IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

58 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

The more I play of it, the more I think that this was intended to essentially be BOTW Halo, but they had to scale back massively. I think they might have even had some basic puzzles - there's dialogue about "let's go before these get too complicated," which doesn't really fit what you're doing - sticking to cores into two receptacles. 

It would be great if people actually gave you missions around the map, rather than just being a load of Spartan corpses and UNSC NPCs who say nothing interesting. I think if they actually spoke to you, told you a bit of a tale, Fallout sidequest style, it would be a lot more interesting. 

Anyway, I'm still enjoying it, but find myself wondering what could have been.

Yeah I think it’s quite compromised from their original vision and you can see some of the vestigial remnants of that. That’s what I meant when I said that the open-world aspects feel a bit undercooked. 

I think originally the FOBs and the larger bases that you can assault (the purple icons on the map) were more fleshed out and the intention was for you to gradually reclaim the Halo back from the Banished and shut down their operations as you bulked up yours/the UNSC’s. You still kind of do that to an extent but I wonder whether there was originally a more structured system with side-quests and areas of Banished control that you visibly and tangibly weakened by taking out communications hubs and weapons foundries and stuff.

As it is now you build up a pretty formidable arsenal in the FOBs (some of the weapon variants you get from taking down the mini-boss targets are monstrous) but for the vast majority of encounters it’s kind of redundant as you’re only ever taking on a fairly small platoon of enemies that you can wipe out in a couple of minutes. It’s still lots of fun to load up a Razorback with marines or menacingly make your way to a base in a Scorpion tank and just fucking annihilate everything in your path but it’s a system that they could do a lot more with.

My hope is that now they’ve laid the solid foundation of an open-world Halo with very robust and first-in-class core movement and combat they’re able to iterate on their original ideas and flesh it all out a bit more as they add more chapters and content in the coming years.

1 minute ago, OneDvBmbr said:

I’ve had the second boss kill me about 15 times in a row now. Think I’ve got the wrong weapons and don’t know how to beat him or escape the fight. 

Is there any solution other than starting from scratch or “git gud”? I’m just crap and only playing on normal. 

I mentioned this earlier in the thread, after some diligent scientific testing I can confirm that the difference between Normal and Heroic is very small.

A lot of it has to do with precision weapons, range and headshots though, which is how it has always been. 

Haven’t tried Legendary yet but I will and I’ll see what happens. I had a saving glitch which meant I could do a two hour section over again so I changed the difficulty. 

In the Bungie games the differences were clear especially regarding the changes in the sheer amount of gunfire and grenades the enemy threw at you. It seems to be implemented differently here. Not sure. 

For anyone thinking they’d better go in on Heroic to get the best experience, you’ll have a good time on Normal. It’s a very similar challenge. 

Anyway I struggled with that second boss (which is basically a deep-end Threat Sensor tutorial) and moreover didn’t think it was a fun encounter really. 

Spoiler

Use the threat sensor, stay in the middle section and keep him in front of you. Keep moving. 

With the exception of the one that seems to require you to just run away constantly and grapple back and forth in a narrow corridor, slowly whittling his health down while avoiding getting one-shotted, I’ve quite enjoyed the boss fights. They’re certainly far more enjoyable than the truly awful Warden Eternal fights from Halo 5, which is an admittedly extremely low bar.

13 minutes ago, pinholestar said:

With the exception of the one that seems to require you to just run away constantly and grapple back and forth in a narrow corridor, slowly whittling his health down while avoiding getting one-shotted, I’ve quite enjoyed the boss fights. They’re certainly far more enjoyable than the truly awful Warden Eternal fights from Halo 5, which is an admittedly extremely low bar.

That one you mention is really easy...

Spoiler

He can't get you if you mantle onto the door frames. Took me about a minute.

1 hour ago, OneDvBmbr said:

I’ve had the second boss kill me about 15 times in a row now. Think I’ve got the wrong weapons and don’t know how to beat him or escape the fight. 

Is there any solution other than starting from scratch or “git gud”? I’m just crap and only playing on normal. 

Alien laser to take down shields or throw coils, then batter. Don’t forget to use the radar thing to find out where he is.

Also for those struggling in general, make it a priority to upgrade your Grappleshot to the new whombo-combo of the grapple-into-melee move. It’s incredibly powerful and will take out even Brutes and Elites in one hit if you’ve chipped a bit of damage off them already. Once you’ve upgraded it with the AoE perk it’ll wipe out entire groups of Grunts in one go too.

Have just started playing the campaign finally and on the opening ship bit. First impressions: cutscenes are total nonsense as expected, but satisfying to play. Of course, I stuck it on Heroic for the first play, but having just come from playing a lot of multiplayer and just completing all the Doom Eternal DLC the aliens didn't quite know what hit them :lol:. I'm sure it'll get trickier though...

Loving the gun-/gameplay, 343 have really nailed it. Still very disappointed with the open, bland world though. That's a real bummer IMO.

Also, Normal difficulty feels a bit off. It's so easy to just run through hordes of enemies without engaging them (apart from the "clear the zone" missions) and I'm not sure this is what's supposed to happen in a FPS game.

Finally got to play this last night. It’s….okay I guess. The cutscenes are terrible, beyond bad and you don’t seem to be able to skip them. 

It’s better than 5, I was playing that earlier in the week and the level design is awful. 

Still having technical problems including it asking me to buy the campaign when I’m on game pass, various sound issues and it crashing. 

