IGNORED

Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls

Wallace

Are all modes crossplay? Generally doing OK against seemingly well-matched opponents with a rock solid ping but then eveyr few games I'm encountering some lunatic with pin-point headshot accuracy which just screams PC player.

I know ranked just says 'crossplay' with no option to change but I can't see an option to restrict to XB in settings.

Still loving this by the way. Ridiculous fun.

1 minute ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Are all modes crossplay? Generally doing OK against seemingly well-matched opponents with a rock solid ping but then eveyr few games I'm encountering some lunatic with pin-point headshot accuracy which just screams PC player.

I know ranked just says 'crossplay' with no option to change but I can't see an option to restrict to XB in settings.

Still loving this by the way. Ridiculous fun.

In Ranked there’s two drop-down menu options that let you select a Solo/Duo queue if you’re on your own and also control input so you can avoid going up against PC k&m players. Your Ranked level once you’ve done the 10 placement matches is tied to those options too (i.e. you’ll have a separate rank for each control input setting). Unless you turn off crossplay in the Xbox settings then I’d guess that BTB and Quick Play are more of a free for all though, but I still think there’s some level of matchmaking going on behind the scenes. I’ve certainly noticed fewer instances of absolute ninjas pinging me with unerring accuracy the longer I’ve played, although that’s also probably because I’m steadily improving as well.

Once you’ve got your placement I’ve found the matchmaking to be excellent in Ranked and I was having some really close and enjoyable games last night. People tend to actually understand and play the objectives in that mode too, so you get far fewer instances of randos doing really dumb shit like not bothering to wait for a gunner as they hurtle off in a Warthog on their own.

9 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

What does that actually do? I thought it might put you in a team of 2 but it still seems to put you in 4’s?

It’ll always be 4v4 but my understanding is that it will put you in games in which everyone is either playing solo or at the most in a party of two. So it should prevent you coming up against a 4-stack who are all communicating in a pre-made party together and sitting in gaming chairs.

11 minutes ago, Yiggy said:

What does that actually do? I thought it might put you in a team of 2 but it still seems to put you in 4’s?

It puts you in a team of 4 made of of other people selecting solo/duo queue. You won't get matched up against a pre-made squad of 4.

Ah yes that makes a lot of sense. 

There’s no non voice comms really is there? I know Up is mark which flags a location to your team but not sure of any others yet. Voice comms is the way to go but I know games sometimes have decent systems to get round that. 

Three more games of oddball in a row means that of the seven games of Ranked Halo Infinite I've played, six have been Oddball. I feel like I'm going mad. Basically my entire experience of Arena in this game has been Oddball and one or two games of Strongholds. 

Just let me play Slayer. I can't hear that man tell me when the ball has been picked up and when the ball has been dropped over and over again any more. 

Halo Infinite Oddball. 

Not at the moment no. That screen doesn't seem to do anything but tell you what gametypes you might get. Caused us much confusion on night one when we all though we were missing an option.

They should just copy CoD wholesale and have a big list that you can tick what you do and don't want to play when you press matchmake.

If a group of Spartans shoot at you with assault rifles and handguns you’ll go down and you’re under a big threat from a chain gun on a warthog* or the enemy team’s own wasp or banshee.

protip: don’t let the enemy steal your wasp in spawn because if they have two it gets tricky.

*assuming the gunner remembers to look up, which can he rather rare, admittedly.

1 hour ago, Kryptonian said:

Just had an awful few games with @Wahwah* @MalevolentPanda and @Benny. Sorry, I struggled to hit people and always seemed to be up against a bunch of guys 😩 

I was just pleased our armour colours were the same as the Ninja Turtles. I was Donatello of course (purple).

I went on to have my best ever Slayer BTB where I topped the scoreboard... Though my team still lost. Love it. BTB is definitely my favourite game mode. It also has the added bonus of never including oddball.

Oh this is a bit good. I normally tire of pvp really quickly, but this has got me hooked.

I like that you feel viable from the first match and that the default weapons allow you to hold your own, rather than having to obsess over attachments.

Hopefully they'll add something along the lines of Destiny 2's Gambit in one of the future seasons, so that there's another option if you fancy something that isn't pure pvp.

