IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

5 minutes ago, Harsin said:

That's because they're doing their best to sweep Halo 5 under the space carpet.

People are so down on 5, without it though we wouldn’t have this - there’s a clear line that can be drawn from the Sword of Sanghelios levels in 5, to Zeta Halo. So for all its problems it definitely served its purpose, and again with the multiplayer, which was/still is, excellent. Infinite is just a refinement of that. 

42 minutes ago, Jackson said:

My problem with the opening cut scene is how "grey" and washed out the space scene looked. Looked crap on the lg cx, where are the deep blacks? Thankfully the game itself looks stunning.

I think the bigger problem is how much stuttering there is in the opening scene, completely ruins it. How this got through quality control I don't know. Digital foundry picked up on this and 343 said a fix is underway. 

26 minutes ago, Minion said:

PC dudes, is there a way to physically set resolution rather than this weird percentage bollox?

Not found anything. Essentially I think it is setting the res in here. 4K is the base res and lowering the % just scales down to that res. I expect the resolutions you can scale to will dependant on your hardware setup? Not sure.

8 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Not found anything. Essentially I think it is setting the res in here. 4K is the base res and lowering the % just scales down to that res. I expect the resolutions you can scale to will dependant on your hardware setup? Not sue.

Thanks, that's kinda what I worked out. Would be nice to set a res just for stability but whatever. It's actually got me to download afterburner and set a fan curve on my GPU after a year of owning it lol! 

12 hours ago, Thor said:

I posted about it in the console wars thread to take the piss, and some were saying "it's probably a stylistic choice, it's not even a problem".   :lol:

If wasn't a problem, MS/343 would not have swiftly got in touch with Digital Foundry to say they're fixing it in a later patch.

I want to play this on PC, but apparently it's a bit of a dog's dinner on that too. I'll wait until it's had a patch or two.

No, that's not what people were saying at all. It was pointed out that some games do a hard switch between 60 fps for gameplay and 30 fps for the cut-scenes. I was one of the people who said that I like that sort of thing, and if it's like that then it will be a stylistic choice. 

Seen as the game wasn't even out yet, and who would watch those DF vids before playing the game? ... it wasn't till actually playing the game that yes, the screen update is still opperating at 60 fps, but the animation is all wonky and juddery. So yes, it is an actual issue and not actually that stylistic choice people where talking about, which is a completly different thing. 

This doesn’t work with quick resume at all for me. Not just the multi, if I close the Xbox during the single player when I open it again it asks for a license and I have to hard reboot the console in order to continue. 

Why can other devs make quick resume work perfectly yet Microsoft never have it working for any of their new games? 

It's the feeling of space that's returned.

All these brilliant, dynamic combat mechanics wrapped up in the audio and visuals going in hand in hand to create a perception of room around you.

Just like in CE.

Leaping around to look down on a FOB from anywhere is fantastic.

Not sure how 'noisy' the bosses will get but I enjoyed the first one after I worked out the attack pattern. tbh when I first saw there was a boss I thought nooooooooo and had my first negative deja-vu feeling (amongst all the positive ones), but it was fun.

I do hope we get top-level Elites appearing as bosses at some point though. I think the intro of very theatrical space opera elements win H2 was, for me, a bit of a wrong turn.

re: Heroic difficulty, it's good. Easy in many encounters but can be a bitch.

35 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Not found anything. Essentially I think it is setting the res in here. 4K is the base res and lowering the % just scales down to that res. I expect the resolutions you can scale to will dependant on your hardware setup? Not sure.

You can actually bodge DLSS for games that don’t support it in the GeForce experience app now. Mine defaulted to my native res, which has to remain set in order to fill the screen (because it only uses borderlesd fullscreen and wouldn’t fill the screen otherwise) and then gave me a slider to change the internal render resolution. Seems fairly normal. 

I was playing this last night on my tablet via XCloud Gamepass App, while on my boat moored out in the countryside. No installation, no updates, no juddering cutscenes and no lag, just a 23 second gap from opening the app, loading the game, to actually playing. Absolute witchcraft.

