Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

Playing through on Heroic and absolutely LOVING it so far. The most satisfying gunplay in many a year. It's just beautifully done.

It's kept me off multiplayer and that's some accolade.

Stupid sleep and work will get in the way now until tomorrow evening.

Very strong GOTY candidate IMO.

I'm mystified about why it didn't work or how I got it to work, I seem to have two copies installed (one in the Xbox app, one in the Microsoft store app) which are two apps in some circumstances but the same app in others. I actually package Microsoft apps and run app stores for a living for thousands of devices but bugger me if I know what's going on. It's working now which is the main thing.

Anyway, they've bloody done it haven't they. It feels fantastic, no great surprise having played the multiplayer, but that crunchy-weighty-but-nimble feel doesn't disappoint. I'm playing on heroic and it feels a tiny bit easy, but I'm playing on a mouse. I may bump up to legendary and see how I get on. I'm dying occasionally, but generally when I make a really dumb mistake or fall off something. I've gotten to the point that it opens up and spews icons onto the map. Now time for bed, but very very positive first impressions.

I'm not sure how scripted it was, but I swear I saw one of the brutes pick up a grunt and chuck him at me.

5 hours ago, AI said:

Well that was weird. Finally downloaded everything on PC, booted up the game, opening cutscene fine, then the screen had an on/off blinking effect for some reason, then Master Chief turned invisible whilst his gun was floating about in the cutscene, then cut to gameplay and was not able to move or do anything. Exited to menu, couldn't reload progress, quit game. Xbox app said update available, clicked on it, didn't do anything. Reboot PC, Windows needs an update. Back to Desktop, Xbox app, clicking on Halo Infinite now takes me to Microsoft Store and to Gaming Services.

Edge 10

If you're still having this problem, I fixed it by going into Windows PowerShell in Admin mode and pasting Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml”}

Infinite loaded fine for me the first time, then I had to restart for some graphical gubbins to take effect, and it all went to shit. The game basically broke GP for me, since I couldn't even install anything else. Just errors every time.

Once I fixed it, I then had *sigh* an invisible Chief during the first in-game cut-scene, which resulted in it freezing once I got to take control. I did wonder why guns were floating in mid-air.

Anyway, restarted and it's fine now.

That cut-scene judder is absolutely horrific, though.

I too am finding Heroic a little easy in regular fights and skirmishes. I’m just too damned good with the Battle Rifle after so many Perfect medals in the multiplayer… 😜

With that said and without giving anything anyway, there’s some really tough challenges to be found out there that have taken me a good few tries and adjustment of tactics to overcome and I’d imagine they’d be absolutely fucking nails on Legendary.

First boss in legendary was an absolute bastard. However, this might be because...

Spoiler

the game saved while he was doing his mid-air bomb, so I was guaranteed 75% damage every time it checkpointed. It did go back a checkpoint after a while, but then it saved in much the same way again. 

Just wanted to see what the first five minutes were like before I head off to work.

Yup. 

That'll do.

It looks fucking fantastic (cut scenes at 30fps, so what - looks fine).

Music...check.

Movement...smooth.

Gonna be awesome.

Can't beat a bit of Halo.

I

25 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Just wanted to see what the first five minutes were like before I head off to work.

Yup. 

That'll do.

It looks fucking fantastic (cut scenes at 30fps, so what - looks fine).

Music...check.

Movement...smooth.

Gonna be awesome.

Can't beat a bit of Halo.

I have to say although I did read in digital foundry that the cutscenes would stutter. I have not noticed that myself. and it does look great on PC at least at the start. I was expecting it to look shit based on everything I had read so far. But those first few levels look awesome. 

Yep. Just putting all the genuine concerns aside for a minute, this is the best Halo has played for a very long time. Straight from the off, it feels such a step up from 4 and 5, you can really tell they’ve polished the combat to perfection.

Can’t wait to get stuck back in later.

7 minutes ago, Oz said:

I

I have to say although I did read in digital foundry that the cutscenes would stutter. I have not noticed that myself. and it does look great on PC at least at the start. I was expecting it to look shit based on everything I had read so far. But those first few levels look awesome. 

