Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

1 minute ago, rafaqat said:

Grapple to knock shields out of the way followed up with shooty shooty is nice.

So wait. Heroic is the way to go rather than Legendary?  I've gone straight in at the deep end.

It's very Halo. 

I went for heroic and questioned whether it might be too easy given how much mp I have played. But I have found it a good challenge thus far. It is definitely a different skill dealing with the AI no matter how much you’ve mastered the movement in multiplayer.

Well this is a bit good isn’t it! Love the speed at which you can fly around thanks to the grapple. It pulls you out of a tight spot when you’re one-shot or hurtles you towards your next target, it’s wicked. Guns are great also, meaty sounding, laser beaming, exploding producing, electric conducing fun! Loving the Mangler for taking out grunts and head shotting brutes. Just made it to the surface and the open world just makes picking your own route all the more fun. Halo/10 

Only had a quick play due to life shit and also having to manually download from inside the game when I got home at 9 instead of it being ready after being queued up on the mobile app but yeah it seems very Halo, so far. Like the grappling hook but I think I'll need to swap the button for it. Comes out left arm but press RB to use. Managed to blow myself up a few times lol

Bits of this, I’m really enjoying, and bits of it I’m less keen on. I’m not sure about upgrading your shield - surely one of the best things about Halo was that your shield was set at the perfect level, and the whole rest of the game was designed around that? Along with the weapons, the AI, et. Why the need to upgrade?

Im not too keen on the ammo crates either - it feels like they dilute the formula a bit, and encourage you to stick with one weapon, rather than to cycle through what you can scavenge from the battlefield. 

That aside, I love the look of the game - the forerunner structures look incredible, and they seem to have really nailed a way of updating the original trilogy’s aesthetic in a way that keeps the clean, smooth look while upping the detail, without making it look eye-fuckingly busy. The Forerunner buildings seem to be modelled after the ones in Halo 3, with the same ornate look, but there are visual references to Halo 1 & 2 in there as well. 

I also really liked the way that it recreates the atmosphere of quiet loneliness from the first game. You can swing down to a lower level and nose around, while listening to the wind and the bird calls. It’s not like the later Halo games, where Colonel Van Bastard would ring you up and bollock you for hanging around. That said, some exploring did just get interrupted by the bearded pilot shrieking at me over the radio to hurry up, but the general vibe feels pretty relaxed in the outdoor bits. 

Played this earlier fine but now when I start it on PC it just sends me to Gaming Services in MS Store, can anyone help?

*** to answer my own question, went into settings, Apps, Halo Infinite, Advanced Options, Repair, Reset … thought oh bollocks it’s deleted it, went to reinstall it and it came back straight away. Now starting ok again. I hate PCs.

2 minutes ago, Graham S said:

Sorry, I’m sure this is mentioned many times in the last 150 pages but I didn’t see it in the last 4 pages. 

Does this not have couch co-op campaign mode?

Nope not coop until next year. And to think this was supposed to be a Series X launch title. 

Finally got an hour to myself to play some Halo Infinite 11pm-midnight. Come upstairs, launch the game, nothing but "preorder" in the menu. Update available. Run Update. Downloads entire game again. But stuck on 0%, with gigabit internet. God help me Microsoft.

Update, it has given up trying to redownload all of Halo again and is updating Skatebird instead.

Update: after updating Skatebird, the 20GB patch for Halo turned into a 3.9GB patch

Update: I was able to launch the game. When I click on "campaign" it tells me I need to download the campaign. 20GB. It is stuck on 0%.

Update: It is downloading the campaign at about 5MB/s despite me having a 1.2Gbps wired connection

Update: Skatebird is stuck at 70%

Update: the game is now running twice

image.thumb.png.51834e13bfde772bfcc97ab3e3b07f7a.png

This has totally blown me away. Halo X MGSV once you get outdoors. 

I loved the atmosphere in the opening sections, it reminded me of Empire Strikes Back, the darkness coupled with the gleaming forerunner structures, and the steam around the doors, and the eeriness of them closing behind you. Just spot on. 