As for the game itself, I had a blast. Definitely a return to form and a Halo CE vibe. Heroic difficulty is surprisingly easy compared to previous games so will switch to Legendary tonight. You're not playing it right unless every fight is hard fought.

Wort Wort Wort/10

43 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

No, that's not what people were saying at all. It was pointed out that some games do a hard switch between 60 fps for gameplay and 30 fps for the cut-scenes. I was one of the people who said that I like that sort of thing, and if it's like that then it will be a stylistic choice. 

Seen as the game wasn't even out yet, and who would watch those DF vids before playing the game? ... it wasn't till actually playing the game that yes, the screen update is still opperating at 60 fps, but the animation is all wonky and juddery. So yes, it is an actual issue and not actually that stylistic choice people where talking about, which is a completly different thing. 

Besides, who cares about a few juddery cutscenes when the actual important bit - the gameplay - is so good?

Thor just appears to want to put it down at every possible opportunity for some reason. Leave him to it, while we’re having fun taking out the Banished.

Without sounding like those incels who moaned about the lady ghostbusters or whatever, but no longer having to put up with the spacemarine clown squad of Halo 5, with their 50% opacity HUDs, civil servant workplace banter and plick plick guns, I feel like I’VE GOT MY HALO BACK

I did have a massive technical issue yesterday where I stopped being able to launch the game altogether on PC. clicking the button launched something I had never seen called games services or windows services. I am on the latest everything (windows, updates, drivers).

I tried to resolve the issue by going into manage game content and unticking the high rez texture box. I then ticked it back on which trigger the download of 7gigs. I then decided to cancel that download and just play low rez. However, cancelling the download deleted the entire game.

I have reinstalled altogether and can jump back in. Frankly, I consider it a blessing I did not have to reinstall windows. 

3 minutes ago, JPL said:

Besides, who cares about a few juddery cutscenes when the actual important bit - the gameplay - is so good?

Because it's a bit annoying? And a fix is coming which is weird that they wouldn't of had it finished for launch.

The other super weird and crap thing is the horribly washed out initial cut-scene. How they released that with such incorrect black levels is beyond me. 

Also, if you don't care then don't reply on the matter and talk about the gameplay instead. 

3 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Because it's a bit annoying? And a fix is coming which is weird that they wouldn't of had it finished for launch.

The other super weird and crap thing is the horribly washed out initial cut-scene. How they released that with such incorrect black levels is beyond me. 

Also, if you don't care then don't reply on the matter and talk about the gameplay instead. 

Why so nasty? I was on your side there.

1 minute ago, Oz said:

I did have a massive technical issue yesterday where I stopped being able to launch the game altogether on PC. clicking the button launched something I had never seen called games services or windows services. I am on the latest everything (windows, updates, drivers).

I tried to resolve the issue by going into manage game content and unticking the high rez texture box. I then ticked it back on which trigger the download of 7gigs. I then decided to cancel that download and just play low rez. However, cancelling the download deleted the entire game.

I have reinstalled altogether and can jump back in. Frankly, I consider it a blessing I did not have to reinstall windows. 

This is how I fixed it, don’t know if that’s a good or bad way but it worked.

Is the High Res textures pack only required for 4K, if so I can probably uninstall that?

7 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

The intro 343 movie also looks like utter crap on a C1 with light grey outer space and banding out the wazoo (the Xbox Game Studios one at least has correct black levels). Speaking of, why the hell are we still suffering through unskippable logo cutscenes in the age where SSDs and quick loading are the selling points of the consoles. Yes, I'm sure Xbox Game Studios and 343 are very proud of their swishy CGI logo reveals but I don't need to see the fucking things hundreds of times.

Talk to me about collectibles!

I’ve been put off about hearing you can’t replay missions but I just did the first bit after you step not the ring and the AI is telling me to go to another location. Can I come back to where I am to find the other things like logs, Spartan cores(?) etc?