IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

10 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

I've managed to squash 3 marines at once with a vehicle drop.  Can anyone beat that?  (A bit gutted the announcer dude didn't shout 'TRIPLE KILL!' when it happened TBQH)

Challenge accepted. If I manage it I'll record a clip...

1 hour ago, K said:

This is such a weird mix of super-polished, and a bit shoddy. Like, when an aircraft hovers close to the ground, the grass and vegetation gets flattened and blows around in the downdraft, and it looks fantastic. But at the same time, the trees are absolutely rigid, the branches not moving an iota, even if you drive a warthog into one. The vehicles leave burnt-rubber tiretracks all the time as if you're spinning the wheels on tarmac, on any material, even dust and mud. Bullet holes start fading away into nothing as soon as they appear. 

It looks stunning at the right moments, but a lot of the time, the little details puncture the illusion.

The worst shoddiness for me is the mixture of frame rates, playing on a Series S. I don't mind it dropping slightly at times but I really dislike the fixed 30fps stuff like the animations in cutscenes and switching weapons. It looks awful. I'm guessing it's remnants from the last gen version. 

Anyway, I'm really enjoying this game but, to continue my complaints about the last gen version, I really wish they had ramped up the more hectic encounters and gotten rid of the bosses. The bosses are really shit. I'm guessing they were limited on making the larger encounters too crazy due to last gen limitations. 

3 hours ago, pinholestar said:

Like many open-world games it requires you to figure out how to maximise your enjoyment of what it has to offer. I quickly realised that ignoring the FOBs when I first encountered them created a sense of reward for exploration and discovery because I had to actively seek out the upgrades and collectibles rather than just mindlessly ping between points on the map.

You're right, this is quite a common issue with very open games. I made a thread a while back about self-imposed 'rules' I've had to use on some games to get the most out of them, and I feel like I might have to do the same in this. So far, I'm thinking:

No fast travel

Do not use the ammo refill points

Only use the map in emergencies

Count yourself lucky you're not playing the PC version. It's actually quite a bad port with random framerate drops all over the place even on top end hardware. It's basically an engine problem I think. Though I did find removing the high res texture pack helped, as it seems they didn't bother optimising it so it causes lots of stuttering.

15 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

It doesn't allow you to.

Indeed! Annoyingly... I started off on the easiest setting* - but somehow it reverted to normal again. Not sure what is going on there TBH. However turns out "Normal" is fairly easy anyway - in fact didn't even realise it had flipped back to normal again. :) 

* Just wanted a walk in the park type experience to see what was on offer. Not a huge FPS fan but like try things out.

18 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Series X version seems pretty much perfect in terms of smooth running. There might have been a few moments of it slowing down, but very, very minor as far as I could tell.

You don't get the 30fps cutscenes?

I dunno if they’re trying to be edgy by having a pilot you don’t learn the name of for ages, but I find it weird that Catherine “No Fun” Halsey has made this innocent goofball of an AI, where clearly a lot of effort went into making this thing as annoying as possible, but couldn’t come up with a name for it.

I find the whole “walking onto a terminal” thing incredibly annoying, too.

The last few story cutscenes have been downright painful. 

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

think it means you get extra stuff at the FOBs, but I never really seemed to notice it doing much really.

I did suddenly realise at the end of my play through I hadn't ever had a chance to fly (or even see) one of those UNSC flying machines anywhere - does that get introduced I wonder?

You can get a Hornet at a FOB with enough Valor and later missions feature a few opportunities to nick Banshees using the grappleshot, but there's no "flying level" like in every other Halo game  

8 minutes ago, Lothar Hex said:

You can get a Hornet at a FOB with enough Valor and later missions feature a few opportunities to nick Banshees using the grappleshot, but there's no "flying level" like in every other Halo game  

I did steal a banshee or two, but it wasn't especially great. I did miss not having a distinct mission for them really.

15 minutes ago, JoeK said:

I did steal a banshee or two, but it wasn't especially great. I did miss not having a distinct mission for them really.

Yeah. Only thing I really used the Wasp for was mopping up the collectibles. But considering the amount of electric weapon wielding enemies and its general lack of being able to take a decent amount of damage did feel a smidge bleh.

Having a break from the story and mopping up some of the FOBs this evening, mainly because I find the story missions too tense to play more than an hour. Getting to grips with M&K controls now so actually feel somewhat dangerous. Determined to savour this one and take my time. 

Is it me or is that excavation site extremely difficult? I've been banging my head against it for 2 hours now and I must've died like 20 times. I think it doesn't help I stopped halfway through yesterday and all the enemies seem to have respawned, with many many more who keep dropping in. It's not really relaxing after work gaming.

13 minutes ago, Sane said:

Is it me or is that excavation site extremely difficult? I've been banging my head against it for 2 hours now and I must've died like 20 times. I think it doesn't help I stopped halfway through yesterday and all the enemies seem to have respawned, with many many more who keep dropping in. It's not really relaxing after work gaming.

Battle Rifle and fully upgraded grapple hook should see you through it.

5 hours ago, Benny said:

Count yourself lucky you're not playing the PC version. It's actually quite a bad port with random framerate drops all over the place even on top end hardware. It's basically an engine problem I think. Though I did find removing the high res texture pack helped, as it seems they didn't bother optimising it so it causes lots of stuttering.

Yeah, it runs like shit sometimes on my 3080.  Like, well below the minimum 50 FPS.  I'll remove the texture pack see if that helps....thanks.

13 minutes ago, Mitchell said:

Yeah, it runs like shit sometimes on my 3080.  Like, well below the minimum 50 FPS.  I'll remove the texture pack see if that helps....thanks.

Also, never alt tab out. I have a 3060ti and it seems fine on Ultra with textures on High (and uninstalled hd textures) at 1440p ish. The open world seems to just eat texture memory so you want to be making sure you hit the "ideal" memory level in the options too. Also keep the minimum FPS setting on and at 60, maximum one at 60 or 120.

Mine was running solid 60 fps at 4k but it was also pushing my card to just beyond what I was comfortable with so I reduced the resolution slider to 1447p (why don;t they let you set a res????) and it now performs at reasonable levels without running my fans high to keep it stable. It's doesn't seem optimised well at all.