I'll no doubt download the game for my PC eventually too, but I'm all in for the Series X experience at the moment - I don't know what it is, but I find there's some games that seem to just 'fit' for me on a machine better  than others, and the Halo series seems to scratch that particularly odd itch for me! To be honest, ever since succumbing to the charms of 4k and HDR on the TV, I find it hard to move back to playing big AAA titles on the computer, despite it being the more powerful machine by a considerable margin ;)

This seems great so far, I had a very enjoyable time even in the initial indoors levels last night. I’m looking forward to see how the surface environment plays out this evening.  I also liked the little nod to Oblivion when the structure door opens to reveal the surface, it looked amazing with the HDR effects. I think that the sound design in particular is top notch, excellent stuff. 

Couple more thoughts this morning. 

I never played Halo 5 beyond the first mission, not due to any gameplay issues rather lack of time, so I've not got stuck into a Halo since 4. It took around ten minutes to be reminded why Master Chief is such a fun character. Despite being Mr generic space marine he's plans are so stupid and responses so deadpan it's hard not to like him. 

The bad guy is equally generic. I'm hoping the story goes places.  The AI seems interesting. I have no idea what's going on, the game assumes knowledge of what happens in Halo 5 (fair enough, but a recap would have been nice). 

Fleshing out the story seems to rely on finding audio logs, bit of a dated approach but it works well enough. I like how they make a sound in the environment so they are easier to find (not so great from an accessibility point of view). 

Hit reactions are just amazing. Brute, shot to the knee then shot to the head. Lovely. Taking out Grunts is as good as ever, they've got more dialogue than previous versions, much of it very funny. 

Music has perfectly captured that Halo vibe, repeating the theme where required and building upon it too. Sound design is outstanding as well. 

I love a good late title card. Here it wasn't well done. It looked naff. Should have appeared at the reveal of the open world. 

However, the first open world battle was just incredible. It reminded me of Halo meets Far Cry 3 or Crysis. Had a big grin on my face throughout. Love just getting stuck right into the middle of a firefight and using all the tools available to survive, none of this stealth rubbish just charge in and wing it! 

When getting to the open world proper, first thing I did was climb high and just look around. Lots of interesting things in the distance that I look forward to exploring. 

Hopefully the pacing can continue through the game. Would love to have seen the game two years ago and what the original scope was. 

I started on Legendary and found the first mission pretty easy. I always play Halo games on Legendary and this was perhaps the easiest opening, almost certainly due to the copious weapons racks and ammo refills. Plus, of course, the grapple. I kind of hope ammo is a little more scarce later on as I was finding myself choosing weapons for fun rather than having to make the best use of the things lying around. 

Is it just me or does the plot not really follow on from 5? The Halo games from 4 onward, I find, have really bad stories that are clumsily told, and to be honest I didn’t really follow 5, or even attempt to, but the events depicted in the opening of Infinite, and those implied to have happened by the Weapon, have no bearing on what we saw in 5, right? 

It’s weird because the general plot thread is a continuation, but there’s lots of events that have happened to the Chief - the player character - which the player won’t be familiar with. That’s strange. 

Playing so much multiplayer has definitely improved my overall abilities on this! I only ever used to play the campaigns on Normal but I'm playing on Heroic and it seems to suit me. And I've played every single Halo campaign so that's progress.

35 minutes ago, Jackson said:

My problem with the opening cut scene is how "grey" and washed out the space scene looked. Looked crap on the lg cx, where are the deep blacks? Thankfully the game itself looks stunning.

That sounds like the classic "Let's do the cut scenes in SDR only, but the game in HDR as well as SDR". So what you may be seeing when the cut scenes happen is an SDR image in HDR, which means elevated blacks and a generally washed out image. Classic amateur hour stuff from 343i .. if that is what has happened.

d0oai4634z911.jpg

4 minutes ago, Popo said:

Is it just me or does the plot not really follow on from 5?

Considering Halo 5 is a stinking pile of shit that I didn't get very far into, I'm okay with this. :)