The random encounter stuff has really made this for me. Had so many moments that totally remind me of CE in the best way. 

Some of the base clearing encounters have been really superb. I just hope some of the fan favourite weapons make an appearance. 

But as a return to form I couldn’t really ask for more. The new mechanics and weapons fit well in the game. A nice logical evolution as are the boss fights. 

I’m nearing the conclusion I think. I could go on for hours about various elements and how successful they’ve been, and I’ve read with interest the more negative impressions that some have been left with, some of which I agree with. The bosses are awkward. I wish the Brute : Elite ratio was reversed. 

But to cut to the chase there’s one over-riding, glaringly brilliant thing about it and that’s that it simply plays absolutely beautifully. 

As someone said before, you can ‘rate’ each Halo game both within the context of the series itself, or within the FPS shooter genre more generally. If you’re talking about the latter situation then all Halo games have the ‘best’ combat in the genre. Nothing really comes close. 

If it’s the former situation then I’d say that Infinite is hard to place because it’s so different not just in its environmental scope, but more importantly in its promise.

We wanted a fitting evolution, and this is it. Big Halo here we come.  

Very exciting. 

That combat is still there and it’s wonderful. I’ve had some electrifying gunplay moments. Perhaps not quite the type CE could muster, but you couldn’t sprint in that game - that’s a huge difference. You couldn’t not have sprint these days. 

Infinite is clearly unfinished. But that matters less nowadays because it can be fixed. 

This game is already a monumental achievement, I can’t wait to see what is to come. 

I don't get what's wrong with the cutscenes, personally. It might not be the most scintillating writing, but the voice acting is inoffensive and they're not that long. I thought the opening cinematic where that big monkey bloke throws you over the railing was quite cool, in a silly sort of way. I'm only two hours in, though.

13 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

I don't get what's wrong with the cutscenes, personally. It might not be the most scintillating writing, but the voice acting is inoffensive and they're not that long. I thought the opening cinematic where that big monkey bloke throws you over the railing was quite cool, in a silly sort of way. I'm only two hours in, though.

The cutscenes, the story, direction etc. are all fab, it’s just a shame about the frame pacing and the blown out brightness. Hopefully they’ll fix that because the rest of the game is very solid. 

The cutscenes and story direction are crap, it's hilarious they robbed God of Wars cinematography and used it for all these bits in Rita Repulsa's lair where the Saturday morning cartoon villains are yelling at each other about how they'll totally get Master Chief next week, the Banished writing is completely infantile.

I'm about 90% of the way through and the game has just started to tell me what was going on in the intro cutscene, like finding out what was going on is actually the whole plot? Except the main character knew what was going on because he was there, so all this just serves as revelations for the players rather than the characters? You could write a whole dissertation on the problems with the writing, I think.

EDIT: And completed, really enjoyed this at the start, but by the last few missions I was really ready for it to be over. There's one that tries to evoke different bits of Forerunner architecture from throughout the series, but it just goes on so long it felt reminiscent of the library more than anything. And some of those bosses are worse than the Halo 2 ones, I swear.

2 hours ago, Jamie John said:

I think if you're invested in the whole lore of Halo, then the story works perfectly well. 

Which I am.

However, if that doesn't  tickle, then the gameplay is more than strong enough for anyone to ignore it all and just shoot things.

It's great.

7 minutes ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

Ahh fucksticks. I've just died for the first time in ages, and apparently it hadn't been autosaving cos it put me back to where I was when I started playing 3 hours ago. I was loving the game, but fuck man.

That happened to me too. 

Anyone else not able to access the gamepass version ATM? Played the opening section till you get outside for the first time. Absolutely loving it. Came for a swift session before shopping and the only option I have is to buy the game... GP fail, nope FH5 works just fine... Guess I'm not playing then :(

53 minutes ago, JoeK said:

However, if that doesn't  tickle, then the gameplay is more than strong enough for anyone to ignore it all and just shoot things.

Exactly. I think the story and writing are bobbins, but I couldn't really give two hoots because they absolutely nailed the Halo gameplay for me.  The weapons in particular feel amazing and hefty and thuddy. Graphically I think it's a bit of a mixed bag. Sometimes it looks incredible other times much less so, but again, that doesn't really matter when it plays so well.

44 minutes ago, Quexex said:

Anyone else not able to access the gamepass version ATM? Played the opening section till you get outside for the first time. Absolutely loving it. Came for a swift session before shopping and the only option I have is to buy the game... GP fail, nope FH5 works just fine... Guess I'm not playing then :(

I had this the other day, fixed it with a complete shutdown of the Xbox.

Regarding the story, my memories are quite hazy but the story was always kind of basic and shit wasn’t it. CE was all about those combat loops, and this feels the same (when you’re not traversing the somewhat bland world). 

Im sort of getting a bit of the negative comments here, it doesn’t quite hang together as wonderfully as I remember with the original two or three games. However it’s still better of any other FPS I’ve played in recent years. I really hate the boss fights though :(

7 minutes ago, Minion said:

My only gripe at the moment is the way to cycle grenades and armour. Why can't I just use left dpad to cycle the grenades, not left then look at a really small symbol in the bottom right of the screen to work out what to press next to get the grenade I want, and I don't think you can change this either unless I'm missing something glaring.

Yes! It's been causing me a bit of confusion  too. To the extent that I kind of ignore all the Spartan moves and just leave the thing on grapple for much of the time. Grenades I just go through what I've got - they all cause enough carnage to not worry me so much!