IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

5 hours ago, Boothjan said:

Sticking him with grenades when he ran at me, then grappling the fuck out of the way.  Fortunately there are plenty of weapon caches with grenades everywhere - didn't take long.

I found trying to shoot him wasn't working too well.

Was it is one who...

Spoiler

Camouflages? In which case the scanner thing made it a piece of cake for me. Just put that in the room and I could see him the whole time.

I'm enjoying this so far, but I'm not really loving it. It feels like Halo with a lot of the more distinctive elements rounded off and loads of generic stuff added on. So you've got loading screens with tips, boss battles, ammo crates, upgrades, map icons to clear, etc. You effectively never run out of ammo for primary weapons, the battle rifle is laser-accurate, the aiming is very generous, and almost all the enemies are vulnerable to headshots, so it feels like I'm engaging everyone well outside the range in which they're a significant threat. You don't have to switch up weapons particularly, so you can just hang onto the most effective ones. The vehicles seem to have almost no inertia, so that instead of the lolloping, bouncing power-slides you got in the old games, they just run around like dodgems. It all feels subtly off.

I dunno. I feel like a middle aged man, angry that someone's done a cover of my favourite song, and the people doing it are weird kids from Youtube who I don't understand. I probably will end up liking it, and it looks very nice (albeit not amazing), but I also feel like the new elements are things that are almost as old as Halo is, and are things I've played millions of times before.

Welp finished Halo Infinite. Caned 90% of the side missions yesterday (missing propaganda towers and artifacts) and went through the story today.

You can really tell they were trying to turn away from the disaster that was Halo 5 and honestly? Pretty much suceeded.

Gonna need some time to fully digest but dont think its too hard to say that it'll be somewhere in my top 3 campaigns.

Bucket of water time I'm afraid. Despite the great start and feeling like Halo's back, this just isn't what I was hoping for as I press through it. It's getting samey already and I don't think the structure works for Halo.

The combat is so very nearly there. The weapons look, feel and sound great, but the enemies go down too easily and their AI can be predictable. I haven't had any of the holy shit moments that define a classic standoff with an Elite. I'm playing on Legendary but it lacks the vicious and cunning bite of the original. I'm not getting into those panic-stricken, one round left hiding behind a rock situations at all. There's always the option of pegging it out of there with the grappling hook or hoovering up the vast amounts of ammo and weapons everywhere. It doesn't feel like a fair fight for the enemies.

The grappling hook in the outoddor areas makes me feel like I'm in Just Cause or Assassin's Creed. Launching myself forward at map markers without paying much attention to what's around me. The grappling hook feels like a solution to solve the problem of traversing a relatively empty overworld, but it spoils a lot of the combat by reducing the tension. You're too much of a superhero.

The Phantom Pain’s structure worked in that game because there were so many tactical options available to you. I never got bored of coming up with new approaches thanks to the varied equipment and weapons. In Infinite it gets old quite quickly and never feels tactical or like I’m adjusting my approach in a meaningful or interesting way.

Night/day cycle is pointless as it doesn’t impact the gameplay at all. A real disappointment as I expected this to offer new options for stealth and tactics.

Feels like there are too many weapons with not much point in most of them as the enemies go down too easily. Legendary just isn’t challenging enough.

Vehicles are twitchy and too sensitive. The Warthog doesn’t feel grounded enough and flips over just from hitting a small obstacle.

The writing is embarrassing throughout with the Weapon being incredibly patronising and annoying. Brute voices very tedious.

343/10

17 hours ago, Talvalin said:

My only complaints so far have been the ammo crates making it too easy to hang on to favoured weapons, but more of an issue is all of the exploding crates lying around for you to throw at unsuspecting enemies, making some of the base/FOB encounters almost ridiculously easy, even on Heroic.

Yeah these are way too plentiful. Most fights for me end up with flinging these things around and punching the enemies. Not very Halo.

These crates also make no sense. Why are such lethal and volatile items just left lying around absolutely everywhere? Some of the bases can be almost entirely cleared out just by targetting the crates. Some of 343's decisions lack meaningful rationale and really bring their games down. There's an absence of sophisticated thinking in their work which you can't unsee once you've noticed it. Bungie were on another level entirely with the way they approached and resolved design issues - obviously not always perfect but when they were on they were razor fucking sharp. I just don't see that in anything 343 have done.

The ammo crates must be there to solve some problem that 343 identified during development. It seems odd given that there are also weapon racks all over, plus every enemy will drop a weapon when you kill them, but there must be a rationale behind it. 

I guess you might find yourself in a situation where you’ve completely run out of ammo, which would be pretty frustrating, but that applies to all the previous Halo games too. 

1 hour ago, Popo said:

The UNSC is supposed to be the United Nations, so it’s a shame that all the marines are just American, so far. Apart from the pilot.

It’s set in 2561. The Americans have absorbed the entire world into their language and culture, besides a small Spanish village apparently.

This feels like a further evolution of the covenant based levels from 4 and 5 more than a return to Bungie era Halo.

Which is fine. I really like the covenant levels from 4 and 5.

I did get chills at one point engaging some grunts at long range, it felt for a moment like the Halo game I always wanted - the one that's hinted at in the ODST hub level, the 2nd level of CE and that free roaming bit towards the end of 5. But the AI, the weapon feel, the encounter design (must be very hard to rival classic Halo encounters in an open world)... It's not quite there. 

