IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

4 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Jesus wept the bosses in this. The worst addition they could have made. An absolute guarantee that I’ll never play through this ever again. 

I've honestly found the bosses pretty good. At least on normal, though the guy in the drill was a bit of a bastard at first. 

I’ve had something funny happen here that is a first for me. I can’t be arsed to play the campaign. I am rinsing multiplayer but for whatever reason I find the campaign boring. Anyone else? I think it’s the stupid weapon dialogue. But I am not sure. Maybe it’s the mood. 

53 minutes ago, Minion said:

Mine was running solid 60 fps at 4k but it was also pushing my card to just beyond what I was comfortable with so I reduced the resolution slider to 1447p (why don;t they let you set a res????) and it now performs at reasonable levels without running my fans high to keep it stable. It's doesn't seem optimised well at all.

I found what the problem is I think: when you transition from an interior to the open world the v-sync seems to get confused and then doesn't match the 60fps lock. So it feels like it's slowdown no matter how powerful your card is. Disabling v-sync makes it go away in exchange for massive screen tearing and in my case 100% gfx load with a fixed screen for a few seconds. It's definitely broken at times. Really bad port.

Multiplayer has been fine though, but those are fixed maps.

3 minutes ago, Benny said:

I found what the problem is I think: when you transition from an interior to the open world the v-sync seems to get confused and then doesn't match the 60fps lock. So it feels like it's slowdown no matter how powerful your card is. Disabling v-sync makes it go away in exchange for massive screen tearing and in my case 100% gfx load with a fixed screen for a few seconds. It's definitely broken at times. Really bad port.

Multiplayer has been fine though, but those are fixed maps.

Hmm, that's the thing I didn't get fps drops, I was monitoring with afterburner and it was a solid 60, it was just my card was going above 65 degrees and the memory temp in hwinfo was 90 which i wasn't happy with, I don't like to overwork my equipment I prefer to keep it stable so I reduced the resolution, similar to Cyberpunk I played that in 1440p as 4k was stressing the card and honestly 1440p looks great too!

I've been savouring this, only playing for half an hour or so here and there, but enjoying it a lot. I've just taken the second boss down on my third go 

Spoiler

(the elite who turns invisible)

and thought it was a good battle, having to use the sensor attachment and avoid his diving energy sword attacks. I'm playing on Heroic and it's enjoyably intense so far.

Good stuff.

All the cutscenes with him are just dire. He's just saying the same things over and over again. And if you pick up the audio logs it's just even more of the same thing, even repeating himself in the same sentence. "Imma coming for ya Master Chef!" Endlessly.

8 hours ago, Benny said:

Count yourself lucky you're not playing the PC version. It's actually quite a bad port with random framerate drops all over the place even on top end hardware. It's basically an engine problem I think. Though I did find removing the high res texture pack helped, as it seems they didn't bother optimising it so it causes lots of stuttering.

joys of an "amd sponsord" game...eurgh..

and it seems like theyve done the exact same bullshit they did with farcry "oh look only our cards can use theses super res textures hur hur hur"...even though they dont look very good and are just huge ...

honestly, to use them on the pc version, is just ridiculous, there are more 3070's than anything amd on the steam chart ffs!

ive found it a right mess to play, drops in random places, for no reason, other than ,its the same buklshit as every other amd game running on nvidia hardware, clearly gimped, and never mind the "frame rate lock" options...ffs,....if i dont set my monitors refresh rater, it wont even let me choose 60!??!

worse, is when you know DLSS would make this amazing!...and...there are more dlss capable cards (22%), than everything of amd together?!! (15%)

6 minutes ago, Benny said:

All the cutscenes with him are just dire. He's just saying the same things over and over again. And if you pick up the audio logs it's just even more of the same thing, even repeating himself in the same sentence. "Imma coming for ya Master Chef!" Endlessly.

It’s like he was inspired by Tazerface from Guardians Of The Galaxy 2. 

Quite early on and got to a bit where there was steam everywhere in an area like something out of Alien, with grunts and baddies popping pit of the fog. Looked amazing.

Enjoying the bosses in this a lot too. Not really found anything to criticise yet, but hearing people complain about the non moving trees has made me notice that. Apart from that though, most fun game I’ve played all year.

6 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Jesus wept the bosses in this. The worst addition they could have made. An absolute guarantee that I’ll never play through this ever again. 

Yeah i hated the bosses, especially the end of the campaign where they seemed to come thick and fast and one of them was built up but seems almost like they kept him in without actually much reason - another boss coming straight after.

CE had a fair amount of repetition in terms of level design and re-use as this did but the bosses seemed like such a grind.

Especially when you have encounters like the hunters - some of which i found okay and others i really struggled with- getting onto their backs with 2 inplay seems like less of a tactic in this - though i did manage it at times, they seemed quicker than me most of the time.

I don't know how people find matchmaking times, i wish i could play solo while matchmaking was happening just jump in and out on the open world campaign stuff.

I enjoyed this, my master chief is very focused on the current objectives (and so haven't just gone exploring much) and the grappling hook makes this playable in such a different way to multiplayer in a way that is even more significant than other halos.

I think they had words with Ninja Theory about some of the sound design in this. The way they've implemented the voices in the Chief's head is very similar in the way they thrown the audio around - it's really good.

In fact, the audio in general is fantastic.

