Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

8 hours ago, NoVisAnima said:

The digital foundry review started off ok but when John got to the point of suggesting algorithms that 343 should implement in their engine it started making my blood boil. As a developer (though not games) it just wound me up. You can't just pop a new way of implementing lights into an engine expecting it all to work with your existing architecture. It isn't a geeky thing to suggest that stuff it's the kind of bullshit that props up people complaining about lazy devs not implementing things. Not knowing the scalability of the technique what the implications are on the rest of the system. It's hobbyist crap that's almost useless. 

DF have started to rub me the wrong way I guess, along with some "I don't know why it's dropping frames here" stuff, since with their tools they can only tell if it's a full screen alpha effect that is causing the dips.. It's not like they have a profiling tool inspecting which threads are loaded with data incorrectly, which memory instruction is taking too long, or which section of code is getting the right answer in the slow wrong way.

On topic though, I am totally ready for some quality more 60fps halo, my tv doesn't do more frames so I'll have to make do with having all the shinies. I'm  so down for new halo.

Digital Foundry, especially the one whose in to retro stuff, have great opinions about games, and what makes them good. 

It's a devastating loss that their revenue comes from stoking the console war fires with nonsense, and catering to the subsection of the audience who care more about the technology than the game it's running.

I hope we have this as a nice strong basis and then a lovely funnel of ‘episodes’ based on the tech but leading on to dofferent environments as we explore the ring more and more. If the base game is solid (which it would appear to be as far as I can tell), then I think we’ll be in for a great time with this.

Or at least I will be.

And at the end of the day, that’s all anyone really hopes for I think.

9 hours ago, NoVisAnima said:

The digital foundry review started off ok but when John got to the point of suggesting algorithms that 343 should implement in their engine it started making my blood boil. As a developer (though not games) it just wound me up.

Indeed that bit did wind me up a bit... Its OK to find where things could be improved but he overstepped the mark a bit  when he started to make suggestions. I mean if you want to develop... go develop.. there are probably a whole bunch of decisions going on as to why something is the way it is that he has no sight of at all. 

41 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Also I don't think many people in this thread will be paying for it. I'd guarantee that gives 343 a lot of rope.

Perhaps but it does beg the question is Halo a game designed for GamePass? Has the design of the game been restricted / compromised in any way because it is heading to GamePass? Guess we will never know... Certainly feels like its been designed as loss lead to get people onto GamePass and then release more DLC as time goes on. Perhaps this is why we have only one biome up to now? Not complaining though seems to be a lot to enjoy here for something that can be played for a very low barrier to entry price. It might be interesting to know if people would drop £55 on this though.

5 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Perhaps but it does beg the question is Halo a game designed for GamePass? Has the design of the game been restricted / compromised in any way because it is heading to GamePass? Guess we will never know... 

The campaign is ~20 hours on Heroic. That's about normal for a Halo game, so "probably not".

It's maybe changed because everything is now online, so you can push modes later. But then Halo isn't the only game doing that: for example, isn't TLOU2 meant to have a multiplayer mode?

No, I don't think so. I think the development was utterly fucked and they knew they could delay a year and still release it in an unfinished state because most people would be playing on Game Pass for "free" and so that would give them a lot of leeway, and I think they're right. The fact it was going to be on Game Pass was just convenient, not a factor.

Everyone playing at 60 fps whereas mr "can't get a Series X partially dueto stock and can't upgrade my pc as paying debt off from when I got sacked a couple years back and my car died soon after" here will be stuck at 30 on Xbone.

Still least I can play it! And as 30fps goes it looks solid as fuck. 

Hoping preload gets released soon.

Apologies if this has been asked before, but does anyone have problems getting back into multiplayer? When I boot up my Series X, having played the night before, it loads right up until it tries to find a match, then says there is a problem. I come back out to the dashboard, force stop the game, reboot it, and all is fine.

Just me or is this something they're going to address?

37 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

The burning question (;)) that I haven't seen answered yet, is how long do dropped weapons stay around before despawning?

I saw something related to this in one of the less enthusiastic reviews that made me wince a little:

“Additionally, Infinite breaks with a Halotradition of forcing players to swap guns in the middle of missions. It peppers both its open-world landscape and bespoke levels with generic ammo refilling stations, and these allow players to hold onto beloved weapons and spam them. As an option in easier difficulty levels, this arguably lets novices clutch their favorite weapons, and I can live with that. But harder difficulty levels shouldn't have these stations, as they break the series' principle of adapting to battlefield conditions. I hope 343 addresses this in a patch.”