It's very good by the standards of the whole genre, but just decent by the standards of the franchise.

2 hours ago, Popo said:

The UNSC is supposed to be the United Nations, so it’s a shame that all the marines are just American, so far. Apart from the pilot.

It's notably tragic that the voice actor behind Chips Dubbo, the famous Australian marine who appears in most of Bungie's Halo games, hasn't returned since ODST.

Get clear, Chief!

37 minutes ago, Kiwi Cake said:

It's notably tragic that the voice actor behind Chips Dubbo, the famous Australian marine who appears in most of Bungie's Halo games, hasn't returned since ODST.

Get clear, Chief!

Yea, precisely. Even though Halo is a game about killing things, the tone of Combat Evolved was always more adventurous and fun, like a Buck Rodger’s serial, than a hoo-ra jingoistic military war game. The marines having different nationalities and quipping all the time added a lot to that. I appreciate that Infinite is an attempt to rediscover that spirit of adventure, and away from the dour tone of something like Reach, and with the madcap Covenant banter they’ve done good work there, but just think they could have spiced up the marines a little more. It’s a minor criticism in the grand scheme. 

The way the game offers you lots of tools available and at your disposal, I feel is a very deliberate one! 

They’re trying to reinforce the game as a loose and fun sandbox where you can play and approach the game as you like. Sure Halo : CE would basically force you to run out of UNSC weapons and basically scavenge and use what you could find, but I just think this game has a different vibe. It’s a big Tonka-truck playground. 

Im a fan of the weapon degradation in BOTW as it was basically just like running out of ammo in Halo 1 and having to improvise on the back foot with what you have at hand. That’s fun! But sometimes swinging it the other way and loading you with tools is fun too! 

I'm loving it. I think the moment to moment gunplay is absolutely smashing, and - as a self-confessed nerd of the lore - the story works for me perfectly well. I like Cortana 2.0 too.

Also, I love seeing other 

Spoiler

monitors around the place. Even sub-monitors ;) . I wish he'd have had more screen time!

So far this has been a thoroughly great ride.

The more I play of it, the more I think that this was intended to essentially be BOTW Halo, but they had to scale back massively. I think they might have even had some basic puzzles - there's dialogue about "let's go before these get too complicated," which doesn't really fit what you're doing - sticking to cores into two receptacles. 

It would be great if people actually gave you missions around the map, rather than just being a load of Spartan corpses and UNSC NPCs who say nothing interesting. I think if they actually spoke to you, told you a bit of a tale, Fallout sidequest style, it would be a lot more interesting. 

Anyway, I'm still enjoying it, but find myself wondering what could have been.

Got up to the end of the dig site mission today. What a long mission! I think I started it and took nearly 2 hours to finish!

Spoiler

That Bassus fight wasn't too difficult but seemed horribly designed. I really don't know what they're looking for you to do in these fights on Heroic and Legendary. It basically turned into Benny Hill.

Then the mission goes on and on, with very little exposition. My interest died when the Harbinger showed up, and the boss fight with the two enormous Brutes before you meet her was pretty crap, too.

That all sounds a bit negative, but I'm still really enjoying it. 343 should just avoid putting boss fights into their games. I don't think they've ever managed a good one.

There's a Zelda-esque puzzle solved jingle a couple of times in the opening chapter which cracked me up. That backs up the Halo but BOTW theory anyway.

I haven't heard it out in the open world though, or maybe it's been drowned out under all the gunfire and chaos.

Had a weird thing happen, not sure if it was a glitch or not. There was a minute ship in the middle of an orangey pulsing globe in a quiet area.

Took an age to destroy and nothing happened afterwards. Leaning towards glitch.

I think I captured a video of it and will post it when I have a moment.

I’ve had the second boss kill me about 15 times in a row now. Think I’ve got the wrong weapons and don’t know how to beat him or escape the fight. 

Is there any solution other than starting from scratch or “git gud”? I’m just crap and only playing on normal. 

9 minutes ago, chris on the moon said:

So glad they brought back the joyless boss battles.

Yeah. I enjoyed the one against the 

Spoiler

sentinel / monitor 

but not the others so far. Bosses and Halo is an awkward fit. Those floating guys in Halo 2 provided rubbish fights, it’s been a problem since the Bungie days. (As an aside I do remember thinking the Hunters in Halo CE were some kind of boss the first time I fought them). 

The Halo 3 Scarabs were a decent approach, if you’re going to have bosses at all. 

But I’d sooner run into top-level Elites with overshields and swords than anything ‘unique’. 

3 minutes ago, OneDvBmbr said:

I’ve had the second boss kill me about 15 times in a row now. Think I’ve got the wrong weapons and don’t know how to beat him or escape the fight. 

Is there any solution other than starting from scratch or “git gud”? I’m just crap and only playing on normal. 

This highlights another major annoyance - there's no option to restart from your last checkpoint, so if you get dumped into a boss fight with shit weapons and you haven't upgraded your kit, you're basically fucked unless you restart the entire level/mission.

Lots of really basic gameplay structures are completely overlooked in this game. Feels rushed and scrappy. 343 blatantly don't have the chops for a game of this calibre.