Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

1 hour ago, ilpostino said:

If this doesn't launch with a Slayer only playlist I might just bin it completely. I don't want to sit in a playlist hoping I get the thing I actually want to play.

40 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

I’ve been really enjoying being forced to mix it up to be honest, especially now they have re-balanced it so it’s not oddball 9 times out of 10. Playing in ranked people generally seem to actually try and play the objective.

Maybe we’ve been lucky but playing with in the solo/duos queue with @Kryptonianor the main queue when we have another with us I can’t think of a single drop out.

However I’m sure it will get a Slayer only 4v4 playlist along with an FFA playlist come proper launch. Hoping for a SWAT as well.

I think my main issue is that I play solo for most of the week then have a Friday evening session with mates. On the Friday evening sessions having a big playlist of everything together is great! Objective games are so much fun when you can chat and organise and everyone's actually playing the objective.

On your own though? Objective stuff can be fun. But I'd rather just play Slayer because there's no chance one person on your team doesn't get it and ruins it for the rest of you. People can suck, sure, but at the end of the day it's all down to your own personal performance and if you're good enough you can overcome a couple of shit teammates. That's not really the case with Capture the Flag if you're up against a good team and it kind of puts me off playing a bit that I can't easily jump into a quick game of Slayer. 

What BitterToad said. Much as I enjoy playing objective games, they're often totally shite if you're joining with a bunch of (often) clueless randoms who aren't using voice comms, so Slayer is my preference in those situations.

At the same time, I hope that 343 keep things sensible and don't split the player base by having too many playlists. My personal preference would be to have playlists for FFA, Slayer, Objective and BTB, but if you add ranked playlists to the first four, then you've got players spread out over 7 playlists. Is that still workable? 🤔

12 hours ago, ilpostino said:

Not when people either leave them because they can't get whatever stupid challenge they need, or don't play the objective so they can farm kills.

What is the benefit of farming kills? I don’t get that

It's simple - a large amount of people just want to play deathmatch. They have no interest in objective games. This has been the same since the days of Freeserve and 56k modems. So when they're forced to play a mode they have no interest in they just turn them into erstatz deathmatch games. This behaviour is then further reinforced becuase the current progression system only rewards the volume of games you play, not how well you play them. So they get exactly the same amount of XP whether they try and play the objective or just run around like a headless chicken going pew pew. In fact for the XP farmers out there that's probably a more efficient farming methods since they'll lose games faster than if they tried to compete and fit more games into less time. Then it's worsened again by the weekly challenge system which encourages them to ingnore the objective while they spend the match trying to get kills with a skewer or something daft. They've really created a perfect storm for this kind of behaviour.

It's a pain for those of us who prefer objective games as it spoils it for us as well. The current playlist approach is pleasing nobody. This ones on 343 because pretty much every MP game out there has seperate deathmatch and objective playlists or allows filtering - including past Halo games (both Bungies and theirs) so its really baffling that they removed it. Somebody going to say 'B,b,b,b,but it's a beta' (an increasibly meaningless term in modern releases), but does anyone seriously think that this is some technical hurdle.

I'm a bit puzzled by the rationale for what seems to be a deliberate design decision. I can't imagine that they were so worried about player numbers that they needed to consolidate playlists to this extent. You could still find games in different modes easily enough on the 6 year old Master Chief collection. Likewise I can't see that there's any benefit to it for them from a monetisation perspective, which seems to be driving some of the other less popular design decisions.

39 minutes ago, Oz said:

Is there even a way to view your k/d in the game or online? 

After the game finished check the scoreboard. Pushing right on the right analogue stick shows you everything that’s hidden off screen. It’s quite comprehensive. 

Had a few rounds on ranked last night and I SUCKED.  Bottom of the pile every game for around 5 games.  Hate it when that happens - as much as I hate myself for my 'just one more game - I can't end the night on a bad match' mentality.