So, answer to your question is, don’t know but apparently that doesn’t matter anymore anyway.

27 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

Yeah Quick Resume and online gaming just doesn't work.

Guess to be expected I guess. Online is dynamic by its nature so the game state won't exist when its unfrozen.... 

In other news apparently the disc version of this is not playable as a stand alone entity? Which probably asks the question why does it exist?

https://www.purexbox.com/news/2021/12/halo-infinites-disc-reportedly-doesnt-include-the-full-game

I guess its quite normal these days but the purpose of a disc version of a game is I guess if you live in an area with poor internet bandwidth etc you can at least play the campaign... Not sure...  Its not clear though if its just the Xbox Series updates that need the download etc.

Anyhow guess most will have a net connection but it does look like this generation might be the last for physical media. Although half expected this gen to be digital only.

49 minutes ago, Lothar Hex said:

Everyone playing at 60 fps whereas mr "can't get a Series X partially dueto stock and can't upgrade my pc as paying debt off from when I got sacked a couple years back and my car died soon after" here will be stuck at 30 on Xbone.

Still least I can play it! And as 30fps goes it looks solid as fuck. 

Hoping preload gets released soon.

I pre-loaded it last night on Xbox just open the game pass app and you can kick off the download from there.

Just now, Yoshimax said:

I pre-loaded it last night on Xbox just open the game pass app and you can kick off the download from there.

Can't see the download for this... I have the mulitplayer already downloaded so guessing its just an unlock on this?

10 hours ago, NoVisAnima said:

The digital foundry review started off ok but when John got to the point of suggesting algorithms that 343 should implement in their engine it started making my blood boil. As a developer (though not games) it just wound me up. You can't just pop a new way of implementing lights into an engine expecting it all to work with your existing architecture. It isn't a geeky thing to suggest that stuff it's the kind of bullshit that props up people complaining about lazy devs not implementing things. Not knowing the scalability of the technique what the implications are on the rest of the system. It's hobbyist crap that's almost useless. 

I mean presumably you stopped watching before the end, where he actually showed that in 2019 their engine did support those things he was suggesting and looked better for it.

Decided to plough through the challenges and was pretty disappointed that the ‘ultimate’ one was to win 17(!) PvP games. It’s the time required more than anything, it’s just not feasible, fortunately the reward is total shite but that’s not really the point.

The other challenges can be just as crap - 10 kills with the heavy machine gun on the warthog or turret. When there is such a limited chance of getting it it makes it unnecessarily tough. I’ve only really looked at them properly this week so see what all the complaining was about now.

Fortnite has a billion challenges and none of them seem a chore!

10 hours ago, NoVisAnima said:

DF have started to rub me the wrong way I guess, along with some "I don't know why it's dropping frames here" stuff, since with their tools they can only tell if it's a full screen alpha effect that is causing the dips.. It's not like they have a profiling tool inspecting which threads are loaded with data incorrectly, which memory instruction is taking too long, or which section of code is getting the right answer in the slow wrong way.

On topic though, I am totally ready for some quality more 60fps halo, my tv doesn't do more frames so I'll have to make do with having all the shinies. I'm  so down for new halo.

Yes, yes yes! Absolutely this. My prior stints in game development also gives me a similar perspective which makes DF oh so maddening. Exactly as you said! Thread conflicts, memory management, asset loading all contribute and it's barely acknowledged. It's all just loose black box testing masquerading as gospel. 

I really like DF back when it used to basically be technical reviews of the game. A buyers guide highlighting if one version of a game is to be avoided.

For example, I think one of the Assassin's Creed games (maybe Origins) ran in a VM on PC! If you had a powerful PC, it would instead run the game on a "console-like" VM limiting everything and probably running with input latency. Absolutely perfect material for DF to report on and warn buyers before hand as the game targeted consoles with a lacklustre PC version, but I don't think they even bothered! Instead they're too busy drilling down their shit opinion that all open world games are "crap". 

John Linneman and Audi should just bail, do the YouTube retro channel they so obviously want to do and stop responding to trolls on twitter all the time.