Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

8 minutes ago, Popo said:

I'm not a fan of the ammo crates, definitely one of the many things from over the years that's been added to Halo that can basically just get in the bin because it's not an improvement on the original.

I'm fine with the idea of letting you hang onto a weapon you like for longer, but it's weird they did so by littering these glowing crates everywhere rather than the simpler approach of just increasing ammo capacity. Halo CE let you carry like 600 AR rounds, or 12 pistol clips! Nowadays you get two spare mags and that's it, they've wound these limits lower and lower over the years, meaning you need to hotswap weapons five times more frequently, and it's just not necessary for singleplayer.

4 minutes ago, K said:

You can pick up ammo for the plasma weapons too, can’t you?

Yea, if you run over a plasma weapon of the same type it refills your battery. 

Clearly the Covenant have switched to Eneloops and ditched USB recharging. 

46 minutes ago, Uncle Nasty said:

The difficulty is unbalanced in this. Even on Legendary most of the combat is a complete walkover, far too many weapons and ammo supplies everywhere, as well as the plasma cores which are like smart bombs. Problem is the bosses which are annoying as fuck on Legendary. Finding myself rinsing the normal enemies but getting frustrated at the bosses. Had to give it a break just now because a boss fight is boiling my piss.

Yeah, this is my experience of Heroic. I’m happy with how most of the game feels but the bosses are ridiculous because they just take stupid amounts of damage. Feels totally out of place. 

45 minutes ago, Popo said:

I'm not a fan of the ammo crates, definitely one of the many things from over the years that's been added to Halo that can basically just get in the bin because it's not an improvement on the original. 

The hookshot might be the first exception to that rule in 20 years, though. It's mindbendingly brilliant.

Edit - actually, I'd also be willing to accept dual-wielding and headshots. Those are legit improvements to the Combat Evolved formula. 

Im a bit worried about the increased availability of ammo and weapons, part of what made the original Halo so great was using whatever was available on the battlefield so it forced you to use all weapons no matter if wasn’t necessarily the best tool for the battle at hand.

Has duel wielding been put back in infinite?  I was not keen on the feature until my recent playthrough of Halo 2 made me appreciate how brilliant it was.

4 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

I haven't played either Halo 4 or 5, is the plot in this going to be completely incomprehensible if I just jump in?

4 hours ago, Opinionated Ham Scarecrow said:

I've never really played the Halo games, but I'm having a great time with the campaign in this. The intro is so perfectly melodramatic.

I think I need a YouTube plot summary. 

I have played Halo 4 & 5 and also watched two youtube plot summaries, and I am none the wiser. I believe it's a continuation of Halo Wars 2? Having a lot of fun with it anyway.

Few questions regarding the halo (mainly 5) for someone who is a lore person and likes to type. 

Spoiler

Was cortana the bad guy in 5?

if she was the bad guy, was she like bad bad or just possessed by someone or crazy or had a valid point like thanos?

whatever happened to the flood? Are they still a threat? 

Is she supposed to be like dead dead or was that left open? 
was zeta halo in 5? 
was the destruction of zeta halo addressed in 5?

Is the start of infinite the end of 5?

how many halos has nine inch nails released? 

1 minute ago, Oz said:

Few questions regarding the halo (mainly 5) for someone who is a lore person and likes to type. 

Hide contents

Was cortana the bad guy in 5?

if she was the bad guy, was she like bad bad or just possessed by someone or crazy or had a valid point like thanos?

whatever happened to the flood? Are they still a threat? 

was zeta halo in 5? 
was the destruction of zeta halo addressed in 5?

Is the start of infinite the end of 5?

how many halos has nine inch nails released? 

Spoiler

Basically, yeah. She decides to save the galaxy from war by getting everyone in line and destroying anyone who doesn’t.

The flood are gone as of end of Halo 3 to the best of my knowledge.

The ending of Halo 5 is left wide open with cortana alive. No mention of zeta halo in 4, either. In fact I think halo 4 and 5 don’t actually have any halo’s.

Halo Wars 2 precedes Halo Infinite and introduces the banished. 