But yes, part of the reason why I did so badly is because I was trying to play the objectives but my team mates couldn't give a fuck.  When you're up against 4 organised players who will gang up on you when you're on your own at an objective, you might as well not bother.

Really wanted to get my controller-only rank up to platinum but did it some damage instead, sadly.

Here's me cowering away with the oddball, hoping they don't find me. They found me.

f94ec377-8725-40cf-834e-3d130686d171-01.jpeg

38 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Somebody going to say 'B,b,b,b,but it's a beta' (an increasibly meaningless term in modern releases), but does anyone seriously think that this is some technical hurdle.

B,b,b,b,b,but it's a beta. I'd imagine that they want to have a minimal amount of playlists so they can be checking that all their matchmaking code is working with the biggest pool of players possible. Additionally I would imagine there are more things to test in an objective game than there are in simple slayer, so this enables them to get see if they have the tuning of that all correct before the game actually launches. Also on the face of it the whole front end is still pretty broken, half the time it doesn't list the number of players in your fire team correctly, you occasionally get stuck in an infinite loop when you can't get into a game, I'm assuming the top left square is supposed to be showing you what map/mode is coming up next which is doesn't currently do etc.. This version still obviously has a load of things they are ironing out and feels at times like the it's being held together with bits of string, and maybe keeping it to a few modes means it actually doesn't just fall to bits.

There is absolutely no way this won't launch with out a 4v4 slayer playlist (I'm willing to bet someone else's left bollock on that). I personally prefer having this a few weeks early and not having a full gamut of playlists than not having it until the 8th with all the playlists.

6 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Who was that guy on here who used to quit the vast majority of his games until he got the map he wanted. Wonder how he's doing nowadays? :lol:

That was bcass. One of the funniest things on the forum ever. 

He had played Halo 3 for hundreds of hours and spent something like 3/4th's of that time quiting out of matches because 1) wasn't the one specific map and 2) didn't have the needler on it, or someone grabbed it before him. Also almost all of his kills were with nothing but the Needler. :lol:

I've also noticed that if you check the available challenges whilst searching for a game and then press B to go back, it stops the search.

Hardly a big problem as it's so reliable at finding a game quickly but it's the sort of thing I would expect to be ironed out for the full release.

In other Halo news, I've persuaded my friend to get a Series S and start playing.  He's not played online since the halcyon days of the original Black Ops game.  The lure of Halo Infinite is too great.

1 hour ago, Harsin said:

It's simple - a large amount of people just want to play deathmatch. They have no interest in objective games. This has been the same since the days of Freeserve and 56k modems. So when they're forced to play a mode they have no interest in they just turn them into  erstatz deathmatch games.

Yep, bring up the scoreboard in some modes and you'll have like six players who quit out right at the start because they don't want to play that mode. I've started doing it too, if I get anything on Launch Base or whatever it's called I'll quit, life is too short.

20 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

B,b,b,b,b,but it's a beta. I'd imagine that they want to have a minimal amount of playlists so they can be checking that all their matchmaking code is working with the biggest pool of players possible. Additionally I would imagine there are more things to test in an objective game than there are in simple slayer, so this enables them to get see if they have the tuning of that all correct before the game actually launches. Also on the face of it the whole front end is still pretty broken, half the time it doesn't list the number of players in your fire team correctly, you occasionally get stuck in an infinite loop when you can't get into a game, I'm assuming the top left square is supposed to be showing you what map/mode is coming up next which is doesn't currently do etc.. This version still obviously has a load of things they are ironing out and feels at times like the it's being held together with bits of string, and maybe keeping it to a few modes means it actually doesn't just fall to bits.

There is absolutely no way this won't launch with out a 4v4 slayer playlist (I'm willing to bet someone else's left bollock on that). I personally prefer having this a few weeks early and not having a full gamut of playlists than not having it until the 8th with all the playlists.

All of this is wrong, I'm afraid, the blog post they snuck out alongside the "early launch" mentioned this is the Day 1 version, there's no playlist changes or additional maps coming at launch. Even the feedback from the earlier alphas is only making it in post-launch, and those were months ago.

