IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

Oddball often doesn’t work because very few people play the objective. A teammate has the ball (me) and they just run away when we get attacked. I think the challenges are a cause, there’s no real incentive to play the objective to win when you just want to get 5 kills with a shotgun or whatever and don’t get a win bonus.

Still lost this one.

3A2805B2-3D17-44B7-977A-B25030F50163.jpeg

I played a ranked oddball game where we just hid in a corridor and covered the two ends. The enemy team lost because they spent too much time being too scared to rush us and meanwhile the time just ticked on. On the other hand had a cap the flag game where our team didn't understand the concept of how flag denial works while the enemy has our flag sitting on their base waiting to be capped. But it's Halo though and is often gloriously silly, so I try not to get too bothered by the terrible, terrible players.

Why the hell is the solo/duo ranked queue the only one that allows you to stick a controller only filter on it. I immediately notice the difference in my performance when I'm not up against PC gamers on 'rigs' that probably resemble the Blackpool illuminations using a gamer mouse with a gazillion DPI that looks like a Transformer fucked a hedgehog.

I play on PC with a controller. I've actually seen PC players complain that controller users have auto aim, so I think it works both ways. I've never once felt at much of a disadvantage enough to make me reach for the mouse and keyboard. I probably snipe worse than them, but ultimately the time to kill nature of the game levels the playing field a lot more than say, Quake I think. (A game I also recently rediscovered the multiplayer joys of in the remaster)

As an ex PC gamer I disagree, even with aim assist a keyboard and mouse still vastly outclasses a controller in fights in the vast majority of scenarios (especially ranked with battle rifle starts). You'd have to Jack up the aim assist to the level that you might as well have a lock on system to level the playing field. Speaking of which, it would be nice if you could just set matchmaking to console only just so you don't have to worry about aimbot users (seriously loads of videos of them on Halo Infinite doing the rounds), but I can't see any option to do that unless I've missed it?

I'm sure I'm a terrible player most of the time (I have to look up weapons when people just mention them by name), but I'll always try and cover a teammate in CTF or oddball. I feel in oddball I pick up the ball then have to run after my teammates as they run away from me and just get shot in the back.

Getting fed up with fiesta just becoming a sword v sword v sword v sword game though.

I've been playing the game now for about 40 hours and I have yet to experience anyone aimbotting me - unless they are all hanging about in Ranked I guess where I've spent less time.

I honestly think the worry that someone *might* have an advantage in some hypothetical way is more likely to make someone play worse. Fear is the mind killer as they say.

How would you even know without a killcam.

Crossplay is a nice feature to have, but it should always come with filters so the player can choose exactly who they want to crossplay against. Other games do it, so it's not like it’s a crazy idea.

It's pretty obvious when someone is a better shot than you I think - a perfect set of hits from a particular player on a regular basis would become more clear during the course of a match whenever you meet them as you wouldn't be getting a scratch on.

It's easy to watch a few videos and assume it's a massive problem. I suspect the reality is that if say, 1000 people are aimbotting before they get banned in a player base of a quarter million, you won't generally see them that often enough to be noticeable.

26 minutes ago, Harsin said:

As an ex PC gamer I disagree, even with aim assist a keyboard and mouse still vastly outclasses a controller in fights in the vast majority of scenarios (especially ranked with battle rifle starts). You'd have to Jack up the aim assist to the level that you might as well have a lock on system to level the playing field. Speaking of which, it would be nice if you could just set matchmaking to console only just so you don't have to worry about aimbot users (seriously loads of videos of them on Halo Infinite doing the rounds), but I can't see any option to do that unless I've missed it?

As a current PC gamer I disagree again :)

I think the thing with the way Halo plays is that doing well is just as much about picking your moment when to engage and when to pull back. So someone who has a bit better aim with a mouse+kb could get greedy and go in for the kill as you duck behind cover to recharge or reposition, and if you make a better call about where they will next appear you may well win the next engagement. I've had this happen many times - players who are clearly better than me it pays to pull back a bit, chuck some grenades, and wait for their greed to take over. Or just jump in the back of a Warthog as they come round the corner.

In a game like Quake or CS, the window of time is much smaller, and mouse+kb rules the roost as accuracy, rocket jumping or instant 180s are the order of the day. I've found in Halo leaning into the deliberate pace and ebb and flow of engagements works much better in the player favour and they survive longer.

I'm topping the kills scoreboard in Slayer at times, *despite* using a controller in this, and I would never dare to suggest I could do something like that in Counterstrike for example. If that means hopping in a Ghost to do it, that's all fair game too. There are multiple avenues of success that I don't feel you get in a lot of other FPSes, which reduces the accuracy skill gap in some situations anyway. And given I'm only average skill I think it just comes down to picking the right options a lot of the time over pure accuracy, though of course that helps.

Obviously the option should be there to switch off cross play in Ranked (and I'm sure it will be coming, along with a host of others changes on the 8th when it leaves Beta). However does it really matter in ranked*, unless you are precious about your actual Rank? To my mind Rank is about getting to a level where the matches feel even for me and you end up feeling like you have done something well if you win, it's not about being able to steamroller everyone. Personally I don't mind if for me that means being mid gold, if I was any better I'd have the same experience just at Platinum, or any worse in silver. In the end all those aim bot players/m+k players are going to be up in the Onyx ranks, and if they aren't it means that they are only as good as you with that input device anyway.

*Massive caveat obviously if you are an Onyx level player

7 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I've closed all the weekly challenges, or so I thought. Now I have a final, unswappable weekly which is earning 5 killing sprees in Fiesta. I can confirm that if your 5th kill is a from the grave, it does not count. Great.

Yeah, because you've died before you got the 5th kill.

Re aimbots. I killed this guy and obviously meant to do so - I saw him, turned and fired (#partridge) but there was clearly some luck involved. If he watched it back I’m sure he’d be claiming bullshit but I was on the xbox with a pad.

What are the dead giveaways to spot an aimbot in the wild?

2 hours ago, metallicfrodo said:

I'm sure it will be coming, along with a host of others changes on the 8th when it leaves Beta

I think this is a good point because it's easy to forget that this is still in beta - it plays so well and I really don't think the core gameplay needs much - if anything - done to it.

Tweaking options and other objectives/new, varied challenges are bound to follow from December 8th.

Any improvements to an already fantastic game will be most welcome.

This game will be my most played game of 2022. Calling it now. 

I think the only change they need is to make some of the weedier weapons have a bit more punch and introduce XP gain for winning. That is the main thing and I still can’t believe they thought not having it was a good thing (I note that some of the challenges are win based but everyone has different challenges running at the same time so it only serves to make it more infuriating)

Then some bonkers modes like rockets or hammers only, 4v4 scorpion tanks etc

hey so I placed gold in the ranked thingy and it unlocked some thingy that was purple. I have no clue what that was or where to retrieve it or even how to check what it was that it unlocked. can one of you lizards help me please. 

20 minutes ago, Oz said:

hey so I placed gold in the ranked thingy and it unlocked some thingy that was purple. I have no clue what that was or where to retrieve it or even how to check what it was that it unlocked. can one of you lizards help me please. 

It’s an emblem for one of your weapons.