Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

Well, that sounds a bit shit. Replaying missions in Halo is absolutely fundamental to the experience, surely? I’m not too thrilled at the prospect of a Halo campaign that you just put down when it’s finished, as if it’s an Assassins Creed game or something. 

Whats the point of skulls if you can’t replay levels? How will co-op work if you can only play at the point that the host is up to? 

Just now, Boothjan said:

I watched the IGN review and I'm sure they said you can go back and mop things up that you might have missed, want to replay etc?

You can do open world stuff at the end, but the missions are all in sealed locations that you can't revisit, and the first couple aren't even in the gameworld, so if you miss a collectable you're out of luck.

It all sounds somewhat baffling. Doom Eternal basically shows everyone how replay ability should be done in a modern game. Doing collectible stuff in that has been a joy. You can replay missions and fast travel to any point on the maps once you've done them, as expected. But the great part is you can even use cheat codes to rush through if you're item hunting.

Honestly though, the Infinite multiplayer has been so much fun, it's probably my game of the year already.

2 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Anyone know whether you can pre-install the campaign? Can't see an option for it.

It looks to unlock through the multiplayer download? There is a dropdown for campaign (I'm on the PC app) and it just has an option to "Play" and not download when you switch between the "Season 1" and "Campaign" options and both boot the game up to the same title screen where there is an option for campaign that is locked.

39 minutes ago, Butters said:

Yeah, it is on QR. Sounds like it isn't just me. I've had no issues with the feature at all until this point, but it doesn't seem to like jumping back into multiplayer. 

Yeah i regularly have to kill and restart it, seems pretty strange as it's all in the menu system it can't figure itself out but luckily pretty quick to do.

5 minutes ago, MattyP said:

It looks to unlock through the multiplayer download? There is a dropdown for campaign (I'm on the PC app) and it just has an option to "Play" and not download when you switch between the "Season 1" and "Campaign" options and both boot the game up to the same title screen where there is an option for campaign that is locked.

Brill - got that installed already. It was only a 20GB download for the multiplayer, IIRC, which seems too small for the campaign, however.

Something else that's not great about the challenges is that sometimes they straight up don't count. Just now I had a 'destroy enemy warthogs' challenge and a 'kill 10 enemy spartans with the spartan beam' side by side.

So I lasered the warthog into the next dimension with a spartan beam, killing the driver, and got progression for neither challenge. I can assume the warthog exploding would kill the driver instead of the beam, or maybe I melted the driver first, leaving it technically a neutral vehicle. I'd at least have expected one or the other though.

12 minutes ago, K said:

It's not like replaying missions in an open-world game is an unsolved problem at this point. You could replay missions in GTA V, which came out nearly a decade ago.

I think it’s more like days gone, far cry or breath of the wild where you’re clearing your way through the map rather than doing a singular thing like in GTA. If that makes sense.

1 minute ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Something else that's not great about the challenges is that sometimes they straight up don't count. Just now I had a 'destroy enemy warthogs' challenge and a 'kill 10 enemy spartans with the spartan beam' side by side.

So I lasered the warthog into the next dimension with a spartan beam, killing the driver, and got progression for neither challenge. I can assume the warthog exploding would kill the driver instead of the beam, or maybe I melted the driver first, leaving it technically a neutral vehicle. I'd at least have expected one or the other though.

Whats a Spartan beam?

1 minute ago, Strafe said:

I think it’s more like days gone, far cry or breath of the wild where you’re clearing your way through the map rather than doing a singular thing like in GTA. If that makes sense.

Maybe, but the reviews say that each story mission is in its own self-contained area. It would be hard to replay the open-world bits, but you could presumably replay the story bits if they're fenced off from the rest of the game, if only to get the collectibles and skulls etc that you missed the first time.

4 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

The laser thing that takes about five hours to kill someone. Most of the weapons have kinda dumb names, so if I'm slightly off with the Sp4nkR or whatever, I apologize. 

The big lightning gun sniper rifle? Two shot kill!

7 minutes ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Apparently if evern one bot is in the game due to someone leaving then challenges that say 'in PVP' no longer count. Add it to the laundry list of baffling decisions 343 made in multiplayer.

1 minute ago, Strafe said:

The big lightning gun sniper rifle? Two shot kill!

No, that's the Spectre or something. This one's where you hold down the trigger a while and it digitally erases your kill.

One sec, I'll go check the training grounds to get the exact name.

Edit: Sentinel beam!

2 minutes ago, K said:

Maybe, but the reviews say that each story mission is in its own self-contained area. It would be hard to replay the open-world bits, but you could presumably replay the story bits if they're fenced off from the rest of the game, if only to get the collectibles and skulls etc that you missed the first time.

Yeah maybe. From what I’ve read there’s really not much scripted stuff, it’s all moment to moment that you make yourself so maybe there’s less incentive to replay bits. Unless you love the bosses maybe.

9 minutes ago, Strafe said:

It has self-contained levels within the open world that you can't revisit without starting a new save.

Yeah maybe. From what I’ve read there’s really not much scripted stuff, it’s all moment to moment that you make yourself so maybe there’s less incentive to replay bits. Unless you love the bosses maybe.

I've seen quite a few people who've played it mention that it's a blend of open world FarCry style outposts and more gated off story 'levels'.

16 minutes ago, Dave White said:

can you still set your consoles territory to Australia and bypass the release date? Just got an X for this.

The launch times are all aligned this time around... so it won't make a difference. Unlocks tomorrow at 18:00hrs GMT.

4 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Apparently if even one bot is in the game due to someone leaving then challenges that say 'in PVP' no longer count. Add it to the laundry list of baffling decisions 343 made in multiplayer.

...seriously? (2.0)

It's amazing how they can nail the gameplay, and then create challenges that actively seek to undermine their product at every turn. Even though this is their first stab at free to play, it's not like they couldn't check their competition's approach or think about each challenges' knock-on consequences for, oh, ten seconds before stuffing them headfirst into the game.

Yikes.

16 minutes ago, Dave White said:

can you still set your consoles territory to Australia and bypass the release date? Just got an X for this.

Congrats! It's a fantastic console. You'll love it.

It's like the people who designed the actual levels, animations, gunplay, feel of movement and art, are all top of their game and then they farmed out everything else like the UI, progression mechanics, challenge system, playlists...etc to these guys.

spacer.png

19 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Brill - got that installed already. It was only a 20GB download for the multiplayer, IIRC, which seems too small for the campaign, however.

There's another 29 gigs for campaign. You can do it via the Game Pass app apparently but not working for me.

1 minute ago, pinholestar said:

The campaign pre-install not working is a right bummer. I’d love to have it waiting ready after work but you just know that we’re all gonna be sat there like lemons tomorrow evening waiting for it to download. 😫

Indeed... maybe they are still patching.. :D