They're working solely to finish the campaign and whatever Day 1 patch that gets, it seems. I agree that it's all in a very rough state though, I tried some of the weapon testing challenges and found like five bugs in half an hour.

I'm finding it really funny how big the outcry is over progression and challenges because I'm such a stupid old man and the front end confuses me so much that I don't know how to see what challenges I have and how far through them I am unless they pop up after a game. I'm not asking to be told, by the way. I genuinely prefer it this way. 

Just now, Gommy said:

Does battle pass and progression matter at all for anything other than cosmetics?

Nope. I’d argue that it makes the game a bit more fun, ticking stuff off and collecting things you don’t want with the occasional one you do, though.

11 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

All of this is wrong, I'm afraid, the blog post they snuck out alongside the "early launch" mentioned this is the Day 1 version, there's no playlist changes or additional maps coming at launch. Even the feedback from the earlier alphas is only making it in post-launch, and those were months ago.

We'll see, to my mind playlists aren't modes (they said no new modes were coming). They have all the modes: BTB, Slayer, Oddball, Strongholds, 1/2 Flag it's just a case of how they split them up. To my mind they are essentially saying don't expect something like Breakout or Infection.

Some people need quantification of the fun they're having. I'm absolutely one of those people, I need to see something for the time I've invested in a game normally. Be that cosmetic bullshit or weapon unlocks or whatever. This game is the exception to the rule. I just play it for shits and giggles, which is quite nice.

The playlist of modes lumped together bis a bad idea for all the reasons already stated and I hope they do something to separate the modes. 

I will be utterly baffled if the following playlists aren't there on 'launch' day:

Ranked Arena (Squads and Solo/Duo, split by input as well)

Quick Play

Team Slayer

Team Swat

Doubles (2v2)

Infection

Big Team Battle

There's also a game type listed in the Achievements called Elimination ("Revive a teammate in an Elimination match", possibly something like Apex Arenas?), but not sure if this would have its own playlist or sit within an existing one, but it at least confirms to me that there's more gametypes than what we currently have in the beta.

12 minutes ago, Wallace said:

I will be utterly baffled if the following playlists aren't there on 'launch' day:

Ranked Arena (Squads and Solo/Duo, split by input as well)

Quick Play

Team Slayer

Team Swat

Doubles (2v2)

Infection

Big Team Battle

There's also a game type listed in the Achievements called Elimination ("Revive a teammate in an Elimination match", possibly something like Apex Arenas?), but not sure if this would have its own playlist or sit within an existing one, but it at least confirms to me that there's more gametypes than what we currently have in the beta.

Halo 5 has Elimination now doesn't it? Must admit I've never played it.

For ref Halo 5 currently has (although these aren't what it launched with as I'm sure Breakout was a playlist on it's own and is a mode they pretty much completely removed)

Social

Quick Play

BTB

Super Fiesta Party

BTB Super Fiesta Party

Infection

Ranked

Slayer

Team Arena

Solo/Duo Team Arena

2v2

SWAT

Elimination

FFA (although this is on a rotation with other gametypes)

6 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Nope. I’d argue that it makes the game a bit more fun, ticking stuff off and collecting things you don’t want with the occasional one you do, though.

Yeah real life and too many games want me to carry on playing to tick arbitrary boxes or grind to compete.

Happy to play halo just to enjoy the games.

8 minutes ago, metallicfrodo said:

Halo 5 has Elimination now doesn't it. Must admit I've never played it.

For ref Halo 5 currently has (although these aren't what it launched with as I'm sure Breakout was a playlist on it's own and is a mode they pretty much completely removed)

Social

Quick Play

BTB

Super Fiesta Party

BTB Super Fiesta Party

Infection

Ranked

Slayer

Team Arena

Solo/Duo Team Arena

2v2

SWAT

Elimination

FFA (although this is on a rotation with other gametypes)

This is a breakdown that's doing the rounds of what was in previous Halo games.

spacer.png