I started doing much better* in Ranked once I realised you could change the queue type to Solo/Duo and then the input type to controller only. It's a completely different "ranked" queue (you need to do your ten initial games again) but it feels like everything is on a much more even footing.

* relatively speaking

8 minutes ago, Nick said:

Oh this is a bit good. I normally tire of pvp really quickly, but this has got me hooked.

I like that you feel viable from the first match and that the default weapons allow you to hold your own, rather than having to obsess over attachments.

Hopefully they'll add something along the lines of Destiny 2's Gambit in one of the future seasons, so that there's another option if you fancy something that isn't pure pvp.

It feels like they're really re-enfourced each weapon working as a great tool for certain situations. 

Ranked seems to be often BR starts, and I've found the AR is more effective at close range that the BR! The BR is amazing for mid-long range but the AR chews through people at close range. 

I don't remember it being like that with Halo 3! The BR just trumped the AR all the time. 

I also think this is absolutely fucking amazing. So far it's basically the best Halo MP. 

That one flag mode is fucking balls. Other than that it's ace. Its quite surprising because normally I need a Skinner box, a series of arbitrary numbers to quantify the fun I'm having but seeing as I've spent the last few months grinding out like 4 season passes it's nice to play something for the sake of it.

8 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

How the hot/heck do I invert the Y axis for the Banshee?

Jeez it was embarrassing. 

There is a separate option for inverting flight controls in the settings menu, which seems insane to me. Surely the default they have it set to will confuse the vast majority of players, even those who don't normally invert their controllers.

I think the brilliant thing about this that I've not seen many people mention is how they've slimmed down the weapon pool. We've lost that Halo 5 (usual Halo 5 is the absolute nuts in multi disclaimer here) situation where every gun had three equivalents. So you had a DMR, a Covenant Carbine and a Promethean One Shot Friend (who knows what the Promethean guns are actually called?). It was never really an issue but it just meant there were 1000 weapons and everything felt really busy. In this there tends to be one tool for each job and it just means you know exactly what you're doing when you're going for a power weapon. It's a really good summary for the game as a whole; everything feels pared back but that means that it all has its place and that anything that has been added also has its place and feels really special. 

Good game, basically. Bit too much Oddball but good game. 

I'm itching to play it when I'm not and couldn't give a monkey's about progression stuff. I want to play just because it's fun, like I did with Quake, Counterstrike, Unreal Tournament, TF2, Overwatch, etc...

It just makes all the discourse about the Battle Pass online so baffling and sad, as though people have been conditioned into thinking that's the stuff that matters in a game. Sure, I get it's a bit crap if you paid for it, but the fact those people are paying for Battle Passes is what has perpetuated the problem. And considering the game is free to play and how enjoyable it is then paying a few extra quid isn't exactly the end of the world.

6 minutes ago, CarloOos said:

That one-handed Brute shotgun thing from Halo 3 (Mauler?) seems quite shit, every time I’ve tried to rely on it I’ve died an awkward and otherwise avoidable death. 

It's a pistol. It's basically a "Magnum" meaning it's slower and more powerful that the normal UNSC pistol. It's not the Mauler shotgun. 

The training mode is good for working out what job each gun does. 

Didn't get chance to get on during the weekend but just had a few sessions and it's just so easy to drop into for a few games.

I'm definitely having more luck with ranked games - up to Platinum 1 now which isn't bad considering I haven't played a Halo game regularly online since Halo 3, aside from a few weeks on Halo 5 earlier this year.

Only thing that annoys me a bit is people leaving games early on - the chance of winning an arena match when you're a man down is very small indeed.  Not seen any empty slots filled when this happens either.

6 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

It's a pistol. It's basically a "Magnum" meaning it's slower and more powerful that the normal UNSC pistol. It's not the Mauler shotgun. 

The training mode is good for working out what job each gun does. 

Yes!

I was expecting a shotgun type thing but soon found myself up slack alley.

https://www.halopedia.org/Mangler

Confusing name choice though - mangler vs mauler

• Kryptonian changed the title to Halo Infinite - OUT NOW - no campaign spoilers pls