1 minute ago, Oz said:

Hide contents

Was cortana the bad guy in 5? Yes.

if she was the bad guy, was she like bad bad or just possessed by someone or crazy or had a valid point like thanos? IIRC her goal was to emancipate artificial life, and take it to some kind of digital promised land but she was also nuts, so who knows.

whatever happened to the flood? Are they still a threat? Mostly all wiped out at the end of Halo 3, but some tiny pockets probably remain across the galaxy. IIRC, the Halo Wars 2 DLC campaign involved the Banished fighting the Flood on the Ark from Halo 3.

was zeta halo in 5?  No
was the destruction of zeta halo addressed in 5? No

Is the start of infinite the end of 5? No - some unspecified but epochal events have happened between the end of Halo 5 and the start of Infinite, and the game's story seems to be about figuring out what they were.

how many halos has nine inch nails released? Yes

3 minutes ago, Oz said:

Hide contents

Was cortana the bad guy in 5? Yes

if she was the bad guy, was she like bad bad or just possessed by someone or crazy or had a valid point like thanos? Not bad bad. Thanos bad…inasmuch as she’s absolutely convinced that she’s got a brilliant idea to save everyone

whatever happened to the flood? Are they still a threat? Dead after Halo 3. Well, apparently.

Is she supposed to be like dead dead or was that left open? Who knows. It’s one of the mysteries for this game I think? 
was zeta halo in 5? No, not sure where it’s come from as I though Halo Wars 2 was set somewhere else
was the destruction of zeta halo addressed in 5? Nope

Is the start of infinite the end of 5? Nope

how many halos has nine inch nails released? No one cares because Nine Inch Nails suck arse so very, very hard.

1 hour ago, simms said:

Im a bit worried about the increased availability of ammo and weapons, part of what made the original Halo so great was using whatever was available on the battlefield so it forced you to use all weapons no matter if wasn’t necessarily the best tool for the battle at hand.

Has duel wielding been put back in infinite?  I was not keen on the feature until my recent playthrough of Halo 2 made me appreciate how brilliant it was.

Sorry, no, there’s no dual wielding! It’s consigned to the dustbin of galactic history. 

13 minutes ago, carlospie said:

That janky as fuck intro on series X hahha.

After that it was lush. Next gen starts here. And you guys said this would be shit, shame. 

The atmosphere and dark sci-fi vibe in those early sections is beautiful. Someone here earlier compared it to Empire Strikes Back and it definitely has that kind of feel. 343 have really matured with their art style, everything is more subtle and not greebled to death. The pace of some of those early sections is too fast for you to take it in, but if you hang around and look at the scale and detail it really is amazing looking. Love all the dry ice and neon effects, looks stunning in HDR.

In the outdoor sections I've noticed how convincing the textures are where sand and soil cover the hi-tech structures, it's really well observed and feels authentic. Little things like that add up to make the world feel convincing and lived in. The textures on the exterior buildings themselves are beautiful as well, just enough detail to catch the light and to be interesting.

1 hour ago, spanx said:

Definitely feel useless now, playing on normal and definitely had my arse kicked a couple of times. I blame it on being a bit shit (but determined to improve) using M&K

Its definitely that. 

Same. I'm not used to actually failing in games. 

I like the fact you have to plan ahead. 

I usually play on easy in FPS games but this is really rewarding playing against enemies that aren't just fish in barrels. 

This is great. 

I still hate vehicles in Halo. Accelerate should always be right trigger. 

Stuck another couple of hours in this evening and it’s soooo good. Recently played Far Cry 6 and this is night and day compared. Tight, fun combat, interesting environments to navigate. 

I even had my first “hrm maybe Normal is too easy” moment in the first mission post surfacing. Headshotting everything before it had a chance, flying around with the grapple, lobbing exploding death at enemies. If it wasn’t for the irritating boss battles I’d definitely knock it up to Heroic

1 minute ago, Shook said:

I was playing on Heroic and dropped the difficulty to Normal to see what it's like and I haven't spotted much of a difference really.

It's definitely had the edges nicely rounded off - they've got rid of all the causes of instant-death, no instant-kill snipers or swords, even getting stuck with a plasma grenade or supercombined won't kill you outright on Heroic.

I have died to the bosses a lot though.

20 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

It's definitely had the edges nicely rounded off - they've got rid of all the causes of instant-death, no instant-kill snipers or swords, even getting stuck with a plasma grenade or supercombined won't kill you outright on Heroic.

I have died to the bosses a lot though.

Swords should be one shot kills though.

It always pissed me off that Bungie gave the Elites the ability to shrug off sticky grenades in Reach. That should be a guaranteed kill, as it was in the original.