Time for bed, I’ve been playing Halo Infinite since about 8am :lol:

Just now, Strafe said:

Playing Heroic. Took a few goes to kill the first boss. Then I…banished him… from breathing. (Sorry)

I loved Chief’s quip after that bit, in fact I’m enjoying all the dialogue, be it the incidental stuff or in the story, it’s all really well done. 

Near the beginning I notice they straight up ripped off the score to a part of Total Recall. And it made sense, as the area had the same vibes from that scene in Total Recall. Clearly an homage. 

Keep your ears open. It's very short. 

This is absolutely great, decided to call it a night as I started ticking off some open world locations and thought how easy it'd be to play all night. It all feels so well done, which is a little bit crazy as its obviously missing a lot too. Amazed they've managed to polish it up so well, though it's not like they didn't have the resource. 

The moment to moment gameplay is just great fun. The grapple might be the best thing added to the original formula, potentially this is the best playing Halo yet. Special mention to the hit reactions from all enemy types, delightful. 

Coop would have been a dream. Missing level select is just odd. I searched pretty well and missed stuff on the opening missions, some of it seems well hidden. I also found you can leave the game boundary and get a 10 second warning before being killed. While nothing major it is at odds with the freeform levels, grapple ability and hidden items. On one hand go explore, but on the other hand only within the boundaries we don't always tell you about. Might have just been a particular part of a level but could be annoying. Checkpointing seems good. 

Playing on launch day Xbox one for anybody else in the world that cares. 

It plays great. Runs smoothly 30ish FPS, not seen any major drops so far. The internal levels looked really good though the compromises are there on the open world. The draw distance is really impressive but you can see the detail drop off quickly. The lighting is very comprised compared to the Series X version so it looks as flat as the initial gameplay reveal last year. 

I've watched the Digital Foundry video on the Series releases. The XBone is basically the same but all the issues are bigger. For example the distant shadows cut away very quickly, which creates this flat look. Characters sometimes get a fuzzy look as well, which is odd. 

But it plays so, so well. If you are in doubt, get stuck in. 

4 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

This is included with GamePass isn't it?  It's all downloaded fine and everything, but when I try to launch the campaign it just gives me the option to preorder it. This takes me to a store where it wants me to give them £54.99. Is that right? 

In the game there is a Manage content option where I had to select to install the Campaign, I couldn’t get it to install fro. The XBOX App.

Yep, I’ve had a couple of hours in the open-world bit now and this is absolutely fucking superb. Opening up the playspace in this way really feels like a natural evolution of the formula and it expands your options massively. So many different approaches you can take when assaulting a base or outpost depending on your angle of attack, what power weapons you’ve found hidden away in the world, whether you’ve commandeered a vehicle or have some rescued marines in tow.

That emergent, varied approach to combat has always been Halo’s calling card but it feels like its apotheosis in this one because there’s just so many more variables both in its environment and the tools of its sandbox. The core feel of the movement and gunplay and the thumping sound design is the best it’s ever been, of that there’s no doubt.

The world’s much more open and expansive than I thought it’d be too and really rewards exploration if that’s your thing. There’s loads of stuff to find out there and you can really get off the beaten track and tease at the edges of its environments with the freedom the grappleshot gives you.

Really impressed so far and may well have to eat crow and admit that maybe 343i are capable of making a banger of a Halo campaign after all. Hope it manages to keep things varied and interesting, which is my only concern with it at this point, but so far it feels like a brilliant step forward for the series.

28 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

In the game there is a Manage content option where I had to select to install the Campaign, I couldn’t get it to install fro. The XBOX App.

I can't find that option. I'm on PC by the way.  I've been through every menu. I've now uninstalled the game and am restarting the Xbox app to see if that makes any difference.  It still says "pre-install" which is odd.

Loaded with the cold and tired as hell, but I'm not starting on anything less than Legendary. Not as ridiculously punishing as it's been in the past where you basically required a plasma pistol and magnum for certain shielded enemies, but early days yet.

Since you can't replay missions yet, making sure I get all the stuff along the way. Uh, that second skull was insanely well hidden and the only reason I found it was due to the scan feature. I think I might look for some collectibles guides after seeing that one.