10 hours ago, Uncle Nasty said:

They’re so uneven. The first couple are just Destiny style ballet sponges, except you’re on your own and don’t have a Super. The robot one is like a crap Zelda boss that feels very Halo 5, and then there’s the pair of “Spartan Hunters” which are like the High Value Targets except because they’re BOSSES you can’t just splat them with a ghost. 

None of them are good, but all feel like they’re from different games. I think this is what you get when you have a team that wants their game to be all things to all Halo fans. 

20 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

They’re so uneven. The first couple are just Destiny style ballet sponges, except you’re on your own and don’t have a Super. The robot one is like a crap Zelda boss that feels very Halo 5, and then there’s the pair of “Spartan Hunters” which are like the High Value Targets except because they’re BOSSES you can’t just splat them with a ghost. 

None of them are good, but all feel like they’re from different games. I think this is what you get when you have a team that wants their game to be all things to all Halo fans. 

Which Halo fans wanted more bosses in the series?

I quite enjoy finding the named enemies on the map and then taking it to them.... had an epic battle with a Brute Chieftan yesterday that took me best part of 2 hours to finally do, but when I did, it was awesome.  

I stumbled upon another place where it turned out there were a whole bunch of UNSC captured, all guarded by Brute Chiefs... sneaked in, some cheeky shots to get rid of the snipers - then opened the gates and got my Warthog and buddies in to wreck havoc.  

The gunplay is the best I think it's been, and the grapple shot when it's upgraded is a great addition.

I heard it described as Breath of the Halo - tbf, it's more Halo-rim or Sky-Halo.  The world, when you're not fighting, isn't very interesting and there isn't a lot of variation or colour.  

That was a bit spoilery @HarryBizzleso I won't quote you in case you do an edit. But I think as well as being uneven, the bosses are just such a non-event. When I think about something like Borderlands 3, where the bosses are introduced like they're stars in a movie and all have their own very distinctive designs and patterns, it makes the efforts in Infinite look even weaker. In general Borderlands 3 completely shames Infinite in every regard. Look at the effort that went into Borderlands 3 compared to what 343 shrugged out of the door. It's pathetic.

There is definitely a boss encounter designed for two or more players due to it being a completely unbalanced and unfair fight solo, but oops that wasn't ready for launch.

Agree with @carlospiethat the opening was by far the strongest section of the game. Really impressive design and visually stunning.

I'm hearing a lot that 343 wanted this to be their Breath Of The Wild but they had to scale it back. Well, no shit. At art school I wanted to be the next Caravaggio but I had to scale that back as well.

I seriously can't believe that there are no epic Halo moments in this. No massive standoffs like the battles between the Cov and Flood where you steal a Banshee and rain hell down on them from above. Nothing even close to the beach landing. I don't feel like I'm taking part in an epic sci-fi space opera and war at all. It's so mundane and unimaginative.

If I was reviewing this for EDGE, I'd have to be in an extremely generous mood to score it above a 5/10. ODST and Halo 4 are far better Halos than this.

2 hours ago, scottcr said:

I stumbled upon another place where it turned out there were a whole bunch of UNSC captured, all guarded by Brute Chiefs... sneaked in, some cheeky shots to get rid of the snipers - then opened the gates and got my Warthog and buddies in to wreck havoc.  

Yes! I did this last night and it really brought home why, for me, open-world is Halo's natural state.

I rolled up to the front gate of this fortress in my Razorback loaded with marines, toting rocket launchers, skewers and a ravager ready to wreak havok. But we couldn't get in. So I had to grapple over the wall and had a tense few minutes fighting off the nearby enemies, just enough so I could get to the door controls without getting cut down. It was like that bit in Return of the Jedi when Han's commando squad are trying to open the door to the shield generator on Endor. I found a safe little corridor next to the door and exchanged potshots and grenades until I was confident the coast was clear. I wasn't particularly well equipped (plasma pistol and brute hammer) but I made it work. It felt like a real achievement when I finally got the ginormous gate to open up, then as a reward stormed the base with my buddies all packed back into the Razorback. To be honest the Brute Chieftans inside still gave us a lot of grief, but it was just so fun. We drove around freeing more marines, who went off and grabbed themselves guns, and by the end there were loads of us. The way I was positioning the razorback and letting the rockets and plasma fly across the base into enemy positions - it kind of felt like an RTS.

It reminded me that, around the time of Halo 3, this is what I always wanted Halo to evolve into. A wide open space with skirmishes happening all over that you can join in with in a totally freeform fashion. Covenant encampments that I can approach however I want, or not at all. Rolling terrain to actually navigate across in the Warthog. I've also realised Halo is a series where the more I die, the better time I'm having. I can't think of any other game like that!

I can recommend ignoring the ammo refills and FOB weapon lockers. Just pretend it's one of those things where you go "I was 80 hours into Halo Infinite before I realised what those glowing things were for!" I did it last night and it felt more like the Halo of old, where you're forced to frequently switch between half-empty weapons and adapt them to whatever situation you find yourself in. I didn't even have a battle rifle for most of last night's session.

I really like the bosses! They make you change up how you're approaching the combat. I bloody hate the drop ships though. You can properly case out an area and work out what you're doing, go through and enact your plan perfectly, and then because all of the cover is only really chest high you just get wiped out (on heroic) from any angle. I know they were in the old games but they always felt scripted and these feel far more aggressive.