appears.  I imagine it's also rife for some hefty campaign world based DLC over the course of the next wee while... 

Totally agree with this.  I also think there will be stuff added to the campaign in future - they have nailed the basics of this, which were the things I was really hoping they would get right.  I just think we've more to come.

The writing in this is awful. I think they've kind of tried to do a Horizon: Zero Dawn thing with the audio logs, but it doesn't work at all. They're all terrible. I think one of them was a Brute monologuing about going for a walk at night and then shouting at the Gods or something. Am I supposed to care about the UNSC ones? Why would I, when they just blither on about how terrible a fight I don't know anything about was, and Chief hasn't even had a single conversation with the hoards of UNSC marines he's saved. Clearly, everyone interesting is dead.

I've been playing for hours and am none the wiser as to why the UNSC and Banished are interested in this ring, or what the Banished are after specifically. Everyone is avoiding mentioning anything about it to the point it becomes conspicuous and forced. Meanwhile, our buddy Echo-216's amateur dramatics are getting increasingly embarrassing.

And they try building suspense by your devoid of emotion protagonist telling you something's different on this ring, because he can feel it in his bones!

F40F9435-0E62-4FE6-982A-B92E6E483ACE.thumb.png.9643d28a20a574f35bc1f5489f33a7a8.png

I found this area last night, which seems to be based on the teaser trailer, although the scale is obviously a lot smaller. I love the idea of this game, but the exploration element is curtailed a bit by the world being quite small, movement being extremely fast, and everywhere looking pretty much the same. 

Despite being open world the areas themselves feel a lot smaller and less interesting than properly designed linear levels. You don't get any of those situations where you think, can I really squeeze this Ghost through that gap and get into the next area, completely changing the way it plays out? Or can I really force this Scorpion tank into that space and wipe out the enemies with it? It feels like a lot is missing beyond the base combat.

343 really took that 30 seconds of fun concept a bit too literally. It was never meant to be the same 30 seconds of fun throughout the entire damn game.

5 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Despite being open world the areas themselves feel a lot smaller and less interesting than properly designed linear levels. You don't get any of those situations where you think, can I really squeeze this Ghost through that gap and get into the next area, completely changing the way it plays out? Or can I really force this Scorpion tank into that space and wipe out the enemies with it? It feels like a lot is missing beyond the base combat.

343 really took that 30 seconds of fun concept a bit too literally. It was never meant to be the same 30 seconds of fun throughout the entire damn game.

I've had several areas where I've forced a tank down where it doesn't look like it can normally go and it's been pretty fun to do so. I have a clip for that somewhere even which was the funniest thing that's happed to me yet but I'll have to upload it...

I'm not sure what kind of game you're playing but it's only the same 30 seconds of fun if you play it the same way every time. The actual game part is amazing, it's just the open world that is lacking.

I mean, 30 seconds of fun, yesterday:

11 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

I don't know about that. I played through a base area last night to open up the Nexus where they drop in a couple of hunters and then after crossing a bridge some high level elites etc. First time I did it on my lonesome and had some tense standoffs. Unfortunately I didn't realise that it didn't do a save (only a checkpoint) and I stopped and quit it, so I had to do it again. Next time I grabbed a Scorpion from the FOB and took a few marines with me and just wrecked it up. Was completely different both times, and both were brilliant fun.

42 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

The writing in this is awful. I think they've kind of tried to do a Horizon: Zero Dawn thing with the audio logs, but it doesn't work at all. They're all terrible. I think one of them was a Brute monologuing about going for a walk at night and then shouting at the Gods or something. Am I supposed to care about the UNSC ones? Why would I, when they just blither on about how terrible a fight I don't know anything about was, and Chief hasn't even had a single conversation with the hoards of UNSC marines he's saved. Clearly, everyone interesting is dead.

I've been playing for hours and am none the wiser as to why the UNSC and Banished are interested in this ring, or what the Banished are after specifically. Everyone is avoiding mentioning anything about it to the point it becomes conspicuous and forced. Meanwhile, our buddy Echo-216's amateur dramatics are getting increasingly embarrassing.

And they try building suspense by your devoid of emotion protagonist telling you something's different on this ring, because he can feel it in his bones!

100pc agree. And the bad writing does

filter through to the experience, no matter how many people like to claim that it doesn’t. 

It’s not about Halo needing an Oscar winning story, it’s the difference between Halo CE giving you a 15-20 minute tutorial opening level on a spaceship and then letting you rip with the real thing and Halo Infinite’s prologue being at least an hour long before it gets to the game’s open world USP. 

Why are there two boring indoor levels before getting to the actual Halo? What’s the actual thought process behind that? 

The grapple is obviously great, but all the other powers might as well not be in the game. The way you access them is just awkward and usually not worth the effort. I’ve upgraded the boost so there’s two charges and you go further but it still feels utterly pointless. 

A drop wall is incredibly boring, as are the threat sensor and a shield boost. 

Just give me a wingsuit, already. 

15 minutes ago, Girth Certificate said:

Do marine squads respawn where you rescued them or do they die for good? I've got 4 dudes with decent weapons but they got themselves trapped halfway down some pillars like a bunch of fannies.

giphy.gif

They're not coming back.

I'm going through on Legendary and picking up the skulls from missions that I missed, and I really can't see myself going back to this game much.

Going back with fresh eyes really emphasises the copy+paste even more, I think there's only one unique room in each mission. Even Halo CE wasn't that bad and that was put together by 18 dudes in seven months.

343 aren't an underdog, they're a massive studio given a blank cheque by one of the richest companies in the world and a whole generation length to produce their vision and they come up with this? If people didn't have affinity for the franchise they'd be ripping into this.

1 hour ago, metallicfrodo said:

I've had this happen. Trying quitting the game fully. If that doesn't work do a full power cycle of the Xbox.

I logged in and out my tag and seemed to work fine. Cheers. 

I've played every Halo game and honestly can't even remember anything about the story, other than Master Chief done a murder on loads of aliens and  has a rebound computer girlfriend after the last one RROD'd.

I generally dip into the campaign for half an hour, sling a Razorback full of laser-pals over a cliff and then tear around the base running over Bebop and Rocksteady. On those terms, which I can safely state are the only ones that matter, it's the best Halo ever. Let the bean-counters worry about how much the whole thing cost.

54 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

I'm going through on Legendary and picking up the skulls from missions that I missed, and I really can't see myself going back to this game much.

Going back with fresh eyes really emphasises the copy+paste even more, I think there's only one unique room in each mission. Even Halo CE wasn't that bad and that was put together by 18 dudes in seven months.

343 aren't an underdog, they're a massive studio given a blank cheque by one of the richest companies in the world and a whole generation length to produce their vision and they come up with this? If people didn't have affinity for the franchise they'd be ripping into this.

Why are you replaying it? If you aren't enjoying yourself then why bother?