Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

6 minutes ago, geldra said:

i noticed that the other day when I read a post of yours about trees not moving. They don’t appear to move when in the maps though. Sadly. 

edit: maybe I’m wrong. 

it is such a small thing but it’s one of my first memories of Halo CE, that the trees and the sunlight through them, when you first land on the ring, look amazing. 

And that original grass texture! I spent far too long looking at that!

I’m literally on the first level of the campaign but if I have one small grumble it’s that there just seems to be too many weapons kicking around. Like, too many gun racks literally all over the place. 

Brutes man, idiots!

(I mean I knaa it’s a videogame about shooting the shit out of everything but still, there’s no real sense of “ooooooh let’s see what this weapon can do in this situation” that I think was present in previous games)

i hope one of the skulls is to bin off the ammo refill stations n’all. Whoever said they were a bad idea, I strongly agree.

9 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Can you destroy the propaganda towers? If so how?

just shoot them?  I was using plasma weapons, dunno if you need to be on a certain ammo type. make sure you shoot the orange fuel-looking part though and not the metal housing?

15 minutes ago, Triple A said:

just shoot them?  I was using plasma weapons, dunno if you need to be on a certain ammo type. make sure you shoot the orange fuel-looking part though and not the metal housing?

I tried shooting them, guess I hit the wrong bit!

20 minutes ago, geldra said:

new obsession: the hexagonal texturing on the Covenant Carbine. 

Oh yeah, I've seen that. The way the light bounces off it is lovely. In fact, all the textures have been really nice so far. The first two indoors levels look excellent.

Yes the guns sound brilliant in this. But, as I'm sure has been mentioned already, the ambient sound is amazing as well. Just standing on the ring you can hear the wind blowing through, birds singing and the creak of tree branches (if you are near trees), makes the ring sound so full of life.

yeh I think it looks better on those early levels and inside with the mood lighting and the metallic walls. going out into the open world has been disappointing.

The weapon is telling me how nice the open world looks and I am sitting here thinking "well this looks a bit last gen". 

I don't know if it is that I outgrew videogame writing, but this forced infantile banter is terrible in my opinion. The weapon is not funny and worse, it seems like they thought she was?

Another pet peeve of mine is this fucking stereotype that Hispanic people walk away muttering bollocks to themselves in Spanish when they get annoyed. This subtle American racism that creeps into their media does my head in. Although my wife does do that on occasion. :) 

I think the multiplayer is better than this campaign so far.

I spotted a typo in a menu which gave me some cyberpunk PTSD flashbacks. 

There’s some multiplayer armour customisation pickups dotted around the map but it seems the different colours are only for the armour that’s in the battle pass. The fact the colours aren’t universal anyway is a bit weird/shit but to be able to unlock stuff in the campaign you then can’t use is top tier trolling.

I have the battle pass but it’s a crappy move.

11 minutes ago, Kryptonian said:

There’s some multiplayer armour customisation pickups dotted around the map but it seems the different colours are only for the armour that’s in the battle pass. The fact the colours aren’t universal anyway is a bit weird/shit but to be able to unlock stuff in the campaign you then can’t use is top tier trolling.

I have the battle pass but it’s a crappy move.

Not sure that's right, if you picked up the game down the line when this battle pass was over, you'd not be able to use them full stop.

The battle pass doesn't have a time limit once you buy it, but it will rotate out of the store when the next season rolls around.

Then again, given their amazing reasoning skills regarding the battle pass and challenges as a whole, maybe they are that crazy.

5 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I also was really surpised at the presences of loading screens! Especially on death, as that's never been the case before! They're barely needed either as restarting after death is still quick. 

Do you remember when they announced Series X they said one of the features the SSD gets around is the lack of load masking such as crawling through crevices or getting in lifts. So it made me chuckle when not only was there such a lift sequence in Halo Infinite, but it also paused half way through and said ‘loading’. Like the game literally comes to a halt for a second. 

One of the things that's disproportionately annoying me in this is the loading screen when you die. It's only up for a second or so, but it feels weird that's in there given that every Halo game since the first one has instantly put you back to the last checkpoint when you get killed. 

The difficulty is unbalanced in this. Even on Legendary most of the combat is a complete walkover, far too many weapons and ammo supplies everywhere, as well as the plasma cores which are like smart bombs. Problem is the bosses which are annoying as fuck on Legendary. Finding myself rinsing the normal enemies but getting frustrated at the bosses. Had to give it a break just now because a boss fight is boiling my piss.

19 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Not sure that's right, if you picked up the game down the line when this battle pass was over, you'd not be able to use them full stop.

Yeah I meant to add that to my post too but got distracted. Unless it’s dynamic and looks what you have?

I'm not a fan of the ammo crates, definitely one of the many things from over the years that's been added to Halo that can basically just get in the bin because it's not an improvement on the original. 

The hookshot might be the first exception to that rule in 20 years, though. It's mindbendingly brilliant.

Edit - actually, I'd also be willing to accept dual-wielding and headshots. Those are legit improvements to the Combat Evolved formula. 

The combat does seem quite easy. The plethora of ammo crates means I can just hang onto a battle rifle - which absolutely smashes everything except elites and high-level brutes - and use the other slot for a power weapon.

On a more positive note, exploring is really rewarding. I saw a large hill on the map and decided to climb it, and found a unique encounter at the top, as well as a spectacular view.